/swg/ Legion and Gunboat Edition

Last Thread: >>whofuckingknows

Post about FFG, WEG D6, Saga/d20, Lego, X-wing, Armada, Legion, and anything else SW Related

Fantasy Flight Games’ X-Wing and Armada Miniatures Games
>pastebin.com/Wca6HvBB

Fantasy Flight Games’ SW RPG System (EotE/AoR/FaD)
>pastebin.com/wCRBdus6

Shipfag's Starship Combat Fixes for EotE/AoR/FaD
>mediafire.com/file/y9w713etmckbs98/Shipfag.JPG
Other FFG SW Tabletop (Imperial Assault, Destiny and the LCG)
>pastebin.com/ZE4gn0yN
FFG Dice App (Works with X-Wing, Armada, the SW RPG system and Imperial Assault)
>mediafire.com/download/64xy3uy6vepll8v/com.fantasyflightgames.swdice.ver.1.1.4.build.9.apk

Older SW Tabletop (d6, d20/Saga, etc.)
>pastebin.com/wXP0LdyJ

Reference Materials & Misc. Resources
>pastebin.com/AGFFkSin

All Canon Novels and Comics (via /co/)
>Someone reported the Mega, it's gone now, RIP.

The Clone Wars Viewing Guide
>img.4plebs.org/boards/tg/image/1442/36/1442364889994.png
Writefaggotry
>pastebin.com/Un1UhzZ4
Shipfag's hangar
>drive.google.com/folderview?id=0ByhAdnTlOKOeQnA4SFByUC1aQWM&usp=sharing

Heroes of the Aturi Cluster, co-op X-Wing campaign
>dockingbay416.com/campaign

I scrubbed the OP for movie release season. Today is the next preview (movement/combat) of Legion, and the Gunboat/etc have hit the shelf. What're your thoughts on either?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=IEZZjYneQqQ
outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/10918-star-wars-the-force-awakens-had-more-cgi-than-the-phantom-menace
youtube.com/watch?v=FR9cunbntRY
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

For the Emperor
(The real one,not the scrotum star shits emperor of nothing)

>I scrubbed the OP for movie release season.

You star.

The Gunboat gives me an erection.

Is it weird that I think the prequels make a better platform for EU content then the originals?

The prequels absolutely do. You can have all sorts of stories told even before the Clone Wars start. Meanwhile in the OT, you're essentially either an Imperial, or trying to get out from under the Imperial boot.

And the prequels also have lots of great jumping off points for What Ifs. You remember the Star Wars Infinities comics? Where they took a point in the film, and diverged and told a different story from there? They never did those for the prequels, and I doubt they're ever going to happen now.

Not with Disney riding that one trick "we're not the prequels" pony

Doing the Lord's work cleaning up the OP, user.

What is your opinion on the Flight Assist Astromech? I stopped playing X-Wing a while back, but a part of me is tempted to get my hands on some of this astromech and muck around with X-Wings and Y-Wings.

>Implying that some random technobarbarian could beat Sheev

The fact that you guys go to such lengths hiding your general that "Star Wars" doesn't appear once in the OP is pretty autistic.

>Lego
Bought an AT-ST on clearance.
Boys seem to have a lot more moving parts than when I was a littlun. Shame the minifigs were kinda trash for it.

>Gunboat
mount c: c:\COMMENCE THE ATTACK

I think FAA will make X-Wings the best they have ever been.

>"we're not the prequels" pony
>with four different characters in the GCW era lifted from prequel sources and Kanan
>as we're just getting off a Darth Maul pre-PM comic, in the middle of a Mace Windu comic, and with the current Vader comic being run literally seconds after ROTS ends and being about hunting down Jedi that survived 66
>with several books on the subject including one involving fucking thrawn that's going to be partially prequel-based
>with the second movie they've made literally being a prequel
555_COME_ON_NOW.holo

How do you like your Twi'leks /swg/?
Green? Blue? Red? black and blue?

Tomboyish

Is it autistic to seek shelter from the coming storm? We saw what happened with TFA.

Excellent.

Hey guys.
Hey
Hey guys!

I know why Lucas was so dead set against any writer touching upon Sevs fate after Republic Commando.

You could have prevented this. If you just disobeyed Yoda none of this would have happened.
I figured the headwound and was from the seppies ripping out his brainchip and the gauntness from a decade or more in a seppie PoW blacksite

It’s dissapointing that TIE Fighter memes aren’t a thing.

Im talking mostly of the overt marketing more then anything else

It's not our fault that mountains of autistic /tv/posters flood the board, user.

The OP has the relevant names of all the Veeky Forums relevant content you might actually come to the thread for.

FFG should release "era tiers" for casual / non-OP tournament play, that just restrict ships/upgrades to certain periods of time

Twi'leks are just overrated whores. Togrutas are where it's at senpai.

youtube.com/watch?v=IEZZjYneQqQ

Why should they? People already do that anyway. OT tournies are neat.

Storytime, please?

Shit, meant to link back to the post in the last thread when someone mentioned running a Protomen-inspired AoR game.

I'll go with blue.

Complete the sentence:

"Alpha 1..."

People would do it more.

"Rita's escaped. Recruit a team of TIE pilots with attitude."

>TIE pilots with attitude

>Grand Admiral Zaarin emerges from a hole in the ground
>"AH, AFTER TEN THOUSAND YEARS, I'M FREE! TIME TO CONQUER CORUSCANT!"

>tfw they wanted to stay away from the prequels so much that they had more CG and less practical effects

that's not true tho

The Comic-Con 2015 Sizzler Reel literally had Mark say "Real sets! Practical effects!"

And yet, TFA has huge amounts of CGI, even more than the prequels did.

>And yet, TFA has huge amounts of CGI, even more than the prequels did.
that's not true tho

You are a gentleman and a scholar.

Yes, it absolutely is. Look at the behind-the-scenes materials for the prequels and for TFA. TFA has far more green-screen, in far worse areas. It just LOOKS better because CGI has advanced that far from 1998 to 2015.

thats not true tho

Prove me wrong.

Real stormtroopers suits

For like forty dudes. Each of the prequels has hundreds of people in distinct and elaborate outfits.

Also, not every trooper in TFA was real. They copied and pasted huge groups to make the Rally.

TFA had practical sets and puppets.
Like Jakku scavenger grounds, starkiller forest, mazs cantina, etc.
Most aliens were puppets or dudes in suits.

Now go watch the behind the scenes for the prequels.

Actors standing on green blocks, in green rooms, talking to characters in green morph suits. Literally. Every. Scene. The only time I think the prequels were shot on location was tattooine.
They also had puppet yoda but that was an abomination

not a single trooper in the prequels was real

Tattooine. Every sequence on Naboo that wasn't a wide-angle shot, was shot on location in Spain or Italy.

TFA had tons of stuff that wasn't practical.

The prequels had tons of stuff that actually was practical, miniature sets that they built and inserted the actors into.

The diner, for example, had a full-size interior. The exterior was a bigature.

The Theed City flyovers were all bigatures, as was the podrace arena. As was the Utapau flyover.

All the ship interiors were practicals, as were literally all the buildings, using CGI for backgrounds.

Ian McDiarmid hated the take that George used for the Opera scene because his throat was irritated from the sawdust left from building the set.

Not my point.

boards.theforce.net/threads/practical-effects-in-the-prequels-sets-pictures-models-etc.50017310/

Prequel practicals, but of course this doesn't count because muh pure CGI army.

>Not my point.
no, it's my point, because you're wrong.

TFA had plenty of practical costumes, so did the prequels, but EVERY costume in TFA was practical while half the shit in the prequels was not.

the entire sequence of geonosis (which is the whole third act) is CGI, all of mustafar is CGI (again most of the third act), every battle droid or clone trooper is CGI

you're not arguing facts, you just don't like TFA so you're making shit up because you want to discredit it.

that just makes it look worse. transplanting actors into miniature sets is not an improvement over TFA's actors in 1:1 sets.

The prequels had shitty cardboard acting despite having talented actors, and one of the many reasons is an over-reliance on green screen sets. You can have bad acting on real sets, and you can have good acting on green screen sets.

This argument is bad and you should feel bad.

Nope. I don't like TFA, but I also recognize that the prequels had far more practicals than you or a good portion give them credit for.

Also, a good portion of the Geonosis section - including the arena itself, was practical. They built a miniature arena for the flyby, and built sets for the interior shots. The factory sequence is the only part on Geonosis that is mostly CGI.

I'm not saying it didn't have practical elements, I'm saying TFA didn't have less practical effects than the prequels. that was your claim, and you've been unable to back it up.

in addition I'm claiming that TFA used its effects *better* because key sequences in the prequels look laughable, such as the arena fight, the factory chase, and the mustafar fight, because the actors are poorly transposed and/or have poor references to interact with. the geonosis fight literally is just a bunch of extras running around in front of a green screen swinging props at nothing, and it shows. badly.

outerplaces.com/science-fiction/item/10918-star-wars-the-force-awakens-had-more-cgi-than-the-phantom-menace

Did someone have that webm showing the greenscreen in TFA? Fuck those space battles and rathtars too.

See

Quit your fanboy sperging and post ships

see

>prequels have shit acting but good actors
>disney has shit acting from shit actors

whoa now, I enjoyed all the space battles in TFA. Say what you want about the acting and overall plotting, the actual movement of ships and the back and forth to keep things tense was pretty well done.

It was fake on so many levels. Did they even make minis of those ships?

It’s better by a longshot. The sets actually look good.

>EVERY costume in TFA was practical
Including Kylo’s mask?

no, but its pretty clear CGI has improved massively and at least part of the benefit from that is being able to match the best fights in the original trilogy and at the least matching the prequel trilogy while also being able to set these battles in locations that would have been much more difficult using models.

>tfw your shipfu will never be in X-Wing

I'd even settle for her just being a title at this point. The Avenger needs more love.

The acting in TFA was many times better than in the prequels. It just still had poor writing.

Don't let the cardboard acting in the prequels lower your expectations too much. Neither were good, it's only when compared to the prequels that tfa looks acceptable.

>mouth open, eyes out

so where's this week's legion preview by the way

it's a low bar

I got some.

The fact that literally no Clone Trooper armor exists because ALL of them were CGI is just fucking inexcusable though, IMO

It really is fucking baffling. There is an absolute zero percent chance making the costumes would've cost more than the CGI, not that budget was even a consideration for a Star Wars movie.

>superlaser is CGI
HOW COULD THEY

Reminder that the first Death Star was a physical model, not CGI

Didn’t TPM alone have more sets and practicals than the OT combined?

What city has looser slots, Worlport or Canto Bight?

>we will never watch Noghri guards takr vengeance upon the traitorous son of lady vader

So how's the Phantom II? I love flying the original Attack Shuttle so I'm pretty excited to get my hands on this little guy too.

Always been a green man.
Hera currently my star wars-fu given the last two died.

In terms of effects I'd kinda rate the prequels and sequels as a give and take, despite more wooden acting from the prequels I give them more points overall for trying to tell a different story from the originals trilogy, effort was made in the writing instead of taking the quick and easy path of rehashing

The overt marketing with the podracing flags and the prequel lines from obi?
That prequel-hating marketing?

I saw none of this

By the numbers it's probably the cheapest and best support ship in the game. Crew and Astromech slot give it lots of varying rolls it can perform, from Stressbug to Coordinate platform. Zebs filler, but pretty much everybody else has uses: AP-5 let's you destress and coordinate ships, Ezra is a great fit for the classic R5-A3 stressbot combo and Fenn Rau is a great defensive tool against token heavy aces. Heck, I think he even works against Keyan Farlanders ability which usually gets around that sort of bullshit.

That said, it's just a support ship, you need to build something around it that works with it. Something most likely now without the safety net of Biggs.

Does it still work with the Ghost? Yes, but the Mark 1's extra Firepower is still a better option.

The first teaser trailer for TFA, when we first saw the flags for Maz's castle, had a bunch of flags from the prequels and EU, including Anakin's podracer flag and the Mandalorian mythosaur skull among them.

Mysteriously, those were removed from later trailers and the film itself, even though the actual shot is unchanged.

One of the first lines from TFA is "This will begin to make things right" - a rather unsubtle nod to the prequels if you look at it disfavorably, not unlike how (more recently) Justice League's intro has a man with a sign saying "I tried" at the same time Joss Whedon's name is on the screen.

not that user, but Maz's castle has some of the same flags from TPM's podracing scene, and one of the faint voices you hear in Rey's dream sequence is Ewan McGregor

>Justice League's intro has a man with a sign saying "I tried" at the same time Joss Whedon's name is on the screen.
hahahaha seriously? joss is such a hack these days

>want to get back into X-Wing
>fond of both Rebel and Imperial designs and playstyles
I haven't bought anything since Inky's TIE. If I were to pick up a single ship from the new wave, would the Sheathipede or the Alpha StarWing be a better standalone addition to an older squadron?

Dude tried to blame the patriarchy for making him cheat on his wife. I’m surprised he still has a career at this point.

>mysteriously, those were removed from later trailers and the film itself, even though the actual shot is unchanged
some bullshit about how 'i didn't want to have the movie be about podracing (????????????)' from Jar Jarbrams
A couple of the less obvious flags are still there iirc

Both are ships that can be bought more than once imo.

Phantom II might be the better as a single support ship for the Rebels. While it's certainly possible (and viable) to make a list containing a single Star Wing it certainly benefits (not to mention, seems fun) to fly multiple, mostly because of the different options you have with the titles

Any good overview video for Armada? My GF has read the rules and wants to give it a try but I need something to encourage her

>Something most likely now without the safety net of Biggs.
I haven't played in a few months due to life but I just looked this up, and wow. They actually changed Biggs.

On a semi-related note I really wish they'd reprint old cards with the new errata. It's such a pain trying to remember this shit.

What'dya mean by video overview?

Tutorial? Battle report? Hype video?

>Tutorial? Battle report? Hype video?
Something to sum up pros and cons but with showing some stuff actually. Something like this but for Armada I guess youtube.com/watch?v=FR9cunbntRY

>'i didn't want to have the movie be about podracing
Initial P and Eurobeat Imperial March when?

Dude jar jar doesn't deserve that comparison

They did with Advanced SLAM for the K-Wing

We're gonna start an edge of empire SW RPG campaign.

First time playing SW.
I'm playing a Quarren explorer trader designed after Colin from Xenon 2 megablast (pic related). "Too-Nonn-Xe"
Friend 1 is playing a Chiss Colonist Scholar
Friend 2 is playing a Gungan Smuggler Rogue

I chose social mental attributes and a focus on negotiations. No combat. GM is pretty flexible, usually has a focus on political intrigue but said he will try to keep that down this time.

Am I fucked because inspiration struck me because the Quarren kinda look like the dude from the 90's computer game?