Judeo Christian Elder God

How do we fluff the traditional Judeo Christian God as an Eldrich Lovecraftian god?

Other urls found in this thread:

tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/EldritchAbomination/MythologyAndReligion
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

He already is. He is Good because he says he is good and if you disagree you are killed and sent to hell, your city annihilated, and other's memories of you erased. On lesser days, he will merely rewrite your mind so that you always loved him, which is good, because he said so.

Someone had a storytime about pretty much that and it was fucking great. Yaweh crusading across the lands, killing every god he encountered, walking armoured shells that can't be killed who hunt out anyone who crosses his will.

If anyone's got it saved post that shit.

>Seeing his full glory will burn a person
>Is 'the shape of man' but somehow incomprehensible (Oh, I get it, we don't like it but that's what peak performance looks like!)
>We earn his forgiveness by drinking the blood and devouring the flesh of his son
>sermons are held in massive, elaborate stone buildings entire schools of architecture were developed initially for and carried out in dead languages
>Clergy dress funny

I'm sorry, do you REALLY need to do anything?

Change nothing.

Go full fedora.

>Durr Hurr The Bible drives those that read it mad
>Only those with a high enough Sanity can resist breaking into songs and praising his name every few minutes
>Dark meat especially susceptible to his cravings

I'm really looking for this kind of details which will sound like a Lovecraftian god to someone if you just omit the name of the god.

The whole “god works in mysterious ways” thing really is just a stepping stone to chaos when you look at it twice.

You just do the reverse of what you already did to Yogg Sothothery, August, ya cunt.

Look up biblically accurate descriptions of angels. Very freaky actually. Lots of animals heads and multiple faces, and floating eyes. Seriously, when in doubt, just do eyes instead of tentacles for the aesthetic.

Go with Old Testament. New testament a shit.

As a devout christian, take my word for it when I say you don't need to change anything. Shit's horrifying, in a good way though.

Jesus was Nyarlathothep. I can see it now.

Meant for:

God may intervene in mortal affairs a little too much compared to other eldritch entities. So I think itt's be important to refluff Abrahams visitation as an accident. Making the flood just a delusion of a mad Noah from a similar accidental encounter with knowledge might also be a good change. The confusing of the tongues works well if the tower of Bable grew so high they witnessed the entity floating above the sky looking down on them. Sodom and Gommorah could be the result of hedonism compelling an event into being akin to the fall of the Eldar. The tree of forbidden knowledge would be a great recurring symbol, although the other events in early Genesis would have to be fairly heavily reworked, maybe take from the book of Enoch and other apocrypha for this, Lillith in place of Eve willing herself into being moulded from the living clay and then creating Adam. The serpent isn't necessary if there is no warning about the tree. She takes a bite of the fruit and she sees a way out of the demiplane that is Eden, madness consumes her and that is why she escapes and falls. Adam learns from the fruit how to commune with God and becomes the first priest. He is blessed with a new companion, Eve. Travel to earth of their own valition to try and convert Lillith back. Once there meet naturally evolved proto-humans and begin spreading the word. Evolve sufficiently to create what will become remnants, like the idol from CoC. Some catastrophe befalls their civilisation, ancient knowledge lost to the aeons. Rediscovered by Abraham, Noah, Moses and Jesus.

Sorry that the above is such a mess but it's just quickly typed notes and ideas.

How about you just grow a brain and make one up instead of perverting something many people literally hold sacred?

I sincerely hope your fedora tipping group enjoys your game though because I love Lovecraft .

Stays exactly the same but doesn't even think about humanity as anything more than we think of non-malign single cell organisms.

What the fuck are you talking about? I'm christian that believes in God myself. Why should Judeo Christian religions be exempt from simple thought exercise? They won't crumple to dust simply from a group of people having fun making stuff up.

The perversion of the sanctity of humankind and their invention is a pretty major aspect of Lovecraft's work. The whole horror aspect is from the fact that the deification of ones image is a falsehood and in actuality we are likely to be completely alone without purpose or hope. One cannot show that without the violation of monotheism, OP is I'd say being rather clever by altering the reflection of God so that mankind can no longer see in him theirselves; making the once interpretable no longer so. If he can correctly subvert the communion, inbibing transubstanciated food to be one with God, so instead of joining you with the deity it grants you the knowledge you can never connect, isolating you forever, thus driving you away, it very well may be horror perfection.

>cultists who declare that the entity is in fact a blessing upon humanity
>they exhort others to offer up themselves body and soul to the entity

>religion should never be made fun of never ever :((((
So when are you next planning to behead someone for drawing Mohammed?

If you're clever you can try reading the talmud and taking stuff from there.

Lols, love it op.
I cant wait to see this movie!!!!&*&^$$&>_%%

I mean if we are talking old testament there is actually a very good chance they might.

My first idea would be to make a story about someone struggling with their faith, from loss of loved one or some such. Having them mull over the 101 of religious crisis', "why do horrible things happen to good people?". Then have them realise that "miracles" happen seemingly at random, just like bad things. Maybe give them leads towards good people who've had bad things happen to them actually being bad somehow, and vise versa. Have them go on a pilgrimage to find true connection to God. Have them meet religious people who seem to be at peace and leading content lives and who point them towards some hidden secret about way of connecting with God. Then ultimately having the person see the true face of God. An entity so beyond the scope of human mind. Something that can't possibly hope to effect the lives mortal humans. Have the person realise that miracles and accidents truly are random, and that nothing we do matters.

Bonus round: the religious, content people they met along the way know this and have made peace with it. Main character freaks the fuck out about the pointlessness of every day life and tries to tell normal people about it. The cultists then catch them and stab them to death with peaceful smiles on their faces, just to stop the secret from getting out, and to spare the common folk from existential suffering.

I mean the religions, not the people rofl.

>grant us eyes

>eyes on the inside

>Kos

>Or some say Kosm

Have you played Bloodborne? That's how.

ever hear of this guy called job?

I have a question
Jesus was 100% human AND 100% GOD right.
So through the act of Transubstantiation the bread and wine become the literal blood and flesh of Jesus, right.
Does that mean during communion you are literally eating GOD?

it's funny because lovecraft basically said this

Read the comic Nameless, which is exactly about that.

You've heard the old testaments description of angels right? Look up Samael. They're crazy mother fuckers and they are all scared of God.

Basically.

>Transubstantiation

Catholics are l i t e r a l heretics and Transubstantiation is one of their worst heresies.

Prove it.

>Infinite space paradise
>Contains all living things in the world, and also supernatural fruit that grant immortality and true enlightenment respectively
>Invisible and unreachable from the outside, as though geometry warps around
>Sealed behind a gate guarded by one of the aforementioned horrifying angels
Eden isn't that different from a lot of Lovecraft's locales.

Yeah I haven't been turned into a pillar of salt myself, but it does not come highly recommended.

Do you even know basics of Christianity and philosophy in general?

And his angels. Oooh his angels. Burning. Wheels and eyes burning! Embrace them!

Yes
>Catholics are l i t e r a l heretics and Transubstantiation is one of their worst heresies.
pic related

You...do realize that they are spirits and dont have any fixed form, right?

in the bible they do. and they looked terrifying.

YHWH

Read the Bible
Use that
Done

Yes, Thats a projection...from human perspective. Areopagetic corpus is on which entire Christian Angelology is based on. It basically says, that they are spirits and can appear in visions in forms that they desire. The forms described in Bible is more of a symbolisms, rather than some forms. For example four heads of Cherub represents four Gospels, wings represent that they reside in heaven and their spiritual nature and so on.

>And he took bread, and gave thanks, and brake it, and gave unto them, saying, This is my body which is given for you
>This is my body which is given for you

What did he mean by this?

>god not real
its just fiction and using it as inspiration is all fine and well
>god real
its an omnipotent super-being its not going to be bothered by my stupid stories based on it

You could probably make a badass Lovecraftian interpretation of Kabbalah pretty easily

Also Gnosticism is totally lovecraftian.

He's a big guy

Nah, YHWH having eternal and infinite, completely unconditional love for every one of His creations, to the extent He willingly sacrificed Himself to satisfy a loophole He created to allow Himself to allow them into paradise provides a deeply unsettling contrast to the eldritch parts of Him and His angels.

How could we explain away the love part?

Why would you? It's one of the most integral parts of the Judeo-Christian faith, and combined with an eldritch (or, genuine, depending on how literally you take the texts) interpretation of YHWH, it becomes deeply unsettling and compelling reason for cultists to devote themselves to Him mind, body, and soul. Without that, it's just another knockoff Cthulhu Mythos.

>Judeo
>Christian

>its an omnipotent super-being its not going to be bothered by my stupid stories based on it

You say that, but the Bible kind makes this God character sound very... Sensitive. I mean, Satan basically egged him on to totally fuck up Job's life just to prove a point.

Pardon me for forgetting the dash between them. I will commit sudoku post haste.

The Bible reas-as-written describes God as a spoiled child who gets pissed off all the time when his toys don't do what he wants. Genesis alone makes me feel more inclined to favor the Serpent, who led humanity to self-awareness, rather than the Creator, who would have had them remain innocent, naive, and under his thumb.

I'll take my fucking fedora now, thank you very much.

*read

Are you butthurt or serious? He's not really that far off the mark. Old Testement god is a psychotic, abusive dick with unclear and inconsistent motivations. Then there's the behavior of his followers declared to be motivated for religious reasons, which I would argue has had a net negative effect on the world

Discard the goy fanfic and just stick to the Ezekielite canon.

The serpent only tempted them so that they would fall out of God's favor. Luci was pissed about God favoring humans over his number one angel and decided to fuck with them. He didn't want them to have self-awareness, he wanted them to fuck themselves out of paradise.

They say "ignorance is bliss". I disagree. Perhaps I'm biased, but I'd rather have pain, suffering, death, and freedom than paradise.

As a Christian, it's not that hard to imagine.

Look at the concept of heaven. After you die, you're made pure and taken to a place of perfect eternal happiness and oneness with God for all eternity. It's a concept that you can't really wrap your mind around.

Once you're pure and perfect are you really you? Or have you been transfigured into something else? Whatever that thing is, it's probably wholly unrecognizable to the you you are now.

Hell is an easier concept to understand. Humans are intimately aware of what pain and suffering are.

>totally fuck up Job's life just to prove a point.
What's a few years of constant pain and suffering next to eternity?

I always took the story of Adam and Eve to be an allegory for gaining sapience. Once you have the knowledge of good and evil, you're responsible for your actions and a moral agent.

You don't. If you want to make it darker, have it be a more perverse sort of love. Like Nurgle.

>favor the Serpent, who led humanity to self-awareness
Adam was created as master of entire creation of God. are you saying that being, created in image and likeness of God, whose one of the prime purpose is to rule the universe, was not self-aware? What a bloody cretin.

t.dawkins

Receive, consume, digest...

DEFICATE!

>Catholics
And orthodox, and orientals, and church of the east, and lutherans, and anglicans, and...

Catholics didn't invent this stuff, you know?

As much as some people will hate me for linking this site, they did a pretty good job fleshing it out.
tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/EldritchAbomination/MythologyAndReligion

Silly heretic, obviously the true followers™ of Christ are independent fundamentalist baptists of Steven Anderson
Now go worship Pope/Emperor/Monks/Luther/King

Always nice to see papists encouraging cannibalism.

Ty for posting this.

Judeo-Christian-Muslim
Better?

...Yes, that is the interpretation of the bible that many people believe including myself.

Well, I can't recall any biblical occurrence of God rewriting anyone's mind in order to make them love him.... but Yahweh does "harden Pharaoh's heart" so that he decides not to let the Jews go on more than one occasion, which does firmly establish mind control as one of his abilities pretty firmly in my opinion.

Abrahamic is the word you’re looking for, I think.

Go home Derleth, you don't get it and never will.
Knock off cthulhu is exactly what op wanted anyway

>40 replies, already a sectarian argument over transubstantiation

Oh, Christians, you never fail to disappoint.

That's because it's all you know. You were raised thinking that freedom and awareness were the greatest things you could have. You've never experienced paradise. None of us have. It's an alien concept to us because we can't fathom what a world of complete peace free of suffering is like. If anything, it fits into the theme of the thread.

If you take Nietsche's Will to Power, consider that the idea of pursuing "good" is just another entitled stance... such as anti-social/sinister/malice and more socially accepted borderline autistic visions of desirable order... then its all just Will to Power.

Combined with others serving the perceived "greater good", it becomes a cause or force that said deity can endorse. Life is finite, so the mystified causality is antithetical to a human existence and may be a way this mythos YHWH would get souls.. aka more power, not that he eats them but hosts them in an other-centered state to get them to direct their power outward (to him) so that YHWH may have-do more to expand "the greater good".

There, mythos YHWH and it isn't unfailiar or insincere to the scripture/philosophy.

Oh, Im aware but OP avoided it's usage thus I did as well

Gotcha. Wasn’t trying to be a dick, just trying to make life easier in case somebody didn’t know.

No I know, I'd never accuse an anonymous stranger of being a dick

This categorization is bloody retarded, especially when we talk about Islam, that literally has nothing in common with former two, but that they recognize one God (though it's monadic, coming in contrast with Christianity) and prophets that they claim to be theirs and instead of using actual authentic prophecies written in the Bible, believing in meme stories about them from Mohamed. And what is most important, they don't recognize God, as Father of mankind, but just as a slaveowner. So in short, this categorization is bloody abhorrent. I mean Judeo-Christian is also retarded, but the two do have many crossing lines to create categorization like this.

I take it you never read the Bible.

yes

No, I can understand how would one come to such interpretation. But generally there are two views in traditional churches. First being that God simply allowed his heart to become hardened. Second being, well, it's an Orthodox interpretation, that hardening was reaction of pharaoh on Gods operation. Simply put, clay was hardened by sun, not because of sun, but because of qualities of clay.

>Always nice to see papists encouraging cannibalism.
A)I'm not Catholic
B)it's words of Jesus.
Oh but obviously a guy from some kind of McChurch™ in Nevada knows better than Jesus, Apostles and church that actually assembled the Bible.

This my friends is what a brainwashed cultist would say.

As it stands OP this is a pretty good idea.

I am a Christian and the more I think about it, the more Lovecraftian I think it all is.

Unknowable, unfathomable, indescribable and invisible ultra-being creates reality in a manner we cannot comprehend at all.
It then deigns there to be this ornate and completely incomprehensible plan built into reality (or perhaps every action it takes retroactively rewrites reality?) and then creates all laws of reality in order to produce a conscious race so it can communicate its primary emotion, the only cosmic emotion which we as mortal humans can fathom because when you get to the SAN-100 rolls moment you realise /it's the only reason we exist/.
So anyways this entity knows we will gain self-determination and ignore it and then wipes civilizations from the earth etc before entering reality in a Nyarlothep manner (insofar as it still is itself but also exists and communicates in reality as its own words incarnate) and then teaches us that reality is dogshit and an inversion but the true reality is the incomprehensible infinitylands of the ultra-being itself AND WE WILL END UP THERE.
His followers live like dogs on the streets and then he tells them to perform ritual cannibalism (give or take) to invoke him. He then is executed but returns to life and int he process REWRITES REALITY RETROACTIVELY so that humankind is complete and can become minor eldritch entities upon their death if they climb up this spiritual ladder of gradual SAN losses until they become Christ-like. He then disappears back into the unknowable infinityworld, and then his teachings get dustier and more banal and mundane with every generation as people patch over the SAN checks because you don't really overthink it I guess.

Anyway, Christianity I guess is like worshipping a benevolent Azathoth when I put it like that.

(for reference i'm Eastern Orthodox so if my take sounds philosophically off then that's why haha)

Why not just say Abrahamic?

>I mean Judeo-Christian is also retarded, but the two do have many crossing lines to create categorization like this.
The jews of the day of jesus were not the jews of today. It sounds obvious when you say it like that, but today's jews deny it every time it's brought up. Judaism's sacred text, the talmud, came into existance AFTER Jesus, not before, no matter how many times they deny it. The jews in the days of Jesus followed the old testament, the original books, and nothing more. The jews of those days became the christians of today after Jesus. Those that rejected him started writing their own holy books. The rejection of Christ is the root of judaism.

I went with Judeo-Christian because those are the major "white man's religions". Islam already has a huge mysticism factor for people who have grown in the western world.

you are cool

>Judeo-Christian-Muslim
Stop that. "Judeo-Christian-Muslim" is a meme and it has gotten to the point where I even dislike the phrase "Judeo-Christian" because of how it has evolved into something progressives like rather than what it was supposed to mean. "Judeo-Christian" = Christian, the "Judeo-" part simply refers to Christianity's roots in old Judaism. It has N O T H I N G to do with modern, Talmudic Judaism which emphasizes locking out Christianity by emphasisng Jesus was a heretic eternally boiling in a pot of shit.

Because then they wouldn't be able to push the "they're all the same so why not just open your borders you antisemitic shitord!" angle.

Yeah, this. This is why, out of all the kings throughout European history that have deported the Jews from their countries, Saint Louis is the only one modern Jews refuse to call by name: Saint Louis deported them because he rejected the Talmud, not just for "muh greed" reasons.