I'm an old MtG player. So old that I played almost a decade before Veeky Forums was even a thing...

I'm an old MtG player. So old that I played almost a decade before Veeky Forums was even a thing, and I remember the days when Veeky Forums was a thing and MtG still wasn't discussed around here (unlike now, when it seems like there's constantly at least three or four generals concerning the game up).

Anyway, as Veeky Forums gained interest in MtG, I lost mine. Over the last few years I've played less and less, until about this summer when I sold my online collection for a few thousand bucks and started moving my physical collection as well. However, the last couple of weeks I've instead started playing some Hearthstone.

Now, started is a strong word. I played it right around release and reached a pretty good rank before dropping the game almost entirely because I didn't like the mechanics at all. One year or so later I tried it again and found that I could no longer compete in the new meta that had developed, so I dropped it again. What changed recently, I think, was that I started watching Brian Kibler play the game and that I also realized that yeah, I could play for free and grind for hours, or I could just pay some money and play the decks I actually want to play. And you know what, Veeky Forums? I didn't hate it.

So, what's your thoughts on this game? What does it o well? What does it do poorly? What does it better than MtG? And what does it do worse than MtG?

Too much RNG. Otherwise fine.

Expansions don't realise fast enough combined with too many players and everyone online, so the meta becomes solved/stale really quickly. It's good for say the month after expansion release. Playtesting is weak so the designers have also been prone to some major fuck-ups across expansions.

The new dungeon run mode looked really fun on the preview stream and they advertised 48 bosses, but in practice it's usually 1-of-2 and 1-of-5 for the final fight and a lot of upgrades are similar so it gets old pretty quick.

Arena is great and I never get tired of it, it's what I primarily play HS for.

When you say "online collection", do you mean that you actually have to pay Wizards money for the cards you use in MTGO? I was under the impression that it was just a subscription service. It doesn't seem fun to pay for jpgs.

Yes, you have to pay for packs and/or tickets (which are essentially MODO currency).

>So, what's your thoughts on this game?
I like it.
>What does it o well?
Cards. I mean art, effects(could be better thou), voiceovers. I like how cards feel in your mouse, how they talk in the game, how they all pewpewpew fire, ice and lighting. Mtg never done that, all it have is boring arrows few monster grounts and lame special effects.
>What does it do poorly?
Balance decisions. Blizzard terrible at balance in games, their taking turn phylosophy is retarded. Some interactions broken and not fixed. Some cards are boring. Some decisions are stupid(Locking old adventurers from newer players for example).
>What does it better than MtG?
Visuals, sologaming, F2P.
And what does it do worse than MtG?
Restrictions. Stuff like no more than X creatures on screen, no proper graveyard etc.

>I like how cards feel in your mouse

It is. Combination of good fps, animations, sounds creates a pleasant feeling when you drag something. I feel im playing the game, not dragging some browser window around the screen.

>I mean art, effects(could be better thou), voiceovers.
I can agree with this. A lot of effort has clearly been put into the visuals of the game. That said, visuals aren't everything. Sure, they make things more interesting for the audience at an e-sports event, for example, but it doesn't mean that the mechanics are any better.

That said, I don't think the mechanics are inherently much worse than they are in MtG. The biggest gripes I had about the game when I started playing was the huge number of RNG cards and the mana crystals. The latter may seem strange to some, but in Magic, the very real threat of not being able to play five drops on curve is what enables aggro decks, for example. In Hearthstone, everyone knows that they'll reach 10 mana by turn 10, which impacts deckbuilding immensely. I play a lot of Warlock Zoo which is practically /the/ aggro deck of the game and even it plays some 7-drops and one 10-drop.

The former I have come to live with it and I have realize that many of the cards are simply decent cards with "draw one of three cards" attached, or "at the end of your turn draw a card that's not in your deck," or otherwise are just cards where you have to try and create a board where even the worst outcome isn't horrendous, or use them as a get out of jail free card that doesn't always work.

It's a better game than MtG at its core, but it does have several visible flaws like a bit too much rng, general imbalance, and not enough depth. The game today is certainly deeper than it was at launch, and they are rectifying some of the rng problems by introducing tutor cards in the latest expansion.

One thing I miss from the WoW tcg was raid decks. Several players teaming up to take on another player who is utilizing the raid boss deck and staving off adventurers, in essence. 2v2 and 3v1 would be fantastic modes to add into the game. Just as well, taking a note from Starcraft 2 and adding in automated in-game tournaments would be a great addition.

The game does present a pretty terrible experience for new players. The ranking system goes from rank 25 to 1, and then on to Legend. From rank 20 onward, nearly everyone is playing meta decks, so a new player with shitty basic cards is going to get destroyed. I really think they need to take a look at the matchmaking system and tweak it. Another small issue I have with the game is deck-building - I'd like to be able to customize my decks more (from an aesthetic appeal standpoint).

Here's an example of a deck I'm currently playing - Big Priest. It revolves around having a 5-6 minions only and a ton of spells that ensure those huge minions are played over and over again, overwhelming the opponent.

It's easy to play, good visuals and audio.
It's got lots of RNG and card generation for crazy/funny moments. It would be fun to screw around with, but you're going to need lots of epics/legendaries for that which is really expensive/grindy.
If you want a serious card game like MTG there are loads of better options.

Can you explain Barnes to me? I see him in a lot of deck lists, but every time I see him in my hand I think "surely there's something better I can do this turn," and whenever I cast him I'm always underwhelmed with what he gets me.

I think the main problem is rather that the expansions are far too smalll, which means that only so many cards can have any form of impact on the meta.

I just started playing yesterday, bought the welcome bundle and I feel lost.
It feels fun but I don't know where to start, should I grind out all the class' basic cards in AI games first?

I don't know what deck lists you're looking at where you're seeing lots of Barnes because big priest is pretty much the only deck that plays it. The cheapest non-Barnes minions in the deck are 8-drops. You get a 1/1 Y'sharj or Lich King or whatever for a big effect and then you resurrect it as a full size one the next with Eternal Servitude and then they lose.
Or you don't draw perfectly and then you lose.

You put him in to copy things with abusive effects. That's pretty much it.

Barnes with Priest allows you to cheat powerful minions onto the board early, then revive them. He's also very good with deathrattle minions, because their effect still triggers even as a 1/1

The classic example is that you can turn 4 Barnes into something stupid(Lich King, Ysara, Y'Shaarj etc), then turn 5 revive them to full size, and put a huge minion on the table super early.

If they can't answer it, gg. If they can, well, it's just a copy, so you can find it later on and do the same shit.

Also, this expansion is fucking crazy for revive priest. I played fucking N'Zoth no shit 7 times last game.

Yes. Play the AI games, unlock all the basic class cards, and by the time your done you likely have a good idea of which class you prefer. If you're on a budget, disenchant any legandiries and epics you get from any other classss in packs and concentrate your efforts into building one deck.

>Or you don't draw perfectly
This is my problem with Barnes.

# 1x (1) Awaken the Makers
# 2x (1) Mistress of Mixtures
# 1x (2) Acidic Swamp Ooze
# 2x (2) Plated Beetle
# 2x (2) Spirit Lash
# 2x (3) Gilded Gargoyle
# 1x (3) Shadow Word: Death
# 1x (3) Shallow Gravedigger
# 2x (3) Twilight's Call
# 2x (3) Unidentified Elixir
# 1x (4) Barnes
# 2x (4) Eternal Servitude
# 1x (4) The Darkness
# 2x (4) Tortollan Shellraiser
# 2x (6) Shadow Essence
# 2x (7) Lesser Diamond Spellstone
# 2x (9) Obsidian Statue
# 1x (9) Ysera
# 1x (10) N'Zoth, the Corruptor

More or less what I'm trying right now. I'm not quite Big Priest, but you can keep reviving shitloads of minions with this.

Apart from constructed deck lists, he also shows up a lot in decks built specifically to handle challenge bosses and the like.

>the good

Probably the easiest card game to get a grasp on and start playing even if you are completely new to card games in general. Most things save for some corner interactions are very intuitive and the basic gist of the game is so simple my grandma could start playing.

Everything is super polished and full of personality, and there is enough variety in decks to keep you entertained for quite some time. The new dungeon run mode is an absolute hit, doubly more so if you're a new or a free player since you get to play with legends and plenty of cards you don't own for no additional cost. The game itself is fun and engaging and the Wild format is legitimately better than the last three Standards Magic has gone through.

>the bad

While it is pretty easy for you to be FtP if you have been playing since at most BRM, the new player experience is atrocious in every respect. Rank 20 is supposedly the first "real" rank and you will find golden portraits and refined meta decks everywhere there, while you still have just a basic pack or so. You will get trounced.

The ladder system is partly responsible for that, since the monthly reset is massive and results in someone who is genuinely rank 20 facing some really-rank-1 player in very short order. It is the single worst thing in the game for me.

I think the problems with RNG are overstated. Some cards are kinda problematic (Barnes is a mistake), but overall I think people use the RNG cards as a means of saving face when they lose more than they should.

I suggest you save you first 700 gold for first karazhan wing.

That's rotating out later this month, isn't it?

No skill involved, pay to win with no resell value, cancerous Activision-Blizzard policies.

Why are there always a bunch of Veeky Forums-unrelated ActiBlizz threads up, anyway? That WoWcraft "lore" thread has absolutely no reason to be here, let alone be an omnipresent "general."

Not this month. It rotates when the next expansion releases sometime early next year.

It's a poor man's Shadowverse.

>Veeky Forums ACTUALLY, UNIRONICALLY likes Hearthstone
when did this happen???