How would your typical low magic setting (lets say for the sake of explanation only potions are magic or similar) would...

How would your typical low magic setting (lets say for the sake of explanation only potions are magic or similar) would change if people had nine lives like cats?

Lets assume each person who is born is born with a number of horns symbolizing how many lived they've lived up to having a crown of 9 horns. Let's also assume that most if not all people can meditate on their past lives after reaching maturity to tap into their past skillsets and knowledges in a simple way such as remembering geological areas and how to weild certain weapons.

I see people on their first life being seen as very unskilled even into old age. People who had lost their first few lives early would be jaded as shit. I feel like people would have as many children as possible to try to have a 9th gen soul be born into their family. I feel like families of 9th gen would look down on 1st gen souls and despise those of new souls born into their family. This might even make a caste system where the 9th souls gather to lead the people.

Furthermore let's assume that the soul weakens every time you die, but is more educated and refined. That's why you only live 9 lives, your soul just can't take more than that. If the soul was refined and educated enough to leave the host body a little bit near the later lives, then as long as you have a material that can interact with the soul you now have a means of making prosthetics for old souls. Perhaps an empty shell of an arm or something with a "soul adhesive" on the inside to keep the soul in. Perhaps people who have had near death experiences have more outward souls that are less tied to the body. This would make for easier prosthesis for those who have lost body parts as well even if they are low gen souls as long as they have had a near death experience.

Just for clarification, this works by NORMAL reincarnation "avatar" type rules. You don't just get back up after you're stabbed.

Posting info from yesterday's thread in next post.

So far we have :

Court Intrigue Would be Noble Houses not Breeding Children with Many Horns

Fake Horns for Satire

Surgery Might Branch off into inducing near death to allow for prosthetics

Technology Would Develop Very Quickly

Tattoo of Names of Your Past Lives On Your Body Somewhere

Proving Who You Were In A Past Life Would Be Very Important

Most People Probably Write Memoirs So That They Can Prove Who They Are In Their Next Life

Cities Upon Cities of Records of People's Diaries and Memoires

Prophets Would Have a Lot Harder Time Justificying Their Visions As From a God and Not A Past Life

Young Generation Souls Would Want to Prove Themselves

Multiple Life Senteces

Horns Length is Based on Years Lived In the Life It Represents

Horn Detail Is Based on How Eventful The Life Was

Nubs That Don't Break The Skin would be A Stillbirth

I can't tell you how to create your own world and setting, but I think a warrior occupations would be common for the "younger" generations/lifespans. For example, a person living their first or second life would be expected to die in defense of their nation or on a military campaign. Both, because they've the the lives to spare and because they're youth makes them natural thrill seekers.

I was thinking that too. Older generations would probably be strongly averted to the idea of being in the military since they have already died a soldiers death possibly multiple times.

Like Time Lords?

What exactly happens between lives? Are they reincarnated with their memories intact or do their bodies magically teleport or regenerate?

How is that like Time Lords?
They are reincarnated and then have visons or flashes of their past lives during youth until they hit maturity. Sometime around 16.

Idk about all that shit but it would be cool if it wasn't obvious so you never really knew what life people were on unless they told you.

What benefit does that hold? I feel like it's just as strong of a concept for RP

>They are reincarnated and then have visons or flashes of their past lives during youth until they hit maturity. Sometime around 16.

Ok, then there's an issue with jailing them across multiple lives or even tracking who is who. Because it's only apparent to the reincarnated individual. Also, you have an issue with parents that might want to only bring new life into the world. Not facilitate the resurrection of another of their race. Would this process be controllable? Would it result in massive rejection of reborn "children"? Negatively affect birth rates?

We discussed this last night. We came up with the conclusion that to find out who someone was you would have to prove who they WEREN'T first. Say you're in investigator looking for a 3 horned individual so you can jail them from their second life.

You would need to find a 3 horned individual, once you have a suspect you would have to ask them who they were in their second life. Then you would need them to prove it. Population control would probably be a thing just for this purpose alone. You would then need to question them using the memoirs of the 2 horned individual they claim to be. "Being held for questioning" would be something entirely different than in the real world. You could probably be held for questioning for years while people delve through diary upon diary about the 2 horned individual. Once you're caught lying about your 2nd life you'll be even more suspected most likely. It's pretty smooth sailing from there on though.

People would most likely tattoo the names of their past lives on themselves as well expect those with something to hide. Add to that fact that their horn for their second life would give away that they weren't wildly respected or anything and you have your prime suspect. There would be a lot being put in prison without being proven guilty, which I like a lot.

I wouldn't imagine there would be a strong need to jail people for multiple life times. I get the impression that people don't suddenly have their old lives melded with them but they just become memories that can be tapped into.

Well, unless they were an 8 horn warlord who almost took over the world. Could be a moral dilemma for players.

Well when it comes to the warlord example imagine if Hitler could be reborn. The nazi's would have searched high and low for him.

yeah, but it would take, like, 16 years for them to be able to find him (or her if gender isn't tied to soul) and I'd imagine it would be a bit late to do all that much unless they were really good at creating an underground organization.

What happens after the ninth death? Does the soul dissipate and its consciousness cease entirely, or it does it move on to another dimension?

Just force people to register their past lives at 16. If there’s a clash (2 people claim the same lives, you bring them in for questioning). It would be very hard for someone on their 4th life to be able to correctly fake their anscetory all the way down.

Of course for this to work being unregistered is a serious offence too. The punishment would be awkward, on one hand it needs to be severe enough that it’s preferable to turn yourself in, on the other hand you can’t have executions etc or you’re just making more work for yourself.

M8, I wouldn't be so sure about that. /pol/ would dig up fort fucking knox, I can't imagine what lengths the reincarnations of legitimate nazis would go to.

Who knows? Haven't gotten that far.

>or her if gender isn't tied to soul

Yeah, I didn't even think of that! Race, ethnicity, and sex could change between incarnations. That's pain in the ass. OP I recommend you don't worry about that facet of it because that is some confusing bullshit.

That could be an interesting idea, to leave it ambiguous, and have a few competing philosophical movements, each with their own idea of what happens. One believes in a final true death where consciousness ceases in eternal oblivion, one believes in a heaven/hell afterlife where you're judged based on the weight of your past lives virtues and sins, and one believes souls simply reset, losing their memories and cycle back into the system, starting all over again. That could be neat.

Or somebody thinks a mythical country exists where the "enlightened" people continue on into further lives.

What about a religious movement that centers on forgetting the past to expand their awareness from new experiences. They would consider reflecting on past lives as regression, contrary to others who use their past lives to enhance their current life. These "one lifers" would view people who consistantly use their past lives for skills for their current and future lives with contempt and see them as lesser people who do not use their gifts of life to grow in new and unexplored ways each time.

In another dimension, maybe.

I like to imagine they have like a 3rd eye painted on their head and are just absolute assholes who go out into the street and preach this shit loudly.

Just the "young" ones with only 1 horn.

God, can you imagine how fucking annoying religious people would be in this setting? I'm trying to think of what the "capital sins" would be in this this setting. I think lying would be a HUGE one.

I like the idea of people who are reincarnations of horrible people would saw off their own horns to reject their past lives. Could be a cool rebellious teen phase that people go through. Maybe if a horn gets cut off, you lose the memories of the past life or they don't grow out in another life?

The horns are going to convey some sort of status in a way that age does now, but you can also assume that most people would treat age as less significant as a result.

Plus, you're going to end up with people lying about it. Filing down or cutting off horns to hide your age, or potentially crafting horns to mimic being "older". Maybe only real horns can make decent facsimiles, so maybe people steal them in a horrible, disfiguring way and trade them on the black market; kind of like selling an organ.

Maybe you have civil unrest due to the caste system that the horns create; a movement of people who all remove their horns, or wear garments to hide them, or want to make it so that everyone has their horns cut as a sign of civility.

There's room for interesting culture clash.

>Maybe you have civil unrest due to the caste system that the horns create; a movement of people who all remove their horns, or wear garments to hide them, or want to make it so that everyone has their horns cut as a sign of civility

Cultural clashing would be probably the best theme for this setting.

What cultures could arise?
>Castes are based upon the number of horns one has. Communal child-rearing so that if a child is born with a different number of horns than their parents then they can be raised by the "proper" kind of people.
>One-Horns (maybe even Two) are considered intrinsically worthless.
>9-Horns are considered sages, even if they're lazy fucks or that one guy who wants to fight bears.
>It is taboo to talk about your past lives. Whilst this doesn't stop people using skills learnt from their older selves, explaining how is considered rude. Even more so to find still-living people from your past life.

How about names?

Do the people use their "True names", meaning that they just pile the names on like
>pic related.

Her name is Kiss-Shot Acerola-Orion Heart-Under-Blade. I think her name actually did have some chronology stuff going on, her being an immortal vampire and all that.

Can this bitch stop going Silence of the Lambs cover art on dice? It's nasty. Nobody will want to roll something covered in saliva and glitter and lipstick.

Souls get fragmented in ten parts. The first 9 get recycled in the creation of completely new souls. Nobody knows what the tenth part does, but they claim the loss of the tenth part is what's leading to the collapse of their society.

>taboo to talk about your past life
I could see people thinking it's rude. It would be inherently rude to kind of shit all over someone's point during a conversation by saying something like "Yeah well that's how I died once." or something to that effect. Conversation and "ideas" would probably be much different.

I've thought about this as well. Naming yourself a list of names like that would be a good idea. It would allow you to avoid being mistaken for someone else and probably a good bit of prosecution. As we've stated earlier, being honest about your past lives would be VERY important.

I guarantee you it's SOMEONE's fetish.

Maybe the 10th part is the inherent will of the soul and not the meat sack you put it in? Soul's inherent will as an object is to ascend to another plain of existence so once that part is all that's left that's what it does. I feel like this would lead to some lazy high gen souls, which I don't like though.

I used to date the girl who make the second of those dice photos. Haven't seen it surface on Veeky Forums in a long time, probably been 10 years since it was made.

I got it by google searching "Sexy D&D" or something to that effect a few years ago. I use it every now and then to grab attention since sex and faces work really well for grabbing people's attention in situations like this better than a picture that actually pertains to my post.

I wonder if sexism and racism would either disappear, or at least be massively reduced.

That's fairly pessimistic; I'd imagine maybe three-horns could raise one-horns, as they know more about the world

Also I think the age of majority would probably be much higher - 18x9 is 162, so maybe people wouldn't be able to vote until their third life?

>low magic setting
>nine lives
So, paranoia?

Paranoia is sci-fi isnt it?

Assuming people live until 30 or 60 on average I would just say that it should be based on accumulated age.

What a stimulating setting.
Sorry by advance for my english, that’s top level here.

Okay so people automatically remember their past lives? And they automatically get rebirth? It’s some sort of Mathusalem system of souls?

Let’s do dome math
1 gen (ever) : 10 people
A live can be something between few month and a dozen of centuries, so 60 yeers average.
2 gen (60 years) : 10 people + 10 people (1 gen)
And you repeat
At the 9 gen, there’s 10 people with grade 9, and 10 people with grade 1.

But the whole group was up for 560 years, and it’ll continue with the disappearance of the 9 gen to a new one.

It’ll be somawhat interesting with the lifes had some waiting times between rebirth, no? Like if it was totally random, and someone with 8 horns could technically be older (greater time covered) than a 9 horn? Making the concept of leadership (if related to knowledge) more complex?

Lord of Light had a different, but similar concept.

>bodies are grown in tanks, and people can have their consciousness transferred into new bodies
>The "gods" haave set up a strict caste system. When somebody requires a new body, their entire life is weighed, to determine if they are to advance or to decline in status
>For great sin, one might be subject to become a dog, or a rat, or an ape for a lifetime
>People low on the rung are born into their societal role, regardless of what they know
>people high on the rung have some degree of predestination: they have the power to choose their fates (sort of)

Bear in mind this is a world in which the people are colonists from earth, the gods are what remains of the crew, who have lived for tens of thousands of years, and the commoners are the descendants of the crew and passengers, who have mostly lived only a handful of lives.

Anyone who actually dies suffers the real death.

What you're saying sounds REALLY interesting but I honestly can't make out half of what you're trying to convey. Are you trying to talk about how long it would take for the first people born to populate into 9th gen?

I was somehow stating elements to figure them out.
I don’t want to sound too rational but the mathematics show that :
1 the growth of population isn’t regular some die at 7 some at 98. A double horn can be 34 (11/23), while a friend in first life is still alive (34 too). So if there’s a random rebirth time, the automatic connection disappears.
2 the 9th grade state. I like the idea, but I also know that life can be very harsh. Among all destinies, there could be someone that always die young. So it could be a 9 horn very fast. But is it the same power as other 9 horns? Does a 78 years lifepan 9 horn as strong/knowledgeable than a 500 years lifepan 9 horn? Maybe the 9th circle has a purpose for «young ones» and for «old ones».
3 the amount of different horns is the same. As the rebirth is linear, there’s as much 9 horns as 1 horn. This look like a problem when numbers of horns are linked to social status. Maybe that’d be interesting to introduce «meaningless» death. A random probability that death lead you into oblivion/void instead of a next life (the 10th one being 100% void). Maybe some kind of divine judgment, when you don’t exactly do what was planned for you.

I hope it’s clearer, kind hard to explain (especially if I got dome base ideas/concepts wrong) :3

A respectful gamer would play with dice BEFORE the game. That’s okay.

I'm just afraid she'll choke to death on it

So many thoughts that can be made here. But this sort of shit is the real-worldbuilding. The Tolkien-esque worldbuilding where you start at the beginning and progress through time, making the tock-tick of nature as natural as possible. With things that likely will never be seen but still felt their presence. Going away to write this shit up and see what comes out.

I like the random chance of void as you go through lives