My friend is really into anime and board games. I want to get him something nice for christmas...

My friend is really into anime and board games. I want to get him something nice for christmas. Are there any anime-ish traditional games anyone would vouch for?

Other urls found in this thread:

connect.ala.org/files/Risus15.pdf
risusiverse.com/home/optional-rules/evens-up
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Exalted

Are you counting anime-ish card games like Yu-Gi-Oh, or is it board games only?

I'll look into it.
Don't know. I think he prefers board games. He's helping some Jap friend translate a super anime board game. It's called Aragot.
I'm looking for something similar.
What I am mostly interested in is cute girl style art. He is really into the cutesy art style.

MAID

seconding this

Tanto Cuore

Maid or Exalted, depending on what shows he likes. Also consider Legend of the Five Rings, which is like Exalted but is even more oriental.

I’d use risus.

It’s free and the evens up variant is literally heaven.
connect.ala.org/files/Risus15.pdf
risusiverse.com/home/optional-rules/evens-up

Tenra Bansho zero. It's about as anime as humanly possible in tabletop. full of karate, mechanical robots and onis, it's the perfect thing to play after watching thunderbolt fantasy

I see Albedo, I check the bookmark

...Fire Emblem?

Super Dungeon Explore! has a very anime aestetic and some pretty nice miniatures, the game itself is a bit eh though.

I'm a fan of the boardgame Tragedy Looper, clearly inspired by anime time-loop stories like Higurashi, Steins;Gate and Re: Zero.

Magical Athlete is a great little game that has a neat weird anime style - it's not a super deep game, though. If you want something more traditionally waifu, Tanto Cuore.

Why does it have it's wings so low? It's annoying

Anyone have the screencap where Veeky Forums convinced anons girlfriend to buy him queens blade stuff?

Do they like tabletop stuff? Exalted.

She was designed by a geek who's obsessed with weird juxtapositions. He's a weird dude.

>Albedo
Shit taste confirmed.

Barbosa

seconding, game is actually fun and has cute anime maids all over (though they tend more towards lewd as the expansions progress).

That's a good girlfriend if real.

Ahaha the absolute madwoman!

That guy didn't want anime-with-tits-hanging-out figurines.

Tragedy Looper. It's like they made a board game out of Higurashi or Steins;Gate. I adore it.

See

Who tf doesn't want queens blade shit, and who tf gets mad at their Bae for buying them queens blade shit.

I don't even like queens blade and I'd be happy if my girl got me that for my birthday.

It'd imply she understands the important things in life.

I fully support this decision. Magical athlete is hella fun!

Ryuutama is fucking good.
Tenra Bansho too, but more expensive and more difficult to find.

We were literally just discussing this over at the Board Game General and it reminded me of you user.

Can't vouch for it per se though, you might as well go with Tanto Core, it's basically Dominion with waifus.

Proptip; if someone can be considered a fan of something, don't get them anything related to it unless they've asked for it.

I'm pretty sure Nechronica is made by japs. So if he like things that are a bit edgy/grimdark, he might like that. With that said, I've never played it so I can't vouch for it's quality.

This. Sadly

You could try tracking down a hardcopy of Big Eyes Small Mouth, or one of those other cash ins from the early 90's.

isn't it just a weeb version of dominion?

Tragedy Looper. Period. If you want something a bit cheaper but still good, Ars Alchimia. Go for things with an anime aesthetic, but not straight up cringey waifu shit.

OVA RPG
BESM RPG

Getting them something related to that is okay if you're familiar with the subject and what your friend already has. Otherwise, it's better to look somewhere else.

Summary:

Exhalted - overpowered magical martial arts action in pseudo ancient oriental culture
MAID - exactly what it sounds like, you're anime maids, with all of the robots, super powers, explosions, and aliens that normally come with that sort of thing
Legend of the Five Rings - more magical martial arts in the pseudo ancient orient, but more serious and several years older than exhalted
Risus - an "anything" RPG with anime style flavour
Tenra Bansho Zero - never heard of this, but from the name, that's hella anime there. knows more than me
BESM - a generic "anime" system, each of the editions (1 through 3) have their own issues, but with a good gm, can be hella fun
Anima - not mentioned yet, but also a very anime flavoured game, if you can find the english translated version of it.

It's more traditional Japanese than animesque, but look up a board game called Tokaido.

Second this. This guy knows whats going on.

It's spelt Exalted, not Exhalted.

Exalted is anime as fuck

I know right? It's an automatic reaction at this point.

some user translated the core book and some of the expansions and errata for Kamigakari.
It's an RPG that's anime as fuck.

this would be something you get them in addition to the gift since the translation is free due to being unofficial.

What bookmark

>tfw the only fetish art of your waifu is made by the bottom of the barrel

your waifu a shit and you should feel a shit

I haven't played it, but I hear good things about Tragedy Looper. Has an artstyle very reminiscent of F/SN.

>tanto cuore

Why the hell would they give it an italian name?

Handlebars for fucking.

Albedo is for reaction images, not lewds

Tenga eggs

this

Shalltear pls go and stay go.
Lupusregina has you beat, anyway.

Shadow Hunters (translated by Z-Man games the same people who handled Tradgedy Looper's translation) is a game with a similar art style but is a quicker paced social deduction game.

Short version is that it is a dark and spooky night in horror anime land and three groups are seeking to accomplish different goals. Shadow characters are monsters that want to kill Neutral characters who average mortals or Hunters who are heroes who wish to kill the Shadows. This is all simple enough but nobody knows who anyone else until a player chooses to reveal their character card to activate their special power or if they are killed. Additionally the Neutral characters have some very fun win conditions like "you win if the person to your left wins, be the first to die, collect three specific artifacts, etc.".

It is also only about $30 on Amazon right now and after your group has run through it once or twice it becomes a breeze to set-up and play a couple of rounds.

MAID

Try Weiss Schwarz. If there's a specific series he likes, there might be a starter deck for it you can pick up. And you can play against the same or different series (for example, I can play Sword Art Online against another SAO or against Fairy Tail).

>Yu-gi-oh.
i wouldnt recommend that to anyone.

Not a board game, but its cheap as fuck and the arts what your looking for get the Caster Chronicles tcg and build a few decks together.

>Says Exalted
>Posts what looks like Anima art

Albedo is an actual Semon Demon.

That's literally Exalted art, from a cover that has since been removed from production due to being too lewd. I dunno what were they thinking when they got an artist known for lewd designs to do it

Huh, fair enough. I'd never seen it before.