It has been said that Cyberpunk 2020 was a pure crystalization of the spirit of the 80's...

It has been said that Cyberpunk 2020 was a pure crystalization of the spirit of the 80's, and World of Darkness was the spirit of the 90's.

Veeky Forums: how would you make an RPG that is a pure crystalization of the spirit of the soon gone 2010's?

Other urls found in this thread:

projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/kurieg/beast-the-primordial/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Something mass-marketed, cheaply made, and largely making it’s money from secondary products and such rather then the game itself.

You play as revolutionaries attempting to take down the evil tyrant Dronerg Blumpf. Everyone has low strength scores.

Hey, this thread has potential to result in an interesting discussion about the changing zeitgeist, generational psychology and cultural and media trends - nah who am I kidding it'll just be a ton of /pol/ memes.

>A world which is more connected and more technologically advanced than ever
>But at the same time, more people than ever are lonely, disillusioned with the way things are and tension between various groups of people are at an all time high
>Men aren't really that happy, women aren't that happy, majorities aren't happy, minorities aren't happy
>Economic opportunities just aren't there anymore
>Everyone is just begrudgingly trudging on, not sure if there's actually anything better waiting for them tomorrow
>It feels like everyone and everything is on edge
>Global corporations are basically god-like entities who are untouchable and everyone is fueling them unwittingly

Its essence would be a feeling of helplessness, disillusion, loneliness and despair. A bleak era defined by dissatisfaction.

I don't see anybody looking back at the 2010s with adoration. Unless things are going to become so bad we'll have to invent time machine to set them right.

>Veeky Forums: how would you make an RPG that is a pure crystalization of the spirit of the soon gone 2010's?
aesthetics of WoW
diversity of M:tG past Tarkir
mechanically simplified d20 system
ridden with not-so-subtle memes

It wouldn't be nice, but it would honest.

People are going to be just as attached to them 20 years from now as you're to whenever you grew up, and they're going to be just as disgusted with whatever the situation is then. Every adult human since the dawn of time looked at society and thought it was degenerate compared to how he remembered it growing up.

Nah, some decades were worse than others and some stood out as better brighter times. It's also depends on the country and its history if you haven't noticed yet.

Also OP, I got an idea from this post 2010s seem like a time of endless ubiquitous contrarianism

I disagree.

>Nah, some decades were worse than others
Yeah in objective terms, but people will still look back on their childhood as a wonderful time.

So Eldrith abomination slowy eat your identity as all human being try to create their own little snowflake identity to live some more time before their end as the world endlessly go down through destruction, oh and it can stop any moment, you just have to act but you don't want.

Eh, depends when you grew up. My dad grew up in the Great Depression, he had exactly zero nostalgia for that and was pretty insistent that the world had gotten better from when he grew up.

But see, it's a question of how the individual looks at it. My grandpa grew up at the same time, and he STILL misses how "decent" and "honest" everything was back then, before the damn kids got into them internets and became faggots.

>but people will still look back on their childhood as a wonderful time
I was born shortly before the fall of the Union and my earliest fond "childhood" memory would date back to the age of 14.

Somthing streamlined and easy that appeals to some one dark and edgy.

4e

Kind like 1980

The thing is that you can't act. The eldritch abomination is everywhere. Its tendrils are in everything. You acting alone won't change anything. The eldritch being's grip on the world could be severed if everyone acted together, but most people won't. It would require too much effort.

Yeah, decency was not something my father was much of a fan of. I say that as the 8th legitimate child he had and we are sure he had at least that many illegitimate. I'm pretty sure he went for everything man, woman or just intoxicating at one point and was still hitting on people in his late 80s. His favourite time periods was the 70s and he was very happy with how social movements had changed stuff during his life. Mostly skirt length.

Not me nigger. Not everything about new social trends is good, but neither is it all bad.

Just play Cyberpunk 2020 but cut out the blatantly 80s bits. We're living it, baby.

>Mostly skirt length.
A man with his priorities straight, I see.

user's dad, bard.

Mage the awakening, but with memes instead of science.

>You know the Grest Depression? I was there! It was great and depressing!

The "X" card, because it isn't a new system itself but a political tool crowbarred onto other systems to show off how thoughtful and nice you are while ruining the experience for others.

accurate but weird as, if you look at the numbers, it's one of the most peaceful times ever on earth and more people are being lifted out of poverty than ever before.
It SHOULD be a golden age but feels like a slow creep into a dark age

>kids got into them internets and became faggots.

Look at this website and disagree with him. I dare you.

Well, we're moving steadily towards a world of megacorps so cyberpunk seems as good a choice as any. Just replace Weyland Yutani with Amazon and you're golden.

Pathfinder?

GURPS

Yeah, Google making armies of military robots and drones and big pharma testing its new bioweapons in third world countries to create another cycle of hysteria and raise sales. It doesn't seem too far fetched.

I think if we were being honest it would have to be about civilization in decay, heading towards collapse. As a theme anyhow.

I think a focus would likely be tribalism. Having to be a member of a tribe in order to survive, while making the point that it is tribalism that is causing the most trouble.

Some flavor of cyberpunk, but without the glam.

The real problem with the game is picking a cool/engaging combat enabler. Let's face it, RPGs are about combat and conflict. So any RPG has to be centered on that.

>how would you make an RPG that is a pure crystalization of the spirit of the soon gone 2010's?

Sup

What about the 00's?

...So Dark Souls?

What's this?

Dungeon World.
It's fast, with a strong core mechanic built to enhance the story, not restrict it like the shitty D&D mechanics. Failure in Dungeon World is actually interesting, and all of the abilities are codified into the core mechanic to make it fast, fun, and easy to use. The combat is also much, much better. A dragon doesn't need 300 hit points to be challenging like it does in D&D, it can do stuff that's actually terrifying, like rip a character's arm off. Also, armor is damage reduction so no more of this "less likely to hit, but still does full damage if it does hit" bullshit. The monster stats are incredibly light, character creation is extremely fast and fluid, with just as many options as D&D when you consider that most of D&D is trap options. There is no powergaming in Dungeon World, just a fast story-based game that still has the mechanics from D&D that you love (hit points, classes, etc) but with much stronger mechanics that lead to a more fulfilling roleplaying experience.

My last session of Dungeon World, my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window into the castle moat. This is real roleplaying we're talking about here, not babby D&D shit where you have to make two different rolls and then have some autist look up how far you can move about while grappling. Dungeon World is about fun and good story, not rules and combat bullshit.

You and your brothers in IS try to fight the supremacy of money as the be all, and end all of goals and the restoration of God's given laws on Earth. Crusading against the evil forces of the fedora and corporate militantism.

There is nothing there. NOTHING AT ALL.

Peaceful doesn't equal happy, nor prosper. At even, the most proper age can coincide with the age with more poverty, since depending on how you are calculating prosperity, it can be focused on just a country, or a small elite in every country, or even just a small elite in a single country who happens to have 99% of the world's wealth in their hands. The world might be the richest it has ever been overall and most of the population be under extreme squalor.

I'd argue that wars, as bad as they are, tend to be shakers of status quo. At least when it's big dog vs big dog. When a big country use military assets to put a poor country down, then war is a reinforcement of status quo. But also tends to be shorter and with less casualties than a full blown war between great powers.

So it makes sense that an age of ecnomical stagnation and mega rich corps and execs would be marked by peace, actually. And even doesnt have to include extreme poverty, as that can lead to rebellions and abandoment of the system, but people living with the bare necessities covered and a unreachable carrot in the end of the stick.

The good ol' days after 9-11

Dark Souls actually echoes the psyche of Japan very well.

Okay, I must be hallucinating after that snake bite

projects.inklesspen.com/fatal-and-friends/kurieg/beast-the-primordial/

Oh my goodly friend, welcome to the SJW age

shame that 90's already did cyberpunk

Honestly, even SJWs don't like Beast (As part of it's message about 'You are born this way and shouldn't be ashamed' also includes 'You are a monster that needs to hurt people to live and the world would be objectively better without you'). It basically turned 'Fucking up' into an Olympic sport where it could take Gold, Silver and Bronze.

That's the worst thing, user. We're living the nightmare.

... are you intentionally trying to bait someone into saying "5e"?

>old bastard
Grew up and raised in the 80's, the 90's for me where becoming and adult and the 00's where basically war. For me at least the 80's-90's where a better memory than anything post 00. If I'm honest the 2010's where also better in the sense I'd moved beyond my past and into something new as technology is really racing ahead, its interesting to see how social networks function now as a result of communications tech. Back when I was growing up, social networks where worn externally so to speak, you knew a group by what they wore, makeup, hairstyles and the music they listened to- now its far more nebulous in that a 'social network' is less tribal and far more insular cliques of friend circles. People still have some group affinity and affections they associate with, but being able to tell them from a glance isn't nearly as easy as it once was.
I don't think its bad, but I do see it as very interesting.

The rise of 'Corporations' was always going to happen, how extreme that corporate law is still mostly on a bit of a leash in western countries, but in asia and africa its the mega-corps we all figured would happen and how they act with impunity.

that's equally likely to be 3.5/PF

Peacefulness is not a good metric of happiness. War shakes shit up, which breaks stagnation. More improvements happened in the immediate wake of the world wars than had happened in 50+ years before them.

3.5/PF are actually selling the game/expansions for the game, adventure paths, shit like that.

5e makes more money from everything else.

Hard to say, honestly. We're not nearly distant enough to really get a feel for it, to see what cream rises from the dross. WoD isn't really evocative of the 90's so much as the essence or spirit of the 90's, the zeitgeist that everyone remembers 10+ years down the road.

Overwhelming borderline rabid patriotism and the consummation of ultravapid celebrity obsessed pop culture (TMZ and the like), a meteoric rise in technology that society is struggling and failing to find a place for and adapt to, and a powerful smug liberal underbelly.

Probably Mage the Awakening.
>pic only somewhat related

While poverty is not as widespread as it once was, the standarts have been raised. While in the middle ages a common peasant would know that he'll never be someone relevant, and would be happy with a simpler life as long as there's food and a place to sleep. Now, anything that isn't the top isn't enough for anyone, having the enough to live is nowhere near enough.
It's a harsh era for mediocre people

I hate to use the word, but this shit is really cringey. It's so heavy handed. Political shit flinging should stay out of games that aren't explicitly about politics.

What a fucking disgusting swine

Just make an RPG out of Aldous Huxley's Brave New World.

Fuck, you're right. The crowd it's pandering to might not like it but holy shit it's pretty spot on. I mean it's all about being a hateful sociopath who hurts and ruins the lives of others to "teach them a lesson", but it's okay because you're actually an otherkin of the monster in the closet and that's good, and everybody is your friend for no reason! And if they don't want to be your friend you can bully and harrass them to.

I mean for christ sake the game has a fucking gamergate refference and rules for doxxing people

Seconding this.

A world in which everything is falling apart, but common people are too distracted by their own poverty and social media posts to do anything about it.

Brave New World + Cyberpunk (with smaller phones, cybernetics-as-a-service, and hipsters instead of glam rock)

Cute pasta. The third time I read it in a week.

>if you look at the numbers, it's one of the most peaceful times ever on earth and more people are being lifted out of poverty than ever before.

More people are born into destitute poverty than ever before too. There's just more people all around. Given where all the population growth is, the median standard of living is probably dropping in fact. As are IQs.

Memes, Drones and GoPros.

I'm not sure why, but I feel like there should be a heavy emphasis around this quote;

"As it stands now, anyone who lives for the next thirty years is likely to live for the next thousand." So maybe hipsters, advanced technology, wireless everything, extremely invasive spying, overcharging, underpaying, corporate shadow governments that are actually right there on the surface but have utilized an army of social marketers to turn the tide in their favor, moronic rulers who slap around the people at large as the PCs have scarce resources to stop them. A vision of hope in the distance, maybe. Some fleeting light.

A lengthy transhuman version of /pol/ vs Shia. He's hurled the flag into a wormhole and pollacks have invented FTL in return

character creation includes choosing a spirit object you identify with and a set pronouns characters have to use when addressing you, otherwise they are penalized with negative exp

You only think that because you're on the reservation of contrarianism that is Veeky Forums. Political correctness has literally never been stronger. Kids these days are nothing but a bunch of sheep and tools. Being lame is the new cool.

There's less transhumanist believers now than there were 10 years ago, that boat has sailed.

"As are IQs."
I'm gonna need a source on that one, man. IQ is not a good metric for mental ability, and the vast majority of people have never had an IQ test besides so the statistics are likely skewed. Moreover, 100 IQ is defined as the average person's IQ so, if the numbers are shifting, it may be because people are getting smarter, not dumber.

But they're not. Standard of living is stagnant and IQs are rising. It's criminal that the standard if living but that's how it works rn.

Maybe we should talk about the 00s first.
As for the 10s, probably 5E and PbtA.

This!

idk, sounds pretty accurate.

>"As it stands now, anyone who lives for the next thirty years is likely to live for the next thousand.
Oh god, im not even thirty and im getting fed up with existing

I actually think Niel Stephenson got pretty close with the diamond age

>Currency is worthless
>Half the population are jobless, hopeless plebs without a tribe, living off of basic
>Fabulous tech, but plebs still die from easily preventable respiratory diseases
>Extreme racial and cultural separation
>Among the horror there is real beauty and Earth Shattering technology
>Hope for those smart enough to adapt to the new economy

lies, damned lies and statistics

>Moreover, 100 IQ is defined as the average person's IQ so, if
Not really.

Weaponized autism and Russian airstrikes called in via twitter.

You can't do it with cyberpunk because that's not the genre that fits the mood of the 2010's.

You would need a setting where advancements or discoveries are made that allow the world's population to spill and spread out rather than being dense like a cyberpunk universe. People don't dream of neon under a dark night this decade, they want a cleaner or else more rustic aesthetic.

You want a studio ghibli scifi setting mixed with simplistic and practical shapes and designs for tech. But then you need that contrasted by a decaying "modern" world such as was present in the 90's.

Say humanity found a way of traveling to parallel earths where humans didn't exist and also throw in an anti-gravity breakthrough for the fun of it. So you have untapped worlds that are wild and green and ripe for expansion, cleaner brighter cities, upper middle class striking out to make simple self-sustainable cottages in the wilds or nomads in the skies, but still close enough to the new sparkling cities after a pleasant flight in their sleek white (fully electric) sky car. Detached from the modern world and more in touch with nature. But still with internet access.

The cities themselves are dense, clean, futuristic, but in some ways feel cheaply built and overly simple in their design. But they're surrounded by lush green and uptapped worlds which only need so much industrial farming to sustain the cities themselves, and their perfect and green world filled with the latest high tech devices available to everyone is all made possible by imported raw materials and manufacturers based in...

The old earth they left.Where the economy has collapsed, populations are either shrinking from people leaving, or too dense. Here you have the decaying cyberpunk cities and the ramifications of a century of industry and pollution. Some cities are dense smog filled nightmares and others are old, empty, decaying. Empty, silent factories. The only industry the new worlds take are automated.

yes it is
by definition 100 IQ is set to the median in an ordered list of intelligence.
You make the list of test results, order them, take the median (the person which divides the list into two equal parts, the ones above him and below him) and then set that person as IQ 100 and the rest so that the values fit a bell curve

You couldn't more smug newliberal packed into a tweet if you tried, my god. It's the barrage of labels that really sells it.

Yeah, sure. Far left postmodernism is the spirit of the 2010s and not ultranationlist authoritarianism. Of course it is.

How about actually taking a look at how the world has changed since 2007, kids.

same with the oni thread and any thread asking a stupid question while posting anime catgirls

Utopia isn't exactly the mindset of the day.

Even the progressives have lost faith after Trump's election.

As someone who grew up in the nineties this seems pretty spot on. Some combination of Wall-E and the Giver but updated to current day gentrification instead of the 50s version if it.

Yeah but we're not exactly in the early years of the decade are we? We're talking about the 2010's as a whole, and I'm telling you how it looks and feels through most of it, but people like are right in some ways, the utopia is an empty plastic shell that will break all too easily. It can't be sustained for long and it will all fall apart. Something else will be reborn from it all, but everyone will be set back further than they started, or most everyone. Not the rich.

They don't look at the world outside their own bubbles. They only see the more crazy parts that manage to pierce it.

It's like if you had people living in a cave because they didn't agree with the world outside. Then due to unusual events outside members of a cult lost in the woods discover the cave, and their insane words just reaffirm the assumptions of those living in the cave that the outside world is insane, and all the sane people live in caves like them. They then build up an entirely new view of the world outside based on the words and actions of that cult. They maintain these beliefs years after the cult is gone.

Years from now they'll still be talking like the cult is both relevant and in control, when it has been so long since it faded that most outside forgot it, and there are too few still in it to matter.

>current day gentrification
back
to
reddit
with
you

I'm not sure you know what that words means.

You mean SIGMATA?

What do you mean?

50s gentrification was demolishing low income housing in order to replace it with a modest ranch-style house with a green grass front yard surrounded by a picket fence. Inside your wife spent all day cooking and cleaning the plastic coated furniture while raising 2.5 children and a dog, and you would out on a suit to work at some nebulous job that involved suspenders
Today gentrification is moving into low income housing because it's hip, increasing demand to the point that it becomes unaffordable to the people it was originally meant for while you start up a bunch of vague businesses involving health food and networking with each store being a vacuous chamber full of minimalist white furniture and one table. You spend all your time hanging out taking about how your generation is gonna fix everything and monopolize touchscreens instead of radios and wholesome television.
But you wouldn't have expected me to say that. You just got triggered and needed to virtue signal about being anonymous you fucking newfag.

The spirit of the 2010s is the opposition between the two. It's a spirit of extremism, you can only be a postmodern leftist or a far right nationalist. There are no good options, only a terrible option that is at least different to the status quo.

This is a decade full of people who believe that their way is the right way and everyone else is out to get them.

Why do hipsters drink pabst blue ribbon? I thought it was supposed to be for white trash in trouble. Is is why? Because is "rustic" and "quirky"?

>Today gentrification is moving into low income housing because it's hip
This isn't quite accurate. Low income housing has strict requirements to enter, but almost none of it audits its residents, and many of the ones that do deliberately keep the now rich residents around as "examples." There are people making 6 digits and driving 3+ luxury cars that live in three room apartments where the rent is $150/month because their parents moved in there and made less than 12 grand a year between them.

I'm not trying to sound like a dick, but thanks to the internet...we'll really never have a new spontaneous cultural trend just happen organically that grows for a few years and becomes a phenomenon locally and then spreads.

We have near instant communication now and at best you can legitimately be indie or alternative for a year before you are part of the mainstream.

Everything is locked in the1980's and 1990's and it's 2018.