MECH RPG Thread 2

To talk about Mecha wargames or Rpgs, your own campaigns and ideas or simply to talk about big stompy robots.

Part one:

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=oo0Oj-B3rPg
youtube.com/watch?v=k6mZZiI4ShQ
youtube.com/watch?v=nu3ZjRkCmy8
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Opinion: mecha are at their best when piloted by beautiful women.

Shilling memes aside, I wish the guy did more art for this book. The only picture available looks pretty neat.

I’ve been reading the manual and I want to put a game together, sounds fun.

Tell us about your homebrew Mech setting /mekgen/

I've been thinking about doing one along the same vein as Battletech, with hit locations and all that, but with a much more simplistic system that uses hardpoints and weapon mounts and two damage classes for determining certain performance spec. Also more focus on combined arms, with tanks actually being the toughest unit you can use, and Mechs being the "jack of all trades" type. And yes, I would include customization rules and the ability to make your own Mech. The only issue is that I have very few people around me who are interested in playtesting and I'm not the sort to put things out in the wild before they are at least playable, so I have dragged ass on it aside from a basic concept and some barebones rules for unit construction.

>Oh man, have you read Games with others on that living dungeon stuff?
that's actually where I got the idea from

I have a few, but I'm currently rather fond of the tiny amount of stuff offers; the little bit of lore we get implies that conflicts can range from BattleTech-sized "small," wars to 40k-sized sector-wide conflicts with casualties in the seven- to nine-figure digits.

A freshly colony is trying to survive on a planet full of megafauna and deathtrap plants. They didn't start out with any military gear except for standard infantry equipment, which is wholly unsuited to fighting just about everything but other humans. What turns out to be even somewhat useful are the multiple large construction exoskeletons they had in storage. Quick retrofitting and humans vs world ensues.

I don't have much yet, but I really like fantasy settings that are on Earth in a distant post-apocalyptic future and I'd like to have rare mecha that were left behind by the earlier technological civilization.

Also, what system would be good for something like this? Anything that can do both mecha and magic?

duly noted.

Are there any mecha settings that focus on crazy stuff like spider cars and monowheel bikes without giant robots? I love all the creative incidental stuff I see in Japanese sci fi but giant robots are just so passe to me.

Anyone have experience with Mechnoir (Technoir add-on)? Does it do mecha well? It seems like it doesn't add much to the core, so i guess is Technoir a good game in itself? What kind of mecha/game is it good for? Dice mechanic is interesting, but I'm not sure if i should bother reading it all for a fleeting chance of getting a group together. Share your experience if you had any please.

I also want to do this, since battletech is too autistic and FATE is too simple. You at all interested in collaboration?

DAKKA

If you add small,soft biological mechs, you would be me. I was thinking in usin d6 based system but an user in the other made me doubt. I have the barebone of a system, but really the knick and knacks, the pricing/point buying of the mechs etc can go beyond me a bit.

D6 or BCG/Z could do, in the first you can adopt the fantasy/the force/mini-six magic system, the later it's effect based.

>Opinion: mecha are at their best when piloted by beautiful women.
True.
And then you kill them all off, Martin style.

True user. In my setting women are the majority of scout mech pilots, because they are petite and can think in more thinks at the same time.
No, bad user, bad.

Counter Opinion: Mecha are at their best when they are beautiful women.

Pomf =3, Wah, what are we going to do in the maintenence bay user?

>No, bad user, bad.
Oh, but yes.

What kind of tech do you enjoy in your mech games? I prefer a near future/space post-apocalipsis myself.

Where is this from? Have vague recollection

Depends on the mood but my go to is something in the vein of pic related

>that jerking motion
Goddamnit, now I have to change my panties.

Maburabu

Anyone knows from what series is that pic?

Aura Battler Dunbine, the mechs in it are made from a combination of mechanical parts and giant bug monster flesh.

あなたは日本人がゾンビ野郎と言われる意味を知らない

Every idea I have seems to have been done already be some nip in the 80' dammit.

To be fair the nip just took things he thought were cool and smashed them together, in this case giant robots, western fantasy and bugs. It comes down to execution, not originality.

So what kind of mecha games are you all in/wanting to run?

>tfw you will never run an autistic PMC simulator where the party starts off as a ragtag group of nobodies with only a single mech and some support vehicles
>over the course of the game they all get their own mechs
>start hiring NPCs to join them and replace them on the shit jobs they personally did before getting their mechs (supply guys, recon/intel, mission control, micromanagement of resources, etc)
>organization grows to the point where the party even has another full team of NPCs with their own mechs that can join them on missions
>organization grows to the point that the party has several such NPC teams with their own mechs, opening up a MGS Peace Walker style side ops where you can send other teams to do missions off screen in between story arcs
>game ends with a clusterfuck of a final battle in which the PC organization is tasked with toppling an entire small country and has to use all of their own resources with no outside support (besides some funding from the contractor) to complete a ridiculous sandbox type battle on a massive scale with all their units

bump

Titanfall setting has potential, lets see if it isn't killed in the next few years.

Is that actually official? The art styles look really inconsistent. Most of these don't even look related in any way.

I really don't know, I got it from Pinterest .

my guess is that it's supposed to show how the Titan concept evolved at the studio rather than in universe

>mecha that require a crew
would you play it?

What are some extraordinary entries for a mech critical hit chart?

No if the crew consists of PCs.

More or less my current groups campaign.

Storytime or it didn't happen

Party is currently low life bounty hunters in the orbitals with a rather crappy freighter. Recently they've gotten a computer expert to aid them,and are currently aiding a lunar rebellion as they're paying them a shit ton of cash in the form of a newer better ship.

Maybe but I think it's a much better idea for PCs to all have their own mecha.

venus wars?

If each pc controlled a crew, or rather a main character and supporting squadmates I'd be game. I've seen systems struggle with making ship combat interesting for the crew, I wouldn't trust it to work better on a smaller scale either. I feel like the pilot is going to have 90% of the spotlight. Unless you do a custom system that's wacky as shit were multiple people are rolling on their subsystems for every action and combining successes.

This hovers and that's fucked.

Holy shit how did I never hear about this series before. I need to weeb out on this.

Still one of my favourite intros ever.
youtube.com/watch?v=oo0Oj-B3rPg

it was a good animation, especially the ending. not sure I like the name Wanzer, but that was a very good animation

an old favorite of mine is the intro of Total Annihilation.
youtube.com/watch?v=k6mZZiI4ShQ

Loved that ridiculous film.

>Wanzer
Yeah, reminds me too much of wanker.
Speaking of TA, one of my favourite mechs.
Except for the name.
Why Monkeylord, in Heaven's name??

If every pc had their own mecha piloted by a group. It would be interesting to have them develop their groups and how a group system piloting a mech run by the pc would work mechanically. especially with like 2-3 other mechs/groups/Pc's at the table.

can it be any worse than "Peewee" the basic infantry units of the ARM

>Shitting about the glorious Pewee.
15 of them have send to your house to raid the fuck of you user, say goodbye to the solar panels.

wanzer is great fuck you

never said they didn't rape the face off any other tier 1 Kbot.

but DAMN is that a shitty name

My six year old self (than didn't even know how to say Hello in English)say screw you, peewee its one of the greatest names for bot ever.
Total Annhilation is love, total annhilation is life.

I have to say than altough as a kid I was an ARM forever, the Core gained me when I could understand what was all about.
Also they have the most metal end of the war.
youtube.com/watch?v=nu3ZjRkCmy8

Take a look at Battleforce in Strategic Operations for Battletech

It's like simple battletech, might be a good springboard for you

Up to Front Mission evolved they pronounced it Wanzer "Vahn-tzer" it was only in FME that they Anglicized it with the retarded sounding "Wanzurr"

Ahh, Core Contingency.
Why is Warhammer so smalltime?

No shit user, it's clearly panzer but with a w. That doesn't mean we can't make fun of that shitty va. Just like I'll always have fat char sieging john.

What are good old weapons than you could put in a converted working mech, like the ones in Patlabor? Near future tech, there are factions than use stuff like Plasma weapons and stuff but are expensive and needs huge amounts of power and maintenance.

KNIVES.
Because ranged combat is for pussies.

What kind of knives tough.
I can imagine Vibroblades,metallic ones, ceramic ones, Chain-knife, dulled knife, Knuckleduster/knife combo, Switchblades (in the arms or carried), gravity knives, stuff like kerambits/push-knives and all those kinds of cosmetic blades, ballistic knives, combo knife/taser etc without going Super Science (or SS).
Super science ones like laser or Plasma ones, monomolecular/monofilament or whatever.

>dulled knife

Yeah, for some reason people don't seem big on taking butter knives to shankfest.

>Vibroblades
>without going Super Science (or SS).
No. But you do get points for realising the monomolecular stuff belongs on the "meaningless technobabble" pile at least.

You need to practice user, that's why I put a dulled knife there.
Also a vibro blade could be like one of those Hand-saws, they vibrate and make the cut easier, but the blades break with ease, and you need a very big handle in proportion. I'm also going for the rule of cool a bit, so any silly weapon it's welcomed (dildos, whips etc are included).

>there are factions than use stuff like Plasma weapons and stuff but are expensive and needs huge amounts of power and maintenance.

Not really. A plasma weapon is just a big plasma cutting torch.

Like the plasma guns from WH40k and other sci fi universe I mean, not a glorified blowtorch. Plasma being the comon name people gives to it (like a Tank it's called that way because they were shipped as water tanks to mesopotamia and such).
Tough humongous plasma torches seems like a fun weapons too.

>like a Tank it's called that way because they were shipped as water tanks to mesopotamia and such

They were first thought of as land ships, but calling them something like that would give the Germans a good idea of what to expect if any spy snapped it up, so something else was needed. They decided on "Water Carriers", since that could fit with whatever else the spy might see. Just an off-road tractor to get potable water to the front line troops you know? Nothing to worry about. This lasted until Whatshisname was put in charge of the Water Carrier unit. Knowing full well that the military loved abbreviations, he saw fit to rename the place in a hurry least he be known as the commander of the WC unit. With a water carrier being a big tank of water on a tractor, he had them called tanks instead.

Sacrificial obsidian blades, to cut open the chest armor of your enemies and rip out their still beating pumps.

>aztec mecha armed with giant sacrificial knives to gouge a wound in enemy mech cockpits to pluck the screaming pilot as a sacrifice to appease the gods
neat

Man, the Matrix animated movie was such an uncomfortable one.
Cool mechs tough.

I never did get why mecha are somehow superior to sufficiently-equipped infantry.

Anti-tank weaponry, EMPs/electrical shorting, and the simple ability to use terrain and cover far more effectively than an enormous stomping robot may.

Hush you.

Remind me why I can't rig a street with explosives and detonate it while that thing's stomping down it- explosives much cheaper than the sum total of the cost for building such a machine.

>infantry
>not swarms of tiny explosive filled killdrones
get with the times grandpa

A killdrone that levitates, has sufficient programming to be able to navigate an environment and to recognize enemies, and which is sufficiently armed enough to damage an enemy is pretty fucking expensive and probably larger than you'd think.

Human infantry are just all around effective and practical.