"Hey GM where do mythological animals come from in your setting?"

"Hey GM where do mythological animals come from in your setting?"

"Oh that's easy. See: all animals in this world can breed with all other animals."

"... so... so a chimera-"

"A lion happened to fuck a goat one time without eating it and then the goat-lion hybrid once had a snake take it in."

"... and a hydra-"

"Sea snake and an octopus!"

"... U-unicorns-"

"Horse with a VERY SLIGHT amount of Narwhal ancestry."

"... harpies, mermen and centaurs-"

"Some people get bored out in the wilderness."

Other urls found in this thread:

imgur.com/gallery/yVGdT
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Do people actually question this stuff? Anyone I've played with just takes monsters for granted.

>"Hey GM where do mythological animals come from in your setting?"
The titans made them, just like everything else. That's why they are pissed off at all the "divine races" that joined with the titans' children and tore apart and imprisoned the titans.

>"Hey GM where do animals come from in your setting?"

You see, when a mythological mom and a mythological dad love each other very, very much...

I mean... that's actually not too far off in some myths.

Your character doesn't know that. But you could always try and find out...

>not having an analogue to Echidna, Mother of Monsters in your setting

That's where not-Typhon comes in.

That one bard from that 2003 picture series.

The Man, the Myth, the Legend.

80% The Fey did it.
Other 20% one of the gods threw a curse or blessing out.

10/10 setting. Would play the vanilla human straight man and set everyone else up for shenanigans.

Rape is not love, user

imgur.com/gallery/yVGdT This guy. (Full series)

It is if you enjoy it, /d/.
of Alarm Event for alarm 1
for object obj_en_fleet:

Unable to find any instance for object index '148663'
at gml_Object_obj_en_fleet_Alarm_1
############################################################################################

The Siege Dogs
They like stealing.
Oh
Fuck
Steeling

I wouldn't mind making a centaur desu

>"Hey GM, where do mythological animals come from in your setting?"
I usually say that ancient magical relics of power have a tendency to leak over time, and monstrous beasts sometimes result from unions between normal animals that whelp near the magical fallout.

It sounds like you have incredibly boring players; I feel sorry for you.

What the fuck is that?

I actually did this once. But only because many creatures had been experimented on by an alchemy-obsessed civilization, and some of them escaped into the wilderness, and passed their omni-fertility to their descendants.

It's a recessive trait that pops up every few generations, along with scent-markers that make them appealing even to other species, even humans, which is where beastmen come from.

It looks remarkably like it should be in a dark room plaintively whispering D-Daddy.

Have emotion...

This is almost literally how it works in the xanth series. There are literally magic love springs scattered throughout the setting that cause the next two things to drink from it to fuck and produce a child, no matter what they are.

There are a lot of centaurs in this setting.

The angels made them.

Well, if we want to be technical, the angels of the angels of the angel made them. The angels of the angel made the sapient races. The angel was responsible for the world.

>"You mean... they have SEX? Just out in the open?"

>Do people actually question this stuff?
Yes, there are some people autistic enough to ask why shit like chimera, harpies, and centaurs exist, in a fantasy setting where magic and gods not only exist, but are common enough for people to recognize and interact with it the same way most people do with electricity.

So if you don't take the time to map out the intricate details of how these creatures came to be, they'll swear up and down that the setting is shit, the GM (i.e. you) is shit, and how they'd know how to make a proper setting and yet, curiously, they never fucking do.

It's generally best to ignore them or to direct them to an article on wikipedia, otherwise they'll just derail your game for hours on end asking about the most inane shit about the monster that you set in front of them that isn't even going to survive the encounter.

Considering how many of the classic monsters arose because Zeus couldn't keep his toga zipped, and how most of the rest were titan-spawn, explanations shouldn't be tough.

Also, most fantasy worlds are so old that even the elves have gone through enough generations to have forgotten the dawn era and its fecundity. As such, the answer is that no one really knows.

I recently started reading up on a game called Adventurers, Conquerors, Kings. In that game there are rules for mages to breed abominations combining different creatures and is implyed in many monster descriptions that they are the creation of the ancient evil empire from the past that continued to breed even as their masters disappeared.