Want to know

Hey guys, can I get some input? I dropped out of 40k a while ago, life being a pain and all. Now that things are clearing up, I've been thinking of getting back in. Now, I've heard quite a bit about these Primaris Marines, and I've browsed the 1D4Chan tactics page on these guys a few times, but I want some serious opinions. Is it viable to run an all Primaris army? I'm assuming its not all that competitive, but if I go this route how tough will it be?

>Now that things are clearing up
Nice try GW.

Suppose I walked into that one. I'll give you props for that.

>Is it viable to run an all Primaris army?
Short answer: Not really.

Long answer: Not at a competitive level but they can make excellent allies for regular SM armies. They're going to keep getting new releases and maybe one day they'll have enough options to really be good.

depends how you're choosing to define "all primaris army" mostly. all their units are pretty solid but if you're running literally just primaris then you'll have far too little anti tank and will lose.

They're also a fairly slow army since literally your only transport is a land raider with more guns and worse armour and range and you cant really afford enough of them to move everyone.

you can do alright if you're running primaris marines backed up by enough dreads and tanks to handle the big shit, but yeah its not something youd take to a tournament.

Nah, an all Primaris army is pretty weak at the moment, especially for some chapters that ahve an emphasis on CC. But as other anons said, they'll get more releases.

My biggest grudge against them is that they aren't as posable as the old kits, which is really disapointing. At least the kits look nice, but in the end everyone sorta has the same unless you're ready to spend time converting and cutting parts that were not together in older kits, like torso and legs.

I gathered already they were weak on their own. Wasn't really looking for a tourney winning list, but if all Primaris (no regular marines) are this weak, then I suppose I shouldn't bother. Oh well, thanks for the input.

Is a Primaris teamed up with Stormtroopers viable? I'm not OP, but curious about similar

>Stormtroopers
storm troopers are the vets of this edition.
or atleast that's how i remember it.
their regiment lets them DtFE on shooting, they can teliport and take 4 special weapons
they only cost 10 a model and their orders are good.

Not really, unless your meta is super casual. They just really lack numbers, which means armies like Imperial Guard, orks, and Nids will give you a hard time. You can get around this a bit with Bobby G and a good chapter tactic, but for the most part the chadmarines suffer.

DtFE?

I was hoping on fielding plasma interceptors, two squads of hellblazers, with a librarian & captain. Then two squads of Stormtroopers. Figured the primaris would be the solid core the scions would ride flank around. That way scions soak up hits from targets first & primaris fuck everything up with plasma

do Primaris Hellblasters make effective allies for other Imperium armies? I love me some long-ranged plasma annihilation.

hellblasters are great, heck I've even seen inceptors do well.

The problem isn't that the units themselves are bad, they're just a very limited whole and need allies. It's like Admech or sisters. Some primaris backed up by regular marines or IG for example would be crazy scary.

what are you going to use as line troops, your list sounds like a major glass canon right now.

Scions? Not sure really. Never actually played. Trying to contemplate what I should buy/need first.

Thematically they are supposed to be reinforcements or replacements for casualties to existing chapters. Eventually they will likely replace old chapters entirely, but even after 200 years since Primaris were introduced there are still many Space Marines of the old sort left.

Mixed armies are therefore entirely fitting to the current setting.

stormtroopers are good, but they lack numbers/durability for their cost. They're almost as expensive as space marines for less toughness and less armor, remember that. They're meant to drop in, hit hard, hit fast, then either get the heck out of dodge or, in game, die.

If you want something to hold ground you either want guardsmen, scouts, or tactical marines.

I like scions looks. Can I buy scions buy stat them as guardsmen?

nah, at that point if you like scions build them as scions. They're not bad at all trust me, just letting you know what they traditionally do. Stormtroopers are pretty nasty this edition and if you're willing to go in on them for a bulk of your army you will do fine. The little bastards are tough as nails and hit like a truck.

Just buy several of the getting started boxes and you're set, you'll have some spare commissars but if I remember right you still save money even if you never touch the commissar models in the box.

Will they pair with Primaris?

I don't mind being a glass canon as long as the canon hits hard enough

OP again, I have one more tactics question concerning the Numarines. Now, as I understand it, the Intercessors are basically super tacticals.

Would it be viable to have a 10 man blob essentially march up the board, absorbing fire? It's an idea I've been playing with, although I can see several problems (namely points).

issue is that that blob is sliiiightly more durable than tacticals, for significantly more points, and can't take the special or heavy weapons that a tactical squad can.

the current rules greatly favor horde armies, and primaris marines are ultra elite and a lot of points per model.

Scions are exactly like other anons have described, with their special order and the Laurels of Command relic, some squads of plasma toting Scions dropping in can and will royally fuck up what you point them at and will force the opponent to take them out to not get face fucked so thoroughly for more then one turn. For Durability, if you're running Scions run with the regular guard in a seperate detachment to supply mass bodies that can still hold objectives back field and are just numerous enough to not be too easily removed. For allies, regular Marines or even Admech work better, Primaris are just too expensive and too niche to fill that role well. I actually use a Knight for bigger games almost specifically for it to be a fire magnet and it never disappoints for that role.

In short, if you play any imperial army you've got a host of options to choose from to take with your big toy soldiers, the Primaris aren't one of them.

What would be a good pairing to Hellblazers & plasma Interceptors Then? I'm willing to change my mind away from Scions but I want a cool look

In the long run I think it's likely that they'll be the only marines, so you may as well get started.

>DtFE
deaht to the false emperor if you roll a 6 you genreate an attack
>Figured the primaris would be the solid core the scions would ride flank around
not necessarily the worst idea, taurox primes are good.
but the scion's true strength is being abel to drop in melta/rapid fire plasma range.
>That way scions soak up hits from targets first & primaris fuck everything up with plasma
generally the primarius are better at that because 2 wounds and +2 saves in cover. only problem is they are allergenic to plasma.
I've found that scions are the best responce unit in the game, see a problem, kill it.
need an objective, take it
and primarious generally make good sit and shit backliners

>Sisters
>Very limited
What? You can take anti-tank, anti-infantry, or general purpose weapons in every squad, up to 3 or 5 per 5 models. That's one of the broadest set of loadout options in the game for infantry. Hell, they've even got 3 valid options for transports. Just because they don't have 50 different shitty guns that no one uses available doesn't mean they're limited.

I guess you could take some Hellblasters and give them the Heavy Plasma Incinerators and just sit back and enjoy rerolls to 1 with a Captain, but you're paying a lot for that and at that point you might as well invest for a whole squad of ten so that they aren't just deleted off the table cause 5 man squads are easy to delete 2 wounds or not. Inceptors with Plasma are both SUPER specific about what you want to aim them at, and need someone to baby sit them to deal with any 1's you roll so they don't stop existing due to bad rolls so would ALSO need a Captain to give them the reroll as well. So either way, you pay a lot more in support units to get the most of them, Which hurts a bit if you want to use them with Scions cause the Inceptors w.plasma do the same thing that Scion w. plasma do but not as well due to lack of orders and neither will help each other due to rules only effecting each army separately. Just leave them with the base Bolter and be done with it.

Hellblasters could work with them by just sitting back and poking at high priority targets to finish anything the Scions don't immediately kill. I personally would just stick with regular Marines, but if you already got the Primaris Marines, might as well use em.

I do really want to use Primaris (& hopefully with plasma), they are my new "my dudes". I just need to find something to run alongside them to fill in the gaps they have.

Name something in your list that has longer than 36" range that isn't ass.

Now list a viable AT weapon with a range better than 24".

Now list where flamers are good in this edition.

Don't get me wrong sisters have strengths, but they also have some pretty glaring weaknesses. Just like admech lacks transports, primaris lack numbers, etc.

>1D4Chan tactics page
Your first mistake

Get a couple Laspreds to go with them, Primaris are small in number but can be pretty strong with a Raven guard alpha strike, since they keep stealing the first turn with their low unit count.

I run an all Primaris army. It's absolutely viable if you're playing in a relatively 'normal/casual' context. By that I mean against well rounded lists which don't abuse spam and uber powerful options.

If your metagame is heavily competetive then they're not as viable. However if you take Girlyman and spam hellblasters, maybe the repulsor tank and aggressors you've got a pretty cheesy list on your hand.

My current 2k/100 pl list is roughly

>Captain in Gravis Armour with Santic Halo
>Primaris Librarian
>Primaris Lieutenant

>3 x 5 man intercessor squads with bolt rifles and power sword captain

>3 x 5 man hellblaster squads with plasma incinerators

>Lascannon predator

>2 x 3 man inceptor squads

>redemptor dreadnought with heavy onslaught cannon.

Scions hit fucking hard if you manage to pull off an efficient firing line. The command squad especially can take 4 heavy weapons and deepstrike in with the Prime, slab a command rod on him and you get say, 4 volley guns rerolling 1s to hit and 1s to wound. Nasty shit, and forces your opponent to change tactics on the fly to get rid of them.

The problem is that you don't have time to really set up that firing line. You need to do it ASAP, fire, then try to keep moving. If you waste a turn just trying to position and can't fire due to range, you'll be half wiped out next turn before you can bring your guns to bear. So yeah, pretty glass cannon.

What's wrong with that?

So get closer? 36" range is entirely respectable in an edition where heavy weapons can move and fire, and those AT weapons are attached to bodies that can move over 2 feet in the first turn. Just because you can't sit in one corner and shoot at everything on the entire table doesn't mean Sisters have limited options.

And flamers are perfectly fine for mowing down orks and conscripts. It may not be optimal to kit out 3/4 of your army with them like it was in 7th, but they're not trash like gravguns are now. They also come baked in to the transports, which are some of the best in the game despite coming with "shitty" flamers instead of asscannons and gatling guns.

>140 points for 10 Tacs
>180 points for 10 Ints
Not that significant. If the opponent only shoots them with Damage 1 weapons, they're twice as tough. Same with Mortal Wounds.

I use my stormtroopers to drop in and kill shit. They are your go to guys for killing stuff because their mobility allows them to be flexible. I see primaris marines as meatshields for my stormtroopers to be honest. Besides the hellblasters they have the wounds and toughness I need as frontline units.

Also forgot to mention another thing I like to do is deepstrike stormies alongside rievers with knives to compensate for scion weakness in melee.

>What's wrong with that?
monkey ladder syndrome.

So i could run Hellblaster Primaris as the meat & just drop my Scions on hardpoints/valuable targets?

It's still a good source for basic information as long as you acknowledge that it was written by a bunch of retards from /40kg/ that don't actually play the game. Hopefully it'll save a new player from stupid shit like taking flamer vets or something.

What?

Basically, parroting back bullshit because "that's the way it is," and not because of an understanding of what, how, and why.

No no I mean hellblasters can actually kill stuff so theyre just as valuable as scion, but less mobile. Intercessors, Aggressors, and Rievers are what I would use as meat.

But they do provide explanations for most things.

>Is it viable to run an all Primaris army?
No

>I'm assuming its not all that competitive, but if I go this route how tough will it be?

Very tough. 8th ed rules made it impossible for elite armies. You either run mecha, character soup or hordes.

Out of curiosity, what's a potential fix for this? Just reducing the cost of elite infantry? That seems like it would just erode the distinction between elites and hordes. Would another wound bring primaris and terminators up to par or would it not help since everything they got shot with is multiple damage anyway?

No.