Pathfinder General /pfg/

Pathfinder General /pfg/

Do you play with artifacts or cursed items in your games?

/pfg/ Link Repository: pastebin.com/YLikTing

Current Playtests: pastebin.com/vK9njh31

Old Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

frc.wikia.com/wiki/Dumathoin
archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Ranger Sword-Devil
archivesofnethys.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Quarterstaff of Entwined Serpents
d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/armor-master-regional/
strawpoll.me/14579256
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Fellas, level with me.
Is it gay to play a Bard?
I mean you basically pretending to serenade other dudes.

We weaponized a cursed robe in 3.5. The robe of... I forget. -10 on int if you wore it.

>Grapple
>Apply robe
>Most physically capable enemies have like 10 int
>If they're a spellcaster, now they just lost all their spells

>The robe of... I forget
Sounds like you used it at least once yourself, then.

Fellas, level with me.
Is it gay to constantly wonder if things are gay?
I mean, you're basically thinking about gay things all the time.

Yes.
Yes.

Not if you sing songs about manly things.

Heavens no, atifacts must be safely destroyed or handed over to the most responsible and capable hands available until their means of destruction is discovered. What do we look like, the villains?

Fellas, it's a wonderful life
But I ask, is it worth a the risk of a knife?
I had a beauty in the bar, asked her to be my wife
Turned out she had a penis and stabbed me with it;
it's simply not worth the strife.

You might be right.

Quick question

What's your first purchase as a melee character? A breastplate? Do you save it for some big item? Cloak of resistance?

Masterwork weapon if I don't already have one.

Once masterwork weapon and armor are secured, cloak of resistance is next on my list.

Only campaign I could run would be some fucked up shit, Holmes. Nobody appin to that.

Fucked up in what way...?

>Only campaign I could run would be some fucked up shit, Holmes
>Holmes
Doctor Watson, I know the war affected you, but you mustn't let it hound you your whole life.

>take the Medicinal and Regenerate drawbacks for Life Sphere
>grab Fount of Life
>have Barroom sphere
>I have to take a shot of healing magic and wait for it to kick in, so I can make more shots of healing magic
>mfw this is the kind of party healer I'm making

I'd hope you were gay! I mean, what kind of person wants a sad bard?

How do I mesmerist correctly?

use magic to date rape enemies

>GM thows an unavoidable and impossible to escape monster that deals 80 damage on average and with 30+ AC and that always saves and that laughts with 200 damage
>Against a group of lvl 3s
Wee lad, I wasn't sure I have enough time to play this game, I'm now sure I don't want this game in my life

The monster btw was a medium sized "human" but in reality had reach 15 with daggers, teleports at will and moves, with pounce, 90ft at least

Don't play one in an Iron Gods campaign.

Take Psychic Inception as your first bold stare. Take Astounding Avoidance if none of your buddies have evasion or stalwart. If you really like trick feats, take Vexing Trickster. Invest in CHA to everything

Storytime?

What if you get VMC Impossible Sorcerer which lets you use compulsion against constructs?

>What if you get VMC Impossible Sorcerer which lets you use compulsion against constructs?
you don't get a Sorcerer's Arcana from VMC

Sadly didn't have a pathfinder game recently and cursed items or artifacts have never popped up.

I recently purchased Book of the Damned 2017, the only thing worth it in there are the lists of redone Obediences and updated classes.

I am dissapointed by the amount of reprint and introduction of bad new art.
Charon and Szuriel are the worst examples but they also replaced good art with mediocre ones like Dispater and Baalzebub.

Also Szuriel worshipping Souleaters lost that +4 magic weapon. how can you do a non spellcaster focused guy with this?

In any case, I try to make a fluffy fighter focused on the Obedience feat and the Boni it brings.
I just feel non-casters get really shafted here.
Diabolists,Demoniacs and Souleaters all incorporate spellcasting.

The Sentinel is fun, but it is really annoying how to align fluff, favoured weapon and good obedience Boni.

Any advice on how to do it beyond asking your GM to allow you some small indulgences?

For example I really mammon lore and sentinel obediences wise but maan...Shortspear as a favoured weapon SUCKS.

You do. Sorry Marky-boy, go back to working on abortions like the Kineticist.

What's the funnest way to play/make a psychic warrior? I want to rip and tear people.

Any specific feats I need in my life? A weapon of choice? Is it worth investing a feat into medium armor proficiency so that I don't have AC worse than a naked wizard with 14 INT?

Natural attacks + self buffing. You eventually get better spell combat so buffing your self before a full attack becomes easy.

Natural attacks like claws of the beast and bite of the wolf, right? I imagine expansion for +size as well? Do I just augment claws and bite and go full ham or are there other tricks to natural attacks?

Magic items, like the ones that replicate claws of the beast but can be any limb attacks like slams or tentacles that go on your feet to get 5 nat attacks, then form of doom for another 4 for a total of 9 attacks.

I'ts not complicated. Buff while ripping-and-tearing

Ah, I wasn't aware the claws of the beast magic item could be used as part of a claw/claw/bite natural attack, but i'll snag those up for sure.

Hope the game ends before everything you end up facing is immune to mind-affecting.

Should I bother trying to recruit from /pfg/ if I'm only planning on 1PP?

Might as well, /pfg/ apps are still better than R20 randos on average.

I mean, the devs have have said you don't. Your DM can house rule otherwise, but rules is rules.

Personally I'd be down for a 1pp game. I'm getting exhausted with 3pp stuff everywhere.

Is it ever worth taking a heavier armor proficiency for a psychic caster since they provide no penalty or is it better to just take a dip despite losing out on spell progression? Not going heavy armor on psychic levels of wasted feats, but medium armor mesmerist and heavy armor occultist type dealio.

just case inertial armor lmaooooo

>the only thing worth it in there are the lists of redone Obediences and updated classes

A lot of them are shit, from what I hear. What's your take? Any of them stand out, for better or worse?

>I am dissapointed by the amount of reprint and introduction of bad new art.

I hear that a lot, too.

>Also Szuriel worshipping Souleaters lost that +4 magic weapon

What was it replaced with?

>Diabolists,Demoniacs and Souleaters all incorporate spellcasting

I know this isn't the point of your post but I think it sucks what happened to the Diabolist. I hear Souleaters got shafted too. I wish Paizo didn't nerf everything it touched.

>Shortspear as a favoured weapon SUCKS

I tried to find something that would help, like a specific magic spear, but the only one that seems to exist is the crappy Onyx Spear.

Same.

If you get your armor's ACP down to zero, then there's no penalty for not being proficient, so I would recommend just using whatever armor you can manage to get ACP down to zero. Making it out of Mithral, having the Armor Master trait, the Nimble armor modification, masterwork armor... There are a handful of class-independent ways to reduce ACP and probably some more I don't know of; it's even possible to get full plate down to an ACP of zero.

Ok, after looking over stuff like Anima Blade, Spiritual Blade, Blade Adept and so on, is it just difficult to find classes that are mostly martial with an intelligent weapon? I did find two Fighter archetypes that does just that but I seriously have questions about the idea of taking Fighter to 20. I am mainly talking about Spirit-Wielder and Steelbound Fighter.

Anima Blade/Mercurial Duelist Vigilante is pretty nice but unfortunately the social aspect would be utterly wasted given I am genning for a dungeon crawling game

What kind of Starfinder character would your Pathfinder character make?

Doomslayer

We're playing kingmaker , the third chapter, and we faced the other day a Cyclops with 500+ HPs, Saves of + whatever needed to save everything, and 5 attacks that dealt your HPs+you Con each, speed more than yours, pounce, stand up as free action, etc

If you don't want to keep GMing say it, don't be a dick.

>but unfortunately the social aspect would be utterly wasted given I am genning for a dungeon crawling game
Consider asking about Exposed Vigilante; you have only 1 identity, and plenty of the Social Talents are perfectly-usable in a dungeon (Social Grace giving you a +4 to upwards of 5 mental skills that isn't UMD is a fantastic option for instance; +4 to Perception, Survival, Sense Motive, Spellcraft, and Knowledge: Planes for instance is fantastic for any dungeon-crawler).

>like LG because I like the idea of a selfless hero helping people and saving innocents
>Realize it's going to live a short life and amount to nothing

It amounts to an LG god smiling upon you and ascending you to paradise and since this isn't real life people can actually prove it instead of vague hopes of it happening whether or not it is real.

desu the only 3pp I'd ever really insist on wanting to have would be Jolly's Vigilante stuff, but that's just because I want to play a Warlock or Mercurial Duelist in an environment where they're not made completely redundant.

That's quitter talk! It's in fact BECAUSE life is short and meaningless that you in fact have room to CREATE meaning! Now get out there, ham it up, save some lives, and make the world a better place, dammit!

If there was anything I realize, in general, one life might amount to nothing much in the long run, but in general people are too selfish and have enough of an identity to refuse to just sit by and just wait for it.

>be LG
>try to save people
>Gm tells me I shouldn't
>die because encounter is impossible
Being Good is suffering

Being LG does not necessarily mean being stupid though. If an encounter is impossible, maybe try to find a way to save people without dying yourself. After all, you give the cause of Good nothing if you end up not only failing but also dying while achieving nothing

>Being LG does not necessarily mean being stupid
Tell that to the glorious reclamation.

>Thinks his life is more important than the others
>Good

That would be cowardice, I am not saying that you should run away yourself

Glorious Reclamation is what we call "Lawful Stupid." Well don't talk about them.

Anyone can do good when there're no risks, but those who do good while facing the impossible are truly heroes

Souleater used to be cleric BAB, now wizard. You can't enter early dues to skill prerequisites. The casting requirement is actually quite small (two necro spells of different levels), but it's just an added hoop that barely matters. Enervation is now 2/day, maxing at six, instead of at will. The Create Soul Gem nerf might also affect the cacodemon's ability, but I'm unsure. Any other nerfs I'd have to look at the old one to compare.

People were going to die, if I didn't act at that time they would be dead, in fact many died anyway.

No that's where the Lawful part comes in, user.

I love how people keep trying to bring up that and Iomedae as examples of why all LG everywhere is really CE in disguise. Jacobs really did a number on this community.

For an Invulnerable Rager, is it really that bad to be dumping Dex as a stat? Barbs seem to have terrible AC anyway and if you are focusing on Strength and Con, wouldn't an 8 or a 7 be fine? Early levels might suck, but once you can boost up the Medium amror, wouldn't the - 1/-2 be a drop in the bucket?

Futhermore, how bad of an idea do you think an Invulnerable Rager who eschews armor and armor class entirely is?

A LG should always put his life before anyone else's, after all, if he dies he can't save innocents, so prioritize your survival.

OK, BAB is actually the same, my bad. The new souldrinker loses the ability to summon daemons at 8th and the ability to spend 10 soul points to res their familiar. All the greater oblivions got changed.

Apollyon—creeping doom (DC 10 + the souldrinker’s class level + her spellcasting ability score modifier).

Replaced with plague storm spell.

Charon—Gain fast healing 10 for 10 rounds. This counts as a 6th-level spell.

Replaced with wither limb spell.

Szuriel—Greater magic weapon (+4 enhancement bonus). Like a paladin with a weapon divine bond, the souldrinker can use the enhancement bonuses to add any of the following weapon properties: mighty cleaving, unholy, vicious, wounding.

Replaced with blade barrier spell.

Trelmarixian—horrid wilting (DC 10 + the souldrinker’s class level + her spellcasting ability score modifier).

Replaced with quickened feast of ashes spell.

So, yeah, just a general downgrade that I never intend to use.

I'd point out that Create Soul Gem was nerfed and so was the Talisman of Soul Eating, which use to explicitly work like a Cacodaemon's ability but now casts Create Soul Gem. So the fact that the changed that, but didn't change the Cacodaemon itself, makes me think they purposefully meant to leave Cacodaemons as they were. I'm still pissy about it though because I wanted to do some soul-stealing and selling as a non-daemon worshipper and now it's a lot harder. Not impossible, but there are more hoops to jump through now.

I like talking about them. It's hilarious that a religiously-motivated group could be so out there that even their goddess disowns them. Strange that the clerics among their number still get spells, though...

We haven't been doing trumpet memes in forever though user. It use to be cool to hate on Pharasma too, remember?

What would be a good rival for a dwarven OD (focusing on PF and SC) // Forgemaster (Cleric) of Dumathoin (god of buried wealth, ores, gems, and mining)?
>frc.wikia.com/wiki/Dumathoin

According to Unearthed Arcana:
>NPCs: An important aspect of most campaigns is verisimilitude—which is centered on the notion that everything in the campaign world is obeying the same set of rules. Accordingly, any important NPCs in your game should also be gestalt characters.

I want to make her a dwarf that's somewhat avoided in her enclave because she uses Psionics. The classes I want to use (Tactician, Psion, Warlord) for her aren't really dwarf-friendly, other than Psychic Warrior. I imagine her to be a commander-type NPC that directs other NPCs. She will oppose the PC by excessively mining gems to power her psionics while the PC's deity demands they be left in the ground.

She might become a love interest.

I thought its not cool to hate on Death and its deities in general? There's nothing to be gained to hate on a representation of the end-goal of everyone

Except for some versions of Elans I guess and their actual immortality

Man, and I didn't think most of those abilities were THAT good to begin with. Or at least, they weren't very interesting, Apollyon and Trelmarixian's in particular.

People didn't like Pharasma for a while because she's all high and mighty about being the judge of souls, basically all the other gods and even outsiders have to walk on glass around her because if she hoses the flow of souls to their domain they are SOL. Also because necromancy is "always evil" instead of "usually evil" seemingly just because Pharasma says so.

The problem is that Pharasma has been written into a corner by Paizo, to the point that she seems immoral and selfish rather than simply amoral and aloof.

Personally, I think it's that people conflate Golarion's cosmology with something like Faerun's, where there's bullshit like the Wall of the Faithless and souls are judged in a more unfair way.

>Be Paladin
>Try to be good
>GM seems to be annoyed at this
>Attacks my char everytime he can
>Absurds amounts of damage that clearly are fudged
>Well, hero's defiance saves me
>Suddenly damage surpasses my HPs by double
I hate that playing heroes is seen as something bad nowadays, is like he wants me to minmax a murderhobo, but I know he'll also get mad at this

Has anybody ever tried the Sword-Devil ranger archetype? It seems like an interesting blend of all the things I like in a melee character.
archivesofnethys.com/ArchetypeDisplay.aspx?FixedName=Ranger Sword-Devil

He's probably either a fan of G.R.R. Martin or Gen Urobuchi. Thinks "heroes" are fundamentally stupid, or that they're deluded hypocrites, or both. Don't play games with idiots like that.

At least on the upside, classes like Soul Weaver and White Necromancer exist nowadays. Not to mention 5e actually moved healing spells back to "Necromancy", so you obviously cant claim that its EVIL

Given this seems to be a story I hear often, I guess I should be glad that the people I play with like the idea of being a legitimate hero in general instead of "typical murderhobo" hero or hero in a Greek sense

>Soul Weaver
>White Necromancer

Wha...?

>5e

Oh. What's anything in 5e got to do with this discussion?

> GM rolling behind the screen

I thought the 'good guys' in Song of Ice and Fire eventually get to payback the villains in general after a lot of suffering? Urobuchi also eventually got better about it once he got over his depression

You know the cherry on top, though? To compensate for the Create Soul Gem nerf, they made a level 9, NINETY MINUTE fucking occult ritual that can make permanent gems.

And you either have to kill the creature during the ritual or stop everything and start it within a minute of killing the target.

And due to being a ritual, it has overtly bloated skill checks you have to make, maybe with the assistance of UP TO 12 SECONDARY CASTERS! That gets me.

..and you take a negative level even if you succeed!

..and you summon psychopomps of total CR to the target if you fail!

Balance!

Even if that were true, nobody who's a fan of those hacks really thinks much of heroism. They've been taught by the holy gospel of despair and nihilism that won them over that only schemers and shitters ever prosper.

Seriously, nihilism is overrated. Even if I do like to generate or play edgelord characters, it's just freaking too depressing to be an actual nihilist

It's pretty neat, I'd play one. But it has some strange leftovers like Camouflage and keeps stuff like Woodland Stride and Wild Empathy even though they don't really fit with the new stuff, personally, I would probably house rule some replacements for those

>still a change at getting permanent soul gems

For the sake of my enemy's suffering, it may still be worth it. I don't remember much about rituals, though- you don't actually have to be high level to attempt a high level ritual, right? What is this new ritual?

Reflexive Trick feat is always good.

Depend on your build. If you want to be more caster, you don't need weapon or armor proficiency (psychic doesn't take ACP and you don't do attack roll).

If you want to melee, starknife a good choice since you can get its proficiency with a trait and you can make it into CHA based weapon with a feat.

What are your thoughts on the Quarterstaff of the Entwined Serpents? Is it too cheap for what it does?

archivesofnethys.com/MagicWeaponsDisplay.aspx?ItemName=Quarterstaff of Entwined Serpents

>This +1 quarterstaff is made of wood carved and dyed to look like two entwined asps, one black and one white. At will, the wielder can use the staff to cast magic missile, creating two such missiles. One of the created missiles always takes the form of a glowing white snake, while the other missile always takes the form of a shadowy black snake. When held in hand, the wielder of the quarterstaff of entwined serpents can cast spells as if he had the Eschew Materials feat.

Price: 5,050 GP

Honestly I wish there were more scaling magic items. This staff could be WAY cooler if it was

No, I'd say it's priced decently but still not very good.

>Armor Master trait
The what? Can't find it on nethys.

It's an at-will use of a mediocre spell, and acting as though you had a mediocre feat. It's okay for the cost, but nothing amazing.

try Armor Expert

I've seen people suggest that this item does scale, because it says "the wielder can use the staff to cast magic missile" and they suggest that means the wielder is casting, thus it uses their caster level.

But that's obviously wrong.

Considering the price tag is so low (also this is a weapon not a staff, so crafting it is a bit more feasible IMO since Craft Arms and Armor is usually higher on the priority list of crafting feats than Craft Rod or Craft Staff, for me at least) I think it can be worth the price to be able to plink out magic missiles all the time. This thing is really cheap, and it's a better thing to fall back on than a crossbow when you want to conserve spells. I'm planning on buying one for my wizard and handing it off to his imp familiar sometime down the line so it has something to use besides consumable wands.

d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/armor-master-regional/

Since it's a command word activation, you could give the whole village these starves.

>d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/armor-master-regional/
>Benefit: When you wear armor of any sort, reduce the armor check penalty by 1, to a minimum penalty of 0.

There we are.

Regional so that's out the window

>d20pfsrd.com/traits/regional-traits/armor-master-regional/

so Sargavan Guard in nethy

>urobuchi
Watch Thunderbolt Fantasy user.

Wait, that was him? Seriously?
...am I about to get tricked into seeing puppet rape scenes, or assholes ranting about how hope is stupid?

Which is sad since in the books Martin's nowhere near as brutal or cynical since the whole thing has an undertone of hope and unwillingness to give up despite the only methods of survival being seemingly abandoning all morality. I blame the TV show missing the point and just becoming a big deal because "Ooh look at us we are so edgy with our ruthless murder and all characters becoming non-heroes because it's the only way to win and murderape revengeace and all that stuff".

What is /pfg/'s favorite fantasy races to have in a setting?

strawpoll.me/14579256

>Martin's nowhere near as brutal or cynical
So how about them tax policies? Ooh, we're so much more adult and smart than your stupid kiddy books.

It's like The Walking Dead, just overrated shock value shit.

Also
>GM tries to bait you into an open arms race to minmax your next character by killing your previous one
Guys, I'm fed up, I think I'm going to take a break of ttrpgs for a while, I've spent the last 4 years going from a shitty GM to another shitty GM in an endless cicle

I thought the villains who do all of those evil stuff eventually get their comeuppance and die EXTREMELY painfully in general no?