Magic The Gathering General - Harassment-gate and Declining playerbase

An informative video on Magic The Gathering. Do you think it is in a decline or not?
youtube.com/watch?v=zSxd49zAnvA

An harassment-gate happened with a cosplayer quiting the scene. Keep it non-political and focused on m/tg/. Why do you think girls don't like to go to MTG public events for all-night card slinging fun?

Why don't women or more people like MTG events?
youtube.com/watch?v=sGXlDH_E5QY

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nHjL-3Vx3nk
twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/934919688206929920
bilibili.com
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

white rhino

Where can I get a gf with feet?

On topic, the game is just dying across all demographics and it has more to do with shit gameplay and shit business practices rather than whatever boogieman wotc wants to blame instead of looking inward.

>Harassment-gate
Oh boy, is this what we're calling it now?
>Why do you think girls don't like to go to MTG public events for all-night card slinging fun?
I dunno man, different strokes for different folks.

How do we get hot attractive teen girls into MTG? - white knight

How do we get people we disagree with out of magic?

By getting out first, that's what I did.

Girls don't like mtg because the community is disgusting. They're way overweight, socially inept, seldom shower, and refuse to shave or even trim their neckbeards.
I've seen the barely contained contempt in the eyes of girls when the see magicfags and your problem becomes obvious. If you want more girls, or people in general, playing your game, you have to put the same basic effort into looking like a functional human being everyone else does.

>Why do you think girls don't like to go to MTG public events for all-night card slinging fun?
Not as many older same-sex role models to guide them into tabletop, which is how most people enter the hobby.

girls will like MTG and the playerbase will grow if we all become gentlemanly. This doesn't mean a dress code or hygiene code. This means we use proper pronouns of them/they until told otherwise.

wow

gamergater here, I thought we had it bad with the thirsty desperate neckbeards. I just looked at /r/magicTCG. I feel sorry for you guys.

I think the bulk of girls just aren't interested in mtg in general. There are some, but nowhere near the amount that would constitute as a significant number. We get 3 max out of some 24+ people events.

>linking Rudy in the OP

I'm looking at the latest CF cards. Is the new widespread availability of CF cards helping with the playerbase problems? It's pretty easy to save a few hundred dollars just using a couple key CF cards in a deck.

Obviously, we try to make it more inclusive and do everything we can to make them feel more welcome. If you respect and honour women, they will respect and honour you in return.

>people openly admit to browsing reddit now
What a time to be alive. I hate it.

>I think the bulk of girls just aren't interested in mtg in general.

This shouldn't be hard to figure out, it's not like we need to guess at this. Look at all the things girls like to do in their free time. Are any of these things remotely similar to MtG? Probably not. We ought to just deal with the fact that men and women enjoy different things.

The only sane person in this situation, and that says a lot. Is he /ourguy/?

On the one hand, I don't really care if Magic lives or dies.

On the other hand...

Crybullies need to be dragged out into the street and publicly flogged as a warning to others who use their "hurt feelings" as a weapon.

>he falls for the Veeky Forums meme

Literally the most totalitarian shithole on reddit. Absolute cancer.

>tfw no qt magic playing GF with minor speech impediment

youtube.com/watch?v=nHjL-3Vx3nk

>Literally the most tolarian shithole on reddit. Absolute cancer.

Yep, I unsheethe my longsword in their presence and drop to a knee *farts* *wipes ass* *shuffles cards*

But evil nazis drive them off somehow.

That's a pretty good CF. Which one is the CF?

ITT: OP can't understand why these threads keep getting removed for rules violations because they aren't even vaguely about playing Magic.

The whole subreddit is so thirsty, they huddled up to defend muh lady's honor. Defending some booth babe because she felt hurt over literally nothing, telling everyone to believe her despite a lack of evidence of unsleeved media's targeted harassment, banning and censoring anyone who tries to question the narrative.

This guy has the best summary for the whole situation:
twitter.com/CountDankulaTV/status/934919688206929920

Fuck these nerds are pathetic. I'm glad I haven't been touching this game for 2 years now. Stopped being a MTG judge too. Fuck the community.

The giveaway is that the real one has scuffing around the border and isn't as brand new as the counterfeit.

You cannot tell unless you are holding the cards and have a lens in your hand although the newer shit has managed to replicate the dot pattern and are doing proper color runs to get past the lens test. In my opinion the only suspect thing about the counterfeit is the blue-to-black gradient in the text box - it is more abrupt than the real one although that just might be the lighting in the picture.

>The giveaway is that the real one has scuffing around the border and isn't as brand new as the counterfeit.
you can intentionally wear & tear new card to make it look older

Remember when people knew how to samefag and not make it obvious?

Yeah sure, but I'm pretty sure the person who took the photo wasn't thinking about that. We're not making up a hard-most counterfeit photo test here. Someone took the real thing and put it beside the fake thing; nobody's sweating the details here to try and fool people.

If it was not for the border, I would have guessed wrong. My rule of thumb is the more vibrant colored one will always be the real one.

What deck is your favorite in modern right now?

I really hope artifact changes the game. Unlocked all cards from the start is a huge change of pace for the gambling-centric genre.

$450 donation to planned parenthood is all about MTG

This is what real journalism looks like. Not shying away from the hard questions.

Can someone give me a downlow on the card stock problems. How the fuck are they messing up with such a cheap part of the process? Card Stock is a fraction of a cent cost per card. This had to have been a complete blunder?

I really want to buy a set of counterfit magic cards just to see how good or bad they are.

The problem with counterfeits is that you cannot suggest to new players to use them - it's completely unreasonable to tell someone that in order to do this thing you have to engage in something somewhat unethical not to mention screwing the store. The reason why counterfeits can theoretically help players is that it galvanizes Wizards to start printing good shit to drive costs down to enable new players to play the fucking game.

And the problem is, Wizards is doing jack shit to help players at all regardless of the counterfeits or not. There's doesn't seem to be any good reason that would drive that company to address the fact that in Latin America and Europe, the game is functionally dead with the mass closing of stores. This generation of paper players are the last generation of paper players.

Some portion of counterfeit owners buy them and use them to continue attending events - which means they are continuing to contribute to the attendance and thus maintain communities. But you also have to consider that some counterfeit owners are so fucking pissed at the company that they've completely detached from the community and are just playing kitchen-table, thereby contributing zero support financial or attendance-wise to the community. Wizards selling cards has to actually support a play space. If they're just making bank but there's no fucking people playing in public, then you can't convince new people to play the game and that's what we're dealing with. So maybe they're going to shift the game to the online segment and fuck paper. But the gateway to digital is through paper; the marketing is almost all done through paper and physical stores. How the fuck do they expect to pull in new players to digital without paper? This is fucking Magic, there's no fucking other media stream feeding it like Pokemon, YGO, Witcher, or Warcraft. They really think a shit MMORPG and movie is going to drive people to the card game.

tfw the good old days of magic are long gone. Magic Arena is it's last hope.

What happened in Europe? Latin Aamerica. I understand because of costs.

Even /pol/ lynches anyone who even smells of coming from the_donald

We need to get our shit together.

The card quality has been fucked since AMK. I put some cards in a perfect fit sleeve, not two days later they were like your pic. IXL and the latest Masters set has the problem too. And apparently FTV has cards not printed straight.

BANNED FROM OUR COMMUNITY! YOU CAN'T USE THAT PLAYMAT HERE!

Is that actually a thing?

Carta Mundi does Wizards' printing. If anything this is their fault for shifting manufacturing to a new/unfamiliar facility. It's hard to imagine that Carta Mundi offered Wizards a lower-cost printing process and Wizards took it. That's just garbage business all around; there is a set standard and Carta Mundi thought they could maintain quality while saving costs on their end.

The problem on Wizards' part is their internal QC to inspect the product coming from Carta Mundi failed to catch this problem. It's not surprising their QC department is understaffed or complacent or simply is a bunch of people pulled in from the office to do a draft. A good company audits their contractors regularly, the fact that Hasbro failed to instill that in Wizards is troubling but it's common enough in any industry that I'm not surprised. Wizards has ignored this problem for years but people kept buying their shit so why would they care?

You still play MTG? that's pretty rare these days with all the decline. Even the MTG players all quit buying new product and sold most of their stuff except a modern/edh deck.

MTG Lion is the only MTG youtuber in this entire clusterfuck that still seems sane, neutral and mature.
I never liked the guy a lot but I have yet to see any others actually report on this with fair arguments regarding both sides. Even SCG (to nobody's surprise) chimed in and picked sides in their news show.

It's like my only form of interaction with other people that isn't school or work. I don't buy sealed products.

New MTG is a complete shit hole, the modern game, the modern community and everything around it. I only care about eternal formats (legacy/ vintage) and the people that play those.

Do you guys thank japan based TCG will become popular now? The art style is really femininist though.

Shadowverse revenue is 5-10x that of MTGO.

Not necessarily. As far as meatspace TCGs go Star Wars Destiny is picking up pretty well, though I imagine that if some others really want to get their fix YuGiOh/FoW/Pokemon will get more players.

Not in our lifetime will it be socially acceptable to bring out that deck case.

The only way a jap TCG will ever get any footing here in the west is if MTG keeps fucking itself. That was the only time I've ever seen anything crack through that iron wall (FoW). And even that died down once Bant: the CoCoing left.

Imagine what North America looks like. There's lots of space and the majority of everything has been built in the past two centuries to spread out your feet. It's understandable that because of this buildings can have lots of space and enough room to host events of 20+ people without having to rent a church, hall, or conference room. And even if they needed to rent such a space, those spaces are plentiful and available and cheap.

Europe doesn't have that. Rent is high, spaces are cramped, and ultimately if you're going to economically run an event with sufficient attendance it has to be in a space that isn't the store. For years, Magic events in Europe were hosted in bars and restaurants and suddenly Wizards was very disapproving of that because proximity to alcohol is a no-no. So suddenly stores had to find a children-friendly place to host events, which aren't as plentiful and cost more money. Obviously, many stores failed to implement that change through no fault of their own and just killed Magic support or outright closed due to the hostile retail environment. No more Magic either way. They forced a North American store model on a European landscape with zero shits given. Same thing is happening in Asia.

Wizards distributor of Magic in Latin America strangled supply to all businesses they did not have a stake in. Many stores couldn't get product and closed or stopped supporting Magic.

I'm so old I remember when we didn't give a fuck about Reddit.

I couldn't keep a straight face is I was playing that card game. Fucking weebs lol

I hate it when companies do that. As a player in the US I suppose that I have lucked out, but I feel bad for yuropoors.

Looks like this thread is auto-saging, too. It was nice while it lasted.

We'll know if they've done anything about the cardstock by the time Rivals is out. It's become enough of an embarrassment that they'll have to take action but they do print in advance so I'm not surprised IMA is still on the crap stock.

swamp skulls are off center on the cf
plus the blue is obviously too bright for shadowmoor

dead giveaways

China is overran with anime style pandering. their most major websites usually are covered in ads with lewd anime girls. It's worse than any other country's internet.

bilibili.com

Considering how many consumers are in China the demand for it will only rise.

Of course, a thread not breaking the Veeky Forums rules must be censored because it's critical of a big companies product

>It was nice while it lasted.
Was it?

Is there an actual Veeky Forums crowd in China? With online card games I can imagine that more weaboo ones would be popular, but I am not sure if there is room in game stores for that sort of thing to take on.

The mods are WotC shills. News at 11'.

I'm actually very troubled by that. The system thinks my post is spam too in spite of all my editing.

This is the only place on the Internet where we can air the dirty laundry in this game and a janitor or mod is blocking it.

If they would at least make a post about why they are censoring these threads before outright deleting them then I could be fine with it. But in this case they are being passive aggressive about it and hoping that no one will notice. There is always the good old feedback button and /qa/ I suppose, which I encourage all of you to use.

It's simple. We have filthy SJWs/redditors as mods.

They've been doing the same to all the threads relating to the MTG cosplayer quitting drama from 2 days ago. Threads gets deleted outright quickly in the beginning, then they let the threads go up, but they all auto-saged within an hour or so, unless the mods are sleeping.

everyone report that a perfectly fine thread is being autosaged, feedback at bottom.

>why they are censoring these threads
Because it's not about gaming, it's not about sci-fi/fantasy worlds in which games take place, and it's not even really about game stores. It's 100% youtube/reddit drama with mtg set dressing.

/qa/ thread is up

non saging thread

Probably for the same reason they don't like to get involved with Veeky Forums shit in general, the majority of the player base. I'm not talking about any supposed "harassment" or "hostile environment shit". Its the creepy leering, that one dude that smells like he hasn't bathed a week, the 450 basement dwelling NEET motherfuckers living of tendies, or that one guy who has to work creepy sex shit into his campaigns. Fuck I even find these mongoloids repellent.

Why should anyone care about a cosplayer? I have infinitely more respect for female player than a cosplayer of either gender

>It's 100% youtube/reddit drama with mtg set dressing.
Considering the 'drama' allegedly involves a WotC attacking the alleged 'harassing youtuber' in response to the cosplayer drama (a harassment claim that is a load of horseshite as far as I can tell), I'd say it's more than just 'reddit drama'.

I think you have to give props to unsleeved. Wizards cant ban him because he doesnt even fucking play in any sanctioned events. lmao

>I think you have to give props to unsleeved. Wizards cant ban him because he doesnt even fucking play in any sanctioned events. lmao
Very true. However, that's not going to stop people from trying to destroy his online reputation. I'm just kinda shocked that people are going after the dude's YouTube channel and Patreon over what, 3 tweets and a derisive video criticizing this cosplayer?

I mean, if he was constantly harassing her I could get the backlash, but a few tweets and one video does not a harassment campaign make.

For where I'm at it's Standard that's popular and nothing else other than the rare EDH game.

Nah, they're pretty niche, have a divisive artstyle and also the main problem with many of them is that Magic is a specific itch for many people. Personally I don't really know any other game that scratches the itch or has as much deck variety as magic does.

I think this reply sums up the whole situation more than that guy's several tweets

Pretty much applies to this whole thread come to think of it.

>Carta Mundi does Wizards' printing.
Deliberate misinformation, Wizards has multiple printers in various places.

What are you even trying to do man

>The system thinks my post is spam

>a janitor or mod is blocking it

Dude what? That's not how janitors, mods, or the spam filters even work

Jeremy stop posting threads you already got 40K more views than usual in your self-victimizing video, stop being so greedy.

Real answer, by being hot ourselves.
Women think anyone other than the best looking 4% of men is not really human. That's the real reason they are so disgusted by attention even if it's not lecherous. They just don't want to be reminded that goblins are real and find them attractive.

> thinking gothic lolita anime shit is "feminist"

that is pretty risque for a children's game desu

See this is the weird part. If wotc made liliana and chandra lesbos then people would be mad. But if they were lesbos like this then the other people would be mad

>piloted the red deck that got me into MTG

He will always be /my/ guy desu.

WELCOME IN

MUCH LOVE

TRAV HERE