What is the best classless system?

What is the best classless system?

Traveller.
Sorry I know this was a joke and all but you did ask

But not Traveller 5.

The 2008 edition is really good. Don't know which version number that is.

But what is the best classes system that doesn't make you play as old crippled men in debt whose skills are still inadequate?

BRP.

Ah, damn. I thought you wanted realism.

That's one of the Mongoose ones, those are good. Traveller 5 is more recent, and is insane.

I'm not OP, just some guy with a bad traveller experience.
I had more fun with a Stars without Number campaign even though that has some of the worst class restrictions I've ever seen.
I should give Traveller another chance it's mechanics seem so nice.

BESM 3rd ed

Traveller as mentioned earlier, many different variants of D100 games like brp, Mythras, Eclipse Phase, Delta Green etc etc.

I'm sure there are loads more

Mongoose Traveller.

The best thing about traveller, for me, is that he system seems to support the roleplay while still being actual rules. What I mean is, it's not rules-light or such, but it's not like for example D&D either, where it feels more like you run the roleplay and the mechanics in parallel, instead of together.
Maybe that's a shitty explanation of how I feel about it, but that's my experience.

Have you played Fate accelerated or FFG's star wars games (though those have skill trees)?
They do that without the threat of making you play someone you hate.

>playing someone you hate
Irrational hatred is not good for you my friend. I have tried fate and didn't like it. It also felt as if the mechanics, although very different from those in för example D&D, were just there to work in parallel with the role playing, not in symbiosis with it.
Again just my feel of it.

Mongoose Traveller is pretty much just the best thing ever.

>Irrational hatred is not good for you my friend
Let me call it vehement dislike then. And aren't all feelings irrational by nature?

There is a big difference between Fate and Fate Accelerated in that FateA has "approaches" instead of skill. They facilitate character traits as much as ability so that an aggressive character would have a strong Forceful approach rating and thus it's player would try to find forceful ways to solve his problems making him think like his aggressive character.
That's the way i read it anyway.

Hmm, sound as if you build your character as how you want to play it? Is that it? Classless, but you build your own class sort of, tailored to that character?

Pretty much, though I have to say it depends on the GM.
Some see forceful as the melee skill and flashy as the social skill while I'd allow forceful to be used for intimidation and flashy for dynamic entry or feints.
It really runs on rule of cool.

I don't want to sound negative but while rule of cool is, well, cool, it's often a little too fuzzy for my taste. Games are always up to the GM and to the group in general or course, but I still prefer that you can know mostly what something does just by looking at the rules.

BRAAP

Mythras kind of