There had to be some state that wasn't something people could just change. My solution? Beards...

>There had to be some state that wasn't something people could just change. My solution? Beards. The original card was named something like Hairy Beeble, and it had Beardwalk, which meant it couldn't be blocked by someone who had a beard. I figured that wasn't something people could easily change. Would someone somewhere shave off their beard to block? Maybe, but hey, not often, and it would make a funny story.

>Then one day, Elaine Chase (vice president of global brand strategy and marketing) played in a playtest. One of her notes was that beards were a bad thing to reference as for the most part only men could grow beards. I pointed out that having a beard was a negative thing, so it could only hurt you—meaning that not having a beard would never create a drawback in the game—but she made the strong note that it made women feel unwelcome, as it wasn't something they could interact with, even if it was only a negative thing. That was a really good point, one I was frustrated that I had missed, so I changed the card from caring about beards to caring about glasses.

>This, by the way, is an important reason why you want lots of different people playtesting your product, because it's essential to get many vantage points. Things that aren't apparent to you can be very apparent to others, and it's key that you get that insight. I would much rather realize my mistake in playtesting than after the product has shipped.

>TALKEN ABOUT BERDS MAEK PEOPLES UPSET 'CUZ DEY DON'T HAVE BEARDS CUZ DEY CUNNY!!!
I don't have a degenerate vision so I don't use glasses, I now feel excluded from mtg along the grand majority of people, whom are not born with damaged eyes and don't require glasses.

This is a legitimately good point that she made. If you had cards referencing football stuff, it would make people who weren't familiar with football feel unwelcome. I agree with the decision. It's best of all cards are capable of being fully utilized by all players.

Should've been hair that goes past your shoulder.

With Magic's demo it's equally likely for male and female players and would include beards

does hanging sunglasses on your shirt collar count as "wearing glasses"

>women can't grow beards

What kind of misogynistic shitlord would say something that ignorant?

>as for the most part

What a retard.

>most part only men could grow beards

Wow what a sexist thing to say.

>it’s a fun edition with rules that don’t take the game serious
>sjw filth naturally take it serious and have to bitch and complain until it is changed

I like how people are bitching about MUH SJWS when having a beard was a BAD thing for the original version of the card. Women would have had an inherent advantage playing Unstable.

Also most people aren't born needing glasses. There are a lot of causes for poor eyesight that can be fixed with glasses, and there's also people who have poor eyesight that don't wear glasses because they either wear contacts or had laser surgery. Or just don't wear glasses when they should.

>it’s a fun edition with rules that don’t take the game serious
>playtester says something isn't fun
>REEEEEEEEEE

>I like how people are bitching about MUH SJWS when having a beard was a BAD thing for the original version of the card. Women would have had an inherent advantage playing Unstable.

People are bitching about SJWs because every decision re: this card was an SJW decision. Quote:

>she made the strong note that it made women feel unwelcome, as it wasn't something they could interact with, even if it was only a negative thing

By that logic, doesn't it now make "people without glasses" feel unwelcome?

Nobody cares about the "people without glasses" demographic because it's not explicitly gendered.

>"glasses matter"
>no cards with 3D print
talk about missed opportunity

>Wear glasses
>Have a beard

Fuck me, right?

I am not wearing glasses, the card is not fun to me... now what?

I don't get this. Jokes like beardwalk have existed in games since forever, and this is a clever one. If someone says "Women can't interact with this rule" the response is "Yes they can, they can tease their opposition for playing a card that doesn't work on them, just like any other equal human without a beard."

If someone says "women gain an advantage with this card" the response is "So? Children also gain that same advantage."

Is Wizards of the Coast prejudiced against children...?

>I like how people are bitching about MUH SJWS when having a beard was a BAD thing for the original version of the card. Women would have had an inherent advantage playing Unstable.
That's kind of the whole reason people are bitching: It's a shining example of how utterly batshit crazy SJW logic is. This woman bitched about the card giving women an advantage, *on the grounds that it was unfair TO WOMEN*. On what fucking planet does that even begin to make rational sense?

Anyone can wear glasses, not everyone can grow a beard.

People who lack ears through injury or deformity can't wear most glasses, throw in a missing nose and they are fucked.

Imagine some horrible burn victim playing M:TG only to be fucked by this card at an event because he physically can't wear glasses.

How is this better than most women getting a pass on a card that punishes beards? Hell, many women DO have facial hair, they just find it unappealing and remove it.

I honestly wish more of these joke cards mentioned physical traits like beards, nose lengths, hats, dumb stuff like that. Un-tournaments would be filled with people wearing silly disguises. It would be great.

I don't blame SJWs for this

I blame soulless corporations trying to make a safe, bland, lowest common denominator product

This is a change that took zero effort, takes nothing of value away from the card, and will cause a very small number of people to enjoy the game just a little bit more.

Of course Veeky Forums hates it.

This is what they should have hoped to inspire. Phrase it in a way that encourages even more fun.

It's not about the change itself, it's about the toxic culture that led to the change being made in the first place.

Is there a more non-falsifiable statement than "it made [Protected Group] feel unwelcome?"

Jesus fucking Christ, you people will find literally anything to complain about, won't you? Sure, it's a stupid-ass reason to remove beardwalk, but winging and crying about The SJWs over literally every small fucking change made to your pieces of cardboard makes you all come off as a group of fucking six-year-olds afraid of getting cooties. First the art, and now this.

Grow the hell up you whining, idiotic, gaping cunts.

Hello, I have what you refer to as damaged eyes and I am not offended by your accurate assessment of my inferiority, because I am a goddamn adult.

>Sure the decisions are stupid and the art sucks, but you're all whiny children for refusing to buy our garbage.
Whatever you say, Elaine.

Jesus fucking Christ you people are so insecure.

Complain about the actual problems with Magic, like the fact that the game's been shooting itself in the foot over and over again since BFZ if not earlier in terms of actually /being fun/.

All this focusing on 'muh SJWs' is drawing focus away from the fact that the current /mechanics/ are garbage.

I think we all agree the game is bad right now for a variety of reasons, whether you want to blame the poor choices on political ideologues encouraging nepotism or a soulless corporate machine demanding sanitized pablum. If the mechanics suck and the art sucks and the card quality sucks what's left?

The game has been doing better every year, both their diversity marketing strategy and the mechanics seem to be well liked, regardless of what dumbasses on Veeky Forums seem to think about the company "shooting itself in the foot over and over again".

Stop insulting your customers, Elaine. Veeky Forums is where your customers go speak their minds.

Veeky Forums is where insecure neckbeards go to pretend they're an oppressed minority whenever they're reminded non-white, non-male, non-cis, non-straight people exist.
A story that amounts to "hey, this mechanic highlights that you don't think women play the game" has you people gnashing your teeth at ess jay doubleyus like it's the Two Minutes Hate.

Calm down, Elaine.

>Can't just buy a fake beard and wear it to handicap yourself.
I wonder what this play tester thinks of the old Unhinged card that gave you bonuses for wearing women's clothing?

Standard has been losing more and more players as time goes on, people are movong to pauper, modern or commander. This isn't good for business at all

Yeah no, if you're outraged at this change, you're a triggered MAGAfag that thinks everything should be your hugbox.I look forward to exclaim "In response" and put on shades.

Why not make both cards for beeble tribal?

Because this set is the shadow of what the former UN-sets were, and that making more than one beeble would get in the way of "muh worlbuilding wacky but not too much playtest set".

Just because I don't mind the change doesn't mean I don't think as a whole, unstable is super bland compared to Unhinged and Unglued.

>do I wear the swirly goggles and investigator cap combo for my m'lady deck, or go capless in case my opponent plays a hatwalk card?

>grow the hell up
Oh shit son! You gonna tell me I'm fun at parties, I get lots of women like that? Or maybe you'll tell me to man up? How fucking ugly are you lmao

>not just going with denimwalk
Why

It would have been as easy as swapping the clause to be unblockable to people who WEREN'T wearing glasses as it was cast.
And then you do similar things that trigger off of other clothing (hats, shorts, ascots, etc). Have one that gives a bonus of the opponent doesn't have an eye patch. Do you tech against the glasses? The eye patch? Or do you go for the sick "myopic pirate" look to cover your bases?
Fuck, now I'm actually upset.

That sounds like such a good time. Goddamn. Take some risks wotc.

Agreed. Veeky Forums spergs out over the most basic human decency.

so instead to be politically correct they made a card that is only effective against the the visually impaired and out right makes fun of them

Oh Tumblr. look what this ablist asshole did

nows the chance Veeky Forums throw them to the dogs, let wotc get a taste of their own medicine as the SJW menace cannibalizes them you could save all things Veeky Forums just by letting pointing the SJWs in the right direction

Hurloon Wrangler was a fun idea, but the problem was it wasnt very hard dor peo0le, if they were serious about it, to take off their pants, which is not something wizards wanted to feel like they were encouraging. So they made a card that captured the fun part of wrangler with less removal of pants

More men than women wear jeans. Sexist.

>Then one day, Elaine Chase (vice president of global brand strategy and marketing) played in a playtest. One of her notes was that beards were a bad thing to reference as for the most part only men could grow beards. I pointed out that having a beard was a negative thing, so it could only hurt you—meaning that not having a beard would never create a drawback in the game—but she made the strong note that it made women feel unwelcome, as it wasn't something they could interact with, even if it was only a negative thing. That was a really good point, one I was frustrated that I had missed, so I changed the card from caring about beards to caring about glasses.

How petty and insecure are american women that a reference to a beard makes them feel unwelcome?

That's the thing. Take a survey of female mtg players and like 5% might have any issue with beardwalk. That's 5% of 10% of players affecting design decisions. That's the problem. Not oh no swj ruined it, but Hasbro catering to tiny demographics just for the optics of it.

It's how liberal-leaning people operate.

The problem with the Democratic party every election is that they had a separate platform for each demographic and minority. They had a different message for each group designed specifically for them. The Republican party on the other hand had a single message for all Americans. And it's strange how that works out because the Democrats typically are mostly about "we're all in this together" except their message was so focused on how we're so different.

The right thing to as people is to do the best thing for most people then focus on the details.

The best thing was to implement And then when the topic of whether women would feel excluded by it comes up, you ask yourself if the people who are drawn by the love of the game are repulsed by one small detail that holds so much more power than everything else that's good are worth caring about. Because they're not. They're sensitive babies. Because the liberal dream of a sanitized environment where no offense is made is a barren shit environment that is neither fun or funny.

I agree with Chase's idea that beards aren't neutral enough. However, her reasoning that it offends and excludes is the worst fucking reasoning imaginable, it's like saying that women are offended that they are NOT 100% of the population every time they walk down the street. And that women are so petty to be offended by simple biological differences between men and women.

>There had to be some state that wasn't something people could just change.

Here is a better card:

Good Boy - 1B
Creature - Rogue
Good Boy can't be blocked except by black or artifact players.
2/2

What counts as an artefact player? Does a pacemaker let you count as a cyborg and hence artefact? Do spectacles?

Better:

>Black or equipped players

This is a travesty of flavor and mechanics. Elaine Chase is an idiot, I'm not explaining why.

Bots, if you play online

I never thought I'd see the day where I would enjoy seeing nerds seething over something as insignificant as a children's card game.

Calm your tits Elaine, it's just a game

>MaRo is constantly virtue signalling over how mtg ackchually has so many female players
>his subconscious makes a mechanic on the presupposition that Magic is pretty much a male game

Watch what they do, not what they say.

you're actually at a disadvantage if you don't wear glasses when playing against the beeble

Maro described his feelings about the Unglued release event as "Oh god, what I have done" specifically because of this card.

Reaching pretty hard my guy

not even the old un-cards are safe. pic related from the rosewater's blog.

what is it about transsexuals and MTG anyway? whenever i hear about some woman or female player in magic, 90% of the time, they turn out to be a tranny. does the game attract them somehow, or does it turn men into chicks with some weird estrogen magic in the card ink?

seething over childrens games is literally the defining trait of a nerd

>Complaining about a culture being toxic
>On Veeky Forums

>feel unwelcome
fuck off with your infantile fee fee mindset

>does it turn men into chicks with some weird estrogen magic in the card ink?

it's dietary

How would we prove that at least N people in the room arent just still in the closet in terms of gender?

that's a pretty good point. how do they imagine the games to play out like that? one person going from person to person, asking each one "excuse me, what gender do you identify as?"

gender theory was a fucking mistake

What if you have to deal with one of those extremely rude "everyone is a little bit gay. I get to tell you what you are." scumbags?

do specifically magic players eat more soy than people with other hobbies? what is it about magic in particular?

Everyone eats soy. It's a protein, filler and stabilizer in so many processed products it's not even funny.

i mean, you're reaching pretty hard too if you're saying people will feel bad just because they can't have a creature become unblockable against them

Only guys really get into this game on its own merits, it is a game fundamentally about collecting things (male trait) and then a direct competitive conflict (females tend to shy from this) using some basic mathematics and mechanics (working out how things work is usually a male trait)

Women are primarily social, so they will tend get into it to be around their friends/partner, maybe they will keep going as long as they like the people around them, for them its not really about the game (its mechanics and collecting aspect) more about the social aspect

The only people who will properly stick through a mediocre social experience but will stay for enjoyment of the ACTUAL GAME MECHANICS is men... have you noticed the trannies are generally of the male to female variety? ie. they have brains that developed as males (I'm not aware of any FtM players myself)

Hence the "prevalence" of trannies, the (few) women in the hobby just leave because the actual game is boring to them and the social experience will inevitably change when people leave/new people turn up, leaving only the trannies as the face of the female gender

Pretty much this. Having a beard would have been a disadvantage and would have been funny to see the bullshittery at play. It would have been even more funny to see who would shave just in case they came against this card.

The point wasn't that it was unfair to women, but that the joke excluded them and thus made it feel like "yeah, this is a game for boys."

Man, I'm glad I don't have to deal with people constantly bitching about the stupidest shit.

Again though, does it exclude children by that logic? Women are included in that mechanism by default as being non-bearded. They ARE included.

A lot of people get off on being offended these days. It's not good.

>does it exclude children by that logic?
The game is marked 13+, user.

Maybe it's just because I, as a man, physically can't grow a beard but the idea that beardwalk tangibly would effect any woman is pretty laughable. It's just corperate bullshit happening for corperate bullshits sake and some Woke Ally HUMBLY AND BRAVELY sharing his story (making sure to put himself down during). Let's see some cards that do give advantages to beard havers, it doesn't state that is needs to be a real beard. Fake beards also have the advantage being toggle-able, essentially. You can state "fake beards count" and there. Problem solved. This proverbial unwelcome woman is now included and the joke is improved. But of course, this this is ritual public Ally maturbation everything before it must burn. How else will people know you listened and believed? It really isn't a big deal, just a bit disappointing and pathetic. I do want to see a fancy dress expansion though that gives bonuses and negates depending on what your wearing
>when this card is played pick top hats or smoking pipes
>come in with a beard/glasses deck and get your ass handed to you by a red/black anti glasses vampire teeth deck

>it wasn't something they could interact with, even if it was only a negative thing
>it wasn't something they could interact with, even if it was only a negative thing

Whelp, time to remind people that I identify as a A-10 Thunderbolt.

>it is a game fundamentally about collecting things (male trait)
i thought in the hunter/gatherer dichotomy, the gatherers were the women. and it's called magic the gathering. hmm.

>this card will never be reprinted because manlets might be triggered

>4UU for a Brown 6/14

meh

>size 14
fucking bigfoot

UU for a 6/12? Sounds reasonable.

Oh no, it costs more the older I am, not the other way around. Then meh.

This card will never get reprinted because silver border doesn't get reprinted

>she made the strong note that it made women feel unwelcome, as it wasn't something they could interact with
And I'm sure there was a huge outcry from r/redpill about SJWs ruining their card game in between fishing leftovers out of their neckbeards and lodging another piss bottle under their panniculus.

I was about to ask if you were a time traveler who will be born in 20 years.

And if so, please tell me things get better ;-;

Holy shit. When did Hasbro's designers go so far off the deep end? At least nipponese card games don't have to deal with this made by committee socjus bullcrap.

Yeah too bad they're all shit

Stuff like Wixoss is still leagues better than anything Hasbro does these days which is the sad part.

I think the fact that it's a game about demon murder and eldritch horror should exclude children, user.