Does anyone know of any collaborative worldbuilding games like Dawn of Worlds or Microscope...

Does anyone know of any collaborative worldbuilding games like Dawn of Worlds or Microscope? It seems like a really neat idea but DoW seems a bit simplistic and I don't really care much for Microscope

Other urls found in this thread:

scp-wiki.net/scp-1958
expirebox.com/download/24b1e5a71d2e14f9f9be86048313c585.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

There's Kingdom, but its similar to Microscope.

The Quiet Year is probably the most interesting of the world building games to come out I can think of. Its post apocalyptic group cartography. A few mechanics so its a bit more engaging.

How To Host A Dungeon is more a solo game, but its pretty neat too.

PDFs for those?

seconding this

How do these work?

Microscope and Kingdom are basically collaborative guided worldbuilding. I don't know Kingdom too well, but in Microscope you paint out the general gist of the world and the broad swath of history you'll be covering at the begining, then you go back and take turns fleshing it out, role playing different major points in history, deciding how things go, etc. There aren't any die rolls and it's all basically freeform, but it's structured in a way to make that more bearable

Dawn of Worlds is more sequenced and chronological. It's probably my favorite of the two but also the most flawed and requiring house ruling and such. You play as gods at the beginning of the world, shaping the landscape, making races, inspiring movements, blah blah blah. It's more gamey than Microscope due to you having a limited number of energy points per turn, somewhat delineated actions you can take,etc, but feels like it would benefit from some sort of mechanics for event resolution other than just "what you say happens, happens". The last time I played it we basically wrote a whole (sub)system just so we could have such a mechanic, but it would be nice to have options for it officially presented

Seems interesting although both a little lackluster or broken.

That about sums it up, hence why I was looking for alternatives.

There is an old unofficiated system floating around which originated on the TTRPG site RPOL called in some variation: The God Game, Ao: The God Game, Ao: The Void or something along those lines.

It changes every game due to each GM running it as their own game and sharing the baseline rules around rather than it being a fully outlined system.

I don't see it around as much as I used to which is a real shame, but it mainly works best as play-by-post due to the need for high-detail descriptions and record keeping alongside the GM reviewing what the players do, which can take some time.

It requires a lot of effort on the part of GM and players, but never before have I experienced better or more fun worldbuilding and gameplay going hand in hand.

You play as gods created by a "greater god" who is the GM, you create your character by listing a name, physical description and mental/personality description.

The GM as Ao does not play like the players do, but instead adjudicated the ACTions of the other gods, never ACTing himself (ACTs are the currency of power the gods use to create change in their environment).

The players do these ACTs stating what their God wants to happen, abd then the GM tells them what actually does happen and the cause and effect of such after adjudicating the ACT.

There are many basic rules which help things run smoothly while still being highly detailed, but overall I would call the system rules light with a focus on role-playing.

I have actually been working on collecting all the rules together and codifying them, but I've never uploaded them biblically before.

I could do this tonight at some point after I get off work if people are interested possibly.

Just keeping the thread alive for a time in case OP returns

Anyone other than OP interested?

Maybe. Sounds really neat.

Ok, glad to see some interest!

I'll get you the info at some point tonight hopefully

I'm looking for a world creation game, but all I can find is DoW and Microscope. There must be others out there.

I'm very interested in this.

A few years back, there were some semi-regular DoW threads where a few people would use soe trip codes and take turns editing and posting the map. I played in a few, and people not playing would give commentary and advice. It was pretty fun.

Not sure if that would go as well nowadays. Anti-quest folk would probably get upset about it.

I find DoW too freeform. I personally want something more crunchy.

Nice

scp-wiki.net/scp-1958
A bunch of hippies somehow make a flying van and try to reach Alpha Centauri, but fuck up the calculations so badly they think they can arrive in a couple of months. They all die, including their pregnant pet cat. Van due to reach Alpha Centauri in 37 million years

Shit wrong tab

>The Quiet Year
Basically everyone picks a thing about a post apocalyptic settlement (apocalypse varies), one of those things is an abundance, the other things are scarcities/problems. Everyone draws those on the map. Each turn a card from a 52 card deck is drawn (sorted into suits) that have a choice prompt you have to deal with. You can start projects, hold meetings, everything gets drawn on the map. At the end of the winter when frost Shepards arrive (someone draws the king of spades) you all decide if your settlement makes it or not. Its a lot of fun and you get a cool map when you're done.

How To Host A Dungeon is a mapmaking solo game when you drop dice on a map, plot out eras, roll some dice, and end up with a neat megadungeon abstract. Doesn't do specific corridors or that sort of thing, but can be good to work from.

The Quiet Year should be in the pdf share thread somewhere. How To Host A Dungeon too. Might be in the osr trove too.

Here it is!

expirebox.com/download/24b1e5a71d2e14f9f9be86048313c585.html

I worked on compiling all of the information into one document, I apologize for how ugly it might be, I mostly copy-pasted my notes together and did a bit of formatting.

I've been behind on turning it into a true rule-book to put out for free, so this is a pretty rough copy with only the bare bones.

These rules are an amalgamation of the best and most used rules from all across the various versions of this game I have seen, none come from any one singular person so I don't claim to be the creator of these rules. I do however feel they should be kept open and free for everyone to use and alter as needed or desired.

I can answer any questions anyone might have about the God Game while I'm on as well tonight or tomorrow if the thread is still up!

thanks bruh

Sure thing bruh, go with peace

Good night bump

I haven't read it yet but thanks so much.

Unbound from Look, Robot is anther option I just came across, but I don't know anything about it other than it is a collaborative world building game.

Contrary to popular belief, Veeky Forums is actually a chill place that doesn't just shit on each other. Thanks guys!

I like my games to deal primarily with a region, so I like The Quiet Year to build up something like a small country or large state.

Another page 10 bump.

I just saw this, and it looks pretty amazing. Thanks for compiling all that!

Awesome thread. I have nothing to contribute, but I hope there is more like this.

You're welcome folks, I'm glad to share it and see positive responses!

Seeing it spread around with the possibility of being used is awesome!