Does anyone know any good alternatives to D&D and Pathfinder for playing a medieval fantasy game that isn't GURPS?

Does anyone know any good alternatives to D&D and Pathfinder for playing a medieval fantasy game that isn't GURPS?

Pretty please.

It would help if we knew what you didn't like about DnD so we knew what you were looking for in an alternative.

OP what you want is Dungeon World

It's pretty much objectively one of the best currently out there. It has fast easy to use mechsnics and is perfect for beginners, it's a lot cheaper than most of these other rules bloated systems that cost fifty dollars. There is no reason for extra rules when it is he role playing that matters. Dungeon World is fast and innovative and still feels exactly like the spirit of ADND before DnD 3.5 destroyed the hobby and ruined a generation of role players.

You want fast, intuitive combat? Dungeon World does that.

You want real, deep roleplaying mechanics? Dungeon World does that.

You want great mechanics that reward diversity of play? Dungeon World does that as well.

My last session of Dungeon World my human fighter wrapped a vampire in a bear hug and wrestled him out a window. This is real roleplaying we are talking about here, not babby 3.5 shit. Do yourself a favor and pick up a copy of Dungeon World today, it is an evolution and perfection of the half-formed ideas in Apocalypse World (the game it is derived from)

As says, medieval fantasy is probably the best-represented genre for tabletop games, so you have tons of options depending on what specifically you're looking for.

A few considerations:
1. Rules/crunch heavy, medium or lite?
2. Power level?
3. Realism/magic-saturation

Burning Wheel is my favorite go-to for the genre, but your preferences and needs may differ.

Savage Worlds
Burning Wheel
WARHAMMER FANTASY ROLEPLAY 2E

Old School D&D

Have you considered GURPS?

Shame it's basically just entirely freeform. You might as well save yourself the money.

Fantasy options: warhammer fantasy rpg, burning wheel, retroclones

not options: dungeon world, anything pbta

This. GM with 22 years experience here. (22 of GMing, more of playing).

Use Dungeon World system, but use it in your own setting. Just steal the core of the rules, if you're a regular dm/gm I'm sure you know how to do that.

It's 2d6+appropriate mod, 6- = fail with consequences 7-9 = success but with consequences, 10+ = pure success.

Only players roll.

It is one of THE greatest systems I have ever played. The entire dw book is like a manual on how to be a great gm. The only bad advice I found in there was to split up your players as a 'move' you can make. That's always a terrible idea, unless its VERY temporary, like split them up but in the same room, to solve a trap puzzle.

Other than that, no warnings

The system is built to make amazing narrative with very even pacing and lots of interaction.

Let your players make up as much or as little as you like while still having as much control as GM as you want - but if you're stuck for an idea or etc. you can actually ask a player 'what is here?' or 'why is that?' and have what they say become reality.

I know what I'm saying isn't going to make complete sense without having read the rule book but trust me - its worth your time.

The rule book reads pretty bland and unappealing, that's VERY deceptive. I wasn't impressed by the actual book itself -- until I actually TRIED the system.

Blew me away.

I almost feel like I could never go back to a pass-fail dice system ever again. (Like anything d20, or d100.)

Another system I bought where players do all the rolling is cypher system but I haven't tried it yet.

MAKE YOUR OWN

NO setting or game you find will match up with what you want. People always make threads looking for games, and they never find one they want because they're always one or two little rules they don't like, or its unbalanced, or any number of things like that. JUST MAKE YOUR OWN GAME

It's great practice, and every published game all started as someone's homebrew anyway. Just do it.

Savage Worlds is pretty sweet

Or pay me to finish my RPG ruleset

The Jojo’s rpg.

Risus (evens up)

Dungeon World is just a repacked system dude. Also it does operate on the presumption that the GM needs to make the rest of the game.

The player classes themselves are extremely limited in scope, with every character being almost identical on paper [something people bitched about for 4e, despite each choice having a much larger tactical/mechanical impact].

go to your local bookstore and look through several books for something that grabs you.

My knigga.

BoL (above) is a fine choice. For something even lighter I recommend On Mighty Thews. (A personal favorite.) Both of these are technically intended for Conan style stories, but it's just a matter of re-fluffing things.

And, for something a little crunchier while still being lite you'd be doing yourself a real favor to check out Into the Odd. It's good.

As for DW... Ehhhh. It has it's adherents, but I find it to be rather overworked for a "simple, rules lite system". And, this is coming from someone who greatly prefers narrative systems. It's certainly not bad, but I don't think it's the be all, end all narrative game its fans want people to believe. I also don't think it's all that "deep". In the end depth is provided by the players, not by the system. All DW really offers is some narratively-focused rules complexity, which isn't the same thing.
(Of course, that's just my opinion. You could be wrong.)

Surprised no one have mentioned MYFAROG yet.

>I also don't think it's all that "deep". In the end depth is provided by the players, not by the system. All DW really offers is some narratively-focused rules complexity, which isn't the same thing.

The poster opened up with a “pretty much objectively” in regards to a 100% permanently subjective subject matter, so he’s either a troll or someone who really has no idea how opinions outside of his own even work.

And each and every game is the exact same thing once your players figure out how the game works.

Shadow of the Demon Lord is 5e but better, if you don't want to go too far from the d20.

Just in case you didn't know, you are replying to pastas.

Anyway, DW isn't that bad, it just really isn't that good either. If you are okay with experimenting with the more narrative approach of PbtA games, Broken World and possibly the Fellowship are better.

If's objectively the best, why is it shit?

>Just in case you didn't know, you are replying to pastas.

Of course I did.
Time to go eat some arsenic. I no longer deserve to live.

And now you replied to the wrong guy.

Go, user. It's time to sleep.

Indeed. Not even sure how that happened. Good night, all.

I agree, Barbarians of Lemuria is a great choice, especially if you're looking for a more swords & sorcery feel.

Ars Magica, Mythras

Fantasy Craft, Legend, Dungeonslayers, Beyond the Wall and Other Adventures, Old School Hack, Dungeon Crawl Classics, Apocalypse World: Fallen Empires, Sword World 2.0, Reign, Burning Wheel, Torchbearer, Warhammer Fantasy Roleplay, The Dark Eye, Barbarians of Lemuria, Shadow of the Demon Lord, Splittermond, 13th Age, Dragon Age, Fantasy Age, Maid RPG, etc.

I have heard really good things about Fantasy Craft, Burning Wheel, Torchbearer, The Dark Eye, Barbarians of Lemuria, and 13th Age. Played none of them. Only watched a bit of a couple of them.

Would add Ryuutama, since why the fuck not? It's totally different from D&D or Pathfinder and is fantasy, and that's all the OP seems to want.

Maid could actually be interesting, especially if played fairly seriously. I know there are Warhammer 40k fans who've played it seriously and reported A+ funtimes.

Might as well throw in Meikyuu Kingdom. Half-boardgame/city-builder, half dungeon-crawler.

Risus because it's the easiest system in existence.

Dungeon Fantasy RPG

If you like Tolkien, or like grounded, fairy-tale like fantasy where magic is msterious and subtle, try The One Ring

Memeing aside, what's wrong with GURPS? If you think it's too rule heavy (its not), please check out GURPS lite and check back. There's also the recent Dungeon Fantasy boxset that came out recently that's a good way of getting some fantasy that's D&D like

Freeform point-buy systems are universally garbage. GURPS has no strong thematic elements and is incredibly boring and autistic.

I have seen this pasta so many times that I'm pretty sure that DW is exclusively about throwing vampires out the window.

>Freeform point-buy systems are universally garbage.

Explain how please

>GURPS has no strong thematic elements and is incredibly boring and autistic

It's a toolbox, not a novel

>It's a toolbox, not a novel
Your toolbox is shit.

>Explain how please
It's inherently unbalanced and seeks to assign an objective value to subjective things. Worst of all, it's uninspired trash that doesn't orient itself toward a direction of play.

Damn, you got me, just impeccable

Genesys

What if you want people to actually play it? You might find someone thirsty enough to play something that you just slapped together by yourself, but they probably aren't the kind of players you want.

Yeah, but their system is shit

>
>Savage Worlds
>GURPS
>Genesys

What is with all this generic system shilling? Fuck off, nobody actually likes generic systems, play something good for once

Depends. What are you looking for in a fantasy system, OP?

>if i don't like it then ur a shill!

Thanks for the reminder, forgot to mention Strike!.

Mythras is pretty good.

GURPS is unironically good too

Actual Medieval with a capital M? Ars Magica.

Pseudo-Medieval with an ornate, calligraphied M penned by the Lady of the Oaks on Mid-Winter's Eve?

Pendragon

>Does anyone know any good alternatives to D&D and Pathfinder for playing a medieval fantasy game that isn't GURPS?

Not playing both games is a alternative, like not drinking salt water while stranded at the sea, is an alternative to salt water

WFRP 2E is the best damn system out there, and here's the link to all of the books
Khorne.ru/2nd

Ars Magica

Negatives:
-As title suggests its mostly about mages, you do have non mage characters even sourcebooks about them but the main focus is on mages
-Huge bookkeeping, favors long campaings, many groups create google doc groups-wikipedia templated to keep track of their covenant-lab research etc

Positives
-A very creative magic system
-The setting, its mythic europe a mixture of real world and mythology-fantasy. A game where you can have a political conflict with pope and kill a dragon at the same time.
-The sourcebooks are quite nice, they are both accurately represent the medieval europe but also add the fantasy elements pretty well. I was suprised by the trojan heroes addition to the "mythic medieval greece" sourcebook

RoleMaster, Harn, MERP, RuneQuest. We don’t need no rules light mind control.

13th Age is pretty cool, so long as you're okay with narrative-heavy mechanics and a lot of negotiation with your DM.

Fantasy!
D6 Fantasy

Go away, murderer.

How about a good peasant simulator full of superstition mud and blood in wich the character will inevitably die devoured from abominations lurking by the darkness of the deep forests (or become irrimediably insane)?

If you like the idea give a shot to pic related

Dungeon World is garbage.

The Dark Eye is autism incarnated. While the system has some cool ideas, the mechanical tedium you have to do just is too much. Every fucking check is three dice rolls. It would work far better for a video game.

GURPS core mechanics are garbage, 3d6 roll under is inelegant and limiting and the core attributes are too broad to be useful and but still too specific to be generic.

What's MERP?

Middle Earth Role Play

Basically Rolemaster lite applyed to the Lotr setting

>being this much of a baiting asshole
DW is alright, but it's not the best game out there. The only reason this pasta exists is to rile up those who don't like DW.

Have you considered Fantasy Adventures To Adult Lechery, also known as From Another Time, Another Land?

Dungeon world is a great game for people who don't want to learn about "mechanics" or "read the rulebook". I exclusively play rules-lite systems because I don't want dice to get in the way of telling epic stories XD.

What is a good core mechanical system in your opinion then?

Fantasy Craaaaaft.

Why is 3d6 inelegant? I know "le bell curve" is a meme now, but It's better than 5% per number in my opinion. And what's wrong with the attributes? I mean, I personally don't like the splitting of Strength and Health, and think they should be combined, but that's quite minor.

What's wrong with that though

Nobody plays D6 anymore

2nd for WFRP 2e

Earthdawn is pretty baller. Cool setting, decent to good class balance, awesome magic item system.

friendly reminder that this is virtualoptims stale pasta-bait shitpost and as such, should be disregarded

>a game without circumstantial modifiers

I'll add WFRP as another based d100 fantasy RPG in. But, yes, all of these are good choices (though Rolemaster is a bit too rules-heavy).

>expecting /pol/ddit occupied Veeky Forums to recognize that

Just because he has removed the usual image and formatted his copypasta in paragraphs, doesn't mean we don't recognize it. It's still a welcome opportunity to mock pbtafags.

dungeon world is a serviceable rules-lite system, but in terms of rules nothing too special. the real draw is that it gives a lot of good advice for being a good dm and storyteller baked right into the rules

Please stop false flagging. Nobody is fooled.

D6 fantasy

>Implying this thread isn't a convoluted scheme to shill DW

for me it's a thread to crap on """storygamers""" though

Not that it matters but

>op start a thread asking a very narrow suggestion for a "medieval game"
>second post is the copy pasta of DW wrestle-vampire shill
>various systems were suggested but op doesn't show up
>attempts of baiting with gurpsposting answered only by more generic 'it's shit' respose for maximizing bait
>lots of answers 'stop hurting pbta!'

I may be biased but my impression about is: this thread = flame bait shill

>game that isn't GURPS
Tough luck, kiddo. Sorry for your loss