Should I buy tabletop simulator?

hi Veeky Forums, i need your help with purchasing a game, I know this might not be the board to ask something like this but, you guys seem to know alot about board games, and belive me I am trying to get into board games.

but there is a huuuuge problem for me to get into them....

i have no friends.

but tabletop simulator has random people to play with!

so here is the question, since I want to play the warhammers and d&d's, should I buy this game to play them?

or should I go to /v/ for a definitive answer?

Unless you're Alabama Trailer Park Poor, just buy it and pull the trigger.

Just pirate it and play with other random people who pirated it. There's this nice russian torrent out there...

>should I go to /v/
No, not ever.
I never played with rando but it works fine for simulating board games and even miniuature games. I've never played with anything but friends though.

Tabletop Simulator is best for simple board games and okay for complex board games. I find it unnecessary for RPG's, although I've never actually tried it with wargames.

OP here.
thanks for the great comments!
source?

what's up with /v/? it can't be worse than /b/

that's actually really useful! thanks

>what's up with /v/? it can't be worse than /b/

oh you poor soul

The vast majority of /v/ is 12.
Not "obnoxious twits called 12 as an insult", actual 12.

>what's up with /v/?
For every 1 person who wants to talk about the topic, there's 50 who just want to shitpost and talk about lolis or "ironically" shit on the game.

This is pretty true. The larger, faster boards tend to get flooded with memes and shitposts. Look at /tv/ for reference.

>it can't be worse than /b/
/b/ still has a few lonely hangers-on from the old days, who remember the glories of a free, open space where you could literally talk about anything and probably find at least one person who shares that interest.

/v/ was shit to begin with and only got worse.

OP here
I was not here in Veeky Forums's glory days (to be fair i "joined" this community about 8 months ago),
but I think /s4s/ is the new golden age version of /b/

also, I decided to buy the game, thanks for all of your contributions to this post

How's TTS work?

Like, I see that there are official modules, but if I want to play Eldritch Horror by myself, would I need to buy an Eldritch Horror module? Can I make my own modules? Can I make a board game and then playtest it in Tabletop Simulator?

Oh no, don't get this for d&d or Warhammer, just use roll20. It's free, you can easily port in maps, etc. Don't even need friends, roll20 has it's own looking for players thing.

TTS is a godsend. Nearly every board game I own and have ever been interested in is in the workshop for free, it's borderline piracy. A recent patch even added scripting which most of the popular games are now modded for, it's amazing.

I've discovered so many games I normally wouldn't have bought, and slowly I've been adding them to my physical collection.

Playing online is worse than not playing at all. Get real friends.

Aight so TTS is a must buy if you like wargames or boardgames.
40k works beautifully on TTS
All mods are free, and there are so many that even weird GMT boardgames are there
It all works quite well, get someone to play some stuff with you
While I personally use roll20 for online rpgs, TTS works well too, I lean more to roll20 because not everyone has it.

If youre still on the fence, go checkout the workshop for this game

So like fa/tg/uys and D&D?

Worse. I still browse /v/ pretty often because you can actually find some pretty good vidya discussion once you learn to sift through the crap and not fall for obvious bait. But then I come back to Veeky Forums and other boards and remember that not every board makes you hit refresh eight times to find a single thread actually discussing the board's topic.

>Worse.
I doubt it. I could start a pro-Nintendo thread on /v/ and a pro-3.PF thread on Veeky Forums and get the same results in less than a week at most.

Hell, at least /v/ was smart enough to get rid of their generals before they comprised more than half the board like it is nowadays and they still bother to make OC.

Gotta find a thread actually made about a topic and not a meme/console war/contrary opinion thread.

MMO threads and VN threads are pretty good, along with older RPGs the kids that infest the board were too young to play

/b/ was never exclusively memes. If you look at /r9k/ using your incel-blocking visors it is similair to how /b/ used to be.

/b/ was never good

Is there a full version of Gloomhaven on there? Looking at the workshop I could only find odd scenarios.

>tabletop simulator
public mtg was fun until furries infested it, drove it into the ground, then everyone left started using nothing but bs turn one decks in modern and casual. I just checked back yesterday after being months away from it and mtg seems completely dead now.

that's my experience with tabletop simulator.

playing uno and trying out new games was really fun though. I might go back to just doing that.