/ysg/ Yog Sothothery

pls respond edition. Why is the best general always so dead?

>The classics that started it all
eldritchdark.com
hplovecraft.com/writings/texts/

>Call of Cthulhu Trove
mediafire.com/folder/h9qjka0i4e75t/Call_Of_Cthulhu

>Atchung! Cthulhu
mega.nz/#F!ywcHkIAA!ycphEhCOkbnjOvAQ4t7TBg

>Pulp Cthulhu
mega.nz/#!L9EFWSIT!o6clZxfdrVSOLkmcQz3wQ2Af9-hKsUxKc7214VynuY4

>Delta Green
pastebin.com/rtpJfc2L

Post whatever game you're playing and its story. Is 7th edition worth a buy?

Anyone ever run the King in Yellow shit from Delta Green? I'm about to conclude a campaign that has been all about the yellow sign and I just want to know how it went for other people. I'll throw in some homemade shit too. My group absolutely loves the mindfuck stuff that is part and parcel of dealing with the yellow king.

I've always wondered why these threads never survive. They Have some of the least amounts of shitposting on the board

is the handlers guide good?
I already bought it when it was discounted but but in the last three weeks I didn't had time to read it...

If you already have it it's worth a read.

Pity Bump

I've never seen anything in the CoC brand do King in Yellow well. Or, well, anything Cthulhu-related really. DG is a bit better but really more in the paranoia.

I did a King in Yellow thing once, where the third act of the play was basically a key for your brain, forcing it word by word into a neurological sigil that lets Something through.

And once your head is full of it, all you want to do is get other people to read the book.

I ran Night Floors as a one shot once. It's a cool and creative scenario, I just wish it gave more solutions for dealing with the problem other than "Burn the fucker down."

I found excerpts from the play that some fan had made, printed them out, and gave them out as handouts scattered around the upper floors.

The best bit was when the players walked out onto a stage with an audience that was entirely puppets. Completely unprompted, they started acting out the script.

I know that H.P. Lovecraft made it so that there were no "Good Deities", but August Darleth felt differently.
Are there any Elder Gods or Outer Gods that strike you as benevolent to Mankind?

I dunno. You could just make up your own you know.

Personally, I think that the benevolence should be twisted a bit just to make it interesting.

1. A creature from the realms of dream wants humans to live because it wants its home to stay the same.
2. A creature wants to uplift humanity to a higher stage of existence regardless of if humans like it.
3. A creature wants to remove all strife and violence from humanity by lobotomizing them.
4. A creature is purely benevolent, to long forgotten colonial Britain. Ancient Britannia rules again!

>yithian mindswap fuckery somehow goes horribly wrong
>you have now swapped minds with any race from the mythos
Which one would you want and why?

Either a deep one or a ghoul. Mostly because I want to keep my dick.

but user, think about the possibilities! you could have a dick that would drive men mad with knowledge of its existence!

One thing I never understood is why all this shit happens on Earth. Like, these cosmic unknowable horrors with power beyond our imagination and access to infinite realities appear here... why? What is so special about Earth?

Maybe it happens everywhere, but you only hear about the shit that happens on Earth because that's where you all live

That's even worse though, because this shit is all over the place on earth to the point that I start to question how it even remains secret. Then we find it's like this everywhere, across all realities? Like, damn son, that makes me think the elder gods are closer to youtube attention whores than unknowable horrors.

Dis ya boi Narly666 up in the house with some crazy summoning tips

Before we get to the action remember to slam that like button and buy my tome

If you like this vid you wanna check out the rest of my channel and be a follower I got all the tips you need

now that we good lets get into the real shit now man heres how you do it first

find a copy of the necronomicon and start reading that beeeeyatch and then everything will be clear

yeeeeah boi it's as easy as that

remember to SMASH that like button and Imma see yall senpaitachi again next time this yo boy Narly666 reminding to you to subscribe PEACE

They are literally omnipresent fundamental facets of reality. They are everywhere because they literally are everywhere. All though that's mostly the Outer Gods. The Great Old Ones are less powerful and the Elder Gods are mostly mysterious.

I'm trying to find Masks of Nyarlathotep to run for my guys. Does any1 know if I can get the pdf from somewhere?

7th edition btw

I don't see why Azathoth or Yoggie or whatever would give a shit about keeping it a secret though. They just exist all over the place doing their thing.

Yoggie could be knocking up backwoods hicks on every inhabited planet, what exactly does it care if people know?

Check the trove link in OP, 6th ed folder. Use stat conversion rules from 7th ed core.

I'll be running my first CoC scenario tomorrow, the Haunting, 7th edition. Anyone got any advice for first time CoC keeper?

The thing I really like about the DG King In Yellow is that anything related to it is more psychological. It lets me run some mind bending shit happening in a two story apartment rather than just being a murder mystery with a monster included.

Don't try too hard to make it scary, its almost never going to be scary. The fun part about these things is having your character try and solve the mystery of what the fuck is going on. If I remember correctly the Haunting is a bit hard to run, but if you have experience with other shit you're good. Give your players plenty of opportunities to learn the backstory of the house.

The 7th edition MoN is coming out "soon"

bump

To begin with, you can't run a good Lovecraftian adventure if your players are prepared for anything Lovecraftian. It's the intrusion of the unimaginably alien into the normal world that creates uneasiness. First, you have to create "normal" and make them comfortable in it.

I never see the Unspeakable Vault (Of Doom) here. Why is that? Maybe I just don't pay enough attention to this thread, but it is usually rather ephemeral.

It's a niche within an already niche interest.

I have an ongoing intentionally campy Lovecraft inspired game, thanksgiving themed for the laughs. The main horror is based on a fucked up dream I had involving an oversized flesh-polyp turkey devouring people. Think pallid, irregular and unhealthy skin instead of a beak or feathers. The players have yet to encounter the monster, but they did suckerpunch some nazis and subsequently light them on fire.

The main hook is that the elder Thornton of the Thornton estate in Snarkham died of mysterious circumstances a few weeks ago. His head was found in the gravekeeper's well. Since then, children have been disappearing from town once or twice a week. His daughter hires the PCs to find out what's going on, concerned that it might have to do with rituals her father would perform around November. The party consists of an alcoholic FBI detective, an explorer/archaeologist paranoid of cultists, and a pyromaniac monster hunter.

The night wore on as the party followed their leads. The letters between the elder Thornton and a certain Fritz were disquieting, as was the iron cross used as a paperweight for the stack. Also found in Thornton's study was a note about a specific brand of canned cranberry sauce, Red Herring brand. They interrogated Fritz and found little. They interrogated the gravekeeper and inspected where Thornton's head was found. They spoke to officers at the police department, and discovered that the grocer had been bought out of his stock of cranberry sauce! They followed the trail back to Fritz and threatened him until he told them where a ritual was taking place. They need to hurry, kids might be in trouble Then came the nazi punching and burning. The last nazi to fall unconscious shouted "you fools!" before keeling over. The pile of apparent gore in the middle of sacrificial circle was none other than... Red Herring Cranberry Sauce.

Many laughs were had. Everybody at the table is a big fan of Yog Sothothery; just the right group to make fun.

Ha s anyone ever used Nightgaunts?

bump

I just want PCs that aren't otherkin without it having some edgy theme or gimmick

The Old Ones themselves never really take pains to hide (they're just naturally out of sight at this point). The cults formed around them tend to be secret, for obvious reasons.
Mi-Go for example take specific pains to remain obscure.

The expanded Mythos is way too crowded indeed, but you don't need to consider all of that actually being valid simultaneously for your own games.

The real trick to King n Yellow is less the system and more than it requires genuine creativity, imagination, and ability on behalf of the GM. Some systems are more helpful than others, but in the end most GMs just can't pull it off.

Agreed. You also have to have players kinda willing to buy into it. Audio and handouts help too.

Best advice I can give is places and people infected with the King in Yellow operate on dream logic. Things are connected in a logical manner, but that logic is vague and inconsistent.

Shotgun scenarios are due tomorrow. Anyone submit anything good?

So I've recently ran a game in the late Victorian era where the ideas of Nietzsche and Freud are responses to a fundamentally Eldritch universe, with the former tapping into it and the latter merely examining it without understanding the risk.

Are there any other scholarly/literary figures around that time (or just in general, I'm not picky) that could be construed to be acting out of Eldritch persiation?

yithian or elder thing, travelling time and the cosmos both sound pretty cool

Perhaps something to do with Evola? he wrote a lot on metaphysics and mythologies and even spent time in south east Asia exploring their "mythologies". Maybe the PCs find one of his unread works on why mankind must go through a spiritual awakening. Maybe he though fascism was the key to unlocking the Pineal gland. I like using obscure authors in this regard

7e is worth a buy just for the number simplification alone.

How many crazy people have you seen in your life? what if just 10% are crazy from exposure form the mythos? what if they have absolutely no proof of what they've seen? there you have it. The mythos can be found if searched for it's just hard and no one will believe you

if that's not too cheesy for you Sir William Matthew Flinders Petrie could be someone to incorporate.

Punish them for dumb shit, if they run up to Corbit have him fuck them up, theres a penalty for being dumb in the cthulhu mythos

where did the Nazis come from?
>inb4 a gm that inserts modern political themes into their games

>They Have some of the least amounts of shitposting on the board
That's probably why. No shitposting + already low volume = falling off the board

>mfw this thread will die like the rest

The little group of posters will keep the faith down the forgotten centuries and aeons, until /ysg/ fully awakes to rule Earth once more.

Well then here's a question for you and everyone:

is your prefered flavour of Eldritch horror Eldritch beasts in a lifeless, meaningless, uncaring universe, or a Universe fundamentally Eldritch in its makeup?

bit of both really. Some mythos entities are perfectly aware how cold this universe is while some are truly just writhing tentacled idiots that react on their primal instincts. The intelligent ones still find some meaning generally (territory, history, awakening, magic, technology) many of them live to be hundreds, thousands, millions and billions of years of age. They their need to occupy themselves (Yithians, elder things, deep ones) or sleep (great old ones)

Luckily this board is slow enough that we might persist for days.

Atm listening to shadow out of time and stumbling on this thread was such a suiting occurrence. This story got me thinking could you run a game with an alien race as the pcs and how would that go. For example with the races from this story. There is something unsettling with the premise that the great race is great but still afraid of stuff.

Not really call of cthulhu at that point but could be interesting. Will likely kill the fear of the unknown in many ways

Alright, but IS this Universe cold and uncaring or is it mad? One normally associates Lovecraft with absolute nihilism, but his Universe is dreamed into existence by a mad God, so while it is indeed meaningless and uncaring to us, it's not completely detatched and empty, it's actively mad. So there the Universe ITSELF is Eldritch as much as the entities inhabiting it.

But then on the other hand you have the actual dread of uncaused nothing, of the incidental nature of being itself. Basically taking what we all fear/know to be true and then putting Eldritch stuff in there.

I personally prefer the former, but I think the latter is more terrifying.

God damn playing DG makes me want to join the FBI. I know its a stretch but is there anyone here who was ever in the FBI? I very possibly have the skill set and experience to get some kind of job in it, just not the cool X FIles job I would want.

alright, give me some homebrewed Eldritch - What gods, concepts, creatures, insanities have you come up with that you're proud of?

It's literally Cthulu snoring drawing other bullshit here.

>y nazis tho
1937, political upheaval in Germany w/ Nazi rise to power. Late elder Thornton was sympathetic to the ailing Germans following WW1, in which he was an officer. The Nazis were preying on that sympathy, and when Thornton discovered their motivations, not to speak of their ideology, he cut ties. He died for his perceived betrayal.

The Nazis in Snarkham were trying to harness the power of whatever creature that Thornton kept under wraps. They weren't responsible for the children disappearing. If anything, they were trying to save the children by controlling the monster. 1937 might be a little early for the paranormal nazi trope, but I figured I could make it work.

Also, yes, it was very cathartic for the group to punch nazis. Fuck nazis.

I'm currently in the process of applying to them and the DEA.

What other systems are good for CoC shit besides the obvious?

See you in the paranormal investigations division friend.

For my shotgun scenario entry the monster is a big "kite" of skin. It can fly, flow up walls, smother people, change color to disguise itself, etc. But it can also "origami disguise" itself by folding up in a human shape and walking around like a normal person.

intradesting. What's its origin, what's its agenda?

maybe death will die first, who knows?

Eh, I'd rather go back to doing counter-terrorism stuff or cartel & pharma company shit. I just gotta fix my resume to the federal resume format for the FBI. DEA stuff is all submitted and I'm waiting to for the next step. I should also finish the test scheduling for border patrol, though I really don't have any desire to work for border patrol, kind of a fall back.

man, border patrol is the worst fucking job if you have any desire to actually DO anything all day. I guess you have to have that kind of meditative discipline too if you wanna join the FBI, but border control is about THE most boring job in the world.

That's actually pretty cool. Just skimming down the main page and happened to notice it, it would be pretty cool in a japanese-style horror movie.

A wizard turned himself into it, he wants revenge on the people who killed him. Also, if you had the capacity to become a being of immense eldritch power, why wouldn't you?

Anyone run Lover in the Ice before for DG?

What would you guys say is the "best" 7e campaign in the trove?

>Sarah Moore (PISCES' Liz Sherman) walks into a bar
>pulls out the Sword of Korvaz, summons a fire vampire
>tells the bartender to call the police and ask for "zagrembi's book"
>or she'll turn it loose and barbecue everyone
>she knows DG is out there somewhere listening
>if you shoot her the fire vampire is no longer bound and it incinerates the bar and all the dang hostages
>so you gotta find some other way of diffusing the situation

I call it "Somebody Get This Hothead Out of Here"

I ran the Haunting today like I said I would and the game seems to have been an success. My players said they had fun and we'll continue next week if schedules so permit.

Do you guys know any good scenarios to follow the Haunting? I was thinking running Murder of Crows from previous edition or doing Crimson Letters from 7th edition core.

This. Both are close enough to human that I could find common ground.

Probably deep one so I could occasionally come ashore and knock up some cultist chicks.

Human beings were created by the Elder Things. We exist because Earth had some property they found attractive.

Anybody run any of the adventures out of The Things We Leave Behind?

Because it isn't cute enough!

I got excited but then I realized that pic wasn't Earthworm Jim.

My GM ran the Haunting, then next session we did one where some dudes did a ouija in 1875 and they summoned some cthulthing, then it was up to us to undo the summoning. It was pretty cool. Supposedly its another intro adventure but I do not know the name sadly

t. 56%

I think I know the one you are referring to. Its something I'll have to consider. Thanks.

What the actual fuck did he mean by this?

Do someone have links for OCTN or Lackey for the Cthulhu LCG card game ?
I can't find any anymore.

The eternal 56 percenter strikes again, yare yare

Oh, /pol/baiting. Okay. Cool. Thanks for having interesting conversation. I really appreciate you taking the time to talk to me about lovecraftian horror. I'm glad we agree that Nazis are utter bastards who deserve a good fist in the eye, and as such make justified, amusing, and cathartic villains in games.

>being this butthurt
>americans being this insecure

>/pol/baiting
It's /int/baiting you retard.

Why do brainlets even post sometimes I wonder? there so unenlightened it's embarrassing really, I bet this retards a no coiner as well
>t. you

>no coiner
What the fuck is that? Someone who doesn't buy crypto currency?

Listen, dude. I don't even give a fuck about biting bait. I barely even know why I'm a target for ridicule. I came here to talk about Lovecraftian shit, and the stupid campy game I was running for my friends. I don't give a fuck about most of the chan culture. I know that /pol/ keeps shitting up otherwise perfectly good threads, and I performed the grievous crime of saying that Nazis are punchable, so that's what I reached for. I know that I live in the middle of frozen-ass fuckboi-ville, filled with religious wingnuts. I know that the leadership of my country no longer represents the public, but corporations and the absurdly rich. I know that if the looming tax bill passes, which it probably will, I will not be able to afford to go to college and finish a degree for several years, because I didn't have the good sense to be born to a rich family.

I didn't come here for a hugbox, and I don't give a rat's ass about your culture war or rivalry or whatever the fuck it is. America sucks right now. Shit's fucking fucked.

Let's talk about how to inject humor, cheer, and meaning into an otherwise bleak situation, because that's the best that we can hope to do in this world. I thought that the whole "it isn't children guts, it's actually cranberry sauce" was pretty funny. I took a lot of cues from Munchkin Cthulhu for the laffs.

I was with you up until you started being a faggot and disagree vehemently with your "analysis" there, but all of that is besides the point because this is /ysg/ and I think this is the first time I've seen blatant shitposting here.

As far as it goes in regards to injecting humor, I think only gallows humor is appropriate to the setting, but in the DG game I run one of my players is pretty damn hilarious since he's playing a pretty old professor who checks our EVERYTHING so he's very much slipping into insanity. And the fact that he does an old guy voice is just icing on the cake.

To further extrapolate on that, having been in some very bleak situations, you often either gotta laugh or cry. I have usually chosen the former.

>Not born to a rich family
>Can't even afford college
>Blames Trump
pathetic poor fag, really what are you doing playing call of cthulhu? you should be out earning some money at a McJob, Role playing is for wealthy people with stable finances and disposable income not destitute idiots that complain about where they were born. Don't like the politics, people, religion, ideology of the place your living? move you fucking moron. It truly is embarrassing sharing a board with dip shits such as yourself. Also TLDR your posts, no one wants to read your gay blog
>pic related
>you

>Until you started being a faggot
About what, dude? I am seriously ignorant of what I'm being accused. If it's my political leanings, fine, whatever. My tentative goals to educate myself and get a decent 9-5 are probably fucked, so fuck the party which willingly does that. If it is my shitty analysis of petty culture war leaving me as the next target, which confuses the hell out of me since the whole 56er thing seems based around americans being uppity about being white, I would prefer education over insults.

>Gallows humor, etc.
I'm not sure. There's some amount of absurdism in the whole situation. It really depends on the mood and the group. I think that humor helps the up and down of tension and release. You could have an hour of palpable apprehension, and then when the investigator finally loses their tiny little mind, you can laugh at how the investigator clearly wasn't genre savvy. The campy shit I had with my friends was intentionally light-hearted and casual, since we're all fans of the genre and like to make fun of the cliches, like the FBI detective who doesn't want to believe what they see. The pyromaniac brandishing their flamethrower and using it to threaten people was a hilarious gag throughout the night.

stop being a whiny little fag then, simple, nobody wants to hear about your gay problems and who your blaming them on

>About what, dude?
I'd rather not get into it and apologise for bringing it up anyway, as it doesn't matter for the subject at hand. We'd find each other on probably the opposite of most political issues, but who cares?

And yeah, I prefer gallows humor to more campy stuff, but I can definitely see it working if your group is all for it(3 of the 5 guys in my group, including myself, are veterans so gallows humor works better for us). Though one of my players straight up made Fox Mulder as his character.

Fuck off retard, it's not relevant to the discussion.

another 56%er joins the thread