I seldom see plant-based monsters. It's easy to understand, though...

I seldom see plant-based monsters. It's easy to understand, though. Plants don't run after you neither do they spit fire r-right?

Anyways, post plant monsters and tell us about your green, unfriendly leafy guys.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hura_crepitans
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

>neither do they spit fire
Not quite spitting fire but
>en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hura_crepitans
>The fruit is a large capsule with explosive dehiscence; seeds can be launched at 70 metres per second (160 mph). One source states that ripe capsules catapult their seeds as far as 100 metres (330 ft). Another source states that seeds are thrown as far as 45 metres (148 ft) from a tree, with a mode of about 30 metres (98 ft).

too prone to musicals

This pic looks like it's straight from /d/

Alright, that's a neat idea. Gotta put that in my game asap.

>I seldom see plant-based monsters

Huh, really? The last arc of my campaign involved my players taking down the Garden, a faction of vegepygmies and shambling mounds and that kind of stuff led by a fey supremacist trying to subjugate the city by breeding new strains of submission-inducing recreational drugs. I thought that kind of thing was pretty common.

You don't see them, because they're too terrifying for most players.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dendrocnide_moroides

You sure? I don't see dick neither on the woman nor on the plant.

>Contact with the leaves or twigs causes the hollow, silica-tipped hairs to penetrate the skin. The hairs cause an extremely painful stinging sensation that can last anywhere from days to years, and the injured area becomes covered with small, red spots joining together to form a red, swollen welt. The sting is infamously agonizing. Ernie Rider, who was slapped in the face and torso with the foliage in 1963, said "For two or three days the pain was almost unbearable; I couldn’t work or sleep, then it was pretty bad pain for another fortnight or so. The stinging persisted for two years and recurred every time I had a cold shower. ... There's nothing to rival it; it's ten times worse than anything else."[9] However, the sting does not stop several small marsupial species, including the red-legged pademelon, insects and birds from eating the leaves.[6]
Damn nature. You scary.

Because they all get statted as monsters when they should be terrain features.

Stationary monsters aren't generally engaging.

the predominant status effect/ really frightening attack for plants are poison, and poison is boring. Fire, ice, electricity, etc. is adaptable and to an extent can be influenced by the player's actions, while most of the time poison is either plot-level-occurrence or a healing spell/alchemist away from being cured.

A lot less fun. pic entirely unrelated.

I prefer the original ending, Seymour.

>The fruit is edible if the stinging hairs that cover it are removed.
Who the fuck discovered that?

Someone who was extremely, desperately hungry, I bet.

Ents are trees. Trees don't walk. Make your living trees walk. Done.

I've made up lots of plant monsters actually, 'cause players tend to ignore the flora I describe. Surrounding a witch's hut were some tall sunflowers with corn-like leaves. If they players come within 10 feet of them, the sunflower monsters attack with slashing leaves and sleep spores. Basically a trap the witch set to protect herself, also an alarm system

plant is def jizzing tho

This thread is growing on me

As an alternative to "making the plants move", you could also bring in the fungi aspect of having a connected network covering a large area.

You manage to escape or avoid a lethal plant, only to find it's a fungus and you are in the middle of a huge area of it just under the surface.

They are very frienly, if you catch my drigft.

>fungi
>plants
Back to school with you.

they are not fungi though

Well, no, they're walking, talking creatures.

But they're biologically similar to fungi, not plants. They grow from spores, not seeds.

Ahem.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fern
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moss

>nature evolved IED fruit and hairs that give you an itch years later

>nature didn't evolve lewd aphrodisiac plants

Mother

Fucking

Triffids

Last adventure I wrote had four kinds of plant creatures.

Crawlers: giant tangles of roots around a larger, thicker central body. They burrow in search of any matter they can digest. Slow, but very tough. They're not exactly hostile, but always hungry; will crush living beings into a pulp and feed by absorbing their fluids.

Lashes

Archers: giant flowers, they can grow as large as a wagon wheel. Their central part is full of holes from which they shoot arrow-like spines. When they run out of spines, they close their petals into a conical, serrated shape and attack by stetching their stalk to strike nearby creatures like a snake.

Lashes: long vines that grow in large "webs", covering ceiling and walls. Each vine stays coiled until something approaches. They have white flowers with featherlike petals that they use to sense movement, like a cat's whiskers. When they sense movement, the Lashes uncoil, whipping whatever approaches them. The flower, besides being a sensor, is also acidic, so the whipping can result in serious burns.

Chalices: large bulging structures, each similar to a large vase with a wide mouth, thin neck and an even wider bottom. Inside the chalices is a tempting, sweeting-smelling nectar that compels creatures to approach and drink of it. When someone leans or reaches into the chalice, it will open its mouth to swallow the creature whole. The creature then is slowly digested, it can take days for the Chalice to completely digest its prey; but because it's immersed in the thick, sticky nectar, it can die very quickly of asphyxiation.

Mmm yes plant mons. Actually probably gonna throw my acolytes against a plant worshipping cult in the near future. Racking my brain for good combat encounters that involve plant hybrid mutants though.

I should say that the greatest signs of devotion involve hacking off limbs and goop scooping organs to be replaced with the branches and reproductive organs of the plant species.

I want the sap/fruit juice/pod slime to be useable as some sort of fuel so that there's an end goal and the players can prove the planet useful instead of getting the nuke blah blah blah

Long burning or explosive syrup seems kinda basic though, and a kinda weak superpower for all these cultists to be that devoted.