Cold + death, fire + death, and fire + life are common thematic pair-ups...

Cold + death, fire + death, and fire + life are common thematic pair-ups, but one duo you seldom see in fantasy fiction is cold + life.

How would you play and justify a character pairing together cold and life? Ice is good for preservation and respite. It preserves food, there is nothing quite like a cold drink after a hard day of work unless you happen to be Chinese, and ice cream is tasty. Highly advanced magic and/or science can cryogenically preserve people.

I come from a tropical country where air conditions are an eternal balm against the heat, so perhaps this cold + life character could similarly come from a tropical land, where a chill wind is seen as a soothing blessing?

OK, but why did you need to post a drawing of sexualized children

how else are we supposed to jack-off?

FPBP XD! Anime is so gross

Wouldn't that literally be antispirals? Ultimate lifeforms in stasis.

It's hard to spin cold the way I think you're getting at, user. Cold is a slowing, a removing of energy.

One could think of life/cold as the perserverance of life in the presence of cold, durability and persistence in the face of such adversities that an icy land has to offer. I don't know so much about it bringing relief in any other capacity than to cool down someone in sweltering heat or be a nice sensation to have pressed upon a sting or bite or something.

We've always required warmth to survive, even harnessing something as dangerous and destructive as fire to aid our survival. We did this because cold kills us, because we're warm-blooded creatures. In no context has humanity ever required cold to survive, but has always fought relentlessly against it.

Fire is humanity. It feeds us, warms us, and powers all of our prominent technology. There is no human life without fire, without heat.

>XD!
and I though I was garbage

Cold is preserving, healing, soothing. Cold is the gentle waterfall, cold is the dusting of frost on the pine needles. Cold is the wind on an autumn morning. Cold is the brisk bite of frosty air. Cold is the soothing of rage, the draining of hate. without cold the sun would consume the world, leaving nothing but withered corpses and dry streambeds

>cold is healing
Which is why the body heats itself up to fight an infection. Right.

Perhaps not 'Cold+Life' but certainly 'Water+Life'. Water and life go together like beer and cigarettes. Have your cold magic be water based and there ya go.

and what do you do when a person is feverish? you cool them down

Hence why fire is dual-natured. Life and death in a single package. Hell, when you get down to it, cold isn't even really a thing; it's just the absence of a thing.

>cold isn't even really a thing
that is a fair point. we talking water? ice? cold is a vast umbrella with numerous applications

This, as a proper person, sexuality is the first thing we’re supposed to think of when seeing children. This isn’t a sign of our problem, their fault.

Found the pedo

>duo you seldom see in fantasy fiction is cold + life
cold is often also ice that is part of general "water magic", and guess what water magic is also often healing magic.

>How would you play and justify a character pairing together cold and life?
put a blue robe on him.

Did you even played Heroes 3, water magic best magicmaybe after earth

I feel the issue is well laid out here.

The invention of air-conditioning aside, cold isn't something that gives life. It gives comfort, but only in moderation. More fire gets bad, but big fire isn't necessarily bad. The sun is often considered the first and biggest fire and it is mandatory for all life.

Original fire gives life. What does original cold give?

That dust of frost can also dust a frozen traveler who didn't properly fear the cold.

Thematically I feel like cold, and by extension cold magic and cold worship needs a healthy deal of respect and fear. Cold is helpful. Cold is hideously damaging too.

I feel like water + life is a better fit OP.
Water is as necessary to life as fire is, but the cold truth is that living things become cold when they die. That's why death + cold is common.

Water + Death is also and interesting thematic link.

what a people who use the cold to their advantage. in the face of an unstoppable enemy, our proposed hero feared the worst, but the bitter cold drove them back, and gave hope to those in need. in that moment the cold gave them life.

go away russia. And stop fucking with our elections.

Ice age druid

Who said anything about Russia?

Maybe you could give it a different kind of spin. Cold itself isn't life-giving, cold is what forces you to action. The living keep moving to stay warm and their cheeks are rosy. The dead are still and pale. The cold is the medium in which you prove your existence, prove that you are truly alive.

If we're talking about spells and magic, the cold would have to be challenging the recipient. If you can endure the chill that your disease can't, it dies and you live. That kind of thing.

I think your best bet would be focusing on the "preservation" aspect--in a tropical or swampy environment, cold could be seen as something that fends off the ever-present issue of rot and mold.
Although the obvious counterpoint here is that mold and bacteria are themselves a form of life, and the cold just keeps them from doing their thing.

In a more modern setting, you could play up the concept of refrigeration--a use of cold that ties into the power of technology and civilization. With it, you can transport food and medicines over great distances, or preserve tissue and organs for life-saving surgical procedures.

You can also play up the life-death duality with cold; liquid nitrogen is used to remove warts and other potentially harmful growths, killing infected cells for the good of the rest of the body. It can also be used to keep the "fire" aspect of life under control--ice is important for keeping inflammation down during allergic reactions, for example.

Warmth is the present, it is emotion and the ability to solve immediate problems. It is the day for which we live and the light that will illuminate the darkness. Cold is the future, it is logic and the wisdom to prepare for what is to come. It is the night for which we wait and the blinding darkness for which we must hone body and mind that we might get through it. Warmth is why you gather food when you are hungry, cold is why you do the same when you are not.

In hot climates like the middle east and American south people tend to do more at night when it becomes cool and bearable, you could easily tie it in to a harsh climate like that

>White Death

ohfuck.jpeg

Desert campaign, where heat is the enemy. Maybe the sun is poisoned and you can't even go out during the day, or maybe it's a land of wildfire and volcanoes. The idea is that heat is so abundant it's dangerous. Cool, cold, ice, all that? It's rare, and it's what lets you live. Go with the sacred darkness, a relief from the threat of death and the only thing that makes life possible. Tie it in with water as the life/healing aspect.

>Desert
>Heat is the enemy
Cold is as bad or worse to cope with in the desert.

Sand doesn't hold heat very well, so yeah. Pretty much.

They are 1000 year old lolis

>the ability
I'd go with "drive" rather than ability, but yeah, I actually think you sound pretty goddamned spot-on.

Only one is 1000 years old. The other is only 60.

Is the one on the right supposed to be a young girl? She seems older than that, although this is all through that style of manga drawing where the primary sign of aging is that you grow a nose. Older person, bigger and more detailed nose.

Life magic and cold magic both do a similar thing: Create structure.
Life magic does it by storing heat in physical structures, while cold magic removes heat entirely. Have it be a culture that believes that bodies give off heat because they're slowly dying ever since they were born, a neccesarry part of motion, which is at odds with structure. Your stomach is a metaphorical furnace that breaks apart bonds in your body so you can move, but your body repairs it by 'freezing' the broken bonds back together.
In another sense, in order to rebond structures that have been torn apart in the body, you need to restore the heat that makes up cell structures and proteins in the body. If this is done, then heat will be drawn away from the body around the damaged point to do the job, creating a sensation of cold.

Suwako is at least several thousand years old, her legends predate the dominance of the Yamato in Japan. Cirno's at least 60, but she could very well be much, much older.

The ideal case for this culture is a perfectly cold creature that can still act with motion- it has absolute control of its structure and structure around it. Snow angels, so to speak. They do not need fuel for their internal fire, nor do they need air to fan it. They move as they will, at one moment untouchable and another harder than stone. They can take any form they wish, and may or may not be extensions of the great order. The great order had an enemy, the great fire, which disrupted animals and forced them to consume in order to survive. The great order answered this by allowing animals to reproduce so they would not all be destroyed, granting a positive dynamic to chaos, and locked his foe in place in the sky to serve the world as punishment. Trees, which are naturally structured and take power from the sun, might be holy objects.
I'd suggest coming up with a cultural word for this specific concept of order versus chaos.

i mean life literally requires heat to exist so cold and life would be pretty fucking stupid

Maybe for you filthy air-breathers.

The opposite of fire is water which has plenty of life and death associations.
Cold's opposite is heat, and that can easily be spun into a life direction but not into a death direction.

All is well and balanced.

The one on the right is Cirno or something. An ice fairy from those impossible bullet hell/fancy hat games

>a perfectly cold creature that can still act with motion
This perfectly cold creature sounds like a pretty cool guy.

A vampire that heals by taking body heat from otherd

And it just so happens he does this by kissing his own sister to leech out her fever, right?

But the left one is literally a mother and the boss of her shrine. Are you implying liking petite women, no matter how old or capable, means you're a pedo?

I wouldn't try to justify it, so much as have a confligration of SO MUCH life and frost energy.

So you'd get ice crystals naturally self assembling into green crystalline trees, and more traditional plants with pods of ice. Creatures made of hybridized organic and glacial materials. The works.

Basically, a life spill, but in frost land.

>Ice kills you
>Fire kills you
>Fire stops you from freezing to death, cooks your food, cleans your water, allows you to make things out of clay and metal.
>Ice can delay your food from rotting for a while maybe?
There's really just no precedent in real life for ice to be associated with life. Your best bet would to focus on life's ability to conquer the cold and thrive despite it.

Fire is associated with emotions.
Ice is associated with logic.

Emotions are always evil.
Logic is always good.

Life is good.
Death is evil.

Therefore:
Fire = death = evil
Cold = life = good

sage+killyourself

In their setting the left one is a goddess of fertility (life) and the one on the right is an ice fairy (cold). I think you will understand that user's made a very good choice to ilustrate his post, which by the way I'm sure you didn't even read, stupid idiot.

The earliest records we have of the Yamato polity date back only to 400s AD. Let's give Suwako the benefit of the doubt and assume she was there before the yamato polity even existed, that might put her at what, 100 AD for the Yamato polity beginning and then maybe another 200 more of her being a god before that? So if we stretch it we can get to 100 BC.
So maybe she is slightly over two thousand years old. But doesn't several feel more like at least 3? Otherwisr you would have used the word couple.
As for me, I doubt she is as old as 3000

If anything gets too hot it's ability to hold structure breaks down, making some cases where cold is an asset. Ultimately it would require a very hot environment to justify cold+life. I do like the idea of a species surviving mass extinction events via cryogenics, which could lead them to associate cold in such a way.

But why are they both drawn as sexualized children

>Petite=children
Left one doesn't even looks like a child

They're wearing summer clothing and it's obviously hot out. If that's too tantalizing for you, user, you should probably not venture outside during the summer months.

Define sexualized.

Maybe ice and cold are not as appropiate as healing, but more as armor and resistance?
Preservation, slowing down decay and all of that shit. An ice armor capable of preventing damage, change, while with the tradeoff of slowing down both enemies and allies. Abuse could result in frostbite.
Also I want to fuck that scourge god

So, basically, you need a fuck so bad that even normal clothing looks like lingerie to you?

Anything that isn't a burka.

>i mean life literally requires heat to exist so cold and life would be pretty fucking stupid
Life also literally requires not being too hot. Can you retards stop posting like thermoregulation only goes one way? Sweating and heat exhaustion are things.

Very extremist-cult of you, user.

Medicine. It cools a fever and rebalances the body. Water is the common vector to apply medicine, but solid pills and salves shift things a bit more towards Ice.

A lot of life is about disparity. Warmth AND cold, you need a difference to exist for life to flourish. The shade is often used as a place of respite, as even plants wilt away from too much sunlight.

I don't think "refreshing" is enough of a connection to "life" energies. I think the best you could do is water+life and that's tried and true.

For example, the difference between tropical areas and desert areas is moisture and temperature. Being hot is great for life, even fire is good for life in the long run, but the cold is just bad for life unless you're coming from some sort of sterile inferno planet.

Also, I'd rephrase your dichotomy as "fire and ice" or "heat and cold".

In divinity original sin, Water is the life giving sphere of magic because its connected to water and water means life. this is also true for Zero no Tsukaima as a setting.

>removing
Unless your opening black holes with cold I don't think so. Your absorbing it. You could spin a antihero easily on some "ima freeze shit and then pop its spring" by taking and then re-giving that energy.

But giving heat is like giving life. Giving cold medically is only protecting against violent destruction, it's hard to theme is as life magic. It's protection from heat, not a source of life.

>condensed energy can't give life
No but the dissipation of that can. One ice made who drops a giant ice cube on a mountain during winter would be literally saving a country because when that shit melts the mountain spreads that shit all over, giving life to the whole basin around that shit. It's possible for cold to give life, it just takes more time and is definitely less direct.

Ice mage* Jesus I can't type

>But giving heat is like giving life.
No, giving heat is just giving heat. "More heat" has no more fundamental connection to life than "less heat." One gives you hypothermia the other gives you a heat stoke. Both can and will kill.

>ctrl+f
>no "yuki"
Yuki-onna are Japanese snow spirits that traditionally kill people out in the cold but overtime they have been re-imagined as less like evil snow demons and more lonely and human-like. You could easily take the concept and make them spirits that protect, heal, and shepard people lost in the snow but are unable to live with humanity due to their elemental nature.

Polaris is some minor indie rpg that I liked where you basically play as ice elves. So in that Ice is associated with life and light while the weird dark lava/fire monsters you fight are death.

There you go again, equating "cold magic" to "water magic". Just me being specific about the prompt, but I want talking about the ability to conjure water.

I'm not talking about medicine, I'm talking about life in general. Add heat to anything, assuming equal moisture, you're going to create more life. Then you have virtually equal medical applications. And then you have the fact that adding heat to an animal animates it, gives it life in the sense that you are giving it spirit. The opposite happens when you cool an animal.

cold/life would be a cool breeze, or a refreshing drink

The opposite of fire isn't cold, it's water. Water is very much paired up with life and with death almost equally. Water actually gets both quite often, as 'rebirth'.

Cold/Life could also work when the culture associating them are not adapted to the heat of the local environment. Perhaps they are outsiders or colonists, perhaps some ass hole wanders around punching connections to the elemental plane of Fire.
Focus on situations where heat is the greatest danger, where lava flows are a real fear, or so deep in the ground that the temperature could cook a person alive quickly.

Yes, dumb pedo poster.

If you view life competitively, fire is life-like because it represents the uncontrolled growth of life, and it is death like because that uncontrolled growth requires uncontrolled consumption of other life in order sustain itself. So cold would be the reverse. It would be death-like because it prevents the uncontrolled growth of life, but life-like because it prevents an uncontrolled growth of life from consuming other life.

So while life-fire would focus on regenerating wounds, targeted cleansing and buffs, life-cold would focus on prevention of disease/injury and sustainment of healing conditions. It would probably be more akin to shielding magic and abjuration spells.

Also the end goal of fire-life is a neverending evolution towards greater and greater states, at the expense of previous states, whereas the end goal of cold-life is an untouchable and unmoving utopia of eternity. So there's a temporal aspect to it as well. A life-cold mage's philosophy could be that every being should be preserved at its zenith, or that every state that they are in is as equally precious as the next, so they want to expand these small moments in time at the potential expense of growth. They would be calm, patient (perhaps too patient), and always far more interested in exploring every minute detail of who someone is now rather than who they could potentially be.

>end goal
>neverending
That's probably not right lol. Maybe something like how they want to burst into perfection through constant change whereas the life-colds methodically build upon what is already there.

Sorry for the triple post