/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General DnD D&D

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools is currently hosted at lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html, however it could be chopped down at any time. Get yourself a local copy below to be safe.

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Last time on /5eg/: What is the best element and why is it fire? Post fire pics and suggest best ways to play a pyro in 5e.

Other urls found in this thread:

5etools.com
youtube.com/watch?v=LxDZ08Kim_g
fantasist.net/draconic.shtml
dmsguild.com/m/product/179971
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Hey OP, while your 5etools link to the rehost is currently working 5etools.com one is run by the former devs and going to be continually updated.

If I make the next thread then I'll update it.

Haven’t played since 4th ed. came out, old group from years ago say they want to take 5th for a spin. Heard grave cleric was a thing now, how is it? Always liked playing true neutral death priests back in the day.

I love orcs and half-orcs. Goddamn.

I make Tings and I made a Ting...
Plz watch
youtube.com/watch?v=LxDZ08Kim_g

>I love retarded people
wew lad

Shriekers have 6 passive perception. How do they ever catch anyone?

He has come to the right place, then!

Would you rather take one attack at advantage with cantrip damage on top, or two attacks? Assuming the weapon would do the same damage on-hit.

Pretty good, lots of utility stuff and has a nice mix of stopping all your allies from dying, but also being able to fuck up an enemy creature with their channel divinity.

Death Cleric is also a thing in the DMG. Grave Cleric focuses more on anti-undead and helping allies cheat death, while Death Cleric focuses on dealing large amounts of Necrotic damage.

Isn't fire one of the more resisted/negated damage types alongside poison damage?

Death Cleric has more of an Evil feel tho, Grave fits better for a Neutral Cleric imo

Elemental Adept or Pyromancer Sorcerer.

Funny way to say Lightning damage.

It's up there for the worst, but the reason why is nearly all Fiends have resistance to it and there's a lot of those. Unless you play in a pretty much exclusively demon/devil hunting campaign it's not likely to be much of an issue.

Yeah you can really feel the difference between Life, Grave and Death on the alignment spectrum.

Life focuses on keeping allies on high HP, Grave focuses on keeping them above 0 and also killing big things, Death focuses on pure killing. It's pretty neat the way they did it honestly.

Though Good Death Clerics and Evil Life Clerics make interesting characters sometimes.

How do you get the most out of Shadow Blade?

You don't need a Passive Perception check to notice someone who's not sneaking.

Depends. Context? Level?

Cantrip damage scales. Attack damage much less so. I'd probably go with advantage and bonus damage - less swingy and after 5th level comparable.

>This is exactly like a Fighter writing in having his "great-grandpa's Vorpal Sword" into his backstory.

ah no honestly that's easy. the Chadwickus absolutely has great grandpa Wickus's vorpal great sword and when he carries it into battle I will subtract 3 from the to hit and a d6 from the damage until he figures it out. if they want I'll lay out a minor quest to determine that great granpappy was a fucking liar and cheated at poker to win what is essentially a prop sword from an actor the same actor who incidentally cucked your great gammy and is your TRUE grandfather

Be an arcane trickster with booming blade + Mobile. Psychic Sneak Attacks.

advantage probably unless it included a PAM faggotry or something

swing/zap is better RP too IMHO than swingswing

All I want to do right now is play a VHuman Noble Open Hand Monk with Mobile that's just some NG rich kid who really likes parkour. Goes adventuring as a supplementary workout. Not really there for the money, not really into killing things. Great to drink with. Probably named Chad.

Chad the Monkbro.

At the moment, a melee-based Raven Queen Tomelock (with 1 level in fighter for medium armor and Dueling), using Shillelagh to bash people over the head with Booming Blades primarily, while my familiar provides the Help action.
DM will permit me, due to how similar the two are in background with the Shadowfell/Raven Queen stuff to change to a Hexblade Bladelock.
I'm just worried that I'm going to start falling off hard later.
And with the above in consideration too?

What's a good class combination for an older married couple going on one last adventure? So far I have Fighter/Bard or Cleric/Bard

Yuan-ti: would you let him bring a barrel of snakes with him everywhere he goes and train them to do tasks with animal friendship?

You can make anything work. How about you do the smart/fun thing and figure out the personalities of the characters before figuring out their class you min/maxing faggot?

For some reason I'm reminded of Donkey Kong Country.

I really dig the Fighter/Bard combo. Like one of them just wants to let off steam and the other is super supportive of the ass kicking.

Oh, I'm dumb, I just hit 6, which is where the level of Fighter starts happening.

How do I make this stupid motherfucker in 5e?

Wizard/Barbarian

The lady's fun loving and giggly like an old wine mom and the guys gruff and makes dad jokes and looks out for the younger members of the party in a "I'm going to pretend I don't care." way.

>Bard level 10
>Summon greater steed - peryton with custom platemail already active
>Awaken cast on the largest tree or animal I pass by
>Mordenkainens faithful hound
>Spiritual weapon
>Use concentration spell on polymorph or summon elemental(yes I know about summon pixie for 8x polymorph but that would make all my other spells useless)
>Still able to cast spells with all that free damage

Are there any other spells I can use for non-concentration free damage per turn?

Rogue / Paladin

So I was looking at 5etools and reading Firbolgs, and then I didn't believe it so I had to check my book but holy shit.

They get Detect Magic, a super Disguise Self and the one round Invisibility as a bonus action, but all of these abilities refresh on a short rest? They get the equivalent of like 3 first level spells every short rest, plus speaking to animals and plants with advantage, bonus carry weight and are the only race with +2 WIS. Do they seem really fucking powerful to anyone else?

rogue and barbarian

The tradeoff is that they look like chubby english farmers with downs syndrome.

Yeah but they're also dumb. And stupid. Nobody wants to be a firbolg. Ask your average "meme" DnD player if he even knows what's a firbolg is.

In general, when you cast polymorph on a familiar does it use the familiar cr or the hosts since they have a spiritual connection?

Tempest Cleric

I keep getting an error "cannot open RandomSite.rar as an archive" with the 5etools local copy file.

How can I fix this?

Unzip with winRAR, execute with Firefox

To be fair, we only have one picture of them that shows them as chubby downs syndrome people. The one in the book might very well be a fucking freak, in fact the design art pictures someone shared once actually look 100x better.

I like Firbolgs, I feel like they the strong, big and nice guy role that no other race really filled well. Half-Orc being the more violent one and Goliath being the very Lawful one.

I just never realised all those abilities were short rest rather then long rest, and thought they were a fair bit worse then they actually are.

it has to be winrar? I'm currently using 7zip

7zip should work, I just default to winRAR. Though if you're having trouble with 7zip, you might give winRAR a try.

t. totally not a winRAR salesman

>using 7zip and not winRAR
why do you hate yourself user

7zip doesn't work for me, but I installed winrar and that worked for some reason

There's something whimsical about it and now I'm inspired to run a more lighthearted fairy tale/old animated hobbit game.
What other races should I push?
No human/dwarf/half-orc/elf/etc.

Firbolgs are Finns.

Is Giants really that bad of a site?

Impossible. They purportedly form communities and engage in social interaction. Finns must maintain a minimum of 500m of standoff.

Anyone got the Ruins of Mezro PDF?

Nah, include dorfs but nixing those other races makes sense. Include gnomes and halflings, obviously. You might include one Goliath, but make him like that rock dude from The Neverending Story.

Well for races and their role in the world.

Halflings as Halflings, Gnomes as funny little elves, Firbolg as gentle giants, Tritons as helpful ocean people, Goliath as big grumpy mountain men and Bugbears for lazy desert people.

I'd throw in humans as well though, the idea of using all the more exotic races as common ones really appeals to me.

How do I gish? I've been playing a bladesinger for 8 levels and I'm garbage in melee compared to the fighter. I asked my dm if I could have some buffs to bring me up to par, like having medium armor proficiency or being able to use the melee cantrips twice via extra attack, but he said no like an asshole. Help?

in general, you do exactly what the spell says. Polymorph doesn't mention spiritual bonds.

I miss the old 2e art for them.

I remember there was a fairy race in 4e. Is there one in fifth? And I was thinking of maybe having eladrin as some kind of aloof fae court. Sort of being like Elrond or the kinda guys that the party will need to solve a riddle for and gain some vital piece of their quest.

update 7zip to the latest version. don't use trashware like winrar.

You're a fullcaster, the only difference is instead of throwing mediocre damage cantrips while concentrating on something you can instead do reasonable damage with melee attacks have better defences. You play similar to a melee Cleric when you bladesing.

If you wanted to be pure melee and spellcasting you should've gone EK.

>I played a wizard with a meme +AC gimmick and expected to be good at melee because of that
You either play a proper wizard or you play something else.
Paladin, swords bard, sorcadin, EK, warlock5/rogueX or any rogue multiclassing into a caster with extra attack, Arcana cleric using Boomingblade/greenflameblade, arcane trickster are all sensible options.

In Xanathers guide to everything, why is there so many pages devoted to human names rather than names for other races or monsters?

b8

>Arcana cleric using Boomingblade/greenflameblade
I tried this out in a one shot and holy fuck does it work well, even went V.human Magic Initiate to pick up Shillelagh for the meme and I was tearing shit up in melee like the Fighter while still fullcasting.

Because races that mingle and mix with humans (as in any fantasyland) will probably use Human(-ish) names at least 30% of the time.

Because you can use real life human names for pretty much any monster from where those myths come from, including different tribes of elves, dwarves, goblins, etc.

Please respond.

Have people actually been using the names generator at the back of XGE? How is it?

It's fine, just don't read more than the first two pages of any topic, as it will probably be just two autists screeching

>in order to pass a cooking tools check, the player must prepare and bring to the table food which will be rated. The higher the rating the food is, the more likely to pass the check.
>if the party is doing provisioning and a provisions themed survival check comes up, everyone has to prepare and bring some food.

I think this is one rule where we can agree that the players having to do the action IRL is actually beneficial, as opposed to making someone spell out their seduction attempt or move a fridge to roll athletics.

Because fantasy races don't have multiple cultures in most settings, and when they do it's usually just easier to say something like "Dwarfs are German, Elves are French, Halflings are Spanish, etc."
Plus there's a shitload more references to draw on when we start talking about human names so why not?
Also they had to be super inclusive the second they put human names in it because god forbid they be so racist as to forget about fucking Niger-Congo names.

Haha, really? On an actual forum?

No. It is way better than this cesspit of despair of a thread. There are rules there that you must follow, but everyone is more or less more mature, but not by much. It also has a flagrant pony, lgbt and anime community that if these sort of themes gets your jimmies rustled you might want not to mingle too much.

This shit's fucking lame. Who uses real world names?

>giving up relative freedom of speech for biased moderation and censorship.

Feel free to stop posting here anytime, statist cuck.

I used it to make my latest character. I combined Simon (from the bible and the crime of Simony) and the name Sitre for a nice alliteration. Simon Sitre.

Forgotten Realms? Mystara?

Both those planes have had people from Earth living there. There may be more.

It's not terrible, one thing I will say in their favor is about half of them actually know every rule in the book unlike here. Also if you're looking for it their optimisation guides are often good to give a peak to save asking 100 questions. However it's the same as all D&D groups, they are autistic a lot of the time and there are retards.

I mostly only use the website to actually read OotS but when something new comes out I check what they're talking about as well as here.

No one wants to admit he's wrong, especially on the internet

They don't even have a list of names for dragons.

Now that is just plain rude.

I do. Personally I love giving wizards "normal" anglicized names for the sheer juxtaposition. Like you have Barizar Ruggund the mighty Half-Orc barbarian, the shifty Halfling thief, Felicilia Humblehill, Garen Sturdinarr the devout Dwarven cleric, and the great and powerful Human magician, David Stevens.

Is Arcane Archer/Hexblade PotB viable? It seems like it'd be very good for about 4 attacks per short rest but it might be fun.

Luckily when you do it here, no one can bring up that time you argued for 20 minutes that ability checks and saving throws were the same thing, because who the fuck knows who you are.

All the effort and brain power on Gianys is in the 3.5/PF section. The 5E section is full of fucktards that think Bladelock is just as good as a regular Warlock or that 5E Monks are good because (Warning actual argument) you can just use the basic monk abilities as if you didn't have an archetype

>Arcane Archer
I'm still astounded that there isn't a feature that lets you either cast weapon cantrips from your bow or gives you unlimited ammunition.

I'm not sure, maybe? Have Medium armor and a Longbow. Higher Crit rate with the arcane shots with Charisma +1 Longbows. It sounds fun.

See? That is what I think of 3.PF people. You argue too much. You don't play the game, you just bitch about it. When I see your grievous points of argument all I can think of is...

Eh.

I mean, sure, I hate monks, but because they have very little place in my european fantasy game and it pisses me off when my players try to anime my games.

Which feat do you guys think is better for a V-Human Sword Bard starting at level 8: Warcaster or Defensive Duelist? Both are very appealing.

I'm also considering a 1 level dip to Hexblade for those sweet bonuses, to start with Warlock 1/Bard7. Dumb or worth it?

You copy pasted this post from the last thread without adding or removing a single letter.

Should have reprinted the old lists about languages from the magazines.

Like the draconic one which is simplified a bit here: fantasist.net/draconic.shtml

>Can you do GWM vs GWM+advantage vs GWM+adv+elven accuracy?
asking again from last thread

How big of a mistake did I make by handing over the Shield Guardian in ToA without much trouble?

>it pisses me off when my players try to anime my games.

Then allow me to anger you futher.
>Be Blades Bard/Fighter with Booming Blade + War Caster
>Cast Steel Wind Strike
>Teleport behind surviving target
>ACTION SURGE
>Whisper nothing personnel kid...
>Cast Dissonant Whispers
>Hope they fail the save and run
>Cast Booming Blade
>Flourish so hard that you Inspire an ally who saw that.

Warcaster. I don't know many people who find any use for Defensive Duelist especially due to Counterspell.

Anyone tried Necromancy After the Time of Troubles? I want to use it for my next character but I'm worried it's unbalanced and I don't wanna mess up my game.
Link if you're interested dmsguild.com/m/product/179971

>Earth
>Not Oerth

Hexblade would remove most of the problems Valor Bard has, which is being MAD between their attacking stat and charisma.

That said, because Hexblade gives you proficiency with medium armor, shields, and martial weapons, the need to be a Swords Bard diminishes... you might be better off grabbing GFB/BB and going for a different subclass. Which is not to say it won't work well with College of Swords, of course.

Ok, one, nice build! I like what you are going for, it looks pretty cool. And no, it is not nearly that anime.

Two, it doesn't work with BB because, as you can see
"If the target willingly moves before then, it immediately takes 1d8 thunder damage, and the spell ends."
He doesn't move willingly since he "must immediately use its reaction, if available, to move as far as its speed allows away from you." So it is a compulsion.

Still, nice try. I am sure I could improve that build for you, if you so desire. Reminds me of my gatling gun SorcLock. Loved the gif, gonna take it.

I'm planning on running a Curse of Strahd game. Can anyone recommend some books besides I, Strahd to read to get into the Gothic horror setting? I'm nervous about not being able to accurately convey the grimness of the setting. Any form of media really.