/BRP/ general

Let's try this again edition!

Welcome to the Basic Roleplaying System general, where we talk about everything BRP related!

Games include Call of Cthulhu, Runequest, Stormbringer and more!

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné
rpgnow.com/product/225096/WOIN-Xenomorphs-The-Fall-of-Somerset-Landing
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

What edition of runequest should I play? What's the differences?

Who cares, this systems shit, play Genesys

2e is just 1e but cleaned up. Simple, classic, but antiquated in some design.

After 2e is a confusing mess of the lisence being passed back and forth by Avalon Hill and Mongoose, and shit.

Runequest 6/Mythras is my favorite. It's fairly crunchy, but it has super interesting combat and a cool system for different magic types.

The new one, Runequest Glorantha, is much closer to 2e than 6. It isn't as heavy and it incorporates some narrative elements in the form of runes tied to personality.

Does anyone care to post the Mythras pdf?

snip li RuneQuest

fuck off faggot

bump for interest

I've never played Call of Cthulhu before but I want to get into it, what's the best edition to start with as a complete newbie?

I'll post the next best thing.

6th if you're a real rpg player, 7th if you're a retarded numale fluoride sucking moron who didn't develop enough brain cells

I'm not a fan of 7e either but damn, user!

great system, even used it to run a home brew resident evil game

It seems like a harsh description but all those things are so intertwined that I don't think they can be separated. I will say that I honestly believe that Sandy Petersen was trying his best to adapt to the new era when we made it, which isn't really a flaw, it's just not written for people born before massive overdoses of birth control drugs started being in every major water supply.

For someone with no experience in any CoC, what's wrong with it?

Read them both and find out. If it somehow troubles you to read two game books, then play 7th because you're a fucking moron.

For me, they've cludged up the simple BRP-system for little gain.

If you cannot back up your claims then let competent players answer the question.

Just started playing BRP 4e recently. Surprised at how easy it is to learn. I was able to teach it to a group of five with 0 knowledge on the hobby. I actually keep thinking I'm overlooking some rules or something I am used to slightly crunchier systems though

Couple of questions I guess just because:
Is there a GM screen for BRP? Or should I just find a suitable one from CoC or other?

Why is the core rulebook so damned expensive? Even the quickstart is pricier than I'd like for what it is.

BRP 4e

Which is that? I only know of the big gold book.

Someone’s salty that Chaosium told you how to run it successfully in the rules.

I can't tell if you're being facetious, but I'm referring to the book in the OP image. I've always read it as "BRP 4th Edition." I believe the rulebooks came originally in box sets of RuneQuest or some such, and the "Big Gold Book" was the first standalone product, but like I said, I'm not an expert on this system.

No, not facetious in the slightest. Just not used to seeing BRP referred to in editions. Few remember the original leaflets, the Worlds of Wonder-box and the RQ3-monos.

What do you guys think of GORE?

Dude chill we're all friends here.

Are we though? Who can you really consider a friend?

Someone who doesn't attack on sight and runs off with my pants.

Bumping to say thanks for the files.

Thank you user, always remember that I love you

So what does the gold book offer that individual games such as Call of Cthulhu or Mythras do not?

Crocodiles

I'd be interested in this question reversed. Besisdes setting, what reasons might I want to explore some of the parallel games?

>So what does the gold book offer that individual games such as Call of Cthulhu or Mythras do not
The gold book is a bit like the D100 equivalent of gurps. Lots of optional rules that make the book feel unfocused and unpolished. Mythtras and Call of Cthulhu are focused on a specific setting and gameplay. Those books can be used as is. The gold book requires substantial work on the part of the GM to run the game smoothly.

>I'd be interested in this question reversed. Besisdes setting, what reasons might I want to explore some of the parallel games
Tighter and more efficient mechanics. Able to pick up and play with a minimum of fiddling.

>I've never played Call of Cthulhu before but I want to get into it, what's the best edition to start with as a complete newbie?
6th edition. There is more supplements and compatible material for that edition. 7th edition changed the attributes from the regular spread of 3-18 to percentiles.

>Why is the core rulebook so damned expensive? Even the quickstart is pricier than I'd like for what it is.
I've heard Chaosium is focusing on Call of Cthulhu and Runequest over BRP. Which is making the core book a bit scarce.

>What edition of runequest should I play? What's the differences?
OpenQuest hasn't been mentioned yet. It is more or less a stripped down version of Mythras.

I'm interested, tell me about that game

One of strengths of Basic Roleplaying lies with the variety of available supplements.

Some of them like Magic World and Enlightened Magic are stripped down and tweaked versions of previous Chaosium rpgs.

Bump for great justice!

i have it in my pc, looks cool

Is magic world better than mythras classic fantasy? what is different?

>Is magic world better than mythras classic fantasy? what is different?
It depends on what kind of game you are looking to run. Mythras is a more complicated system. It has multiple kinds of magic, hit locations, and combat actions. Magic World is based on the Elric or Sormbringer rpg. It has only a few kinds of magic, no hit locations or combat actions. Overall Magic World is a rougher, simpler system to play.

MW is Stormbringer 5e without all the various trademarks. SB5 was a kick ass sword&sorcery game, it was also one of the best, as well as one of the simpler, incarnations of BRP.
Mythras manages to be an even better sword&sorcery game, but crunches it to the hilt.

When the Design Mechanism released RuneQuest 6 they put together a freebie to show how versatile the system was. Unfortunately the PDF was taken down pretty quickly, seeing as it was based on a popular franchise with an existing RPG.

Here is the basic OpenQuest rules

What's better? Runequest 6 or Mythras?

What's the difference between Mythras 1e and 2e?

What is stormbringer default setting?

Better question is, how is it?

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elric_of_Melniboné

If you are a fan of the books it is pretty good. Dark fantasy with the forces of order and chaos bringing about the end of the world. I prefer the Hawkmoon series, more interesting. Has a Thundarr the Barbarian vibe to it.

RQ6 has some additional rules for miniatures that Mythras has cut. RQ6 also has glorious ligatures and a layout that doesn't make you want to claw your eyes out.
Mythras also has some clarifications and minor tweaks to rules, but they're pretty much the same.

They really ought to scrub this and re-release it as Space Wars or somesuch.

>They really ought to scrub this and re-release it as Space Wars or somesuch.
I am surprised they did not. When the PDF was pulled I think that suggestion was tossed their way. I have thought about tackling that myself as a home brew project.

>RQ6 has some additional rules for miniatures that Mythras has cut.
That I did not know. I'll have to dig out the PDF and check it out.

What, uh, is wrong with 7e? It seems like a solid game.

People hate it because it's new. Yes it has less supplements for obvious reasons, but it makes the format much more readable, and removes some kinda stupid stuff like abstracting stats to the 10 range, and multiplying it for checks

do you have the full pdf'

For Magic World? No just the physical books. Try the PDF share thread?

I have this, but I'm not sure if it's the same thing

nope it doesnt look like

Bumping with some home brew material

They cut the miniatures rules because Classic Fantasy did it better.

How can I play jojo in BRP?

>They cut the miniatures rules because Classic Fantasy did it better.
That makes sense given CF is meant to emulate D&D.

Speaking of D&D, dropping off some more fan supplements.

Is there an active one? I've been trying like mad to find the Xenomorphs book, being a lifelong Alien fan: rpgnow.com/product/225096/WOIN-Xenomorphs-The-Fall-of-Somerset-Landing

Now I want to see a fight between Jotaro and some fish-faced cultist whose stand is Cthulhu.

"In strange aeons—"

"ORAORAORAORAORAORA!"

Thanks. For some reason I thought that thread was archived and I couldn't post to it anymore.