Red Shirts

What universe treats it's soldiers the worst? I nominate Warhammer 40K, even the Clones of Star Wars are valued more than the Guard in their universe...

*NOTE:Art by 40kwarlord

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=jtNrx1c3Xh8
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Geste_(1939_film)
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Starship Troopers, that movie had some fucked treatment of soldiers.

Hmmm, how about our universe, the Japanese Empire in World War 2 let it's soldiers starve, die from disease and all sorts of horrible shit, ordering them not to retreat and kill themselves rather than surrender.

Could be worse, they could be Russian soldiets

>Our universe
>Worse than 40k's treatment of soldiers

Or German soldiers in Berlin or Satlingrad

youtube.com/watch?v=jtNrx1c3Xh8

There is no worse universe to be a soldier in than 40K

Mobile Infantry at least has better retirement, healthcare, and post-military benefits than the Imperial Guard.

this comic really fucking creeps me out

Point taken.

>Orks
>Lots of enemies on a wall
>Not wanting to fight
what?

Freezing to death seems terrible when you think about it. But once it actually comes, you only feel cold at first, then you start losing sensation in limbs and really just feel tired and comfy because you're not feeling the cold anymore, or anything else rally, and you just want to peacefully drowse off...

Waste of Las guns

That's just stupid, the better tactic would have been to make it look as little troops has possible while still being deadly.

At least in Starship Troopers you eventually can retire (assuming you don't die)

In 40K you literally just fight until you die and then they'll probably use your bones to make a sweet servitor or something

I feel like this could have been easily remedied by having the soldiers stand in shifts and give the illusion of having more men, or making a few fire pits next to the walls to keep warm.

But the IG aren't exactly know for their problem solving skills.

>a commissar who don't immediately blam a guardsman
That's a rarity.

I thought they just froze the dead and set them up as scare crows.

ikr

Getting shot by some git at long-range before you can put a choppa in him ain't fightin'.

I think those were two separate solutions. Burn shit to keep people warm and have the guards work shifts to keep up the illusion of numbers.

'Zackly!

IG don't have it so bad, with every crippling defeat to Chaos comes a curbstomping victory against rebels with minimal casualties.

The movies were a piece of shit that made a mockery of the book. In the book the Mobile Infantry were basically an army of Crisis Suits with nukes.

>not understanding satire this hard

It's a reference to the film Beau Geste I assume.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beau_Geste_(1939_film)

I did not know that, thanks man.

>made a mockery of the book

That's my favorite part.

The imperial guard are valued, wasting lives is grounds for execution for a commander.

The imperium is just in such a bad spot that sending thousands of valuable troops into the meat grinder is at times necessary.

The imperial guard can retire, typically the initial colonists of a newly taken world are the newly retired surviving gaurdsmen who fought in the preceding war.

>*NOTE:Art by 40kwarlord
fuck off

Isn't the whole thing with the First and Only trying to get credit for taking a world so they can have a home again?

What? Can't give credit to the guy/girl that made it?

It is Warhammer 40K, no question about it, however, i'd say the most fucked up regiment out of all is the Death Korps in a contest of "you're basically tissue paper"

Also, dem World War 1 vibes

>you're basically tissue paper
Makes sense, because they wipe shit off the map.

DKoK aren't even good at dying, millions more soldiers were killed during ww2 than Vraks, lmao.

>guy/girl
fuck off twice then, newvag.

tell ya what, the Savlar Chem Dogs is one of those regiments i'm actually fucking scared of being in...

Yeah, but I think it's a well-known fact by now that literally no Games Workshop writer has ever fucking done a lick of research on real-world numbers.

You can tell by just having a glance at the specs of your average Leman Russ tanks... I mean our modern tanks can chew them up and spit them out

Is there an Imperial Guard regiment that has a US military WW2 aesthetic?

In Veeky Forums you can do whatever you want.

Commissar Holt?

Which could have been avoided even without any knowledge on anything by using bullshit units.

Cadians come the closest I think

hmmm... Good question... I mean i don't think the US military was distinct or interesting enough to have a regiment dedicated to their shtick

Yeah cadians do have some similar tactics and shit... For example the sherman tanks are pretty close to the leman russ in terms of usage

No.

>I mean i don't think the US military was distinct or interesting enough to have a regiment dedicated to their shtick
Unless you count the Airborne divisions, in which case you get the Elysian Drop Troopers and the Harakoni Warhawks, though I'm not sure if they're specifically WW2 American in any way and not just "people who jump out of dropships in-flight"

>made a mockery of the book.
That's the point.

Armaggedon has the 'a tank for every infantry squad' part of WW2 American doctrine down, and I'm pretty sure the Warhawks are supposed to be elite paratroopers, the most famous being American despite not having a monopoly on that

The Combine

Where are my eyebrows

Well, World War 2 is an apocalypse type of war... It makes WW1 look tame in comparison, I mean the amount of crazy shit that happened and would have happened if the war hadn't ended when it did... in just these 6-7 too. And the Death korps took them what, 17 fucking years?

Sometimes reality is crazier than fiction, user

Given that there were about six of them left actually alive, I don't think the situation called for a blamming.

IBO Human Debris

Look at this way. With the Imperial Guard you can die with a sense of dignity for an godlike entity thanks to all the propagand instill into you.

Human Debris? Slave children seperated to genders so they dont breed and be a waste of food, given combat implants with high failure rates so they can pilot combat vehicles like regular adults. No escape, no surrender, no quick painless death with an explosive blast and your very hope and optimism beaten out of you every single day.

And yet they still fight not out of a faint glimpse of hope but because you are meant to die

Absolutely, the Imperium is actually really decent if you manage to survive long enough to retire.

Thats pretty much what they've actually done on a few things, like a russ's 200mm of armour is the fictional scifi material plasteel.

Yeah, people kind of overblow the "Guard are disposable" thing without factoring in the absolute hell that is the imperium's logistics and the actual physical rammifications of bad theology. Entire regiments get lost to the warp, sent to the wrong end of the galaxy, or waylaid by random bullshit.

Once your ground forces are in position you're it. No backup for months or years even if you need it. No resupply. You're in the top ten percent of the warriors for selection. You're the best hope the imperium has outside of Astartes, and there's so few of those they couldn't even fill the island of Manhattan. When the IG pull up they're the cavalry coming in to save PDF forces, not the tissue paper to be disposed of.