Stop making card art like this. It does not look good. It will never look good. You are an artist...

Stop making card art like this. It does not look good. It will never look good. You are an artist, not a photocopy machine.

Fucking. STOP.

What's wrong with it?

>When you're too baked to find the light switch

Seems perfectly functional to me. It's a blue counterspell. They can't all be winners, but it's competent and inoffensive which is what really matters to Hasbro.

Matt ward?

>/pol/bait about cardboard quality failed
>Have to resort to this
Gas yourself, pol/shit/ and fuck off to your containment board

>Pol bogeman

How paranoid do you have to be to find pol in a gneric magic art thread

>art depicts Matt Ward
>on a card named Condescend
Yup, that checks out.

Most people don't give a shit. The art's fine. /Pol/ just want to drive MtG into the ground because their jimmies are rustled over some characters not being white, male, or scantily clad.

>He now pretends not to know about /pol/ plan to ruin MtG
Nice try, OP, but you are not fooling anyone.

Oh look it's the "Every thread complaining about MTG is /pol/" fag.
This is Veeky Forums.
Veeky Forums is a small, niche, board that has bitched about everything MTG related since its creation. Veeky Forums is insignificant on the scale of the whole internet; why would someone think making threads whining about dumb shit in MTG would actually have an impact on WOTC?
Get your head out of your ass.
It's significantly worse than the other art, but the iconic masters new art has been a complete coinflip over whether it's going to be noticeably better or or noticeably worse. Complaining that it looks like a bunch of swirly effects that's totally interchangeable with basically every other counterspell is a legit point.

Yes, come bitch on Veeky Forums where the artists and art directors are sure to hear you.
You colossal fucking faggot.

You must be a big pushover if you think complaining can only be relegated to when the people involved in making the game are able to hear you. Not that I expect anything more from you.

You can't complain in reddit or MTGS because they ban anyone who dares say the product isn't perfect and WotC deleted their own forum.

Basically Magic is an echo chamber and the only people who seem to care about the ship running ashore are called /pol/ and told to shut up because pushing agendas matters more than the survivability of the game.

B-But user, it's so realistic! It must be good, right?

Not sure what you're trying to say, but this is actually better imo. All cgi style art for a set like in kaladesh is shite. Have some simplistic stuff like this on a card here and there for variation.

Thread hidden, and saged.

>it's so realistic!
Not even. The pose looks way too stale and unnatural to be realistic.

True. Looks like his arm is coming from his torso.

(OP)
I wish they went for a more illustrative style like pic related.
Not too comicish but still expressive and full of life.

kek

The entire problem is that they go for a style. Look at the earlier sets, all the artists brought their own interpretation to the table, now they're enslaved to the fascist art director

What I literally typed.
I like it better than the original here.

Of course when I went to pick up my copies from my LGS I had to turn them down because they were fucking bent. Wotc really needs to get their shit together on the printing problem but the art is fine.
So what the actual fuck man?

stfu. That art SUCKS. It's literally just a pair of badly drawn eyes. You fucking hipsters are unbearable.

Not to be trolling but that's some weird taste you have there user.
>still as shit
>bland
>awkward posing and anatomy
>cheap fx
>the quote is fun at least
vs
>good contrast but not too pushy
>cool design, recognizable
>more substancial artstyle
>i'd even say that i like better how the textbox is agenced but that's pushing things a bit

It's about the card as a whole.
Not everything needs the disney pixar transformer style scene still describing where in the superfriends saga the cards situation occurs.
The art fits well with the card and the whole style and flavor nicely. A once in a while thing.

Okay, real talk for a second. I know a couple artist who submit art for MTG and I've talked with them about this. While WotC has some of the "best" commission rates in the fantasy art community, it's basically the top of a pile of shit. Their rates don't really cover the standard work involved in a piece. This causes artist to do the minimum amount if effort to fill WotC's requirements. They also have a habit of not paying artists on time, and sometimes not at all. So yeah, it's no wonder the art quality is bad for a lot of cards.

Also the pay is decent but complete shit on whatever royalties should be due to the artist. Oftenj they are not even aware of their art being used on playmats or shit like that.

MTG art has been getting better all the time and it is because they have stopped pandering to people.

>Being this autistic
This is why mtg is dying

>Not everything needs the disney pixar transformer style scene still describing where in the superfriends saga the cards situation occurs.
I agree, but that doesn't mean that every card that doesn't do that has good art.

$1000 to $1500 per commission

Magic card art typically takes 20-40 hours to complete. Not counting the royalties on stuff like playmats, of course.

>doesn't understand flavor

It's more than just the italicized text at the bottom.

Do they even get royalties? i thought i read that they were really hung on that shit.
If so then yeah, this isn't much considering how the illustrations are used.

>$1000 to $1500 per commission
If They get 300$ they are lucky or terese Nielsen. Wizards is not wasting 1000 on a single Card when a set has like 250- 500

Then this is ridiculously low. I work in the art industry and considering in how high resolution and how much the art is used, this doesn't fit at all.
The only reason artists would agree to be payed so low is because they hope that this will give them exposition or because they're magic fanboys. Damn.

Sure, the art (seen in isolation) on WoC is a bit shitty, but it still fits decently enough to make the card good overall flavor wise imo

No one claims what you are describing.