>How to Moldlines
youtube.com/watch?v=A4LZ8iCSkeU

>Fuckin Magnets how do they work?
youtube.com/watch?v=w8Tkw7ttTIo
miniwargaming.com/magnet-guide
bolterandchainsword.com/topic/297605-tutorial-magnetisation/

>List of mini manufacturers for converting and proxy
pastebin.com/p6bVhGsg

>Stripping Paint (yes, the ellipses are part of the URL!)
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Dakka_Modeling_FAQ:_How_to_Strip...

>Priming With Acrylic Gesso
dakkadakka.com/wiki/en/Priming_With_Acrylic_Gesso

>Green Stuff Casting
fromthewarp.blogspot.com/2011/11/molding-and-casting-shoulderpads.html
masteroftheforge.com/2012/05/21/rubber-molds-green-stuff/
masteroftheforge.com/2012/07/17/green-stuff-cast-shoulder-pad/

>On the consequences of insufficient ventilation
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chronic_solvent-induced_encephalopathy
hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg273.pdf

>WIP's own 10-point painting scale:
pastebin.com/sxXFfws3

>Previous Threads:

Other urls found in this thread:

haze.airfire.org/airtools/v1/pnw-smoke.html?lat=47.3&lng=-119.5&zoom=6
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Working on a griffin
Fun kit

working on a small mine now ive finished my thunderers.

Third for an attempt

My bretonnians

Another experiment. Tried to make him shipwreck color/themed and ended up with the fourth member of Blue Man Group. Gun and tentacle bits are still WIP. Gonna try to make the base beachy!

Excellent dude. The chest area and the shoulder horns are really good.

nice. love the body, is that kit or ad hoc?

noob question

is it paint, wash, highlight or paint. highlight. wash

it's the model from the old WHFB starters set that GW recently reissued with round bases and a different name.

need to knit an old fishing net from thread

also the pin-striping on the shoulder pads is bugging me, like too wide too planned, matches the weathering on his face mask, I'm trying to understand what's original colors and what's weathering. facemask, helmtop and left boot are top notch with the weathered look.

>είναι το μοντέλο από το παλιό set starters WHFB που GW πρόσφατα επανεkδόθηkε με στρογγυλές βάσεις kαι ένα διαφορετιkό όνομα.

so comes with the trampled body or doesn't come with the trampled body?

>is it paint, wash, highlight or paint. highlight. wash
There is no right or wrong way to do this.

You can do it one way or the other. Washing after highlighting might help tie your highlights together.

Since you ar new I'm just assuming you are starting with a GW and their paints.
Their paint range is designed to help people that want to use the recipes they recommend. That is why they have dedicated base and highlight colors with different opacity.

However there is no singular right or wrong way to paint a miniature.
Some people prime white and use only washes for example.
Some people just use layering without any washes at all. Kev Dallimore and Einar Olafson are good examples of painter like that for example.

Basically do whatever feels right until you get the look you are after.

Ah, I see what you mean. I'll fix that. I wasn't too sure about the highlights since it was all looking a bit samey, needed a seconded opinion. I'll use the original bronze color and dull it down a tad.

>so comes with the trampled body or doesn't come with the trampled body?
no that is a much older metal piece. It's a casualty that was probably in one of the army deals GW did way back. It's probably something form the 90s or around 2000.

while is correct, if you want a really easy flowchart for painting,

base -> wash -> layer -> highlight

>wash -> layer
what

>layer
what is this layer to which you refer

>starting with a GW
nope. I'm starting with some surprisingly top notch random bucket paints and will be mixing my own washes.

then I'd suggest just going into the op and reading the old 2003 how to paint miniatures book.

Got a lot of useful info, including stuff on mixing your own washes.

>what is this layer to which you refer
Uh, it's kind of obvious just by the name. It's what you put on top of your base coat.

I dig it. I never played WHFB but am super sad that Brets got fucked the way they did. I guess you can come play KoW with us cool kids now.

What do you guys think of my Hormagaunt? Fist mini I've painted in 10 years

when i want to do a model in a basic way, like to tabletop standard, i wash for the shadows then do a layer for contrast.

for the layer question, citadel paints are split into bases and layers. layers are just a thinner paint, meant for layering onto other base-coats.

to rephrase, itd be paint -> wash ->paint -> (optional wash) -> highlight

Another shot from the top

Looks pretty good. Now paint the other 75 of them.

Anyone get a PA user with initials jh? I don't trust my neighbors and want to be ready for a package

Thanks! Haha, yeah I got some work ahead of me...

Similar request to user above me. If whoever has Indy-user (I think I'm the only one) could post a heads-up when they send their package, I would appreciate it. It will likely end up going to my apartment complex office and they don't tell us when we get mail. It would be cool if I knew a general time when to start checking everyday. It's cool if not, though, no worries.

oh fuck I misread
I have you, I'm planning on sending it this weekend, and I'm only one state over so it shouldn't take long to ship.

Haha, it's all good my dude, thanks for letting me know.

SECOND WAVE BEGINS TOMORROW BOYS

whats a cool color for the ring of a snow base? dont wanna go with black or white

Would it be too dark and/or glossy if I use pencil/sharpie to draw these kind of scratches? Because my hands are too shaky to brush-draw this much fine line.

Goblin Green

Hey anons, I'm working on my deathguard, and I've been fiddling around with their smoke. What do you guys think of this look? It's just several washes of druchii violet and then a drybrush of white scar. Constructive criticism welcome

I feel like black is always nice, it makes the base stand out - but that's just me. Maybe grey?
Das nice, user. I've been debating how to do the smoke on my DG but i guess you've just solved it.

I don't think pencil would show up that well and would probably rub off. But metallic sharpie might work

using pencils or graphite is a pretty common weathering technique among non-wargamers.
You have to seal it of course, cause it rubs of easily.
So in principle yeah you can absolutely do that.

I don't know it it would show up against the black though. It would not have quite the same look since it isn't as high contrast.

Very nice. I really like that mud on the base. How'd you achieve that effect?

really nice

Thanks, I used Vallejo Thick European Mud for that. Took two coats, as well as Vallejo Still Water for the wet swampy look .Of course, good base coat underneath it is important as well.

Ice blue always looked nice to me.

For Dark Souls user, here's my outrider, thought I'd share. I have the whole set painted but havn't posted as I'd like to rebase them beforehand. If anyone is interested I can post any requests otherwise expect a collage later. Keep at it DS user, you'll finish eventually

Your paint job looks good so far, but I think another wash on the metal bits and uniform would really make it pop.

I really like it. Maybe another color at the base to make it pop a little bit more or do an extra wash for more of a gradient but as it stands it's already fantastic.

I like it. The smoke looks like a bunch of middle fingers.

in regards to the smoke the colour is nice but I don't think drybrushing is the right way to go about it, just looks a bit chalky to me

yeah but from a realistic distance

So I have literally never touched green stuff before today (other than the liquid)

Can any anons tell me if I'm doing alright so far?
First is Bag of Gore and bedroll on my Knarloc conversion

Made a cape and some decoration on one of my Rail Pathfinders, love these guys.

>Dino-riding tau
ey fuck you I was gonna do that

I'm hoping to get at least half decent with this stuff, I have a feeling I'm going to crank out some crazy Tau Auxiliary units once I get past the noob stage of sculpting

suit yourself

Not tau, KROOT. I've just fitted the legs on before I chop them off at the knee and add Kroot legs with blutack. If you've ever seen me posting here before, It'd probably be my Gue'vesa, or my Kroot conversions(while whining that Knarlocs are gone and Broadsides are unusable)

=) my brets are for Kings of war.

Just I have pretty rad movement trays my friend cut for me.

Going to start painting a new tyranid army soon, what hive fleet do you think is the fastest to paint? I was thinking Kraken but I wanted to see if you anons had a better one

I knew a guy who painted billboards. He took on a kid apprentice once. The kid could never understand that each and every drop on the coke bottle didn't need to be perfectly rendered because it was a billboard and nobody was standing on the rail, they were 200 yards away.

There is a thing in art called a reducing glass. It exists for a reason.

The "chalky" is brilliant because it makes it look like smoke when you're not zoomed in to maxres with the mini 12" tall 6" from your face.

But that's like, just my opinion man.

MATE
SERIOUSLY
FILE OFF THE NIPPLES ON THE SEEKER

stack-a-boob

Oh hey, that looks great! Glad to see you are getting some use out of your models. If by some astronomical chance you are in the Seattle area, I would love to smash my hordes of rusty and muddy skeletons into your valiant knights.

Pivot from Glendale, CA, I'm keeping tabs. But if this map says you're good I'm sending this bitch when I get my paycheck.

haze.airfire.org/airtools/v1/pnw-smoke.html?lat=47.3&lng=-119.5&zoom=6

I'm looking to kitbash a necromancer for KoW. I'd like to pose him in a way that he's cutting his arm. Does anyone have a good recommendation for some bitz that would help me accomplish this?

Alaska user your package is on way and tracking says Monday by 20:00

They've been filed off, just haven't taken a new pic

what kind of flock is that in the picture? it has a nice range of brown tones.

That would be weed, my friend.

no idea about the rules of KoW, but can you field cavalry like this?
never the less, nice formation

just prime them black
if you really wanna be more creative, paint some highlights with grey, white, and/or dark blue colors

>that would be weed, my friend
i'm fucking dying

goodnight

so begins a new chapter of my life

CA user here with a spooky surprise for an user in Maryland with the initials MG.

Debating whether to paint him in full saint nick colors or go with a more normal outfit scheme and just the hat in red/white.

user, you are a precious glimpse into the pure. Thank you.

There's a 50/50 chance you mean me, so probably-thanks bud.
I hope it's a pony

Had a strange urge to continue working on my Thanquol & Boneripper after something like 6 months. You have to start somewhere when trying to empty your backlog.

Need to finish doing highlights to armor plating, then i'll move to bronze/copper parts. Cant remember why I've painted some small parts with reddish copper and the big tank thingie in darker bronze, going to paint everything over with that darker color.

Trying to see what kind of blue comes out when doing it the way citadel paint app tells you to do it. I have a calth-worth of marines, and after I found big tub of OG bright green flock I want to paint them as classic 90s Ultramarines. This is close to what I'm looking but not quite bright enough. If anyone has good classic recepies please post.

G from Middlesbrough, did you get my package? Tracking says it was delivered.

what paints do you generally use for a bronze? Do you layer or drybrush?

Layers are either a lighter colour than the base which you apply over most of the mini but not the recesses (which makes the base colour the shading)
or you do the same thing with your base colour but after shading (giving you the same effect of darker recesses)

Thought? I'm going for a desert theme

I go with warplock bronze -> sycorax bronze and use either agrax earthshade or reikland fleshshade between them depending on other colors on the model. Then I either highlight very little with silver/steel if the bronze is fresh and well kept and leave it at that, or do little less highlighting and more oxidizing with nihilakh oxide if its chaos/skaven/plebs having the bronze items. And layering, layering all the way.

I use bronze so little that I havent really done much experimentation with it. If I ever make something like AdMech or whole Skaven army I think I'll try different approaches and see what kinds of effects I can get.

I've started painting my first riptide. I don't know what to think of the colour scheme though. Kinda meh. some critique (other than thin your paints) anyone?

It's simple yet effective, the base is rather boring since the lava is just some paint instead of real modelling. What plans do you have for Sept markings? I personally dislike all schemes that aren't the old Tau desert camo but your colours are good.

Looks kinda flat, blue parts could use brighter highlights to really pop. Might be the lighting in the photo tho.

Also, the orange glow in the weapon needs highlighting to really shine.

Base is neat.

Was intended to Funny how its almost total contradiction to

Oh the base isn't done yet. haven't touched it even. this is from a former project. I probably will do water instead of lava. Sept will be plain and boring Tau white. because I have a shitload of transfers in white.

It's from the old tyrion model. I recasted it

I like the red glossy bits, looks like the texture of a dogs boner protruding out.

jesus christ guys at least call me a faggot or something

Doesn't look bad to me but I wouldn't paint the gun green

It's the slow part of the day faggot. I like the colour scheme but the dots seem slightly jarring and make it look a little like a lady bird. I'd go with slightly different shapes for the markings.

Simple yet effective with good colors, and the base is neat.

The colours seem flat, need more highlights. The base is also boring, it's just painted lava.

Has anyone every tried to get the metallic sheen on the shellac/Carapace bits that you see on beetles. There is some kind of weird paint like this that yo have to buff up with a cloth afterwards can't remember what it's called though....

minor inspiration from another user
I straight up have an image of what you're talking about but no idea where it is

Anyone know of a good replacement for a Hive Tyrant's Bonesword, mechanical or otherwise? For fluff reasons, mine won't be using an average bonesword or bone sabre

ah here we go

Fluff reasons? Its an npc faction, don't try to give them charisma

cool

using a smaller nid as a weapon