Exalted General /exg/

What is Exalted?
An epic high-flying role-playing game about reborn god-heroes in a world that turned them on.
Start here: theonyxpath.com/category/worlds/exalted/

>That sounds cool, how can I get into it?
Read the 3e core book (link below). For mechanics of the old edition, play this tutorial: mengtzu.github.io/exalted/sakuya.html
. It’ll get you familiar with most of the mechanics.

>Gosh that was fun. How do I find a group?
Roll20 and the Game Finder General here on Veeky Forums.

>Resources for Older Editions
pastebin.com/GihMPwV8

Resources for Third Edition
>3E Core and Splats
mediafire.com/folder/b54o6teut3fx6/Exalted_3e

>Dragonblooded Charm Previews:
theonyxpath.com/dragon-blooded-charms-preview-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/the-elemental-aura-dragon-blooded-pt-2-exalted/
theonyxpath.com/signature-charms-dragon-blooded-pt-3-exalted/

>Other Ex3 Resources
pastebin.com/fG1mLMdu

>New NPCs and a Behemoth rework
pastebin.com/avv1ZCZp

>House Tepet Preview
drive.google.com/file/d/0B7FqViticwNuS2pvcEF2TGlUYW8/view

Other urls found in this thread:

i.pinimg.com/564x/4e/56/87/4e56876373b6f9bdfd47a1d611ad25fc--ground-sloth-natural-science-museum.jpg
i.pinimg.com/originals/b3/a7/3c/b3a73cb991f2fd1c0bae6c4afbd31461.jpg
youtube.com/watch?v=oecQDr9B6KU
youtube.com/watch?v=iLXsn4CeyVs
oglaf.com/mighty-deeds/
giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-187324.html
engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Prestidigitation)
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

i.pinimg.com/564x/4e/56/87/4e56876373b6f9bdfd47a1d611ad25fc--ground-sloth-natural-science-museum.jpg

i.pinimg.com/originals/b3/a7/3c/b3a73cb991f2fd1c0bae6c4afbd31461.jpg

doesn't matter, dbt is dbt
Nobody knows. I refuse to transform and spent all my BP on performance specialties. youtube.com/watch?v=oecQDr9B6KU

youtube.com/watch?v=iLXsn4CeyVs
We're armor twins :)

none would dare

they need to make a new bloody roar game

previous thread

Just realized that according to the write up for Gorgon in AotC, Abyssals don't Resonate with Jade.

OP did come up with a thread topic so; What Artefacts synergize well with what Martial Art styles?

>Just realized that according to the write up for Gorgon in AotC, Abyssals don't Resonate with Jade.
Yeah, they probably just resonate with Soulsteel.

Do you think they'll be Dissonant with anything?

Wonder how Infernals will be handled, Dissonant with Soulsteel representing the Yozi inability to encompass the dead, and otherwise Resonant with anything treated with Vitriol.

How would you go about creating a limitbreak to reflect a tendency to pull the "sleeping king retires from the world to returnin an hour of need" type bullshit? I figure that should be his mythical hero flaw.

Like that's what I picture my solar doing long term, just fucking off until some invisible critera is met for a problem to be big enough to justify his return, but being an elder solar he'll set the bar way too high and basically pull an "unconquered sun during the contagon/balorn crusade" disappearing act while people glare at him going "if not this then when, what the fuck" bur hes too busy in his workshop(hes a dawn, but I figure by that age he'll have picked up his share of cross-caste interests) or whatever to care about what they think, he'll know the time when he sees it...
you know, just kinda fade into the background entirely sometime around essence 8.
which of course would be mellenia after our game that actually uses him ends.

I figure the short term version of that happening in the playable timescale would be something along that 'autistic focus' break temperance has? but how do I make my thing unique and different from the ''wise guru on top of a mountain'' thing?

I'm calling the break 'gee I'd love to help you but my beard is stuck in this table' as a working title, where his reaction to all but the most ridiculously large and immediate problems is "it's a good solid table. doesn't seem worth smashing it just for that, surely you can handle it. herculies doesn't have to haul every single cart out of every single pothole right?"

That doesn't really sound like a limit break to me. I'd wager that's more along the lines of an artifact or some other mystical thing that let's him go comatose that long and just general pride and douchebaggery that makes him think its a good idea at all.

alternatively, I'd like help with being this guy oglaf.com/mighty-deeds/ where he can't turn down even the most transparent challange to his exalted prowess and is easily hodwinked into stupid "quests" by somebody asking MacFligh if hes chicken

>just general pride and douchebaggery that makes him think its a good idea at all.

is that not what the great(er) curse does to make all solars assholes in the first age?

on second thought, this is dumb

Anybody who read Arms of the Chosen wanna tell me how prevalent magitech is in Creation?

It does yes, but its not like solars are immune from being regular old dickheads aside from the curse. It sort of depends on how you read the setting and what direction you want to take it, either the great curse corrupted solars in ways beyond just how the mechanics represent it (occasional bursts of activity after long periods of building stress) or some combination of their own pride from their power combined with the great curse made them sort of naturally nasty.

You want something that would play exactly like Ascetic Dive or Heart of Tears. Just refluff those a bit. The character's motivation fluff you want is more or less found by combining Contempt of the Foolhearty.with Contempt of the Virtuous. There isn't really much more for us to do for you.

They're not dissonant with any of the five magical materials.

>The Abyssal Exalted have a dark affinity for soulsteel, resonating with it. Their affinity with other magical materials is neutral.

Do you think that martial arts popular in the North?
Right like I am reviewing all of the places in the north and trying to see how I can fit in a martial arts dojo into them and well.... it's not going so well.

Whitewall would be a pretty good place for a group of martial artists to set up shop, there are gods there to enlighten good students, probably some godbloods as well... And an actual need for brave warriors to fight off Fey and Undead.
Gethamane has the same need for strong warriors but none of the means to get them. All the native Dragon-Blooded died, their gods are insane and there isn't any God-Blooded.

The Slave States - Nope. Same with the Ice Walkers, I just can't see barbarians having a tradition of martial arts with their nomadic lifestyle. The League has enough cool stuff I feel, so they're also a No.

>Slave States

There are a number of real world Martial Arts styles that were created by slaves and taught and practiced in secret, such as Capoeira.

>Ice Walkers

Martial Arts practiced by these people would likely be passed down by word of mouth, and only the more practical styles and techniques would be passed down. Being barbarians, their MA styles are likely to be brutal and pragmatic.

Remember that a Martial Art is literally just a formal fighting style, and any group that goes into combat regularly is likely to come up with one.

Yes but I don't think those slaves were under constant drugged compliance when they came up with those martial arts.

Directly quoted from the book
>Those surviving today — whether intact or merely within modern artisans’ power to repair — are but a fraction of what’s been lost through millennia of war and neglect. Even the simplest and most common artifacts are rare in the Time of Tumult; ancient relics were often fragile or at the focus of disastrous events, while those that can still be created today must incorporate exotic rarities or sorcerous procedures in their manufacture.

Pretending Infernals didn't happen is one of the dumbest thing 3e did.

Thanks. How likely is it that magitech will dominate the artifacts being used by players? That was the real problem with magitech in 2E, some of it was just too fucking good. Like the essence harmonizer thingy, artifact 1 for something that let you attune to whatever magical material you wanted without additional motes.

All magitech is is an aesthetic for designing your artifacts. Nothing special about it.

Still exceedingly rare, as it was supposed to be in 2e, without the inherent mechanical incentive to make that untrue.

We have several examples, but all are rare, even the "mass produced" ones. Like Brass Legionaries. Some, like the messenger birds have lesser and greater variants with more rarity.

You can refluff magitech and rejigger maintenance mechanics, but that isn't an answer to my question. How many people are going to use magitech to equip their characters?

I'd say not very, given how terrible crafting is with the XP types and having to do mall projects in order to do something big. Magitech maintenance would require a lot of small projects first before you could even attempt it.

>Same with the Ice Walkers, I just can't see barbarians having a tradition of martial arts with their nomadic lifestyle.
Like says, martial arts mean just a formal, established fighting style. Real world nomads had their own martial traditions. Mounted archery, for instance, was not something born from fury and instinct, but a martial skill requiring disciplined practice.

Right, probably should state it clearly - since magitech isn't it's own separate thing, how much a player uses it is down to how much they like that aesthetic for their artifacts.

That's not really true, artifacts don't have maintenance mechanics unless they're magitech.

How many of you start the game with some sort of artefact fresh out of chargen? Do you stick with mundane equipment and then pick up Artefacts as you find them, or do you start with a specific Artefact that compliments your build?

Does anyone still take specialties in specific weapons, knowing that you my come across an artefact with Evocations you prefer that is a different weapon type?

Off the top of my head, Stormcaller requires maintenance to use, and I don't think 'demon sword' is very magitech. Karvara also requires maintenance, and most certainly isn't magitech either.

That depends on the character and if there's an artifact I'm itching to try. I already want to make a strongman that uses Dauntless and a martial artist that uses Talion, and I'm working on a sales pitch to reflavor and tweak Flying Silver Dream into Ruyi Jingu Bang.

Pouring rice wine on a sword once a month is a far cry from having to make thousands of shoes a week just to be physically able to pick up tools and repair a warstrider. The difference is what requires you to use the nonsense crafting rules and what doesn't.

How does one get rid of Vodak?

>isn't magitech
It's a fucking warstrider, are you high?

Magitech is technological in aesthetic. Karvara is a monster in moonsilver BDSM gear, which isn't very tech-y to me.

Yes, but by that definition only warstriders are magitech, since off the top of my head they're the only published artifacts that have Craft-based maintenance requirements. All other artifacts still require Craft to repair, which means that you still need to "make thousand of shoes a week" in order to be able to fix them.

>monster in moonsilver BDSM gear
It's literally a cyborg.

>only warstriders
Brass Legionnares are described as specifically non-sorcerous.

Alright then, I guess I'm just an idiot there then. Still doesn't really dispute the fact that magitech is basically just an aesthetic in 3e, which is what this whole thing originally was, but I'll go ahead and drop this argument here.

What sort of artifact could a least god give to their favored child?

Choose any.

What do you mean least god? If you mean like 2e least god they can't have kids or own artifacts given that they're more or less the spiritual equivalent of a fetus

why are all the merchants in great forks toddlers

they're not, they're just gods who like to be the little girl

>Pouring rice wine on a sword once a month is a far cry from having to make thousands of shoes a week just to be physically able to pick up tools and repair a warstrider.
Don't be a faggot and exaggerate. If you're a reasonably competent crafter, you'd need 2-3 Minor Projects to make a Major Project, which is what repairing a Warstrider's health levels counts as; forge a set of entrenching tools to give to your soldiers, make a medical kit to give to your medics, and carve a toy horse to give away to some local children, and you're good.

A local god, or one with a specific purview?

What do people thing about an essence 5 charm that lets you break a hole between two realms with a feat of strength? Only works on a place that is a boundary between two worlds, like the edge of a shadowland (even during the day), or a god's sanctum.

It might be an okay Charm, but it isn't an okay Solar Charm.

...it is kinda silly to go 'Hey, I'd LOVE to repair the warstrider but I've got to do less important stuff first'. Especially if, god forbid, there isn't any NPCs you can actually help about by accepting gifts.

Sounds very Infernal Monster.

Which social caste in autochothonia was the equivalent of savants in creation? I don't currently have access to my cocautobot book

infernal monster native expansion

more like object level programming meets "it's elephants all the way down" really.

they're not supposed to growup, they're just supposed to make sure that rock keeps it's specific individual traits while reporting to and accepting rules for what it is to be a rock at all from the slightly higher level least god of all rocks.
past a certain level gods apparently need to be anthropomorphized to do their job properly and so they are.

convince the st to be sane in their interpretations and spend a few projects refining the materials to fix the warstrider. you know, salvaging and hammering the dings out of the specific replacement components to defray the resources cost or something.

Does anyone have any art that would do for Soulfarer? I'd rather it were a sword, but I'd rather every weapon was a sword. It'd make olympic javelin competitions more interesting.

A Craft system shouldn't hinge heavily on the willingness of any sane individual to ignore a significant portion of it.

And yes, there is a thematic difference between bathing a weapon in wine every few weeks to satiate the hungry god inside, and needing to craft shoes for your buddies to gain the mental fortitude to repair a giant robot.

Question: Is there any reason that you can't/shouldn't steal the evocations from a given artifact to use them for your Sorcerous Initiation evocations?

Also, does anyone know if there's a way to upgrade the sorcerous initiation artifact into a five dot instead of the 4 dot it assumes? Like, could you pay an extra BP during character creation for it to count as a 5 dot one?

I ask because one of my players took the Mara pact and am bad at homebrew, so since she's got the whole soul thematic going on, I was wondering if I could just steal Soulfarer's evocations and throw them onto her initiation tattoo.

if a player takes something from the book, but they want their own unique version of it, they should write it up and run it past you, not the other way around. as for your actual question, not really.

Ther's no reason that a Sorcerous Initiation Artefact need be exactly 4 dots. The Talisman of 10K Eyes specifically 4 dots, but other similar Artefacts won't be. Feel free to refluff shit and swap things around.

My player's the one who wanted to use the Soulfarer evocations on the Mara tattoo, I pointed out that Soulfarer is a 5 dot artifact, and decided that I didn't know enough about the system to judge if I'm willing to allow that, so gimme a bit to figure shit out before I approve. Thank you for your help!

I was going off the sidebar that mentioned that other relics of comparable sorcerous power were 4 dots, wasn't quite sure if that was supposed to be there as some sort of balance measure about one initiation not giving you more for free than another. Although with the XP costs being how they are, that's probably a silly concern. Either way, thank you for your help!

If they really want Soulfarer's evocations on a sorcerous artifact, you'll probably need to get rid of the attack specific evocations, so there's no real feasible to do lethal damage with a tattoo that really isn't just the body part the tattoo is attached to.

I was planning on allowing them to just fire off those evocations when they do lethal damage with their unarmed attacks, yeah. They're planning on being a Black Claw user. Since both are Mara things, I figured that it was fine from a flavor perspective.

You know, it's actually not far off, at least in appearance. Ability wise it's the polar opposite of something that entices you to kill indiscriminately.

in 2e how does a dragonblood's anima work?

i can't seem to find it in their castebook. is it just the same rules as a solar but with nothing happening at the castemark phase of 1-7 peripheral motes? I mean I see the flux damage rules which seem to be assuming this scale but it's never clearly spelled out.

and with the breeding background it talks about a reduction to the cost to "activate your anima banner"
does that mean it kicks in 2 peripheral motes sooner than normal? or that your 5m anima power costs 3m? both?

mostly asking about size of the anima, since the flux rules spell everything else out. does a dragonblood's flux hit the same radius as light from a solar's at 11+? because if so that's what.45 feet? 100?

or do dragonblooded auras stay restricted to the [essence] feet size mentioned for the 8-10 level?

How does a Battlegroup of Brass Legionnaires fare against similar sized battlegroups of other supernatural beings such as Demons or Elementals?

>gods there to enlighten good students
I don't think that's a thing anymore in 3rd Edition. Mortals are stuck without Essence and MA Charms are not for them.

Demons and other spirits have a distinct advantage in their ability to dematerialize at will. Other than that they could probably hoö their own just fine.

Random crossover thoughts
How would Creation try to deal with an Endbringer (from Worm) being dropped there?
inb4 roll to seduce

Amuses me how it's always shoes or spoons with people. You could keep it in theme even without that parts change (not that I argue against an ST letting that slide at least sometimes) but tools is basic, and should minimum hit 1 obj due to being something you can use immediately after. Tools are also easy to make so you can get the big boy bonus, then charms kick in.
From a math thing, with one momentum charm, a good roll (with no excellency) that hits 3 Obj with +3 succ, and even a single 10, you have enough for a major project, which is what repairing warstriders is.

Oh. Just call them like weaker end gods or something, the term 'least god' in specific has a weird holdover meaning from 2e about the god of things that are to unimportant for the god to have any major sapience, like the god of a particular blade of grass. It went super weird with it and explained that like them singing to eachother is how physics and chemistry work in creation and it was all kinda dumb.

To answer your question though you run into the same problem, a random low level god like the god of an unimportant town or some particular forest in the middle of no where likely won't be able to get their hands on an artifact with regularity. So I guess you can say they just happen to come by whatever and then gave it to their child.

With Hardness-ignoring attacks and Ghost Eating Technique, probably.

Current or just in general?
Having read most of the comic but not all of it and having dim recollections of it being the size of like multiple universes, it'd probably just be primordial war round 2. They'd find some way past its defenses, invent some manner of weapon or technique capable of harming it, and probably either kill it or convince it to leave after significant time and sacrifice. They do have the advantage of their powers aren't coming from it unlike the parahumans of worm, so it can't just switch those off when it doesn't like them anymore.
Also if they figured out its backstory then they'd have a much easier time. The plan they ended up doing of taunting it with the loss of its partner could be DEVASTATING if they figured it out, crafting some perfect replica, a zeniths cast music making it relive the experiences, so on and so on

the endbringers, not scion.

Oh fuck, misread Well thats a touch easier in a way. Like the comic explains they just need attacks that ignore regular old physics. High end sorcery, artifacts, martial arts, and charms can all do things like that. Might have to invent some new spell or build some new weapon for it but it could work.
Again, backstory comes into play though. They could also likely usurp it's control in some way, since they were just kind thrown down with no commands.

They are probably going to have a massive amount of Health levels and Soak too.

(ghost eating technique is definitely unnecessary in this case, and it's questionable if it would work on non-spirit things).

Would the exalted try to seduce the simurgh?

I'd say its more likely in the first age.

Then it's just a simple matter of dealing enough damage. It's obviously easier said than done, but probably nothing the Exalted can't handle.

Better question is whether they would succeed in seducing the Simurgh.

If it's got a hole, we can fuck it. If it doesn't...We'll make one.

The thing to consider is:
How many people can do that?

with direct damage, rather than turning them into a frog or something there probably isn't any exalted (currently alive) who can do it.

The UCS definitely capable of killing them with the godspear, but he's defintely not going to do that (BECAUSE HE DOES NOT GIVE A SINGLE FUCCCCCCKKKK)

You could dump them into that hole of oblivion, but that would require getting them into the underworld. and is utterly impractical (for several reasons).

There are charms (in 2e), like world scarring solar glory, that could deal enough damage.

However if anyone is capable of using that ability, it is most likely the death lords.
And they aren't going to try to kill the endbringer (I'd say they would throw it at some place in creation that irritates them)

That's just the "Beating them to death" solution.
There are various others.

was that oathbound spell supposed to be dragonblood only? if so it should have been listed as an occult charm that required sorcery as a prereq rather than an actual spell. if not, then they wrote the description's fluff misleadingly

*ANGRY DRAGONBLOODED NOISES*

The way I see it I'd send off big alarm bells in heaven and in that way specifically summon someone who is actually equipped to handle it. Some creation defense force sidereal would probably get sent down and do some weird conceptual bs where they like attack it's life force directly or some other weird thing like that, or get sent down with some last resort first age panic button artifact to shunt it into the deep wyld or something. Because yeah just straight beating it to death I'd a dumb idea

lame
fuck it. use it for crafting materials. strike a deal to feed it like that swamp behemoth. kill it not because of what it's done and continues to do, but because it is there and that fact was taken as a challenge to someone's ego. try to bind it with sorcery so you can make it fold your panties and serve you drinks for a year and a day.

do all the silly things people do to 2nd/3rd circle demons and behemoths.

red rule says no, no matter how many successes you roll. smurf ain't into erp

at the suggestion that it shouldn't be a spell if it was meant to be dragonblood only? or because criticizing the spell's fluff?

those noises are annoyingly generic(just like a dragonblood)

>red rule says no, no matter how many successes you roll. smurf ain't into erp
Red rule's for players, though. It's not an in-setting statement, it's about Exalted being a game meant for the players' entertainment.

Depends on the time period. First Age? You better fucking believe that Zion is going to be the Twilight's bitch after they figure it's tricks out.

Second Age? Probably a straight up behemoth fight. A good challenge for a Circle of Solars and their allies.

>My player's the one who wanted to use the Soulfarer evocations on the Mara tattoo, I pointed out that Soulfarer is a 5 dot artifact
So have the Mara tattoo also be a 5 dot artifact?

How solo player/game friendly is 3e?

Warstriders. A Sidereal Exalt leads a Solar to Karvara, and then the imprisoned giant monster with built-in physics manipulation fights the free giant monster with built-in physics manipulation.

Alternately, someone uses All-Conquering Colossus to punch it in the face with love.

Anybody remember a useless joke martial art that was posted awhile back:
vitriol aspected terrestrial martial art, invented by some dragonblooded akuma iirc. had a capstone charm that allowed you to do "literally infinite damage" to a single mortal extra and which had the obvious tag so everybody knew you had just done infinite damage when you obliterated that poor extra. iirc the akuma was using it to recruit mortal followers with the promise of power and then leaving them to die when they got full of themselves and tried to bully something that actually mattered.

if so, do you have a link?

giantitp.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-187324.html

Anyone have a link or know of homebrew sorcery rituals that people bothered to make?

So, I'm trying to figure out hammer on iron technique. When you add dice to the charm's damage rolls to equal them out. That's a fancy way of saying that you only need to pay for damage charms once right?

I was thinking of trying to add a handful of small prestidigation like effects (engl393-dnd5th.wikia.com/wiki/Prestidigitation) to the dragonblood's anima for the cost of 1 mote.. mostly involving conjuring or manipulating small amounts of their element.

so far I've got:
-fire can heat up to a cubic yard of material to up to boiling temperature of water for an hour
-fire can instantly light or snuff up to a campfire's worth of flames with a touch
-water can conjure a cup's worth of clean drinking water within essence feet.
-water can instantly dry up to a cubic foot of area within essence feet
-air can create and manipulate small puffs of air within essence yards
-air can cool an object up to 1 cubic foot in size as low a sthe freezing point of water for up to an hour

and then I'm stuck on wood and earth(especially earth)

my questions are
1 is this stupid
2 any suggestions?

yes

Stupid question: Why not just declare to your table, "You're an elemental superwarrior, you can stunt the sort of stuff you'd see in prestidigiation spells with your Anima"?

why not just declare "you'r ea solar superwarrior, your sense of the sun means you always know what time it is"

it's supposed to fill the same niche. but yeah, it's not meant to be a comprehensive list, just to get them thinking along those lines for available stunts because of their element. like their anima isn't zero to elemental death, you can heat a cup of tea at will too.

>Wood

Nuture plant life
Mitigate poison

>Earth

Easy sculpting
Detect precious gems

unless your players are a bunch of uncreative retards (as players oft are) it's better to let them surprise you with stunts based around that sort of thing.

how about:

"GENERAL ANIMA POWER:

Dragonbloods also have several undocumented(the better for you to stunt with) lesser anima powers they can invoke for 1-3 motes. Tricks and minor conveniences mostly: A fire aspect can light and snuff campfires with a touch or keep his tea warm, water aspects can conjure about a glass worth's clean drinking water or instantly dry themselves, an air aspect can chill objects or create and control small puffs of wind, an earth aspect can sense cracks and flaws in rock or instinctively appraise gemstones, and wood aspects can manipulate plantlife(think on the level of causing a flower to bloom or creating elaborate bonzi) and gain an innate grasp of what sort of general effects or toxins a plant may have from the scent of it's crushed leaves.

this is not a comprehensive list, for example both air and fire aspects can manipulate existing plumes of smoke, while air and water can both raise a small patch of mist, and earth aspects can conjure a handful of sand to throw in someone's face, or pull a sling-stone out of thin air.
(when coming up with your own, keep it within the powerlevel of d&d's prestigitation, or a solar's ability to know the time of day or a lunar the phase of the moon. try to root it in conjuring or manipulating small amounts of their element)"