/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General DnD D&D

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools is currently hosted at lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html, however it could be chopped down at any time. Get yourself a local copy below to be safe.

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck

Last time on /5eg/:

>no thread question
Fine I'll do it.

What's the class you're playing next? What kind of personality are you going to give that character?

>No thread topic

>want to play a simple, classic fantasy build like the sage wizard, the wise and cautious cleric, the tough and bold fighter, the cheerful and big hearted bard
>tfw can't stop thinking about silly class subversions and meme builds

That's what I'm trying to figure out! I have about 50 concepts cooking.

I made this whole thread while phoneposting and you fags complain that I didn't jumpstart your discussion for you?

Making a thread topic takes like 5 seconds dude, but at least we have one now so it's all jeezy.

All gold to the awesome user who's keeping 5e tools alive!

>SKT game
Generic Cleric who believes he is literally the chosen one by his deity. I'll probably play him like my friend irl who always tells people how great jesus is and how his life became better because of his friends that were brought to him by the lord almighty.

>Curse of Strahd
Generic Knight in shining armor. I'm making a list of inspiring words and things to say for my Inspiring leader feat.

If I can't complain about inconsequential things, then what's the point of coming to this board?
Speaking of, why the fuck doesn't Warlock get Chaos Bolt? God forbid I want to cast something other than Eldritch Blast.

Please help me, I'm stupid.
I followed the instructions in the readme (as shown in pic related) but it still won't work. I know that there's an online version up now, but I'd still rather have it downloaded just in case they decide to take that down too.

Just run it in firefox my man

Tempting offer, but I'd rather not have to swap browsers just to open up 5etools

If you wanted to cast something other than Eldritch Blast, why did you pick Warlock?

Check out the op.

Fair enough, in that case I can't help ya.

>Uses phone posting as an excuse for being a lazy cunt
As a fellow phone poster you're the reason memes about them exist. Not once have I had an issue making a topic when creating a thread.

Already have, I'd just rather have the option to run it offline in case it gets taken down

Aarakocra tranquility or kensei monk for a campaign that hasn't been fully fleshed out yet. She was a handmaiden or possibly nurse for some royal. She was caught having a romance with a gargoyle and was shunned to the outer edges of the kingdom. She's a paranoid hermit who hides her identity with lace veils and scarves.

Can I get some advice for the plot of a campaign? I have the setting (a world in a millennia-long ice age due to an impact winter caused by a jealous god killing another and sending them crashing planetside), and I have a minor villain/faction that wants to stop the pcs from fixing anything (Fey Queen controls a vast majority of food and agricultural resources, wants to keep the winter around to continue to make bank off of mortal reliance on fey realm goods).

I have the idea of the pcs wandering the world in search of the felled gods scattered armor, or perhaps they themselves finding out the reason the god was killed and unleashing some sort of powerful artifacts into the world?

If anyone has any advice on where this campaign could go, I'd really appreciate it!

baron of waterford
he's an authoritarian prick who micromanages even the underground crime in his city

Rolled 23 (1d24)

Gonna try to write a werebear for a podcast next year. Writing it will be easy, getting the DM to let me roleplay it will be the hard part.

Rolled 1 (1d2)

Best spells to take as Divine Soul Sorc?

Rolled 58 (1d100)

>relatively new DM
>started running my first game a few weeks
>5 sessions in, 6th coming up in a few days (run 1 session a week)
>everyone says they're having fun, getting praised for doing cool things none of the other DMs in our community have done or tried
>quickly becoming the "premiere" DM in my community
>having more fun DMing than i ever did playing
>only started DMing because all the other games i played in sucked
Feeling good, /5eg/. Feeling real good.

Mokosh it is

you forgot
>realize you're forever DM and playing is forever ruined because no one will ever DM like you do for you

unrelated question

do slavs all have slava in their names?

Blood Hunter.

Doesn't even look good, but I am hooked on the concept now after playing Bloodborne for 192 hours since I got it beginning of November. I need this so badly now.

It will probably be a CoS campaign (GM has bought the book and everything, at least) and the idea is a Dex fighter whose backstory will be formed based on "This is your life" from XGE. I want a challenge in what my character is this time, and I dont want to fall into the same type as my old vengeance Paladin was.

For those who have ran ToA, what level were your players when they entered the jungle? I feel like my players could get wrapped up in the Port for a while and I don't really do XP.

I'm gonna play High-Charisma CN Human Divination Wizard inspired by Dylan Alvarez from UNSONG (but not a terrorist, mind you). I'll refluff Divination as Narratomancy: my PC will treat everything as a story, and be the perfect character for that story that would never be able to lose. Convincing the universe that what he wants to happen should happen.

1st, they didn't bother much running around Nyanzaru. They got halfway to Camp Righteous, got into a couple of random encounters and got to level 2. And then I had to put the campaign on hold ;-(

So are you gonna tell us some of the things you're doing differently?

>Level 2
>GM has us running on the third session with no exp because "You only get exp at he end of an adventure"
>Several good milestones could have been used already, but nothing.
>Only 100 exp from level 3
FUCK.

THIS.

I dont know why some GMs are this fucking retarded, but you don't fucking keep level 3 from your players. The game literally hasn't begin until level 3.

Even worse is the fact that he keeps being surprised that a bugbear can one shot us. No fucking shit Sherlock, you are keeping us at level 2 where our average HP is between 10 and 15, the fuck did you expect?

It is even worse when you consider the fact that he switched to this after giving us exp every session at first, and then cuts it literally right as we should have hit 3. Fuck you, retard.

It's nothing impressive by Veeky Forums's standards. It's just stuff previous DMs in my community didn't do. Stuff like:
>unique voices for NPCs
>actual battle maps (we play on roll20 and in past games only did combat through theater of the mind or a blank grid with a green square to indicate grass)
>integration of character backstories into the game, giving them hints and nods to certain things relating to them
>actual dungeon crawls
Honestly just basic stuff that I felt should be a standard of any game but wasn't in any of ours.

>integration of character backstories into the game, giving them hints and nods to certain things relating to them

This is always the most important thing for a DM to do in order to make the world feel compelling, and something too many don't bother.

Have you tried talking to your DM like an adult?

Can ToA be run with three players? Especially if one of them is new?
My friend back home (currently away for college) got it as a Christmas present, but we don't have a large group anymore since everyone spread to the winds (or realized that they didn't want to play RPGs) so now it is me, him, his brother, and a good friend of ours.
His brother has not played before (to my knowledge) and I know that my friend wants to play a bard. I think the brother would like to play something simple to get used to the rules or whatever like a fighter or something, but I can also easily see him get drawn into playing a rogue like almost every one of us has done for our first characters.
I really don't wanna spoil the fun by trying to carry the campaign, but I also don't want it to just fall apart because of our own stupidity, you know? Is it possible with just three people? What should I play? I was thinking Paladin or Barbarian if he goes Rogue, but I'm not sure what to do if he goes Fighter. Maybe a Druid? Or a Cleric?

Leave, or gather the group and talk to the DM and say you're not enjoying his style.

If he's an experienced DM he's probably trying something 'new' and will take those concerns into account. If he's a newer DM he might just be shit, but it's worth a shot.

Bad GM is bad.

It goes beautifully into why some people should never houserule or homebrew. Sounds like your GM legitimately doesnt know how 5e works, and when thst is thr case, hr should never try to fiddle with any of the mechanics. He needs to understand why the base game is set up like it is, in order to fully understand how to adjust it.

Nothing wrong with awarding a bunch of exp at the end of a 5-6 session arc, just very important to make sure it doesn't hinder the party too much, and even worse, results in a dead party member becauae of the withheld exp. I have seen a GM literally get shittalked so hars he stopped showing up, after he pulled this exact stunt, and as a direct result of it, and trying to upscale encounters, he TPKd them against a threat they shouldn't have been able to deal with. He used a campaign book, so the book assumed level 5, but he had kept them at level 4 for arbitrary reasons, and that got them killed. He didn't understand just how much 1 level matters at that point in the game, and neither does your GM. Give him a warning on this, bevauae I can garantuee none of you will ever forget this if any of you die as a result of artificially being kept at a lower level.

Inquisitive Gloom Stalker. My DM usually starts us off at level 5 or higher, so I'm confident I'll be able to have some decent leeway with his backstory. I'm going to say that he was picked up as a kid by some two bit thief who wanted an apprentice/accomplice/patsy because of his keen eye, and trained to be a rogue. Then shit went wrong on a heist and he never saw his mentor again, so he just left to be innawoods and learned he was pretty great at it. I'm thinking Rogue 4/Ranger 1 to start and then only going Ranger from then on out. I'm taking expertise in Perception, Observant, and pumping the shit out of Wisdom. If I'm lucky, I'll get 30 Passive Perception before the campaign ends. Also Inquisitive will help boost insight. The plan is to dump the shit out of Charisma and be an autistic social retard who can always tell when someone's lying and never misses any subtle gestures. Can't wait to just fade away into the darkness mid-conversation with my party.

Kobold Bard or Rogue, haven't decided, but he's going to be a southern gentleman.

Kinda, if it's a name of a Slavic origin. Slavs use Greek, Roman, Germanic and Hebrew names a lot as well.

Most modern Slavic names come from ancient Slavic noble names and have two roots, usually 'Slav' is one of them.'Slava' means 'glory'; Svyatoslav is 'Holy Glory', Vseslav is 'Wholesome Glory', Borislav is 'Fighting Glory', Mstislav is 'Vengeful Glory' etc. The other common root is 'Mir' (meaning 'Peace' or 'World' depending on the context). Vladimir, for example, is 'Ruler of the World'.
Older names are usually twin-rooted as well, but have variation: old Russian name Yaropolk would mean 'Shining army', and Svyatobor is 'Holy Warrior'

I jokingly proposed to my wife to name our first son 'Yaropolk'. She likes old Slavic names and they're in fashion in Russia these days. But this one has... Chaotic Evil connotations to it, thanks to two completely crazy Great Princes in early Russian history.

Just tone it down a bit for them so they don't get blasted in the encounters

Yes, but he is one of those faggots who has watched some stream or whatever, and seen how "UNREALISTIC" it is to gain several levels during an adventure, and he doesn't want to be like *Insert whatever campaign he apparently watches but doesn't like*. That literally seems to be the reason.

>I have seen a GM literally get shittalked so hars he stopped showing up, after he pulled this exact stunt, and as a direct result of it, and trying to upscale encounters, he TPKd them against a threat they shouldn't have been able to deal with. He used a campaign book, so the book assumed level 5, but he had kept them at level 4 for arbitrary reasons, and that got them killed.
I think this guys needs actual treatment, because he sounds like a braindead faggot. How is he even remembering to breathe?

Post homebrew spells.

Guiding bolt is good to twin at lower levels.

i wanted to cast fire bolt/sacred flame

>running LMoP
>players are level 4 and havent even cleared cragmaw castle yet
>realize this whole time i wasnt dividing the xp earned among them

FUCK

make sure you closed every instance of chrome and then launched it using the shortcut with that tag in it. chrome divides itself into a million processes so check your task manager, if you've got weird extensions or tabs just hitting X on your window might not be enough

after you do that you should just be able to open any of the webpages in chrome and it should work normally, I've bookmarked the header page myself

>he doesn't want to be like *Insert whatever campaign he apparently watches but doesn't like*
Ah yes the flipside of "tryhard tries to be a voiceactor and pretend they're on Critical Role".

If you've already talked to him and this is his response, leave. Gaining levels during a game is meant to show how the characters are growing from the ridiculous shit they're surviving, it also allows DM's to use cooler monsters/encounters. Your DM is a boring faggot.

>tfw not allowed to do my southern gentleman accent in character anymore

>think this guys needs actual treatment, because he sounds like a braindead faggot. How is he even remembering to breathe?
Didn't know him much. I saw him play with his group, but I never cares enough to listen in on it. I just heard the story a lot, and it is used as a very cautionary tale at my local store.

It could be interesting putting the PCs on a journey to find a god of heat or fire to put a stop to the cold.

I'm running a scavenger hunt style uncharted-esque campaign right now so I'm biased towards location-hopping and visiting different locales, so if I was running that I'd probably throw in a revelation that that god was killed during the events that caused the cold, and then it turns into a quest to try and find relics to replicate their power or to revive them. or the god could be weakened, so the PCs need to help them regain their power.

could also come up with a mechanism, object or force that caused the cold in the first place and the goal of the PCs is to stop/destroy it. it'd be interesting to have a campaign where as you get closer to the destination things get colder and harsher, I haven't personally played or ran a campaign that ever had interesting environmental factors.

>it also allows DM's to use cooler monsters/encounters
The problem is that he DOES use cooler monsters and encounters. And he doesn't understand when we tell him that this shit isn't meant for level 2 parties. He claims "but you have more experience than a level 2 does", as if that somehow helps.

We have only been able to stay alive by cheesing as hard as possible. That's not fun. That is frustrating, and I am fully expecting us to either lose party members, or outright wipe, if he has some boss encounter we need to face at the end of this shit. So far it has only escalated, while we are for some reason kept at level 2.

>"but you have more experience than a level 2 does", as if that somehow helps
So he's fucking retarded then? Leave.

>too many don't bother.

too many 27 page manefestos about how they're actually the lost heir of the king, and a golden dragon with amnesia to boot.

>Ah yes the flipside of "tryhard tries to be a voiceactor and pretend they're on Critical Role".
The worst GMs are always the people who seem to be Veeky Forums assholes.

We had a GM throw a beholder at our party at level 3, and after we got TPKd for obvious reasons, he started saying we were bad, and that the wizard player should pick a class he knew how to play, because a beholder is easily soloable by the wizard alone, and should have been a cakewalk for the entire party.

It is just those people that cant keep their powerlevel hidden. I know you are here somewhere Gray, you gigantic faggot.

>playing with people from Veeky Forums
Ask /v/ how that works out.

>tfw my level 1s have like 1900xp because I forgot to divide

I didn't know. But when that happened just a month or so ago, I just instantly knew he had to be from here. Didn't reroll a new character. Not going to bother with retards like that.

my players also just ran into the jungle. i would wait to doll out exp, there's a lot of ground to cover in the jungle and you don't want them to hit 5 too early

>A full party containing a wizard being unable to take down a beholder at level 3
Holy shit, how fucking bad at the game are you? Do you need to be handheld and fed goblins until you hit level 5?

>Yaropolk

Wasn't expecting an answer, but fascinating stuff. Going to make it Baron Yaropolk then, I mean the dude is evil after all.

I'm not the DM

Slavic language is so fucking rad

>be a elf who's a rogue
>we start as slaves who got caught
>roll d10s to see how long we've been there
>roll a 1, so only been there for a day
>ask all the other prisoners who have been there longer if they've noticed any ways to exploit the place we are and escape
>etc
>eventually talk shit to two guards
>they take me out and beat me to 1 hp
>the fucking new guy decides to escape right fuckin there instead of waiting
>DM ends it there
>mfw realize my character is fucked and won't survive the next session

I'm playing a the son of a somewhat important noble who ran away from home to have irresponsible fun with fire magic and is a gold Dragon Sorcerer. No amnesia though. Should I be transcribing his rants about how he's the greatest Sorcerer who ever lived and totally part dragon into 27 page manifestos?

the important question is: are they enjoying it still?

What happened?

Japanese businessman Necromancer.

maybe magical savant sperg Loremaster

too much foghorn leghorn?

It amazes me how little awareness of a situation some people can have.
The amount of times my group has all but wrapped up some social encounter only to have it ruined because our token idiot has to go stick his foot in his mouth or escalates a situation to get us dragged into a fight at the worst possible time for no reason.
Constantly makes me REEEE internally.

you might as well, I'm not reading that shit

I've literally asked the DM to make the token idiot roll a wisdom check before saying/doing what he says/does. God that guy was a fucking sperg.

>The amount of times my group has all but wrapped up some social encounter only to have it ruined because our token idiot has to go stick his foot in his mouth or escalates a situation to get us dragged into a fight at the worst possible time for no reason.

Oh, those slob my noggin something fierce, but you know what's even more frustrating? When the party idiot commits some horrible atrocity on Session 1, and rather than do the sensible thing and shirk away from the crazy, the other party members see the big fat PC tattoo on the Party Idiot's forehead and decides we need to save them.

Cruel, evil, aztec-esq yuan-ti bard who plays war-drums made of huminoid bones to motivate allies by fear and sick beats. Seeks the power of a an ancient lich to further deny the death gods their dues (will most likely die horribly, looking forward to it)

Like, I was laying in the cell bleeding, he calls everyone over to talk about an escape plan to enact the next day or the day after, but then decides to do it right then a few minutes later. After the session wrapped I literally said to the guy "I'm still fucking lying on the ground basically dead" and that's when he fuckin realized it.

>After the session wrapped I literally said to the guy "I'm still fucking lying on the ground basically dead" and that's when he fuckin realized it.

Let's be honest, there's some delicious vindication that comes from being righteously outraged at an idiot fucking you over.

Am I a dumb-dumb or is there nothing in any of the Player Option section for 5etools?

I deserve to get the crap kicked out of me, but if I die in the second session, I will get so mad and I probably won't play that campaign period.

works for me
you got javascript disabled or something?

Shit, I messed up.
Just for the sake of historical accuracy: Yaropolk is a pretty ok name. There were a few decent princes with it and no BBEGs.
Evil one, weirdly, is Svyatopolk ('Holy Army'). Picrelated, Svyatopolk the Accursed, murdered a bunch of his brothers, took relatives' daughters, wives and mothers hostage, tortured them; brought in Polish mercenaries; sacked surrendered cities, minted coins with 'This is HIS silver' on them... Basically, all the stuff your Evil Fantasy Lord would do.

>but if I die in the second session, I will get so mad and I probably won't play that campaign period.

Be honest with yourself, after the kerfuffle that was Session #1, do you really see yourself having fun with the rest of the campaign, one in which you seem willing to drop the entire thing out of sheer rage at a bullshit PC death?

I don't want to try and persuade you into dropping the campaign outright, but just consider if this is company you want to keep 5 hours every week for months.

No, and it's doing the same thing on Chrome in which I'm pretty sure is a clean install.

This guy showed up once last campaign, then didn't show up, and then was here again. I don't know if he'll be here next week. Everyone else is fine, but this guy came out of nowhere.

So my friend may have just lost his character in today's session (we ended when he fell unconscious) probably because the DM was panicking and wanted a week to come up with a reason for him to survive

He sent 3 Shadows against a single PC, and positioned them so that the PC couldn't escape by blocking the sole entrance to the room. Didn't let him attempt a check to push past them or anything, just didn't give him any chance to escape.

Looking at the stats for CR 1/2 creatures, Shadows seem disproportionately powerful for their CR range. 16HP with resistance to 8 damage types and immunity to 2 means they have 32 effective HP, they deal 2d6+3 on a hit which is more than most other CR1/2 creatures.

Would you say this is a fair death or did my friend get unfairly fucked over?

>his face after his character fell unconscious

>Svyatopolk the Accursed

well consider it added to my DM tips reading list.

I feel like I've read this story already. Is your DM on Veeky Forums too?

I don't think so? Maybe.

well I'm on FF57.0 and it just werks for me

I feel like I read it today.

>What's the class you're playing next?
Gnome Oath of Ancients Paladin who stacks Charisma for saving throws with maybe a dip into War Wizard for the Arcane Deflection

>What kind of personality are you going to give that character?
Uhhh likes to swing a big sword?

yeah the whole shadow blocking the door. hmm

found it

Turns out I'm really good at capturing my contempt and expressing it in that accent. Unfortunately, this discovery was made during an Ironclaw one-shot where I called the pyromancer a "no-good monkey," on account of him being a a worthless cunt and a literal monkey, because Ironclaw. There was about 5 seconds of silence before the black man I had just so contemptuously called a no-good monkey asked me to repeat myself.
We all laughed it off after that but now no one can take me seriously in character in that accent and it ruins serious games

>tfw trapped between an idiot player playing an idiot character and a know-it-all player playing a know-it-all character
>Know-it-all bitches constantly about everyone's actions except his own
>Idiot literally can't stop doing arbitrarily retarded shit and fucking up plans

I've honestly never been in a more dysfunctional party in my life. It's miraculous that anything happens in these sessions.

>CR 1/2
>32 effective HP
>2d6+3 on a hit
jesus

>level 3
hot damn, that's a deadly encounter

I'd say it was bullshit unless there was some warning ahead of time

That's the one.

that's one hell of a faux pas

Travis, it’s okay. Critical Role is over. You don’t have to bitch about Scanlan and Percy/Vax anymore.