Golden Sun Homrebrew 2.0 Thread: We're Back

EONS AGO, when the when the year was ~2014, I (with the help of several anons here) laid the groundwork for a fairly faithful representation of the Golden Sun video games as a tabletop RPG.

After regaining my interest in the series recently, I looked back through my old material and promptly threw my hands up in disgust. So, I'm stripping down what can still be salvaged and streamlining the needlessly fiddly bits from the old system (such as making the channeling system less restrictive, making stats easier to understand, making djinn more impactful, and so on).

LINKS:
>2.0 Core Rules: docs.google.com/document/d/1LOJzZlP7BiT7IqMuyXK1wifbvUtKHuXhUDsKk4tHO3c/edit
>Character sheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1SOojefFIRym_LNpfCn0TOgWxprJNXBcNkIw7V5rn9XU/edit#gid=1142811022
>Class Sheet: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1A4No6_94mrDUGja75uQI3mD0om14MvNO95Y_XetGdtI/edit#gid=0
>Make a Custom Anything: docs.google.com/document/d/1c6F_SnivgEt-bdej0t5gdAP5zyKBM31o6-Be1ZI80Fo/edit
>Pregenned Psynergy: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1MUqfz6GMhIm4Oti4kjlJynEJUsgJS2jkFBZR7yTDPVM/edit#gid=0

and finally my heartfelt thanks to Mr. Blue Sky, who shilled my jank-ass system for all these intervening years.

Other urls found in this thread:

pastebin.com/XyaA6UYi
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15-xu0T4AUg9FeWncT7xjiNekUikDyLSBjCU6drb2F7I/edit#gid=0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

>What the fuck is this?
Golden Sun vidya-to-tabletop-to-actually-playable-tabletop game.

>This rule/mechanic is fucking retarded.
Cool, give me some ideas on how to fix it.

>This system is shit, use this other system instead!
No.

>Current step in development:
I'm shit at coming up with names, and need a bunch of themed ones for some replacement classes to fill in the gaps (list here):
pastebin.com/XyaA6UYi

TO-DO List:
>Currently lacking class stats (which are kinda fucking important, I know), which I intend to rectify once I've got some names for the replacement classes. Converting the 1.0 classes wont be too hard, thankfully.
>System currently lacks utility psynergy, and costs haven't been updated for the new PP system yet.
>Gotta do the boring data entry to make class sheet tabs for every class once I get the class replacements named.
>Make pregenned items (the ones anons made in the old thread archives are lost to time, far as I can find)
>Set up a proper XP/Money system (currently just working off of rules of thumb)
>Balance psynergy by class advancement (currently you get weird situations of leveling up only to get a worse psynergy than you already had)
>Consider adding other classes (such as item classes like acrobat)
>Consider adding other races (proxians, beastmen, lemurians, etc.)
>Balance those
>Format and organize everything into a coherent reading order
>doll everything up into a PDF

One of the more recent system additions is the ability to augment any action (rather than just psynergy in the old system), like movement.

So if you ever wanted skate around on created ice like some kind of waterbending jackass, or launch yourself through the air by firing explosions from your hands (or your ass, i'm not gonna judge), or a floating field of stones for you to maneuver freely in 3D with, now you can!

You can also alter the terrain in the same manner, making smokescreens or walls of stone or icy floors for some unfortunate bastard to break his goddamn neck on, you can be my guest. as long as you can justify it and pay the cost, you're good to go.

Bumping for interest

>making golden sun into a tabletop

Oh man this is great. I didn't know this existed.

I return! Had to let the thread coast overnight.

anyone have any class name suggestions for the pastebin in the second post?

>filename
hold up ONE FUCKING SECOND DD was absolute trash, and you know it but only when compared to the first two, Golden Sun as a whole isn't that special, anyway

certainly the weakest of the trio yeah, but not as bad as some people cry about.

they just aimed it at their nostalgia fanbase's kids, not at the nostalgia fans themselves.

For anyone with the time to look over the rules and such, if there's anything from the games that you feel is poorly or not represented at all, or that needs more detailed explanation, please feel free to point it out.

still looking for name suggestions on the flipped classes

Here's the current element + base class selections: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/15-xu0T4AUg9FeWncT7xjiNekUikDyLSBjCU6drb2F7I/edit#gid=0

once i fill in the gaps, i'll set up the socialite (slightly more castery) and journeyman (slightly more martial) for more balanced class selections

Well well well someone else knows about Golden Sun. I thought I was the only one.

there's been threads periodically asking about it or wondering what system might work for it.

I've seen a couple people use the BGM for their own campaigns as well.

I've got roughly an hour and a half until I've gotta leave for DnD, so if anyone's got any questions or suggestions tonight, now'd be the time.

and so the dark eye of prophecy levels it's baleful gaze upon me.
i'll be back once i'm back (that totally makes sense, im sure). in the meantime: SUGGESTIONS!

got a weapon you'd like to see? muse on it!
try making your own psynergy to test out the build-your-own rules! I don't fuckin' know man I'm sure you guys can entertain yourselves.

Kinda cool

I remember the original threads

Djinn are cute. Wishing you luck, OP! Kinda bogged down in my own projects.

I return once again to the realm of the living!

good to see someone remembers after so long.

that they are.