Your favorite RPG and why

Tell me about it Veeky Forums. I want to learn about them all.
And when shitposting ensues, know when to stop posting. You're not winning arguments on the internet.

The one I'm creating of course!
other than that, probably 3.5

Hello

>tell me about it.

it resembles dnd but, ill be honest, its more complex.
My aim is to make stuff feel more realistic (lower health, limb damage) so combat is much more dangerous. As a counter to the combat, I want to make professions have more depth so if players want to play a campaign where they run/own a business, they can. Powerful magic is performed in rituals while simpler magic is treated as cantrips, where you can cast it whenever. A character's spiritual values play a major role in the magic they use and who the ally with.

it's still heavily in development, especially since I totally restructured it from a universal system, intended to be used for any setting.

Eon and Neotech if you are Swedish. Fantasy and cyberpunk respectively with an attempt at realism, and an autistic amount of detailed rules and tables.

Werewolf the Forsaken: I enjoy WoD as a whole (anything prior to nWoD 2e), but I haven't played as much of them as I'd like. The one I've played the most is WtF and it's funand interesting, a lot can be done with this with a bit of imagination. The spirits and their world is very interesting and imaginative.

Sounds crappy

Mindjammer.
Because it is the god damned shit and everyone should play it. Seriously, it's the best use of FATE I've ever seen.

High tech sci-fi adventures in the second age of space, a vast, magnificent world which the players are still able to influence, a system that benefits players from the get go for entrenching themselves in the setting and having connections beyond themselves.
But no motherfucker plays it.
Characters I've thrown together some of which I've managed to play:
>Damaged ex-pirate-slave-warrior with a black box combat gland that claimed a broken ship and was basically desperately trying to be a good person
>Charming little fucker son of a rich world that decided to start a megacorp and go full rogue philanthropist
>A ship AI who occasionally hopped into a god damned tank in order to drive the crew around
>Multibodied plant dude who secretly intended to go full transhumanist hive mind and inhabit an entire planet ala the red weed or Zerg.
>The governor of an entire cluster of worlds, bravely facing off against two interstellar empires while desperately trying to scramble together the resources to build a great solar-orbital defense platform to fend off both sides.

Basically the system is beautiful, it's got plothooks for days, all of the bits and pieces of the setting are sensibly done.
And there's no good guy, at least, not by our modern standards.
But there's also only one bad guy and even then they have perfectly justified reasons for being xenocidal lunatics.

Where's his wife, mrs Grapefruit?

>fate
what are you, fucking retarded?

Yeah that doesn't sound like something I'd want to play

for not playing Atomic Robo instead, maybe

tried to keep it short because of the sarcastic desire to know more

The Core Worlds cater to the needs of all their citizens but are oppressive as all shit and so deep in a rut that they aren't getting out any time soon, they're a 'benevolent oligarchy' of borderline god-kings who are taking those strange first steps beyond even being transhuman into full on post-humanity, so how can your every day joe have any control over his life?
The Commonality is exploding, making its way out in all directions, saving worlds, helping people, without using military force except when attacked first...by exploiting their cultural manipulation technology, steamrolling any and all resistance through use of smiles and friendly handshakes and they're not even thinking about what they might become or take on when they do all this hand shaking.
The Far Havens are the closest to a 'normal' sci-fi set up that exists in setting, being a bit Dune-y with Asimov's laws enforced on all robots...which, considering robots are actually people is brutal as all shit when you think about it for too long.
And the Venu are damned well right about everything given their circumstances.
Their god-emperor is in fact, in touch with a higher being.
They did have to become a xenocidal, self-regulating mutant hating regime because it was that or die out due to mutations caused by their home planets high radiation levels.
Their authoritarian ways were entirely necessary and their culture remains necessary to a degree because they're living in a little bit of space that has 'bad shit happened here' written all over it.
Their powers do in fact work and even the Core Worlds don't know why.
And they were entirely, 100% right about the fact that the 'ambassadors' the Commonality sent their way were going to destroy their way of live and everything it meant to be Venu, because that's what the Commonality does with all cultures.
And they're still fucking monsters despite you being able to go 'yeah I can see where they're coming from' every step of the way.

fuck off retard

What are the advantages of 3.5 over PF?

idk, I just grew up on 3.5 but I kinda hate dnd these days

Here's your (you)
FATE is a perfectly fine system that can do basically anything without much of a problem, it's the single easiest to use universal system out there at the moment.

Or are you so busy with your head clenched firmly between your thighs, shoveling baked beans down your throat so you'll have more of your own farts to subsist on that you're going to go
>Great setting
>Fascinating high concept
>Ruleset that's simple to use and doesn't drive off 3/4 of potential new recruits by being obtuse?! REEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

The state of Veeky Forums

My favorite is easily Monsters and Other Childish Things, but pretty much anything with similar theming will do. MaOCT is about kids with strange monsters who happen to be their best friends, but it also can be about slightly monstrous children with some of the extra rules. It's easy to use to play a supers game without falling into the autismal grasp of Wild Talents.

As for other games: Little Fears: NE for playing Goosebumps stuff, Bubblegumshoe for Veronica Mars work very well.

If it has to be fantasy, I'd probably go with Beyond the Wall. 5e is tolerable but I don't like DnD's trappings and theme, so I won't touch any of the other editions even though I've played/run them all. Shadowrun is absolute garbage as a system and should be expunged from reality.

>fate
>good
no
>fate
>fine
no
>fate
>alright I guess
no
>fate
>bad
now you're getting it
>fate
>fucking terrible piece of shit
bingo

>games with rules are obtuse
victim of common core or just a formula fed soyboy who didn't develop the right amount of neurons?

Sine Requie if you are Italian.

Zweihander if you are able to ignore the shitstorm that inevitably surrounds it, that says the game is bad for reasons not even related to the game.

Wasting this much bandwidth on hating a game you've probably never played isn't healthy, Zak. Go back to your pathetic blog.

>everyone in the world hates my shit rpg
>must all be the same person, literal who that only I know about
sorry kiddo, the game just fucking sucks ass and there's nothing you can do about it.

>FATE
>Good
Exactly where I stand and good luck knocking me off my perch, it's my preferred system for anything that doesn't have a niche system.

>games with rules are obtuse.
Mindjammer is 500+ pages long, has rules for days and has rules for everything from getting resources on a world that doesn't use barter based systems, to generating solar systems, creating PCs of any race or culture, owning your own company, trading, mining, exploring new worlds, creating new life forms, going full post-human, working with the mindscape, making interstellar jumps, creating your own SCIENCE/doing research and even how different gravity effects players as well as some of the most dynamic equipment rules I've ever seen.
You can play an entire bacterial civilization piloting around the galaxy in what they effectively consider to be a meat starship, or just as easily go full megacorp game of thrones.

All of while being accessible as fuck.
Lightly stroking your dick with the inside of your arm while you sneeringly type up
>Oh yes, the 3.5 grappling rules do nothing but improve the game!
Doesn't make them any better.

Easy to learn, enjoyable to master is the name of the game in my eyes.
I could take my cousin, sit him down and have a character done for him inside of 10 minutes, which he'd understand well enough to play, then within a few hours have all those other rules in play without him even noticing the difference on his end.
Which is exactly what I want in a system.
But go ahead, beat off about how your system is superior, I'll be over here enjoying Mindjammer.

>autistic screeching

>sorry kiddo
Read the OP spoiler

Holy shit go the fuck back to r*ddit seriously

2nd Edition AD&D

For 10 years it's been playtested and polished to a glass-smooth perfection. These days, what rules that get included in a game are decided by committee, and 2e was probably the last game to get so much care and attention to its ruleset while staying away from superfluous and unnecessary mechanics.

Shadowrun for sure. I mean I'm a sucker for cyberpunk and although the magic stuff bugged me at first, I grew really attached to it.
I love that the setting is so super rich on lore but also open enough to allow you to make whatever you want within the settings frameworks. It also allowes for the most wacky of characters and the most crazy of groups. It is also, in fact, just alot of fun to play a criminal for a change. Like, not even in this "evil campaign" type of thing, but just people doing questionable things because of their personal reasons and maybe even come out as "the good guys" in the end. I love this sense of "living in the gray" where might be a criminal and steal and harm people from time to time, yes, but not being out right labeled as evil. (I just really hate alignment systems man...).
I also love the system. Of course, its abit of a clusterfuck with all the additional books and stuff, but the core mechanics are super to the point and allow for just rolling for shit on pretty much anything. I love it. It also feels nice to roll alot of dice. Its just satisfying.
I love shadowrun so much....

cafe communist detected

>low effort shit-posting
>two can play at that game

>Contemptuous neckbeard snort-chortling

Too bad none of the supplements got any of that attention.

why do retarded libshit always pretend to love "SCIENCE" while denying it constantly and pretending that larping as a woman makes you into a woman

what the fuck?

Because it's trendy, Big bang bazinga and so on. They don't actually care or understand about science, they care about looking smart while reading "top 5 science things that will BLOW your MIND".

>I don't have an argument, I'll just throw /pol/shit on the monitor and get my /pol/shitposting allies here in an instant
I'm not even that guy (FATE is lacklusting, IMO), and you're just this stupid.

no matter what you do you will never EVER be a woman

....sadly, you're entirely mistaken in my case. Might like to be a man temporarily just to see if that actually does get chicks off better, but that's a personal thing. But I get what you mean.

Unfortunately, it really doesn't matter. Roleplaying=/=your political shitposting agenda. Get the fuck out of Veeky Forums if you can't handle other people playing games for fun regardless of what you think.

You are not a woman, I can tell by the way you type.

nice try keyboard tranny

Guy he was originally posting at here.
You could provide all the proof in the world user and he wouldn't believe you.

Anyway, he's stuck here with the rest of us so that shows how much better he is.
Either way.
OP: Mindjammer, good shit, give it a go.

...do you type with your dick?

>OP: Shit sandwich, good shit, give it a go
ftfy

Uh huh. I bet you were never fooled by any pen names authors used either.

Yeah, they're just /pol/shitposting at this point.

If they did that they might suffer brain damage.

lol get the fuck out you sad stupid piece of shit

Can you make me? No? Then suck it up, kiddo.

Amber Diceless. It has massive versatility, a lot of fun background, and high potential.

Sadly, no one plays it. No dice to roll, no interest. Sad.

>off by 3
it's a metaphor for the rest of your life

Funny thing is, Mindjammer is also available as an MGT2 supplement, so all this bitching about it using Fate Core is pointless.

Funny thing is, you're the only person who cares and we all think you should fuck off and take your really shitty game with you

That's clearly not the same user, baiter. Aren't you supposed to be able to tell by their typing?

You may need to reconsider your path in life, user.

>off by 40
metaphor for your life keeps getting more apt

....you might need to reconsider your path in life too. Maybe go back to /pol/?

This isn't /b/. No one cares about gets here.

check em

Oh, ah, a script kiddy manages doubles, amazing. Now GTFO of Veeky Forums and go back to /b/, NEET.

>being this assblasted about 100% pure natural dubs

>And when shitposting ensues, know when to stop posting. You're not winning arguments on the internet.
This is a good stopping point, anons. An even better stopping point would've been 20 posts ago.
Let's go back to discussing RPG's, preferably with arguments that are a bit more meaningful than "it's objectively shit".

Ignore the haters, just because their glass is half empty doesn't mean you can't be having buckets of fun.

My favorite system is Dark Heresy 1st Edition. Simple enough that it can be learned pretty quickly while having enough depth in the system to keep me coming up with interesting characters and encounters. No one I play with will try it because of the 40k baggage though.

5e DnD gets an honorable mention because it's what we play the most and we enjoy it enough, I just wish we could move away from it.

Rolled 20 (1d100)

rolling to see if I'm impressed.

Nope! Not impressed!

>Fate
>Heavily flawed but still good for a more relaxed RPG
This kills the user.

>script kiddy tries to be cool
>it's ineffective

I personally recently fell in love with the Kingdoms of Ooo, an RPG that was made for Adventure Time-style stories but works for every genre as long as it's a bit zany and cartoony. It's very freeform, PbtA, and obviously has a hard time creating serious or realistic campaigns, but it's fun and flexible to run.

>PbtA
fucking dropped

>being this shittershattered over repeating numerals

>PbtA
It hardly resembles Apoc World, it's mostly just a rules-light game with a 2d system.
I know shitting on PbtA is the 'hip thing to do', but you're missing out on some inventive games if you shut them all out.

See:

>shitting on PbtA
When in toilet...

Nice 33

Dude that sounds like Runequest 3rd edition

Burning wheel

I don't play rpgs

Don't worry, most people in this thread don't.

Probably should have turned off your script before posting again.

Its probably similar since I don't think I'm making any game design breakthroughs, but playtests have shown that it's pretty fun. I wouldn't be surprised if I've unintentionally taken exact elements from a bunch of different rpgs.

I love it when self identified 'wiser' folks try to reason with idiots. It's like being on a road trip with your family when the parent asks the youngest kid to do something, and the kid's only response to every statement is "lul but why?" So, the parent rages into oblivion and the kid feels the self satisfaction of not doing anything, simultaneously not realizing they are an idiot and they haven't accomplished anything besides pissing off someone who shouldn't really care.

But god is it great to be the sibling watching nonsense descend about the stupidest shit ever.

You guys know what? Try The Dark Eye.

Sure the rules seem heavy at first glance, what with each skill requires 3 checks, but different die colors resolve that.

There are no OP builds, and kobolds can kill high level characters, whereas Dragons are officially off the menu without prep work.

RPG as in System? Infected! (even if postapoczombies is shit as a theme)

Sounds good, I'd love to playtest if I got your rules

My friend spilled beer on my laptop with the word document with the combat, identity, and stat rules. I still have it all in the hand-written form but i need to re-write the manual before i can post it anywhere, but thanks for the enthusiasm

Ryuutama.
A little Final Fantasy, a little Harvest Moon, and a lot Oregon Trail. Super feel-good (even if you play a "grim-dark" campaign) game.

Excellent starter game and an even better "family friendly" game if you have a mixed bag of potential players. (Doesn't *have* to be family friendly - but you can leave this one sitting out when the family comes over.)

Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay 2nd Edition

It's everything I wanted out of rpgs when I first started playing D&D (5e was my first edition).

Combat is brutal and often ended with a single good hit, diseases are a legitimate threat, and there's so many different rules for everything that you can think of. Dying of an infected wound is something that can happen relatively easily if you don't have a priest or a soldier on hand, and it is indeed slow and awful.

My favorite RPG is Star Trek Adventures because it's the latest new thing and I'm excited.

Star Trek has always been my favorite RPG setting as sitting around a table discussing a plan is extremely thematic and excellent roleplaying moments occur by accident just through technobabble arguing.

Also my previous favorite system to play was D100 because rolling within your skill makes more sense to me but I love D20s and lamented there lack of use. In the STA system you roll with in your skill with TWO D20s!!

Also it's much easier to come up with plot, campaign ideas because there's 700+ episodes to plain rip off.

I am thinking of trying out mindjammer with a few friends of mine, can you recommend me an adventure for beginners because we are new to this
Or should we start with a whole different setting?

The state of the Veeky Forums saddens me to a great end.

Mine is Mythras. I love D100 systems and skill system associated with it, having no class system is also a definitive plus for me. Combat also feels much more involved than D&D. However, my favourite thing about it is the power level. It is nicely adjusted so it doesn't feel like a full on power fantasy like D&D but charachters also don't feel like they are useless. Having 9 different magic systems to choose from is also a big plus.

>it is impossible for someone to be bored at work and entertaining themselves by shitposting
If only your wisdom actually had any merit.

Currently working on a pilot/mech rpg that is not a clusterfuck like Lancer. Basically using a modified version of Engine Hearts for the core with customizable mechs and weapons the PC can build themselves.

Fantasy Craft
It has everything I like about 3.5 (modular class-based character building and fairly crunchy), but with an all-around tighter design that leans more toward high heroic action and is a lot more flexible and user-friendly. (At least once you've figured out how to navigate the terribly-organized rulebook, anyway.)

The City People is a great Star Trek style 'first adventure' if you don't mind pre-gen characters.

It also however has a fair bit of body horror. If that doesn't interest you then honestly, I'd ask your group 'what you fancy' then go from there.

>For 10 years it's been playtested and polished to a glass-smooth perfection.
What? They couldn't even decide if high numbers were a good thing or a bad thing.

>first experience with roleplaying was freeform forum RP
>cringe in retrospect
>learn about proper games
>find the most recent thing at the time
>4eD&D
>try it out, no one to play with, make shit up with friend and DM it
>not too fond of it
>drop it for a bit but look into other settings and systems
>at some point 5eD&D drops without my knowledge and I find a group playing it in a store near me
>play 5e, better than 4e
>learn about older editions
>little brother learns to DM 3.5
>3.5 becomes my favourite edition
I just like all the customisation and supplemental options available, plus I like the complexity and depth to the game.
I like everything about 3.5, I even like the option to completely break it because no player would actually do it in game unless that was the point and it's all been done anyway.
I like the mechanics behind the roleplay but I will always tailor my chosen mechanics to the roleplay.

Best system.

I want to say Double Cross is my favorite, but no one bloody plays the damn game so..,..

Now we are talking.
Mah nigga.
Its not my favourite game and abit of a clusterfuck but I love it. Its exactly what you'd expect from a bunch of german rocket scientists: a stable game where basically anything and everything you can imagine has a rule. Its a thing of wonders

>Double Cross
Thats the crazy anime themed one right?
If so I've been meaning to look into it and would love to hear what makes it your favorite.

The game itself is a hot mess to be honest, and the translator fucking off means it'll never see the rest of the line translated.

But I honestly like how they work the background generation system into the mechanics, like you end up getting a handful of NPC's starting off that your bound to keep your character from saying "Fuck my humanity".

And as the game goes on, chances are they might fall off by the wayside as the game progress either due to story or choice meaning your character might decide that, yeah he no longer cares about his pre awakening crush anymore because he now has an undying loyalty to a commander, or thinks his hatred of a villain is more important and gives him the focus to keep from becoming a monster.

The combat mechanics defintly were rough, but that mechanic aspect of it, A.) gave the GM a solid stable of NPC's to work with out of the gate, and B helped flesh out your character based on what you felt was really important to them, with it changing as the game went on.