I started a campaign a good while ago and am looking for some cool magic items to introduce. They can be homebrewed

I started a campaign a good while ago and am looking for some cool magic items to introduce. They can be homebrewed.

Bonus points if they're cursed.

Other urls found in this thread:

archmagev.com/2nd_Ed/
youtube.com/watch?v=DIiMBt8OmEU
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13kApL0iRMyU2T825VhUcktCWOVsQTnCM3kqE31Ib-Ao
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

The ring of truth.
Cursed item giving the wearer low-level darkvision, the effect grows stronger until they can see just fine in the dark. Then it begins to give them truesight. They see through illusions, they can see invisible things, etc.

Then they can see everything. Through everything. And they can see farther than anyone else. Too far. They can no longer sleep, as they can see through their own eyelids. Plagued by visions of ghosts, being able to see everyone naked (for better or worse) and lack of sleep begins to drive them mad.

The truth is that some things are better left unseen.

Armor of Don Quixote
Engraved on this spanish conquistadors' armor is the phrase "Cabalerro que mata gigantes"
The armor can only be worn by smaller races, but gives them bonuses when fighting larger enemies.

I really like this idea. Maybe find it on a crazed man's corpse with damaged eyes? Or would that be too obvious?

That's great! Perfect for one of my goblin PC's.

Skeletal remains with vaguely translucent orbs in the eye sockets that seem to stare back at anyone/thing looking at them.

Fade away as the ring is removed. May make players think it's just a kind of sentry/awareness enchantment.

Friggen' perfect. Thank you so much!!

This thread ain’t dying on my watch!

Ring of Partial Invisibility
A defunct ring of invisibility, only makes the wearer translucent instead of transparent. Could potentially be used as a plot hook to find a corrupt wizard making these knock off rings.

Metamagic Wand
Wand that allows the caster to amplify any spell with a pre-determined metamagic feat. The caster must have the spell prepared for the day, however the metamagic enhancement won’t increase the caster level of the spell. Wand has a limited amount of uses before it crumbles to dust.

Cursed Girdle of Hill Giant Strength
Included with the str bonus is an int penalty.

Cursed bag of holding
Will hold on to objects placed within it rather well, requires a strength test to wrestle them free of the bags grip

The necklace of the orcslayer
A necklace made with orc tusks that gives you a bonus when fighting orcs but also causes all orcs to focus you in a fight and be hostile when not in a fight

The bag of many things.
Appears as a normal bag of holding but is instead a sort of interdimensional portal connecting all bag of holdings in existence. You will never find again what you put in there, but there is a chance that you might steal something valuable

Enchanted Bracelet of Hanover-Fiss

A copper bracelet that's half-covered in spiky adornments. Those who pledge to the Red Mage of Commission Hanover-Fiss and give him money receive this as a token.

Whenever the wearer has to make an action (or roll) using the arm the bracelet is on, a little Lender Specter pops out and the player has to roll an additional D6.

At 4+ the roll is doubled AND the player gets 1 Gold from the Lender. At 3 or less the roll is halved, the character takes one unblockable damage AND loses two Gold.

Halfling Hide Boots
Appears as a functional pair of leather boots. Supple enough to fit most adventurers (but let's keep it reasonable, no pixies or giants), feeling comfortable to the wearer within an hour of use.
Astoundingly quiet footfalls while wearing, in the form of bonus to sneakyness rolls or however you want this to manifest.
Prolonged regular use causes the wearer's feet to gradually transform into hairy, leathery size-12s. Once complete, the transformation causes no other shoes to be bearable for more than a few minutes, but the adventurer no longer requires shoes as protection for most travel. The cursed boots remain comfortable and continue to provide their bonus at this point, but the curse can only be reversed by abstaining from using footwear of any kind for a whole year.

These are all awesome ideas guys! I'm loving the twists on some of these!

You're a hero!

>Ring of Suspicion

While wearing the ring, after making a successful bluff check, you are forced to wink and make fingerguns at the previous target.

Said target can now reroll their DC with +4 advantage.

just this on a dead body.

>DMing a campaign a while back
>slowly sprinkling in tailored items for PCs
>looting a tower when the Paladin finds a shield just for him
>big fuck-off tower shield with a furrowed face on the front wrought in shining metal
>"neat!"
>over the next few days, the shield starts slowly whispering to him
>"gotta smite them evil dickheads, etc. etc."
>check the shield for evil, nothing shows up
>"It's alright you can trust me, I am sent here for you from *insert PCs god*"
>Paladin slowly warms up to it over the weeks travelling, shield prooves itself time and time again to be faithful or trustworthy
>Only paladin can hear the shield and see it speak
>entirely through RP the Paladin slowly withdraws from the group socially, only speaking to his shield and relying on it more and more
>eventually get to a village with a cult problem, the shield eggs the Paladin on to keep "cleansing" the village of filthy heretics
>Paladin, in-character, ignores teammates cries to stop, slaughters the village in a rampage
>after a huge massacre, the Paladin comes to a stop with the other PCs standing away from him in awe and shock
>Paladin, covered in blood cries to his god for power to continue cleansing
>nothing
>Paladin keeps screaming for favor from his god
>nothing
>"Paladin, you're a monster" other PCs say
>Paladin looks down at himself, covered in blood and gristle
>for story effect he detects evil
>whole body glowing black with evil energy
>Paladin, in shock, starts going insane and has to be put down by other PCs
>everyone in shock after some amazing RPing
>Fighter picks up the shield
>"Neat!"

Legitimately some of the best RPing I've ever had, it was bloody beautiful.

The wardrum
A drum of orcish make that produces a deafening tone when struck(maybe modifying bardic inspiration rolls with a higher die), but will compel its owner to play it more and more in increasingly inappropriate situations until it is returned to its tribe and sanctified.

I'm a huge sucker for dramatic moments of realization! I may have to implement a more sinister, slow poisen type item like that. Love it!

Could go great in one of the campaigns I'm part of! (Orcs are my favorite race so this speaks to me on a spiritual level.)

>>Fighter picks up the shield
>>"Neat!"

I love the idea of orcish bards in general. I know the optimized route is half-elf, but the visual of a proud warrior pounding a drum with such ferocity that the enemy clutches their heads and shies away as he urges his companions onwards to bloody victory is a powerful one.

My personal favorite was the Challenge Badge that I let my players test out.

Each badge would morph into the shape of the character's face, and would bestow a challenge that would test their abilities. Everything from rolling at least each stat once to the dreaded inflict every status condition at your disposal at least once using a randomized chart.
The reward was the badge turning into something that was a near game-breaker power, but taking it off before the challenge was done would prove to be fatal.

With some tweaking this could reward specific magic items tailored to their class. I like it!

Just be absolutely certain of which players you can do it to. I specifically picked the Paladin because he was an excellent roleplayer, and always favors good story over keeping their character alive for the sake of it.

Also, there was one time I introduced a skull-crusher helmet as more of a trap in one game.
>PCs enter room in dungeon
>floor is littered with corpses, mostly skeletons, some are dried husks, two are a few days old fresh
>all of their heads are crushed
>skulls smashed in
>in some cases powdered bone is all that remains
>main dickhead fighter PC walks up to the fresh corpse, who has a shiny winged bucket helm on his head
>all silver and engraved gold and shit, with a big red enamel cross on the front of the helm
>other PCs check the room for traps, then proceed to looting the corpses
>Wizard is extremely uneasy, only realizes what's happening as the fighter slips the helmet on his head
>"WAIT, DON'T. . ."
>CRUSH
>fighter fails all of his rolls
>head crushed, body falls to floor
>players all erupt in laughter including fighter
Rogue slips the helmet off fighter, head is crushed, blood everywhere but inside of helmet is mysteriously shining clean
>PCs all discuss, and decide to take it with them
>inside the same dungeon PCs are later pursued by Orcs
>rogue has the bright idea to tie some string around the helmet through the eyeholes
>leaves it on the ground as the Orcs are walking around the labyrinth searching for them
>Orc sees shiny helmet, picking it up
>CRUNCH
>rogue pulls the helmet back to him around the corner
>proceeds to get THREE MORE ORCS WITH THE SAME TRICK

Cursed items don't need to be all bad I guess.

Gloves of Doffing
A pair of light woven gloves made with a slightly metallic looking fiber, elegant and simple. If the wearer can lay both hands on a target, the target's armor is instantly removed and appears next to them, cleaned and folded or bundled. Originally intended to help quickly remove armor from willing allies, it has an obvious benefit in battle -- though the user must be cautious not to place both hands on themselves. Accidents have happened.

Stunning Cloak
A wispy, silver cloak with angular borders embroidered in to the hem. When the wearer is injured, the cloak suddenly emits a burst of light in all directions. The more sudden or grievous the injury, the brighter the light, which can be bright enough to stun all seeing creatures within 40 feet. A more experienced wearer can direct the light away from allies.

Bull's Anklet
A blackened bone band worn on one ankle, allowing the user to charge with great speed. When activated, the user charges d8 times half their movement speed in a straight line. They cannot stop unless they move the full distance or collide with a solid object. If the user moves the full distance without hitting anything, they must make a Dexterity check or fall prone. If they collide with a creature, treat it as a slam attack. Should the hit a solid object like a wall, they take damage from the impact.

that's the beautiful thing about good RP groups, the Paladin initially thought (correctly) the shield was cursed, and thought it'd try to incite violence in the group through whsipers, so he didn't mention it to the party and tried to keep their distance from it until he could find someone powerful enough from his order to exorcise the curse. This ended up meaning that nobody else knew about the cursed nature of the item in-character, which was perfect.

eventually after the Fighter started acting suspiciously the same way the Paladin did, the Wizard suspected that the shield may have a problem with it and they took it to a local sorceror, who almost shat himself in terror and tried to destroy the shield. the party talked him out of it and they agreed to exorcise the shield, which became a quest unto itself. Eventually the curse was cleansed and it was revealed to be part of the soul of a Lich, leading to the PCs having a grudge against the BBEG naturally and setting out to destroy the evil for their fallen comrade.

pic related, me as the DM watching my plan for a continuing story unfold pretty much perfectly.

The Displacement Gauntlet

A huge, bulky and gaudy left-armed gauntlet. When the wearer throws something with the gauntlet, the item is replaced with another item being thrown somewhere in the world simultaneously. This can result in a rock switching places with a pillow, or an arrow with a live grenade.
For fun, draw or write down about 100+ items on slips of paper and put them in a dice bag for the player to draw when they throw something.

Pic unrelated.

>Coin of Agzaharu
>One of countless small golden coins from an ancient king's cursed hoard. On its worn face is a crowned orc on a curule chair in relief, on reverse is stamped a pitiless balrog rampant over a slain humanoid.

These coins are sometimes found in treasure hoards or very, very rarely found in normal circulation. DC 20 vs Knowledge (The Planes) tells you this coin was minted in the fires of the Abyss in commemoration of an alliance between a tribe of raiding orcs and a collective of now-forgotten balrogs. DC 10 vs Knowledge (Arcana) or Bardic Knowledge will determine its function.

Select a coin. Declare this is a Coin of Agzaharu. The player who intends to use it must declare a brief but very obsequious praise to Agzaharu. Lay down your weapon, kneel, and flip the coin with your primary hand.

If the coin lands orc-side up: A flash of gold leaps from the coin face and onto your proffered weapon. Your weapon is now one enchantment level higher. If it was a normal weapon, it is now +1. If +1, it is now +2 and so on. The weapon is also cursed: you fidget and trace its contours idly, and cannot bear to lend or sell it.

If the coin lands balrog-side up: A flash of gold leaps from the coin face and envelops your primary hand before fading to nothing. Your unarmed and melee weapon hits now do an additional d4 damage against pure-blooded Humans.

In either case: You feel dizzy and there is a brief smell of sulphur. Looking down at the coin, it now resembles an ordinary coin of the realm. The magic has disappeared -- for now. As if in a dream, you pick up the coin and return it to your purse where it immediately becomes lost among the rest. (If PC has no gold coins, it becomes 2gp).

This one might be a little too cursed.

>A bunch of china thrown by an angry wife
>Panties being tossed off
>The spear thrown in a contest of the strongest scotsmen
>A healing potion (sucker got the dirt instead)
>Just some alien meat
>A crate of chickens

Man, you could go full wild magic with this. Love it.

QUILL OF MAD SCRAWLING

This quill seems a boon to the wizard who attunes to it first, reducing the time and gold costs of inscribing new spells by half, and granting advantage on Arcana checks to copy spells from existing spell scrolls.

This utility is eclipsed by its insidious secondary effects. Each time it is used to scribe a spell, the attuned wizard must make a DC 10 + Spell Level of the spell copied Wisdom saving throw.

A character who fails this saving throw begins to experience episodes of psychography, going into a trance and scrawling onto any available surface for an hour, piercing their flesh with the quill and writing in blood if no ink is to be found.

The nature of the scrawling is up to the GM; it may be the wizard's deepest, darkest secrets and desires. It may be cryptic hints at an upcoming encounter or event. It may just be nonsense poetry.

Mucus Mace
This weapon appears as a faintly rusty iron mace, plain in design, with a leather wrapped haft and small, carefully drilled holes between the tines on the head; it may have a crusty white residue on it. Holding it at the ready will cause it to begin to gently drip a clear, slimy, odorless fluid from the holes in the head. Enemies hit by this weapon will end up splashed with the goop which is unsettling at the least. Before long, the goop will begin to harden and impede movement. Once the goop is fully hardened, it's easy to crack free of but not effortless. Novice users may get the goop on themselves or their allies; careful it doesn't get in your eyes or on your nose or mouth; terrible accidents can happen.

Diadem of Great Power
A golden circlet, inlaid with symmetrical carvings and a number of small gems. The Diadem, when worn, grants spell casters with a small boost to their strength -- at first. As the wearer uses the Diadem more and more, its power grows, and in turn their magic becomes more potent. Any wizard can see how dedicated use of the Diadem will make them eventually unstoppable. However, the Diadem has a side effect: the circlet grows as it gains in power, and subtly enlarges the head of its wearer to match. This is not obvious to outsiders at first, and goes unnoticed by the wearer for much longer. Some wizards only notice the problem once it's pointed out to them, or others once they are unable to lift their prodigious skull. Some will attempt to work around the problem with their magic, but will soon find that dealing with the giant skull is more troublesome than the Diadem is worth.

Spectacles of False Seeing
These glasses are more optical illusion than magic; large, angular lenses set in a heavy frame, these Specs make it appear as though you are making eye contact with anyone who can see your face, regardless of where you are looking or where they move to. This effect is often greatly unsettling after only a short period of time.

One of the items has to be 'The Replacement Bracelet', an auto-equipping armor with the same effect.

>Throw a ceramic egg at an enemy, it becomes the Replacement Bracelet
>Enemy starts throwing rocks that turn into more randomshit
>Soon enough a pile of junk is at the two's feet as every other combatant sits down and watches the show
>One of the items ends up being the Metal Back-Up Bat, which reflects projectiles and changes them into something ELSE
>The Bard grabs that shit and it becomes a triangle of fuckery until the DM makes rocks fall out of pure headache.

X the man with X-ray eyes!

I love that movie!

Oh ho, I would use this in my game. I'd have the scrawlings seem insane -- but important -- at first. Eventually as the user produces more and more they begin to piece together an incredibly elaborate ritual.

A greedy player might attempt to complete the ritual; maybe it summons a dark god, or resurrects the Quill's creator. Or maybe it can't be completed, and it just becomes a maddening obsession for the writer (and any poor idiot who studies the writings more than casually).

Or maybe the player is cautious; they stop. But it's too late -- the pages aren't a ritual to perform, they are documentation of the ritual itself, the writing is the act. Now they've started in motion something that needs to be stopped.

If it's 5e or another game with limited attunement slots, the Stone of Luck.

"When you pick up the Stone of Luck you attune to the Stone of Luck and cannot become unattuned to the Stone of Luck save via a Remove Curse spell or equivalent effect.

While attuned to the Stone of Luck, when you would roll a d20 for any purpose, roll that d20 for that purpose."

It is not a stone of good or bad luck, just of roughly-randomly-distributed luck.

>returning throwing knife
>always returns to it's wielder if thrown
>this isn't necessarily a good thing.

The Boomerbang

An entirely normal boomerang, except it explodes.
The cursed version only explodes when it comes back.

No. It's a sling bullet. But when it hits something inanimate besides the ground, that thing sticks to it and they both come back at the speed it was fired at.

This would immediately appeal to any clever players, until the true chaos it would create began.

I had one for a DCC game but I changed the system at the late minute and the item no longer made sense.

The Liar's Tooth.

The demon Gorgo is the patron of greed and treachery, and loves to see people debase themselves and betray their friends for money. His altar is an impenetrable glass box filled with treasure, an iron spike on top. In front is scrawled in soot, "WHAT'S IT WORTH TO YOU?"

Entertaining Gorgo will get you some petty cash, but the only way to open the box is to stick the head of a comrade on the spike. If the depths of your turpitude manage to impress the demon, his idol might come to life and pluck one of its pyrite teeth as a gift. Gorgo pays close attention to the tooth's bearer, granting him a luck bonus and the ability to regenerate luck with acts pleasing to Gorgo.

If you lose, destroy, or give the tooth away freely, its powers disappear and it becomes a worthless chunk of fool's gold. If someone steals it from you, its powers transfer to the thief.

Its powers make it appear valuable to merchants. With some decent rolls/roleplaying it can be sold for 100gp or more. The poor fool who bought it will soon realize it's worthless, and no one will pay even a copper for it. Gorgo finds this hilarious, and the huckster gets to keep his luck bonus.

>check shield for evil, nothing shows up
How could there not be evil detected?

Coinpurse of last savings
This leathery coinpurse feels weighted and you can definitely tell that there are a number of coins in it. If the person holding it is in great financial trouble, he can open the purse and find 5d4 platinum coins inside. This is only possible once per day.
All efforts to open it when you at least posess 5 GP fail, unless you dispel the magic of the item, which reveals 5d4 worthless fake coins of an unknown alloy.

Chromatic Dragon Necklace
A necklace with a black iron made dragon skull, holding a milky, large pearl in it's jaws.
The Necklace has 3 charges and recharges at dawn. By spending a charge, the wearer can make a Dragonborn-like breath attack as if he were a Dragonborn of his level. He gains resistance to the damage type of the breath attack. Roll 1d6 to determine the type of breath attack: Fire/Ice/Lightning/Poison/Acid/Wearer's Pick

Helmet of Foresight
Upon completing a long rest, you may roll a D20 and keep the roll. You can replace any future roll with the one you kept.
If you roll a 1, you are haunted by your vision and have disadvantage on skill checks until the next long rest or you lose attunement with the helmet.

Crown of the butcher king

Gives the bearer the ability to go into a rage so long as they are a martial class. If the bearer already can rage, they can enter a frenzied rage, if they can do that then the get an extra damage die.
The crown slowly makes the wearer emotionally dead and unable to feel emotion outside of combat. If the bearer is a barb that can frenzy rage, they become rabid while in the state

If the wearer is a magic class, they suffer (X amount) psychic damage an are unable to cast spells for 24 hours.

Oh, and a note: if the person wears it for more than a week straight, they cannot remove the crown.
It looks like a bunch of metal spikes in a thorny crown like thing. It pokes the person in the head and makes them bleed without actually damaging them.

Statuette of Good Luck

The curse is that it brings you good luck.No matter what.

Why is this a bad thing?

Nice.
>Every other party member starts drawing aggro
>Bullets curve out of your way and hit your healer
>Loot boost, to the point where even your teammate's loot would work better on you
Being forced to have good luck will at a certain point cause bad luck in those around you.

>a mirror with a self aware entity desperate for human contact
>once seen it follows the player around reflection to reflection
>not really evil
>kind of endearing at times, but jealous

I live this one! Haha! *wink* *bang bang*

That Luck is drawn from others, their misfortune is your gain.

Neth's Bountystone

This metallic gem is a dull silver color, set with rough cubic crystal formations on its face. It changes shape from time to time, but not quickly enough for anyone to notice. It may appear strung to a leather strap, or as part of a ring, or set in some other piece of jewelry. The stone itself is strikingly beautiful and grants +2 Charisma and a bonus to haggling and persuasion checks. It is not obviously cursed and does not appear to be magical. It is slightly aligned to the Ethereal Plane.

When worn, the wearer must survive a secret DC 25 Constitution check each day for three days. If the wearer succeeds, they are immune to its effects permanently. If the wearer fails once, that night a disgusting polyp erupts from their skin wherever the stone is worn. This growth dissolves the item and the new fleshy protuberance may hum to itself or quiver if looked at. The player loses 1 Charisma permanently as a result, but soon discovers they no longer feel thirst or hunger. The magical growth spontaneously generates all the nutrition a Medium sized creature requires.

Orb of gales
Just a +2 arcane focus to force spells. That's it.

It causes the misfortunes that start afflicting everyone around its host.

Propellant Hat

When you wear this hat, all attacks/spells that would push an enemy now push them twice the distance. However, the user is also pushed back an equal distance, and due to the extra force both the target and user must roll a dex save or fall prone.

I just imagine a bunch of idiots flying everywhere and falling all over the place. It probably wouldn't work, but it's a fun image

Armor of the Tortoise
Whenever anybody wearing this patterned breastplate is hit by a spell, roll a d6. On a 6, the spell is reflected at whoever cast it and the armor envelops its wearer in a protective shell that also makes it extremely difficult to move. It'll keep you very safe, though! It stays in this state for about an hour. The thing was a work in progress when my PCs stole it from the workshop: it was going to be a gift for a noble spellcaster with guards enough to fight off any would-be assassins after the armor prevents the first blow.

I like you

In the broadest of terms a breaching charge. It was a homebrew of Drawmajis' instant summon where the Gem was a easily collapsed bottle filled with dust of sneezing and choking and a marble that prevents the dust from exceeding a certain distance. When broken the summon would bring in quite an amount of dust of sneezing and choking pushing anything near the detonation away (5ft sphere) that afterwards could be poofed into the room for a non-lethal entrance.

I was going to post the Encyclopedia Magica Volume One from AD&D because it is JAM PACKED with all sorts of interesting, unique, and cursed magical items that've been forgotten by D&D players, but it's 14 megs. and fucking huge.
it literally took me 5 seconds in google "Encyclopedia Magica Volume One" to locate a PDF for download, so there you go. Tons of shit.

That depends on your definition of "good luck", though. Personally, I'd rather take a bullet if a medic can save me,rather than have the medic take the bullet and be shit out of luck.

Eh, here's the link

archmagev.com/2nd_Ed/

Yeah but “Good Luck no matter what” means exactly that.
YOU get good luck. By any means that the universe can convey it. Which often happens to include moving you out of the cosmic path and placing your friend in the way. You don’t really get to define what good luck for you means when you equip it. Hence the curse.

Give a player a bag of holding, that is cursed with having a void monster inside it. Technically it's a 40% chance to bite off their arm, but it's better to just pick when it bites.

Then you give them a Gold Trinket with a massive pile of gold, the trinket is cursed with greed, they become so greedy they have to roll a 25 will save to even think about spending gold. A they have to roll a 39 to actually willingly spend their gold.

It's a combo.

If you have magic cards you aren't using, sort through all your artifact and equipment cards. If you need inspiration for a magic item for an upcoming session shuffle and draw from the pack. You can probably find a good image only to show your players, and having something simple to spark your imagination is invaluable when writer's block strikes and all you can come up with is "The monk needs a magic item...".

From the name I was imagining one of those kids' beanies with a little propeller on the top.

My closest friend losing his life over random chance sounds like the worst fucking luck. I think your ring is broken.

Arabel's Huggable Bear

>This huggable, lovable stuffed magical bear is made of white ermine.It sports an onyx nose, sapphire eyes, and is stuffed with owlbear down.
>During the slumber hours, this small bear radiates a sphere of protection in a radius of 3 yards.The sphere keeps invading forces from entering the mind of any sleeping person. ESP and mind-affecting spells, including psionics, do not work
on any subjects sleeping within the bear's domain.
>The stuffed animal also prevents those in its area of effect from suffering bad dreams. Because of the restful nature of sleep while slumbering near the bear, hit points are restored at twice the normal rate.
Cute!

Mask looks like the phantom of the opera. Makes character go invisible while 1. Roll a 1d10, on a 1 you become ethereal (cannot interact with the world at all) and cannot. remove the mask. On a full moons highest point you become visible and the curse could be removed.

Sword of Skuld: sword with runes down the blade. When you do damage to a living enemy they glow red. Gain +2 chance to hit for the next strike and the enemy loses 2 AC for the strike, lasts for one round. If you kill a living enemy while the blade is red the blade glows a deeper red and you gain +4 to AB and the enemy loses 4 Ac for the next attack. After 1d4 days of no hits to a sentient living being you start having nightmares where you murder innocents. The next stage can be stalled by covering it with the blood of a sentient being. For the next 1d2 days the dreams grow worse. Finally the next morning you are possessed by the blade until you kill the closest sentient being when you wake up. If you discard the blade it returns beside you the next day. If it is taken from you it returns beside you the next day. Have to roll a 1 on a 1d20 to have the willpower to leave it.

The shield was never evil, or sentient. I remember explaining it as basically there was an evil god on another plane with an identical shield that he spoke through.

Eventually the PCs made it to that plane, and killed the BBEG of the campaign, only to realize the "curse" they'd had exorcised from the shield was it's ability to echo. Basically they'd taken the magical equivalent of a hammer to a magical mobile phone.

>Boomerbang
>not Bangerang
what the fuck?

Fuck that's hilarious

/r/dndgreentext checking in

fun post!

>Perfume/face cream that makes abhumans appear as humans
>voodoo doll that imitates what the target is doing
>Treebark armour that makes you weak against fire, but enables you to pass through plant matter unhindered

These are some that I made and maybe planning to use, hope you can use one of them.

A bit too cursed to just give away, more like, but it sounds like a solid campaign hook.
What GURPs book is this from? I'm feeling inspired by this for a game I've been thinking of for some time now and I'd like to see more.

A shield called Rescinded Glory that, when the player is attacked by magic, has a 50% chance to either completely block/mitigate the damage or block 0 damage.

The lore behind the curse is that the shield was once imbued with a spirit and wielded by a well respected Paladin. The spirit wasn't bound to anyone and acted on it's own free will, but for many years it helped protect the Paladin from all kinds of magic. One day the Paladin was in search of a powerful lich and, against the advice of his superiors, went alone. Of course he was corrupted, but the spirit in the shield was not and refused to protect him. When the now corrupted Paladin was finally slain by magic, from which the shield hadn't protected him, the lich that corrupted him cursed the spirit itself, rendering it unable to protect the user all the time.

I suck at lore writing but there you go

youtube.com/watch?v=DIiMBt8OmEU

Holy fuck that’s great

where do you guys play these campaigns? With friends around a tabletop or online?
p.s: I'm new to tg

>This ring casts charm person without you activating it. It just does so randomly.
>Suddenly every dirty ass peasant is a thirsty motherfucker for da't boy pussy.
>People are either really nice, like creepily so or imbittered but still wanna fuck. They won't outright try to kill you though... probably.
>I'd advise not keeping that ring on. You'll start growing titties and having some high pitch Japanese voice.

Pelican of Holding
It’s just a pelican with a bag of holding’s worth of space in its beak pouch. It’s a wizard’s failed experiment.
Domesticated and good for deliveries. Sometimes gets hungry.

WIth items like these being introduced? Probably with existing friends.
But yeah online groups exist. If you’re new to the hobby in general your friends are still probably your best bet, but publicly formed groups, ones found at your local game store, and online groups are indeed all options.

>Canegheim's Beacon
A set of small crystals, growing off of a bronze sphere. When a crystal is planted in the ground (all ground is treated as soil by the crystals, and will "fold" around them), using the bronze ball will permit the user to teleport instananeously and safely to wherever the crystal was planted. However, the crystals only last 2d8 days, before returning to their original positions in the ball.

>fragment of the Finger Horror
When touched directly to a living being, quickly converts all flesh on the victim into a series of connected fingers, turning them into a minor finger horror. The summoned Finger Horror is hostile to all life and any corporeal undead, and will attempt to rot and consume them as normal.

>Clippy's Lens
Enchanted Lens allows the wearer to be aware of any mispelling or poor grammar in their vision. The lens protests loudly when removed, and continues to protest until donned again by a sapient.

>Pin of the Hellfire Preacher
This cursed item grants a +5 boost to the user's Charisma stat, as well as a +2 to any social roll made. The pin exhibits no evil aura, however the longer the pin is wore the more the pride and greed of the user grows. As the effect is amplified, those under the thrall of the user are compelled to more and more sacrificial acts to please the user, and the user must make: After one or fewer days, 1d4 DC 1 will check, after four days 1d6 DC 2, after six days 1d8 DC 4, after eight days 1d12 DC10, after ten days 1d20 DC 19, after twelve or more days 2d20 DC 21 Willpower check in order to resist the compulsion of the ring to give in to their greed and pride, and/or dispose of the ring.

If the ring is disposed of, it will return to the user in two days, and emanate a powerful evil aura. This will continue until the user is slain, or the ring is cast into a fire, whereupon it will teleport to a random sentient.

>Brassiere of lifting
Enchanted Brassiere that lifts whatever is contained in it. Designed for cosmetic use.

*DC 41
oops

docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13kApL0iRMyU2T825VhUcktCWOVsQTnCM3kqE31Ib-Ao

Amulet of Ossifying

Saying this item's key word will give the character wearing it increased bone strength permanently, increasing their ability to take hits. It has infinite uses, but after the third use bad things start to happen. Joints begin to ossify as well, reducing their dexterity, and even further use causes muscles and organs to turn into bone tissue. Each activation runs a chance of causing complete petrification or death after a certain amount of uses.

Cheers. I remember being stressed to all hell when they were going to cleanse the shield of the enchantment, because I'd sorted out a whole way for them to use it to learn where the other shield was and travel there, but a bit of improvisation I managed to lead them on a merry chase anyway.

My friend was very disappointed when he got the other shield at the end of the campaign and learned that two shields doesn't up your AC twice. He really wanted to "Dark Souls Doors" the shit out of it. I decided no because his AC was already real high and I was struggling to get damage on him with my typically shitty rolls.
Hey, maybe it'll get screenshotted and I'll see it again in six months time on a funny campaign story thread.

Glad to know someone likes it. Our whole table was absolutely dying of laughter the whole time. They eventually sold it to a collector and bought a ship for the next leg of their adventure and named it the S.S. Skullbits

Amulet of Agony
While wearing this the party member cannot be killed.
It may only be removed by an undead character.

Ring of Waking
The character wearing this never needs to sleep. They never feel the effects of sleep deprivation.

They're not afforded protections from the lack of sleep, they simply never need to sleep. The effects are still there, they just can't feel them. They have the option to sleep. But why would they, after all they don't feel like they need to sleep.
Being knocked unconscious does not count as sleep.
Can only be removed by a somnambulist
(this may also be called the +1 ring of detect metagaming)

Pin of Fishes
Allows the character to breath underwater. Also automatically fills the characters lungs with freshly oxygenated water from the nearest body of water.
Pin can only be removed when the a fish based constellation is overhead.

Skanky Steves Magnum Opus
A drug that makes your character max level for 1 hour.
It's also incredibly addictive.
Only 2 copies exist, one with the clue to the location of the second imprinted on the bottle. The second buried with the formula to create more, buried where only the broken may venture.

Headless Warhammer of Blasting

When first found the warhammer appears to be an ornate metal stick with red gems decorating its length and one end blackened by fire. Upon closer inspection, however, it appears that a hammerhead can be added on to make it a fully functioning warhammer. While it has a head, swinging the hammer causes the red gems to light up. The faster the swing, the more gems are lit up.

If someone swings the hammer fast enough to light up all of the gems, the hammerhead glows white hot. Hitting something while swinging the hammer at this speed causes a large explosion to emanate from the hammerhead, dealing massive damage to whatever is struck and also injuring the wielder in the explosion.

The explosion is so powerful that it obliterates whatever hammerhead was affixed to the handle and sends the handle flying through the air in the opposite direction of the explosion.

The handle can be found and reused multiple times as long as you add a metal hammerhead to it.

>check the shield for evil, nothing shows up
>shield is evil

What did they mean by this?

I don't understand this Ring of Waking. What practical in-game effects are there that the PC can't detect? Do they feel the need for rest in general?