/bgg/ Board Games General - the naughty list edition

Previous Thread ---> Map
zeemaps.com/map?group=2658308#

Pastebin
pastebin.com/3ZbrVRMu

> If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays (no matter how expensive or how long out of print it was) and be guaranteed to get it, what game would you ask for?

> If you just HAD to buy the 'That Guy' in your life a board game for the holidays, what game would you give them in order to "piss in their corn-flakes"?

Other urls found in this thread:

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22/magic-realm
shogi.net/kakugen/
eric.macshogi.com/shogi/handicap/handicap-intro.html
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays (no matter how expensive or how long out of print it was) and be guaranteed to get it, what game would you ask for?
Probably the full Kingdom Death just for the experience of it, because no way am I dropping $3k plus on a board game

Runners up: the old Dune game which I think is out of print, or Dogs of War which is just on the edge for for me (I'm not sure I'll like it much so I'm hesitant to buy it, and I've never had a trial play of it).

>> If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays (no matter how expensive or how long out of print it was) and be guaranteed to get it, what game would you ask for?

There's an old 1980's era game about knights and wizards, and the board was a series of hexes that you had to explore. I can't think of the name of it, and I'd love a copy of it as my neighbors had it when I was a kid.

>> If you just HAD to buy the 'That Guy' in your life a board game for the holidays, what game would you give them in order to "piss in their corn-flakes"?

Sort of evil: I'd buy them a copy of Munchkin with a couple of expansions and then encourage them to play 6 to 8 player games of Munchkin.

Really evil: I'd buy them a copy of SeaFall just to see how far into the campaign they'd get before realizing just how awful the balance issues are.

Uber Evil (tm). I'd force STEEV to play a co-op 'Cat Herding' game where players attempt to herd cats through a 'Mansion' map via forced random card draws with little to no mitigation mechanics.

Was it Magical Realm?

Yes! That's the one. Magic Realm

boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/22/magic-realm

How come someone brings up STEEV in the first three posts of every new thread? redditplzleave, thats not what tripfags are for

>any one game
Queen's Gambit

>piss in corn flakes
Blood Rage

>Uber Evil (tm). I'd force STEEV to play a co-op 'Cat Herding' game where players attempt to herd cats through a 'Mansion' map via forced random card draws with little to no mitigation mechanics.

TO: STEEV

Is the eurogame vs. ameritrash argument as elitist as it sounds?

>> If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays...

I really can't even say. My unicorn is kingdom death, and I've pretty much bought all of it. I'm sure there's a nueroshima hex expansion I'm missing, or some obscure game I'd like to have in my collection, but nothing really comes to mind. I tend to just buy games I really want.

>If you just HAD to buy the 'That Guy' in your life a board game for the holidays...

Silly question. I wouldn't because I don't keep those types of people in my circle. If I had to at gunpoint? Eh, I'd just get them a copy of a game they already have that they don't play I guess, so at least everyone loses.

For the most part yes. One can easily talk about the strengths of each without coming off like a butt-hurt autist and let others figure out where their own preferences lie. Sadly that's the exception rather than the norm around here. Mostly its newbs making 'Stop liking what I don't like!' - the post.

>Silly question. I wouldn't because I don't keep those types of people in my circle.

It's hard to disown 'That Uncle' or 'That Cousin'. And damned if someone doesn't keep inviting them to the family gatherings too. ;)

Aha, family. I get you. Then the answer is Cards against humanity. There's a chance they're enjoy it. There's a bigger chance they'll hate it. There's an even bigger chance they grinded the shit out of it and dont...

Wait no, forget all that. Munchkin. When you absolutely, truly hate someone, you buy them munchkin.

ya, it's a particularly immature argument even for Veeky Forums

/bgg/ loves to suck his dick for some reason, not sure why.

>not sure why.

You mean like the fact he routinely provides useful answers when user's ask about games he's familiar with rather than acting like a dick-bag? Gee, I can't figure out why anyone would like him either...

>i suck everyone i like's dick
oh user, you little whore

Are any of the tiny epic games worthwhile to get?

Tiny epic galaxy and kingdom are cool, check them out first. Quest is a meme game, don't fall for it. Western I've never played but just looks like a mess so idk.

I played kingdom, and I guess it's kind of neat in a visual sort of way what with the not zelda items and what have you, but at it's core it's a worker placement, and how you feel about that will probably determine if it's worth it. I found it pretty boring and lacking depth, wouldn't play it again. The other guys I played it with raved about it pre game though, and I've heard the name pop up from time to time, so to answer your question...maybe?

Are you talking about quest? sure sounds like it

Ah hell, yeah you're right, I was referring to Quest

Are there any other games that use Claustrophobia's system of roll dice and then use them to power something else? I'm looking for something more trashy, not Castles of Burgundy or anything like that.

60 black lotus cards. then burn them in front of him.

From last thread

From lightest to heaviest, here is what worked with my gf :
Hanabi
The Grizzled
Pandemic (legacy too)
Sherlock Holmes
Aeon's End
Descent (with the app)

>One board game
Probably Mare Nostrum. I've been dying to get it lately and feel like I could actually get some play out if it. Ideally I'd go for TI4 but I know I'd play it so rarely.
>Get a game for "that guy"
Diplomacy, so I can slowly watch his friends and family hate him.

so from what I see, descent is kind of like a substitute for DnD?
what is it like?

>shit in their oatmeal
I'd take away Minifig's copy of 404, and give it to someone else who plays it every meetup but won't let him join in.

>Diplomacy, so I can slowly watch his friends and family hate him.

> away Minifig's copy of 404...

Now *THIS* the kind of evil I've come to know and love /bgg/!

I'm having AP over the choice of game to buy.

Tell us your options so we can tell you they're all shit.

>> If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays (no matter how expensive or how long out of print it was) and be guaranteed to get it, what game would you ask for?

Cave Evil
>$600 on eBay
Fuck outta here.

So, fires are threatening my home and I was just curious. How's Hotshots? I heard it's a much a more random and difficult Flash Point, but does that mean better or worse than the aforementioned?

>If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays (no matter how expensive or how long out of print it was) and be guaranteed to get it, what game would you ask for?
Kemet, waiting for that reprint still

Ya list options

Okay, so I never saw Theseus: The Dark Orbit till it was mentioned ITT but I really like the look of it.

I'm also considering:
>Mare Nostrum
>The King is Dead
>Barony
>Century: Spice Road
>Rococo
>Champions of Midgard
>Spirit Island

Would buy any two.

To That Guy, the ameritrash freak who likes to bend rules to his favor and gloat when he wins I'd give the blandest abstract I could find

>Mare Nostrum
Good game
>King is Dead
Fun, but best with exactly three
>Barony
idk
>Century
Fun but not as an all the time game. Fun once in a while
>Rococo
idk
>Champions
Cool worker placement for people who don't usually like worker placement
>Spirit Island
idk
>Theseus
Fun mancala/asymetric game

Dominion.

Poe-TAY-Toe

Okay Dan Quayle

>Diplomacy, so I can slowly watch his friends and family hate him.
Because he forced his friends and family to play the longest, boringest implementation of Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma in the world?

I know that feel.

Niece is 9 year old girl, likes blockus and mancala.

Looked at sleeping queens, seems like memory plus kid addition, eg. a bit too basic.

Apart from TI4 what are some good kid games from an uncle who doesn't really care and won't ever have to play them and an aunt who cares but wanted the uncle to research this shit?

Kingdomino
Ticket to Ride
Santorini

>Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma
"Unlike the standard prisoner's dilemma, in the iterated prisoner's dilemma the defection strategy is counter-intuitive and fails badly to predict the behavior of human players. Within standard economic theory, though, this is the only correct answer. The superrational strategy in the iterated prisoner's dilemma with fixed N is to cooperate against a superrational opponent, and in the limit of large N, experimental results on strategies agree with the superrational version, not the game-theoretic rational one."

tl;dr: you're wrong because actual people aren't all autists

Forbidden Island

Iterated Prisoner's Dilemma is babby's first game. It's literally the game theoretic version of rock-paper-scissors.

Yeah, it doesn't have a formal minimax solution. So what? It's still the dumbest and simplest game in the world.

Silver tower
Miniville/machi koro

I will not say they are good games though...

I played with the app which turn the game full coop.
So you chose your hero and his class which gains you some starting gears and skills. Then you chose a quest alternating between main and secondary (main quests are mandatory but you can chose which side quest to do).
That's when the app differ from regular play: In classic Descent the darklord set everything up and place the monster then the game is a race to complete the objectives before the other side. But with the app you only deploy the part of the map your characters can see and the monster in it so the feeling of exploration is much more present.
You have objectives to complet and sometime, some kind of time pressure.
When you finish the quest (win or lose), you gain some money and sometimes XP. Money gets you better gears and XP more skills. You can find some unique artifact too.
You get some shitty random event between quest were the result is nearly always bullshit.

Overall, I find it to be a fun game, but you shouldn't take it too seriously.

Pros of the app:
>real feeling of exploration
>some fun quest with hidden element whiwh wouldn't be possible in classic play
>trying to make the most broken combo is nice
>every room is a kind of puzzle

Cobs of the app:
>way to easy
>you have to play with at least 3 characters or some quest based around spreading around to find shit are auto-loss
>the random event are really shitty (like:"you come across a glade... but nothing happen") or depend of the class you chose
>only 1 campain, but replayable (but you lose the exploration bit)

thanks

so I'd need the second edition game to use it with the app?

I skipped Descent for the D&D board games like Castle Ravenloft and haven't looked back. It doesn't use overlords so you can solo it or play it two-players for a quick adventure.

Getting more boxes just make the game a literal toybox where you just mix and matches components as you like to develop your own adventures and campaigns.

It also is cheaper.

Have you tried the other campaigns as well?
I asked about them a thread ago but I'm still up for advices.

Yep. But the app takes into account your collection (2ed only) and takes monster and item from it.

The app is free and gets rid of the overlord. But I will look the d&d bg to see what it's worth.

Never played the other campain, the one that unlock when you buy shadows of Nerekhall seems fun, but I'm not so hot about the Delve. Don't know about the newest game mode (some kind of challenge mode).
Nerekhall is in my wish list though so maybe after chrismas

So the basic app campaign is free and you get more if you buy the expansion, uh?
That's interesting.
As for the difficulty, is it really really that easy, or is there a way to make it harder?

dive town

dice*

Thanks user. I like the look of King is Dead a lot but that makes my decision easier because we'll probably rarely have exactly 3.

I'll probably go with Mare Nostrum and either Champions or Theseus, unless anyone wants to chime in with advice on Barony, Rococo or Spirit Island.

In the app you get a introductory mini campain and a full fledge campain in 2 acts.
You can unlock the Delve for 7€ wich seems to be a short 6lvl dungeon generator (but I may be mistaken).
You can unlock another full campain if you buy shadows of Nerekhall.
And there is another challenge game mode which, I think is free, but I didn't start my app since the update so, not sure.

As for the difficulty, there were times where we were realy in a bad spot, and we lost 1 main quest, but overall we never really feel threatened. Maybe is it because we only played with 2 character or that we took skill and gear which complemented our strategy, but the game felt relatively easy.
Still enjoyable though

Shouldn't it be harder with 2 characters instead of 4?

Theee is way less monster at 2 than 4, so the damage spike you take from them is less. Plus, you can move around easily.
But then again, I didn't play with more than 2 characters so...

Does /bgg/ play Chess, Go, Backgammon, Shogi etc.?

Traditional-traditional games.

I've always wanted to be at least passable at go, but I'm garbage at it

Go is my main game. I'm about 3k.

My advice for a beginner is don't worry about needing to 'study' the game to get better. Just do the fun stuff i.e playing games and experimenting.

You can get very far that way. All the 7dan 9 year olds on asian servers just play games and do problems after school, they don't bother with theory until much later.

Not saying you will reach their levels, cause they have spongy asian kid brains, but at least you will get better without ever having to 'learn' anything.

Thanks for the advice user. I've been trying to read books off and on to learn as much theory as I can without playing much. I'll try to start playing some more games instead

Always happy to give advice about go, to the best of my abilities.

I did the exact same thing when I was a double digit kyu. Kind of just spun my wheels for a while watching lectures and learning opening stuff. It didn't help, and once I finally got around to playing it felt like a big test to see if I'd wasted my time, made me anxious.

Just remember the proverb: "lose your first 100 games as fast a possible". Losing is always more beneficial than winning.

>once I finally got around to playing it felt like a big test to see if I'd wasted my time, made me anxious
This is exactly what my problem is. Time to start losing!

Big argument on Facebook with someone from my play group, so I thought I'd like to discuss it here too.

Do you think it's acceptable, in games like New Angeles and Dead of Winter, to take the game hostage to pursue all your victory conditions? Stuff like "You all have to give me capital or I'm helping the Federalist" or "Help me fulfill my objective or I'm eating all the food and filling the trash"

He says this behavior is equivalent to flipping the table, like for example if we were playing Princes of Florence he could say "Let me win the jester this auction or I'll leave the game" while I'm saying that talking about those two specific games, this kind of power play is encouraged by the type of games they are (that's the whole point of having dual objectives in DoW and tradable VPs in NA)

I'm tyring to make him understand that there's a difference between pursuing your in-game objectives, accordiong to the game design and in a way allowed by the rules, to simply throwing a tantrum and leaving the game, and that if he doesn't like this particular aspect he just chsoe the wrong games to play He's not having any of it.

Sorta relevant, all this sprang from the fact that on our first NA game I was his rival; a combination of assets allowed me to run away with a lot of capitals and he felt powerless to gain on me. I suggested next time he should just take the game hostage, telling the other players that they could either help him or he'd basically turn into a second Federalist.

What do you all think?

You're right. To suggest that he should have to continue to help everyone else win without him is absurd.
He's being a crybaby and you should mock him until he stops.

If you're playing those kinds of game that's pretty much what's going to happen.

Archipelago - It's entirely incumbent on the person who is likely in first place to keep the game going. Everyone else can basically put two fingers up at the native crisis and make deals that are terrible in his favour or just flat out not help.

If the leader(s) wants to win in these situations then this is simply another challenge they have to work around. Of course this is assuming the game allows you to actually stay ahead in spite of the extra work. If someone can completely tank the game and there's absolutely nothing other people can do about it then it's a shitty game.

I haven't played those games but I'd say it depends on the game design and roles you have.
If a player is allowed to single handedly lose the game for everyone else without prior notice and no particular reason, like flipping the table, yeah it sucks.
On the other hand if you know someone is a traitor, or the damage they can do can be limited, or the game is very social in nature, or players can simply hold power and coerce others due to some design issue, then it's probably an intended mechanic.

Sadly I have this thing where rather than mock and/or ignore shitters I have to try and make them see my side of the argument.
Anyway he doesn't want to play DoW with me because of this "attitude", luckily we have a large enough group that it's not a problem. He'll add NA to the list of the games we can't play together and he'll just have to play something else with someone else.
>If someone can completely tank the game and there's absolutely nothing other people can do about it then it's a shitty game.
The main complaint about DoW's betrayer and their ability to get two consecutive turns in on certain game rounds. Absolutely wrecking the colony without giving anyone space to exile them in the meantime.
I'll also have to try Archipelago, I don't know anything about it.

What are some truly excellent board games to play at christmas with your family? I'm talking ones that are pretty easy to learn.

All I have is complicated stuff and Pandemic. I tried Pandemic with them before but they weren't really into it, perhaps because it is co-op or still just too complex.

Usually we play card games like Hold 'em and Bullshit.

>Dead of Winter

Assuming no traitor, every player has a secret objectives telling him to preserve the Colony and do something else (a certain number/type of cards in hand, or even something detrimental to the colony, like wounding/killing characters or allowing zombies to pile up)

You might find yourself in the situation where a Colony victory is assured but you are missing the other victory condition; at this point you might have to force the other players to help you or threaten to "ruin" the game for them.

Of course threats are only effective if you are willing to follow up on them, so depending on your "social meta" you might have toi occasionally show you are really serious about that.

The damage a "fake betrayer" can do is limited in scope, but like I said in occasionally the turn order and certain conditions will allow them to destroy hte game without possibility of retaliation. Exiling from the Colony a loyalist turned betrayer would reduce the impact they had on gameplay, but that isn't always in the best interest of the Colony either, as exiling a player with a loyalist objective does damage on its own. Often the correct answer to a threat like that is to really make an effort to give the player what they want.

>New Angeles

Every player has a rival card representing one of the other players' corporations, your own or the Federalist (betrayer) role. If you have your own card, you have to score more VPs than any three other players; if you have a rival, you only have to score more than them, your standing relative to other players is irrelevant.Of course you also have to manage threats to New Angeles, unless you are the Federalist.

So, like in DoW, sometimes your direct rival is running away with a lot of Capital, a NA victory is assured but not your own personal victory. Well it just happens that you can vote on played cards and VPs are tradeable. Again, your best bet at victory at that point is to threaten enough VPs out of the other players to get into a salvageable position. You might even get them from your rival!

Maybe it's just me but I wouldn't attach the definition of "truly excellent" to any game that also qualifies as easy to learn and family oriented.

That being said, Ticket to Ride is a great classic for a more casual crowd. I'm also thinking Seven Wonders but opnly you cna tell if it's too complicated for them. Takenoko is quick, fun and colorful but even further from excellence (and only up to 4 players iirc). You can fill with King of New York or Bang! Dice Game.

Love backgammon. I can't wait to be an 85 year old Armenian in a retirement home playing backgammon, drinking coffee, and smoking cigarettes.

Bought TI4 and my usual game group seems cold on the whole 8 hours of continual space opera on a saturday. /bgg/, what has been your experience with playing TI with randos at your FLGS?

>playing TI with randos at your FLGS
Sorry, can't help you there, I have a more or less fixed boardgaming group.
You could just tell your group that once you grow into it TI4 will take roughly 1 hour of gameplay per player, maybe less. I swear it's true.

From what you mention it sounds like the whole point of the secondary winning condition is to have players on the same team be dicks to each other. As in, it's not open to interpretation, that's why those cards are there.
The discussion is not so much "shoul this be allowed" (since it seems to be the clear game design goal) but "do you want to play with these rules"

Didn't play any of those games but I think that players are expected to go for the win and helping the traitor is not that. So if you effectively help the traitor it is the equivalent of saying: "if you don't help me, I will lose the game on purpose and make you lose too."
I think it's really shitty thing to do

I ended up getting rid of Dead of Winter because of that problem. Everyone agreed that the personal victory conditions pretty much ruin the cooperative experience since you can lose even if you had the group's best interest in mind.

"If I'm going down, I'm taking you all with me" seems 100 % legit in this game, the rules pretty much encourage that behavior.

>Usually we play card games like Hold 'em and Bullshit

Any bluffing/social deduction game would work. For the record, the only such game I've played is Coup but it does the job. Maybe check out Resistance or Deception: Murder In Hong Kong?

Camel Up

If they like poker and bs they'll probably like Skull which can be played with a set of cards if you wish

Sounds like they need to really start from the ground. Ease them in to the world of gaming with a run up that introduces concepts gradually. Lunch Money plays with fucking anyone and is as light as they come while having a more "modern game" style play-then-pass dynamic with tactical decision making rather than trick-taking rounds or "Can I play or can't I?" From there you can evolve into games with a board, once the dynamic of play is in place.

On the other side, if you can get them comfortable with Resistance/Avalon, that might be another avenue to crack open gaming. From that side of social deduction you can move into the slightly heavier Secret Hitler, then Shadow Hunters. Once they have Shadow Hunters down, you've introduced a lot of transferable skills for other games and can sort of move into the "Unique player powers" or "Coop with betrayer" space like Shadows over Camelot to hit modern gaming.

Or you can jump full throttle into Carcassone as baby's first Euro, since Carc gives you very few options each turn to keep track of.

Can't you just play the game without personal victory conditions?

I play chess and shogi, also the odd variant every now and then.
Been working on a chess/shogi hybrid for the past year or so, trying to combine mechanics and design elements from the two, though I'm not sure if it would be well-received.

Kingdom Death Monster, just because of how unobtainable it is. Cave Evil + Warcults as a close second. Anything else that's both obscure and expensive isn't that great.

> If you just HAD to buy the 'That Guy' in your life a board game for the holidays, what game would you give them in order to "piss in their corn-flakes"?
Don't have one and I don't make a habit of paying to upset someone.

Any tips for someone interested in trying out shogi?

> If you could ask for any one board game for the holidays (no matter how expensive or how long out of print it was) and be guaranteed to get it, what game would you ask for?
Channel A The Anime Pitch Game. I sort of want to preorder it, but they need a LOT of those to justify reprinting it. I just think it'd be a cute filler party game
Depends... how cheap can you get Munchkin on eBay?

Also, had my last board game meetup of 2017. Kinda weird knowing I won't see them until it's 2018.

>Civilisation: A New Dawn
Never played the games, but judging by Let's Plays I've seen it emulates the video game very well. I got kinda slack-jawed when Scythia nuked me, but it was all good fun.
>Sakura
Cute trick-taking with lovely art and cards with different powers. The 8-year old I played it with didn't seem to get into it, and I can't say I blame her.
>Buccaneer Bones
Now THIS went down much better with the kid, which was great for me because I brought it with me.
>Glass Road
The wheel with the spokes is kinda gimmicky, but it's a cute twist on Euro gameplay.
>Feast For Odin
I was just happy to cover most of my negative point spaces, and get a positive score.

If you play chess, it’s important to know and respect that shogi is a very different beast. A few chess tactics copy over (forks, skewers, defender removal etc.) but in general the theory is quite different.
I would first check out HIDETCHI’s ‘how to play shogi’ series on youtube to get the basics. He also has series on various josekis and castle structures, and famous games.
Then it’s just a matter of reading up whatever English sources you can find - Better moves for Better Shogi, the At A Glance series, Larry Kaufman’s notes on handicap theory, shogi proverbs, etc.. English sources are few and far between so take what you can get.

shogi.net/kakugen/
eric.macshogi.com/shogi/handicap/handicap-intro.html

My group hand them out but basically ignore them. They're just a means of handing a card that says "Not a traitor" to people, the only personal objective cards we pay attention to are the betrayal ones.

Yes, though you're supposed to use the hardmode scenarios if you do.

My group hasn't had the same problem with the hidden agendas that others report, but it's clearly a matter of personal taste: the people I game react to being unlikely to make personal with "Might as well see if I can at least get the colony to win" and consider it a partial rather than "If I can't win I'm taking you all down with me"

Holding a game hostage is stupid and you should simply avoid such players. Problem solved.

Just got Battle for Rokugan. I know it's kinda early, but I'm 100% sure this is another game that Veeky Forums will like, similar to Kemet.

what's the game you bust out with board game noobs that are familiar with strategic games and don't wanna bore them with long down times

>I'm trying to make him understand that there's a difference between pursuing your in-game objectives, according to the game design and in a way allowed by the rules and simply throwing a tantrum and leaving the game. And that if he doesn't like this particular aspect he just chose the wrong games to play. He's not having any of it.

Well then, if the player in question can't tell the difference between playing the game, and being a 'Win At All Costs (WAAC) dick-bag, and as you put it "He's having none of it." Then give him exactly 'None'. As in don't bother wasting your time gaming with this idiot any more.

Many years ago a friend of mine booted a player for a gaming group. Said player was the same sort of childish 'WAAC' type of player you describe in your post. My friend's comment to this person when they 'threatened' to leave the game was "You personally are NOT an integral part of MY enjoyment of gaming. If you leave NOTHING of value will be lost. In fact, your selfish and obnoxious behavior is a detriment to everyone else's enjoyment of the game." The look of shock and butt-hurt on that player's face when he looked around and saw everyone else agreeing with that statement was classic.

And no, this player did not 'Man-up' and stop being a dick. Instead they left in a huff. But just as my buddy called it - nothing of value was lost and the gaming sessions were a lot better after that. The frosting on the cake was the jerk contacting everyone else later and asking if we wanted to join his game, only to have everyone flatly turn him down.

What's it about?

Inis. Drafting means very little down time to start, it's not completely simple but it's easy enough to teach, never had a problem with someone learning it, and once you get into the season phase there's a good balance between downtime and active time so a player can get familiar with the cards before it gets to them.

How about just Kemet then where you can stargate to fight other dudes like turn fucking two and get cool ass animal dudes.