D&D is just advanced ludo and not a role-playing game

>D&D is just advanced ludo and not a role-playing game
Is he right?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludo_(board_game)
youtube.com/watch?v=NGk-kNNlgzA
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Yeah sure why not, he's allowed his opinion.

It's really not like attaching a different label actually changes the games involved, so sure, why not.

The way most people play D&D is closer to a dungeon crawler board game with tiny RPG elements. But with a good DM you can totally play it as a real RPG.

>Is he right?
Depends on what the fuck ludo is.

Depends on the people playing it thou, so from his point of view, probably.

Do you remember when he was complaining that 4e was terrible because the classes were distinct from one another? He wanted his rogue character to pretend to be a wizard, but he was given away by the fact that he had rogue powers and couldn't, you know, cast spells. That has to be one of the most retarded reasons in history to dislike an RPG. It's not that the things he criticizes are perfect or anything. It's that he almost invariably overlooks legitimate flaws in order to complain about petty or stupid shit.

>That has to be one of the most retarded reasons in history to dislike an RPG.
Tell that to the entire 3.pf community.

It's Lindybeige. It's safest to assume he is wrong unless proven otherwise from a reputable source.

>Why are there turns in a rpg??! why should I have to wait for the enemy to perform his actions?
Because if not it would become a 5 hours long episode of Bleach

reminder that Lindybeige claims:

>English won the hundred years' war
>napoleon was hitler
>market garden was a sucess
>british ww2 tanks were superior
>brodie helmets were superior
>English accents are superior
>English is the best language
>Normans weren't French
>imperial system is better
>dunkirk was a british victory
>british officers don't duck
>the bren gun was like a full auto sniper rifle
>boer concentration camps were refugee camps

>advanced ludo
I have no idea what this means. So it probably depends on the DM.

>>imperial system is better
Has he ever made a video about that?
I only saw some of his comments about that. Wasn't sure if it was bantz or if he was actually serious.

Haven't seen a good case against it, other than people who think the metric system came up with base10, and you can make plenty of arguments for other bases.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ludo_(board_game)

>Normans weren't French
They were not.

Looks like you never played a good system with a competent GM. Hell, you don't even need a system. Few dice are enough.

I think it's a really fucking strong argument in the favor of base10 that we (as in, average people) usually tend to count in base10.

Almost half of this is true.

Lindy is always right.

>Tell that to the entire 3.pf community.
Honestly, one of their prevalent complaints is that the classes are too samey, which is the complete opposite of what he's bitching about.

There is literally zero argument for Imperial System anymore Save for using miles if your country used to use miles

t. Britbong

Culturally and linguistically, they pretty quickly assimilated themselves.

>>English won the hundred years' war
Kinda true

>>napoleon was hitler
He kinda was, they both sought to dominate Europe through military means.

>>market garden was a sucess
To an extent

>>british ww2 tanks were superior
They were, German tanks constantly broke down and their main guns wheren't strong enough to destroy most allied tanks.

>>brodie helmets were superior
They are.

>>English accents are superior
Over American? Yeah, way superior.

>>English is the best language
It is, on an objective level even. English has the most words/concepts of any language. Trying to translate words such as arrow, bolt, dart all translate into "pil" in Swedish (Swede btw).

>>Normans weren't French
But they aren't.

>>imperial system is better
I have to admit that it is superior in quite a lot of applications. One thing I love with it is that the base values aren't ridiculously small. Nobody uses a gram in a casual context and we have to multiply it by a thousand (to kg) in order to use it. That's an inherent flaw in the system.

>>dunkirk was a british victory
They saved all their troops.

>>british officers don't duck
I haven't seen that video so I can't comment.

>>the bren gun was like a full auto sniper rifle
He stated that the bren gun was more accurate than the german counterpart, which is correct.

>>boer concentration camps were refugee camps
And? If the civilian population attacks you you have to have some form of control over them.

Fuck off, we didn't have this shit for almost 5 months now.

>the first role-playing game is not a role-playing game
That's John Wick-level of idiocy (the game designer, not that character).

No, that's just your average Lindy getting free clicks.
He literally lives from clickbait.

...like Matt Easton

>Nobody uses a gram in a casual context
It is at this point that I realise I know far too many drug users and dealers...

Britbong here.

Market Garden and Dunkirk were not victories.

They were successful Military maneuvers but not victories.

Especially Market Garden, because the goal was to cross the Rhine.

He's 100% right that true RPG game doesn't need s super complicated system with 500 spells and 200 feats.

If you know your GM and know he's good at it you don't even need a system at all. GM knows your character and what he's capable of so he can give a % chance of succeeding any task given in a game.

Real RPG players are more interested in role playing and living the adventure not throwing dice to do a lot of damage and spend 5 hours walking around a dungeon killing things.

Hi Amerifat
Bye Amerifat

>English has the most words/concepts of any language.
German is more nuanced. And so is probably Japanese.

Just compared #words in a bunch of dictionaries and English was on the 9th spot.
Japanese, Korean, Lithuanian, German, Icelandic, Korean, Dutch, Swedish all have more apparently.

Such as a 100g bar of chocolate?
Anyway, rest of your crap dismissed.

>It's e-celeb of the month thread
And from all people you had to pick lindysperg

German tanks and equipment in general are the most overrated shit ever.

Read what French thought about Panthers they used for many years after the war. Or what Luftwaffe aces thought about Bf109 compared to western planes.

I liked his cyclops video.

In a lot of systems where they note how kong a round is, people often fail to grasp that the whole thing is basically happening over 5 seconds and that initiative is really about who acts first in what split moment.

...how could he not do it? I mean, you are a rogue and if you are deception-heavy you are likely a Dex/Cha Rogue. You could totally bullshit magic powers. I mean...Warlocks, Sorcerers AND Swordmages all have pretty melee happy builds and there is a very low level item that gives you wizard cantrips (Hedge Wizard's Gloves).

You also have, of all the strikers save maybe the Warlock, some of the biggest ability to fuck with people in the form of status effects. Portray your dirty trick blinding a guy as using flash paper and playing it off as a spell...jesus man, have some crea-fucking-tivity.

No, real roleplayers embrace every part of the hobby. Muh-story, narrative roleplayers are human scum.

>Read what French thought

>Japanese
>More concepts

Japanese has so many English Loanwords it's hilarious.

It's the same as Sorry!

So if somebody moves minimally faster the other guy stands there like a log taking the hit then uses his action?

Turn system is indeed retarded.

>One thing I love with it is that the base values aren't ridiculously small. Nobody uses a gram in a casual context and we have to multiply it by a thousand (to kg) in order to use it. That's an inherent flaw in the system.

I use grams all the time.

English is literally Loanword: The Language, so what's the saying? The one with kettles and pots

So your mom is still doing groceries for you? Nice to know.

Japanese is literally "Bad Chinese and English" the Language though.

I think my Chinese friend said it best though: Chinese has alot of words, but you can say fuck all.

If RPG "elements" of your game are talking to a quest giver in a tavern then crawling a dungeon for 4h why not just play a board game then?

It's not like all people play D&D but shitloads of them do exactly that.

Tangent, but Chinese has some loanwords that don't even make sense.

Like the way I learned to say brown was basically "coffee coloured".
And Coffee is a loanword from english said "Ka Fei".
Found that very confusing at first, like they didn't have a way to express brown before europeans came and told them about coffee.

Later learned that they had another different word for brown though.

>I don't know Japanese or Chinese: The Post
I think I myself put it the best

Nobody stands there like a log. That shit is what AC (not counting armor) is for. Think about all of the things that happen in a round, then play the whole thing out as people doing the things at the same time, but turn order just determines the order that the actions start happening in.

Spoken japanese is much better than spoken chinese. Both writing systems are outdated as fuck but nips at least have a real alphabet in addition to kanji crap.

>"coffee coloured".
>they didn't have a way to express brown
>had another different word

Are you retarded or just colour-blind? How the FUCK one assumes that "coffee" is default way of expressing "brown", when there is FUCKING BROWN ALREADY, you bloody imbecile!

I liked 4e doing a lot more with Reactions on that front.

>>>napoleon was hitler
>He kinda was, they both sought to dominate Europe through military means.

Minus the genocides and stuff, but that's not important. That's clearly not the thing that comes to mind when people get compared to Hitler. right guys ?

Pretty sure that's absolutely wrong.

>They saved all their troops.
Not the worst possible outcome != victory

but then again, Britbongs rewriting history out of arrogance is nothing new.

When you have entire words for specific concepts, that is not a nuanced or complex language.

You can write a sentence in English to mean the exact same thing, but using entirely different words.

You can't do that in Japanese. Like you literally cannot. the Open-ness of the language confuses Japanese students.

Because he was told that when he asked what brown is you fucking retard, try reading his post.

>stands there like a log
What is dodge AC? And also the fact that a square is five feet. Just because the piece on the board doesn’t move doesn’t mean you aren’t trying to avoid being hit.

Chinks would have to, entirely scrapping characters outside Taiwan....
... and then the great Sino-Soviet friendship ended, so they've kept pinyin as a phonetic system

That's not how it works in D&D though. Turns are just too long and you can do far too much when other people are standing there doing shit. GURPS does it much better but has too much mechanical crap clogging it. GM deciding how things flow and everyone adapting real time is 10x better than some turn video game bullshit.

>Whiteknighting for a retard

Being able to react to things is a nice kind of mechanic in games. The only potential downside is when there are so many that it slows down gameplay.

>How the FUCK one assumes that "coffee" is default way of expressing "brown"
I was studying chinese with teachers from china and the only word they gave me for brown that I had to learn was "Ka Fei Se".
I had to ask if they had another one because it didn't make sense to me.

Your Chinese Chinese teachers are shit at their own language then.

Play Tenra Bansho Zero if you want simultaneous actions in a rules light system. When you roll to attack, you've actually only rolled to engage, and if your opponent rolls higher he wins the exchange and damages you.

>Doubles down on the stupidity after being shown he's a retard.

Try reading something sometime you fucking inbred.

But that is how it works in DnD. You’re just interpreting it wrong. The length of a round of combat is defined in the core rules, and you’re basically treating the board too literally instead of imagining the mechanics of gameplay as what they represent.

Considering Chinese is one of the most convoluted and messy languages ever invented full of stupid meanings exactly as shown, it makes sense.

The issue that makes English often complex is it's contradictory nature of being both a very open language and a very closed language.

I mean Chinese has no concept of a Thesaurus.

Bad Linguistics: the Post

youtube.com/watch?v=NGk-kNNlgzA

>ou can write a sentence in English to mean the exact same thing, but using entirely different words.
>You can't do that in Japanese

And you can do it even better in French than in English. Japanese, on the other hand, does other things better than English, the question of which is better is a bit too complex to be covered in 3 sentences. But English isn't ranked 1st in any category, be it vocabulary, open-ness, or whatever. It's a perfectly fine language, but trying to prove that it's "objectively" the best language is retarded.

Chinese is bad linguistics: The language though.

Yeah, I think 4e mostly kept it to a decent level. Most PCs would have a reaction or two (Arcane and Divine classes got very few of them outside the swordmage and paladin, who like most defenders fell under 'Loadsareactions') but you wouldn't have a heap of them going off in the same round. So you got the feel of 'I've got a trick I can pull out to interupt someone' without it being a constant thing.

One of the monk ones, Water Gives Way was my favourite there. Immediate Interrupt (So it happens before the triggering action, rather than Immediate Reactions which happen afterwards) where you judo throw the guy a good distance away from you and knock him prone. Unless he's a titan who can reach like 20ft, that attack is wasted now and it gets a massive boost in both accuracy and damage if the attack you used it against was a charge.

It's bloat the language.

The point is English does Vocabulary, Open-ness and tenses better than all other languages.

It's easier to present what you are trying to express in english.

Case in point: French has Masculine and Feminine nouns, Which is literally retarded.

its like diarrhoea, but in text format

My first instinct is to assume that you're trolling by
knowingly saying absolutely retarded things, but then again, this is a topic where people actually believe a lot of really dense shit that sounds exactly like what you just said.

But the only uneducated piece of trash around is you, nobody else. It's you making bold claims, while knowing shit and it's you defending (probably your own) stupidity.

Also, what does this thread even has to do with Veeky Forums? Not only it's e-celeb bullshit, but utterly unrelated with any forms of hobby bullshit.

You should see Latin. It also has a neuter gender.

>advanced ludo
What did he mean by this?

>English
>Tenses
>better than all other languages
user, how many tenses are there in English? 16? 17?
My language has three - past, present, future.

People taking actions one after another is bullshit.

What if 3 warriors decide to attack an ogre with spears at the same time? What if two guys try to tackle an orc at the same time?

AoE spells make those issues even worse. People stand there doing nothing before their action while a wizard is casting a fireball at them.

And what Language is that?

>One of few languages that makes perfect sense as an algorythm
>Bad linguistics
2/10, made me reply

URealms is going through this right now.

Normally you get three Anytime actions per combat, plus Limited abilities can be used at any time once per combat for free.

The plan in the future is to make all actions you can do at any time be once per combat and just skip keeping track of a number of Anytimes.

>Makes sense as an algorthim

Nigga it barely makes sense as a language.

That's solely because they also teach eristics during high school in my country, so nobody falls for "here, give me name, so I can throw shit on it, in the assumption the audience is unfamiliar with it".
Not gonna happen.

A game where you roll dice to advance your characters on a board.

They have a syllabary not an alphabet, well they have two because stupidity. Better than a logography but still not quite at the level of every phoneme having a symbol.

>The point is English does Vocabulary, Open-ness and tenses better than all other languages.

But that's wrong
German has a bigger vocabulary
French does open-ness better (assume open-ness is the number of ways to say something as you (supposedly) seemed to establish earlier.
as for tenses you'll have to be more specific as to why English does them "better", but a lot of languages have either a lot more or a lot less tenses.
It's easier to present what you are trying to express in english.

For you you colossal faggot, because you're a native English speaker who can't start to grasp the fact that he might be biased in this discussion and didn't bother to learn anything about the rest of the world outside of Veeky Forums.
You're literally what's wrong with the world

>Case in point: French has Masculine and Feminine nouns, Which is literally retarded.

nice argument

Thanks for confirming you are baiting.

Would dwarves have an obvious loanword for things like computer like "Kumputar" after humans invent them, while elves would insist on making up their own word for computer within their own language that roughly translate to "Chest Pixie"

Most languages have gramatical gender. Saves a lot of misunderstandings, makes things more precise.
It's easier to present what you are trying to express in your native language.
Also, nice reddit spacing

And yet we use English as the international Language because it's the perfect middle ground Between Redundant half-retarded German and Bloated French.

>Makes things more precise

How does gendering buildings make them more precise.

German doesn't have a bigger vocabulary, they just have the word 'compoundword' as well as the words 'compound' and 'word' to artificially inflate the word count.

>Doing things at the same time
You mean coordinating your attacks together? They don’t have to be literally simultaneous, but if you insist, you could have people hold action until they’re all ready to go and then they all strike basically within the same couple of seconds.

Also, what, you expect people to have unlimited motion and gidlike reflexes? If you want to dodge incoming spells, the spell is either going to happen too fast or- oh, look, you make a reflex save as is appropriate depending on the situation. Spells that are easier to dodge also come in the form of touch and ranged touch attacks, which are set against your stats involving avoiding being hit.

>artificially inflate

>English does Vocabulary, Open-ness and tenses better than all other languages
You can't measure any of this.

>It's easier to present what you are trying to express in english.
No. All natural languages are equally expressive and capable of communicating ideas. Whatever one does "simpler" or with fewer words than another is compensated for with more complexities and irregularities in another area.

>French has Masculine and Feminine nouns
Gendered nouns helps distinguishing two different nouns in complex sentences and also adds redundancy in the speech which further helps communicate what you're saying -- even if the person you're talking to misses an important word, noun genders is one element that can help him to still get what you're saying.

I've never seen him express a thought about roleplaying games that wasn't laughably awful.