Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces

Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
5etools is currently hosted at lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html, however it could be chopped down at any time. Get yourself a local copy below to be safe.

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Old thread:
Do you have any archfey in your setting? What are they like?

I don't mind anime, but if you're gonna post it, at least don't post garbage girls.

Dwarf Druid

>It's another guy posts on page 7 just to trigger people
Remember kiddos, if it actually offends you then do not feed him (you)'s.

Strength Ranger? Melee Druid? Idiot who thought that being a Paladin was a good idea because of his five intelligence?

Well that's good, at least. So he's functionally immobile, and barely cognizant of his surroundings. But yet, somehow, people are drawn to his surprisingly reasoned arguments.

Orc Oracle

>question
Not really, because none of my players have fey interactions so far and they're not high enough level that they'll run into them organically

Why would anyone be offended by that?

You'd be surprised how many (you)'s people get just by posting anime tiddies. Personally I don't care because I'm a degenerate anyway, but honestly the amount of people who get pissy about it annoys me.

Any ideas on how to gradually repair a Shield Guardian? I like the idea of my players finding one and gradually repairing it.

For the sake of people who came to this thread, thinking it was /5eg/.

Help me out here with my RP anons.

I want to try an Oath of Devotion Paladin, but I want to him to be kind of a vagabond, disillusioned a bit. I wanted him to leave the military and become a wanderer, maybe working as a merc to get by something like that. I don't really want him to be the KNIGHT IN SHINING ARMOR RIDE MY LAWFUL GOOD DICK-type character right out of the gates.

And I confess I think my view of OoD pallys has been tained by the shitposting and the memes, I can't view them as anything but pure LG knights in shining armor.

They have to go to different cities to find blacksmiths and with different skillsets? Maybe they have to go on sidequests to find parts sometimes.
Or they can just roll for it once a day and try to reach some massive arbitrary number.

>these paladins meet the ideal of the knight in shining armor, acting with honor in pursuit of justice and the greater good.

I mean, it's literally in the description.

Hello /5eg/, I was wondering if I could pick your collective brains for a moment. Right now I'm playing an Ancients Paladin in a campaign that just hit level 4, and I'm feeling a bit... less useful than the rest of the party in combat. Just to elaborate, the party is:
>Ancients Paladin
>Bear Totem Barbarian
>Monster Slayer Ranger
>Divination Wizard
>Gunsmith Artificer(yeah, I know)
Basically, I feel like I'm just a damage
sponge(rolled pretty lucky on hit dice, so I've got quite a bit of hp). We all agreed at character creation that we were going to not optimize our PCs too hard, so I made an old paladin who's Coming Out of Retirement(tm), and made my physical stats to match(12 in strength, 8 in dex). Furthermore, I chose to use a spear as a main weapon, since the spear+shield warrior image excites me in my private areas.

All of this combined means... that I barely do any damage. Especially when in comparison to the Barbarian's crazy rage greataxe damage, the Gunsmith's SS shootybangs, and the Wizards... wizard stuff. The Ranger is the closest to me in terms of damage, since he either uses a shillelagh'd quarterstaff or a sling with magic stones. So among everybody else doing 15+ damage a hit, I'm just rolling 1d6+3. Even in the absolute best scenario where I smite and crit, that is still only an average of 28 damage, which the Barbarian or the Gunsmith can hit quite easily, and the Wizard stands a decent chance of when he gives his familiar Dragon Breath and casts a blasty spell. So I'm basically left feeling like a healbot who, while fairly tanky(AC of 19), Just can't do as much in combat as everybody else besides casting Bless.

So, what can I do to solve this, anons? Should I just give up on the [blank] and board stuff and grab a polearm or a greatsword? Should I just accept that I'm just gonna be a meatsponge and try to be as unkillable as possible in anticipation of Ancient's later level abilities? Give in to the darkside and dip hexblade?

Nah mindlessly rolling is the last thing I want to do. The regenerating HP almost makes me want to happen on it's own, but giving the players a chance to customize it a little is good too.

What usually happens when a Shield Guardian drops to 0 HP anyway? Is it dead and gone forever?

When will people learn that purposefully taking low stats has never been interesting or fun?

You are just damage right now, you have a few more levels until your auras kick in.

With those stats you're never going to deal good damage. Just wait until your level 7 and you become the pillar of the party.

lvl6 is when you can give everyone +3 on all saves in 10ft so wait for that

>Blacksmith
You're going to need a TInkerer or Artificer for that.

>12 STR as a paladin
There's building your stats around a concept, which I do sometimes, but STR should be one of your top stats as a paladin. Old guys can still be strong, look at Arnold Schwarzenegger,

We used the Standard Array. I felt like making my Paladin wiser and more charismatic to reflect his years and hardy from his experiences was worth more than making him more buff or dexterous. Thank you for your comment, though.
Is there anything that you would recommend I do?(besides bleach, I'm allergic)

>not optimize our PCs too hard
>12 in strength, 8 in dex
Not optimising too hard is stuff like not Hexblade 1/Paladin X or PAM/+GWM shit.

Not dumping the stat that your class needs to be able to function properly. That's just dumb.

Paladins don't do very much flat damage, they can nova with divine smite (which is fun as shit) but you're not going to out DPS a barb or a bighter.

OoV Paladins can do some great damage to a single target, but that's pretty much it. And, to be fair, even then they probably won't out DPS the best DPS class in the game and the barbarian. You chose the most defensively inclined oath there is, you're there to be a fucking nigh-unkillable mass of plate and plants, nothing else.

Tell your GM you realized that you made a mistake in building your character and ask if you can move your stats around.

If he doesn't let you, retire the character and make a new one I guess.

>12 in strength
Spoiler: You're going to fucking suck and have no fun.

If I were your DM I would seriously allow you to redo your stats before I allowed a hexblade dip.

A paladin with minimal strength can work as long as you pick up Magic Initiate for Shillelagh. Not optimal but not as cheesy as a dip into Warlock.

Just start trying to become a bard. It might be fun.
>old veteran paladin goes on adventure to fulfill his dreams of becoming a musician

Constructs still use the same resting rules as any other creature. Unless you mean the damage isn't hit points, like a couple limbs got torn off. The Regenerate spell works on all creatures, even constructs, so you could try that. Unless it's so broken that it's not even a creature anymore, because it's dead or something.

Many Thanks. I'll think about the various things you folks said. The warlock dip was mostly a joke, can't say I've never been tempted though.

Were I to respec my stats, would you say I can skate by with swapping in the 14 from wisdom, or do I need to have 16+ to compete? I haven't spent my ASI yet, so I could get it up there.

Bard could be fun yeah, He's working out to be the face of the party at the moment, so it would be pretty appropriate. Is College of Swords any good?

What's your race?

14 would be okay, not great but it would make you considerably better and more fun to play.

And so the autists start a thread war, man just when /5eg/ was getting boring it starts picking up.

Aasimar, Scourge to be exact. Played it up less as a "holy divine child" and more like "RIP and TEAR the Demons". Plus by jove I was not gonna say no to +2 cha, +1 con.

Don't turn this into /pfg/, keep the paedophile weeb art to its containment general, thanks

>Scourge
Unfortunate choice, at least with Protector or Fallen you could have compensated for your low damage bonus with their 1/long rest minute of nova damage.

You know if people wouldn't throw a shit fit they'd go away sooner. It's just black op user, the more people bitched and moaned the more he did it and would go out of his way to ensure his thread was first.

The main issue here is the subject line isn't filled out and that annoys me to no end.

>Just like
Way too tired for this

>It's just black op

What?

Your character is already old yes? Should have just had your stats placed where they should have been before using the old age modifiers. I'd just point this out to GM and ask for the stats to be switched around. Or you could always do a nice ll' kill n' switch. Meet Pala'dan, Paladin's old war buddy and suspiciously similar substitute.

Scourge Aasimar get the +Level damage once per round as well, they all do.

The only difference is the secondary effect. In Scourge's case it's just even more damage.

Let me like you all to a real fifth edition general

Before ToA dropped someone started making every tread have a black person for op image. Most people just ignored it, while some lost the shit, both sides were to blame, and it just made him do it more and anytime someone would make one a little sooner he'd do his even sooner next time. Pretty soon we were skirting the line of making new threads at page 4 all because people can't learn to fucking ignore something that is obviously trying to get a rise out of them.

Scourge deals half damage, but in an AoE. Problem is that your allies are not exempt from this effect.

>at the end of each of your turns, you and each creature within 10 feet of you take radiant damage equal to half your level (rounded up).
>In addition, once on each of your turns, you can deal extra radiant damage to one
target when you deal damage to it with an attack or a spell. The extra radiant damage equals your level.
It gets both damage instances.

Like this twat here, starting a thread war because he doesn't like the op image despite this thread being made first. All he's doing is ensuring this op is gonna do it more because it triggers people like him.

I wish Arcane Casting and Divine Casting had a difference outside of the type of Arcane Foci they use.

Never really have thought about it, what do you think would be a good distinction to make? Would you make them work differently or what?

The spells are different.

>Do you have any archfey in your setting? What are they like?

Yes I do, they're basically the neutral party during the war of creation. So they're siblings to both gods and demons that carved our a domain in the world.

As for what they're like, I like the ideas of courts and houses of fey, so archfey are the progenitors of these courts. The seasons of the world are determined largely by the constant war between the seasonal courts.

On the other side of the spectrum, since they embody nature, ive also but them in my equivalent of Africa, mad chimeric body horror totemic archfey rule there, their courts of Animal Lords and mongrelfolk.

Because it's not true and playing a character with flaws is fun?

I think there is an interesting relationship between them that can be inferred without that difference.

Not him but I never had an issue playing a character with a flaw despite his stats being decent, you don't have to gimp a stat to play a flaw.

If he wanted to be an old warrior it would make sense to still have high strength, just a flaw such as an injury off the DMG table.

Old doesn't mean decrepit. 8 DEX is pretty crippling.

You just gotta be mindful of the consequences. Like with , if he had known he was going to lose out on damage and had been content with that, then it could have been interesting and fun.

60% chance of profits 5gp vs 40% of paying just 5 sp is fair.

How does this stuff even get published?

Because people bemoan their insulted tastes and gnash their teeth. All with no substance or reason.

Who cares? This isn't actually /5eg/ anyway.
>Hello /5eg/
Don't know who you're talking to here.
That's /5eg/. This is just the archfey thread.
A flawed, old warrior might have old war wounds, or just be stubborn, old-fashioned, and set in his ways. Maybe he lost an eye or a limb and has a prosthetic (or not). Maybe he's tempered his youthful fervor with the wisdom of age and he should be a cleric now.

Maybe we can turn this into like, D&D general or something. Of course it'd need a title so peope could find it easily.

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces
And so it begins. The endless stream of "my elves are different" canonized into rules once again.

Are people so creatively god damn bankrupt that they need every possible flavor of elf stated out for them? And why the fuck is it ALWAYS Elves. Elves are the ones that are always this fucking snowflake race with a billion different subraces. Because apparently all Elven cultures, despite being ancient and rigid, will break apart over petty shit like "how humid is the region they're currently occupying."

Hm, I'd go for a kind of knight errant, disillusioned from time in the military and finding out the Kings Royal Knights who he always admired are no better than thugs with fancy armor so he wanders, doing small jobs with a soft spot for helping where he can and eventually decides if knights who stand for justice and ideals and honor aren't real then he'll bloody well MAKE them real by becoming a wadering hero, maybe even make a sort of fantasy captain america bit where he keeps his armored self masked and identity hidden so the Devoted Paladin isn't some guy but rather the image of the ideal he feels he himself as a mere man can't represent