Snake God

What would the tenets/ideologies of a neutral Snake God be?

Draw from any mythologies or cultures that you like.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadjet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meretseger
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shesha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damballa
ultima.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ophidian_Virtues
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

You could use the Biblical Leviathan. From the many religions which use sea serpents you may spin him as a false god; one who claims to be the ultimate power yet is really just a titanic monster. Powerful but certainly not divine.
This god may simply want to be worshiped out of it's own vanity or envy for the real deities. It would pose as real gods and create false prophets to do it's own whim, ultimately amassing itself more praise and tribute.

>The Leviathan of the Book of Job is a reflection of the older Canaanite Lotan, a primeval monster defeated by the god Hadad. Parallels to the role of Mesopotamian Tiamat defeated by Marduk have long been drawn in comparative mythology, as have been wider comparisons to dragon and world serpent narratives such as Indra slaying Vrtra or Thor slaying Jörmungandr,[1] but Leviathan already figures in the Hebrew Bible as a metaphor for a powerful enemy, notably Babylon (Isaiah 27:1), and some scholars have pragmatically interpreted it as referring to large aquatic creatures, such as the crocodile.[2] The word later came to be used as a term for "great whale" as well as of sea monsters in general.

>Job 41:1–34 is dedicated to describing him in detail: "Behold, the hope of him is in vain; shall not one be cast down even at the sight of him?"[10]

>In Psalm 104, God is praised for having made all things, including Leviathan, and in Isaiah 27:1, he is called the "tortuous serpent" who will be killed at the end of time.[7]

Skim the wikipedia article and you'll see how the Leviathan is both part of God's world but also maybe an adversary, possibly a demon but also maybe just a monstrous creature. With it being so hard to tell, it suits to have the Leviathan as one and all and none; being a deceiver.

>What would the tenets/ideologies of a neutral Snake God be?

You gotta eat ALL the eggs.

Opposition to oppression, and standing up for the downtrodden

Snoot boops from your congregation are mandatory

As it stands, I have two players devoted to [Unnamed Snake God]: a hedonistic paladin who is a touch greedy and glamor-obsessed, and an aloof death cleric with a superiority complex.

I guess I could see the snake deity being perhaps not a full divine creature in its outright,but a highly powerful entity of some sort that is all about the self. Sort of glory and fame through wiles and self-mindedness rather than selflessness and brazen-ness. I might throw in some sort of hidden knowledge and wisdom thing as well. Thanks user!

My players picked snakes because they wanted to be edgy, little do they know that snakes are up there were puppies and kittens in terms fo cuteness

Don't tread on muh freedoms...

I draw from one web comic.
The snake god really loves serpents, social darwinism, life in all forms (but especially snakes), children (because they are life itself), sunlight, and gold. He (She? It?) is also the god of trade and poisoncraft, the one who taught mortals these two things.

What web comic?

Do not mess with danger noodle.

>What would the tenets/ideologies of a neutral Snake God be?
Snakes are good
Their satanic figure is an evil mongoose god

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wadjet
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meretseger
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shesha
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quetzalcoatl

Ya forgot a big one
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Damballa

Healing. See Staff of Asclepius.

A snake harvest god is possible too. Snakes usually eat rats which are a pest

Snakes are extremely efficient and streamlined organisms.
Gods of efficiency are pretty rare, so why not that.

Is Quetzalcoatl lawful or neutral?

You've got the snake as the symbol of infinity, the wheel that always returns to its starting point. It devours its own tail and lives forever, that sort of thing.

Probably both.

Adaption, symbolized by the shedding of their skin. Also the consuming, but not taking any more than you actually need to survive

Belief in constant self-improvement, growth, and never holding on to the past. A metaphorical shedding of the skin.

Stoicism and doing what is needed, no matter how hard. Like how a snake is cold-blooded and emotionless.

I've got a giant snake as a minor deity in my setting pretty much limited to one village and the surrounding forest. It's said to live in caverns it dug underground and protects the people in exchange for offerings at the time of harvest. Legend says he created the rivers of the land so that people would come and feed him though winter. The people of his village advocate the proper treatment and burial of the dead with a taboo against touching a corpse with your bare hands, value quick and decisive action towards issues, and take a communion on the 20th of every month(the snake is particularly fond of offerings of wine).

1: Be exssssssellent to each other.
2: Party on dudessssssss (and dudettesssssss)

You'll have to journey to Serpent Isle to ask the Great Earth Serpent, the Blue Order Serpent and the Red Chaos Serpent about the Ophidian Virtues:

ultima.wikia.com/wiki/The_Ophidian_Virtues

A belief in constancy of the self, despite outward appearances changing. Analogical to the shedding of skin.

Balance, cycles, death and rebirth. The old standbys work well.

Also a semi heretical cult of anti government bakers.