/40krpg/ - Warhammer 40k RPG General

I couldn't find the last thread anywhere edition.

Previous Thread: For all your questions on Dark Heresy (1st and 2nd Editions), Rogue Trader, Deathwatch, Black Crusade, and Only War.
Not the wargame, not Chapter Master, not Space Hulk. Inquisitor is okay, but not many people know about it.

>Who's making the new 40k RPGs?
ulisses-us.com/in-development-wrath-glory-for-warhammer-40000-roleplay/
Ulisses-Spiel, very well known in Germany. It's set post Gathering Storm, uses a Shadowrun-esque D6 dice pool, and is a unified line with Marines, Humans, and Xenos all playable in the core book.

Book Repositories (If you're planning to download any Rogue Trader materials, read the .txt file in the RT directory)
mega.nz/#F!Pl0UgbJa!vDtTXMKnvZ26fUbuw4X9tg

There is a new Homebrew Megafolder option in above MEGA directory containing several things.

40K RPG tools, a site that contains stats or references for almost all weapons, armor and NPCs/adversaries. Not updated past DH2 core.
40krpgtools.com/

40k RPG Combined Armory (v6.48.161023), containing every piece of gear in all five lines. Now includes all DH2e books.
mediafire.com/folder/i3akv9qx9q05z

The Good, the Bad, and the Alpha Legion (v1.1.8) (Total Conversion Deathwatch into the Horus Heresy)
mediafire.com/file/dghh4d6spcd6io9/

Mars Needs Women! (v1.3.11) (Mechanicus Skitarii and Taghmata for Only War)
mediafire.com/file/oocu0xqq97oa8pe/

Fear and Loathing in the Eastern Fringe (V1.6.4) (Playable Xenos for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/download/fjhddohpscx1d7x

The Fringe is Yours! (v1.8.16) (More Xenos, Knights, and Horus Heresy gear for Rogue Trader)
mediafire.com/file/cu99mwnw75sw9y9

Other urls found in this thread:

mailchi.mp/bd6dfa2c73eb/wrath-glory-newsletter-december-2017?e=280473d149
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

deliver image source or die

Thanks OP, I thought I was blind looking for the thread.

How would you guys go about building one of The Tarnished?

Fuck forgot my picture

A heretek who substitutes int with wp, gains bonuses to intimidate and common lore war, -20 to scholastic lore of the mechanicum.

>Not knowing Gary

Apparently it was in the negaspace between Page 11 and the Archive.

Like, in what system? Just general Only War/Black Crusade? Because they sound like ghetto Red Guard who have shitty equipment.

Is this the same bloke who drew jablowski? I've never seen him use color.

Dark Heresy.

Maybe I should just go with the spirit of the idea -an angry mechanicus man trying to turn himself into old school megatron

I hope your inquisitor is quite radical.
Also, what do you mean, old school Megatron?

The one that can become the gun?

I wonder if he has any compiled pile of art anywhere.

And here I was thinking you were referencing some IDW character arc.

What that guy said, the gun.

I was basically told that so long as I'm not out and out worshiping chaos, It'd be fine. So, apparently pretty radical.

Just trying to turn myself into a weapon monster, nothing to see here inquisitor. No need to worry, those knee flamers are not fueled.

What are some good movies/shows to get into the "for-profit star trek" mood of Rogue Trader?

Galaxy Quest
Avatar, just end it before full Dances With Wolves
Treasure Planet
Star Trek DS9, especially "Ferengi Love Songs," "House of Quark," "The Nagus," and "Business as Usual."
Babylon 5, especially when Londo is making deals to further his own power and wealth.
Armageddon

>Pretty radical
>Wants to become an Obliterator
I wish you luck. Um, for Dark Heresy 1e or 2e?

2e.

Honestly I'm just going over the basic rules right now, I'm not even sure if it's viable or effective, but I've got a concept and may as well see where it goes.

Space Wolves were always my favorite chapter, gonna play in a deathwatch game in a few weeks as a 13th company 30k legionary in 40k. Hyped.

Try not to yiff the game up to much for the other players.

Dubs decides what paint scheme I use for my Imperial Knight. This is my first attempt at a model this big so please don't go for anything too complex. I will not be doing any major conversions so don't suggest any.

wrong thread my guy

You're correct sir, my bad, did not see the thread titles when I clicked in.

Only way to get fieldcraft from a home world other than quarantine world.

>repost from previous thread
Has anyone here experimented with merging combat into narrative time? For instances where combat occurs alongside other, more passive roleplay, such as a steady push of IG forces, I need some way to have long-term combat without everything devolving into a turn-based slog-fest.
I've been thinking about handling it with formations only, and having their attacks, if any are made, purely as reactions. Sort of as an in-between within the extremes of "no combat" and "tactical engagement," to facilitate primarily handling other things than fighting while a large battle evolves around you, but still having a risk of getting your block chopped off.

How have your characters or players earned fate points in your games?

I've run DH1 for a fair while now and 3 out of 5 are down to 1 fate point each, one who has none and another who still has 3.
They have plenty of experience so their need for re-rolls has decreased dramatically and when I've discussed it with them they want to keep the requirements for earning fate points high.

Space Pirate Harlock
Bodacious Space Pirates

Can my female Rogue Trade have a chaste relationship with an Astartes? She's fallen in love with Ultramarine

The Rouge Trader can. The ultramarine won't reciprocate.

Space Marines only get fifteen minutes of free time a day, and Ultramarines are such sticklers for Da Codex I doubt he has much extra. If he's on campaign he may have some wiggle room but that shit's going to end as soon as he's not fighting for his life daily.

Are there any rules about how you detect planetary resources in Rogue Trader?

So far we've been doing it with a longer low orbit scan. How are you doing it, Veeky Forums?

>Almost none of these fit the criteria
>Leaving out Firefly
Sort it out user.

Second for harlock in terms of visuals

Repostan from last thread in case anyone missed it, this months dev diary for W&G, talking about how they plan to use and balance different tiers of character power in the game. mailchi.mp/bd6dfa2c73eb/wrath-glory-newsletter-december-2017?e=280473d149

monol?

How balanced are mixed parties of Astartes and humans in Black Crusade? Is there any way to make it work? My players want to do a mixed one, but I'm unsure.

you can make it work, sure, but then you can also make parties with different levels in DnD work. Astartes are just more powerful, they start out with unrivaled equipment, have better stats and can do more shit. So you'll either have to include stuff that Space Marines can't do - namely infiltration of non-Space Marine Imperial institutions, or just say fuck balance and have fun playing characters with different power levels.

A Rogue Trader falls un love with an astartes. Unable to confess she is gifted by the Deux Machina with the Ultramarine's ship astropathic code.

"Help, i'm in love with an Ultramarine!" a story of star-crossed love brought to you by the fine folks at the Pink Library.

So how many levels of cheese am I looking at by playing a techamrine in deathwatch?

>Space Marines only get fifteen minutes of free time a day

>inb4 Marine who's previous activity to his free time period has him work in a place exactly 15 minutes away from the bar ends up turning to chaos

Wrong thread?

Apologies, I realized too late.

I generally give fate points at the end of major story arcs, generally passing out 2-3 to the people who did the most to earn them.
Being stingy with fate points is one of the things I understand least about the game lines.

Tell me about the planets close to the eye of terror.

Are they held by individual chaos gods or is it a massive free for all where everything goes?
What does the surface look like?
Is there air? do we know?
Does blood for the blood good intermingle with green nurgle pus?
Are there plants?

>Being stingy with fate points is one of the things I understand least about the game lines.
I simply take it to mean 40k is meant to be grimdark and dangerous, not a monty haul.

yes and no

And once again, there is a difference between the two, but sensible limits and appropriate rewards doesn't fit with your shitpost.

All i'm saying is that if you give everyone a bucket of fate points, player characters will not die.

In 40k, player characters should die.

>says something that was never said or alluded to
If you need to hedge your posts on imagination, you are probably shitposting.

informative reply. thank you

I am explaining why the rulesets advocate being stingy.

user, don't ask empty questions.
There is no answer here outside of "whatever you want them to be".
Cadia had nothing wrong with it other than the population having purple eyes and more incidents of occultism.

The rulesets advocate giving them out when the players accomplish something important, and if you think that means "almost never", then I'd wonder what the players are doing that is so meaningless.

The rulesets advocate giving them out when the players accomplish something important, and if you think that means "almost always", then I'd wonder why the players don't quickly come to consider everything meaningless.

Let me tell you about MY DUDES

>ultramarine progeny chapter named Guiliman's Hammer
>written in the darkest days of the wardian heresy, decided to go all the way with unironic spiritual liege shit
>first assigment was to defend a pointless rock from a chaos invasion AND a waaagh because a possible STC was there
>in an unexpected turn of reasonable, even the imperial high command went "yeah nah, just cut your losses and retreat, no point in throwing away an entire fresh chapter for nothing"
>REEEEEEEEEEEE NEVER SURRENDER, NEVER RETREAT
>take not one but two blood oaths to NEVER EVER leave the system unless the Emperor or Girlyman himself absolves them from it
>the chaos warband and the orks mutually destroy eachother, they only get to stomp on a few remaining cultists and gretchin
>admech pokes around, sorry no STC, but thanks for the solid one broskis, enjoy your stay
>enter 3200 years of garrison duty
>on a tiny, tidally locked shithole of a planet with barely a million souls and no resources whatsoever
>the admech even suspects it was exterminatus'd during the Horus Heresy or during the Great Crusade times
>decide honor and seek to emulate papa smurf as not just a great warrior but a statesman and logistician too
>they turn the planet into an austere, frugal to the extreme but actually pretty decent place to live where the people are warlike,hardworking and educated
>not a single chaos cult or xeno infestation ever
>they even do democracy!
>well the chapter master always gets elected planetary consul
>raise entire regiments of devoted guardsmen, and craftsmen to be shipped out, the only tithe they could give
>the administratum never comes to collect
>an inquisitor even comes around, tells them to never shutting the fuck up about the emperors children and fulgrim is HERESY because the people are not supposed to know about chaos, but who gives a shit, your planet doesnt matter
>combat maybe once every century when an eldar pirate or an ork freeboota gets lost

contd.

This is just my homebrew way to fluff my garbage bin SM army put together from surplus bits my friends gave to me and the starter set fighting along with the few IG stuff I have as a completely integrated PDF force.

I also wanted to ask, how much of a lore rape would be for the SPIRITUAL LIEGE to actually show up in person and release these guys from their oaths? Cause we like to put all of battles and stuff happening into a headcanon campaign together and I'm a bit worried this would be going a overboard.

>>I also wanted to ask, how much of a lore rape would be for the SPIRITUAL LIEGE to actually show up in person and release these guys from their oaths?
Given that the setting is already anime, why not?

Any good storyline ideas how to lead it up? We tend to play very fluffy campaigns with absolute meme armies. Like, we have a """"tau"""" player who has two armies, a pure kroot one and a pure gue'vesa one full of kitbashed shit like leman russes with railguns.

>leman
lemon

Bobby G can already be everywhere at once. Just have him stop by, offer his congrats for reforming a shithole, release their path, and leave them a gift basket of primaris.

I prefer not giving any, to be honest. If characters live through too many burnt Fate points they start accumulating penalties, which doesn't sound too fun for anyone.

But that is so passé. Where is the grimdark in that?

It's a Space Odyssey reference.

The primaris stay behind while the old guys leave, they turn out to be shitty administrators?

>Lemon
He-man

>Where is the grimdark in that?

Lost since Gathering Storm and Guilliman woke up and Cawl fixed everything.

This is almost complete, but i figured you gits may want to see it.

Exactly how convoluted should my DH2E plot be? I have half a dozen or so original factions, including rivals, not including Imperial bureaucracy and military.

Also are there any resources ya guys use to keep characters, plot hooks, motivations and behind the scenes interactions in check? I don't have the physical organization skills to keep all p&p.

(Captcha's suggestion is to 'exit life')

No such thing as a too convoluted Dark Heresy plot

Gulliman, upon reviewing the Imperial Logistics Reports, wonders WTF is an entire chapter doing out in the middle of fucking nowhere when he needs marines for the crusade. Thinking it's some sort of trap of nefarious chaos plot, he leads a force to come investigate when it turns out your boys are just fucking retards so he releases them.

Nah, the planet being completely worthless and beneath notice is kind of part of the running joke. Its also a more subtle form of grimdark, how all their efforts and good shit actually went to waste polishing a turd. The planet is so barren when the tyranids came and devastated the neighboring systems they skipped it over because of the lack of biomass.

Yeah I know. I shat a fucking brick wall when I learned about it. I can only assume these dudes did the same in-universe. It really made me want to actually build them up into a viable army and run some campaigns with them

The things I've managed to think up so far

>Girlyman actually shows up and chastises them for sticking to a stupid oath, they realize they have pissed away 3000 years guarding a rock
>other marines show up, patronizing as fuck, bringing a holo from G-man, they are just curtly released and sent to a crusade with infinitely more experienced and vicious chapters like the Blood Angels or the Space Wolves where they are the New Guys and are just relegated to garrison duty again
>everything goes like a dream, Robotman shows up like Chad on prom night with a honor guard of smurfs, personally thanks them with gifts, then invites them to purge some chaos together. it turns out the GHs were hopelessly naive about how grimdark the galaxy is and keep believing how hard work, order and hope can resolve everyhing. they also learn how little their little world and their efforts mattered the first time they land on a hive world. their wide eyed naive optimism of making things better gets dashed every turn
>Girly invites them to Ultramar as a chapter, barely days of warping out an alien invasion actually happens and razes their planet to dust, because it technically happened before they were released from the oath, they are disgraced forever in their own eyes
>turns out the entire imperium has forgotten about them, there is no trace of their Founding, no administratum records, nothing

Ok, I didn't want to ask this but I was too curious:
are there any rules for playing as a Deathwatch Dreadnought?

I have a many-step plan to ensure humanity's glorious destiny.

Naturally, my foremost loyalty belongs to the Empress of Mankind. With The Burning Blade we are sure to triumph over Chaos itself, in time, and restore order to the Galaxy.

The Golden Throne's ability will be used to acquire the Staff of Ulthamar, and her Holy Laurels will secure me the service of the Sister of Battle, Daughter of the Empress.

With the Mantle of Saint Ophelia calling an order of devout sisters to my banner, I shall begin a great purge of heretical influences from the Imperium.

In the course of this great purge, the Book of St. Lucius should be employed to ensure the purity and gain the love and loyalty of a Lord Commissar, adding her slew of Imperial regiments to my command.

Thusly armed with a power fist and bolt pistol sidearm, course should be set for Krieg. The Imperial Verdict will compel Engineer #8068 to my service, and with the Korps Clone Vats my ranks will swell further.

These forces will form the core of my campaign to annihilate the Tau, crushing the embarrassment to my First and Truest love's Empire.

Using the Staff of Ulthamar I will attempt to treat with the Eldar to gain their support in a prolonged campaign to defeat the Tyranids.

I will also encourage the various Necron dynasties of the Galaxy to lend every effort to ending this threat.

Should either of them refuse, I will let them know that a Super Heavy Artillery Battery will remove them from the history books. Should they still refuse, I will scour the galaxy of the Necrons.

Once the Tyranids are dealt with, I will scour the galaxy of the Necrons anyway.

Several major threats to the Imperium thusly dealt with, attention can be turned to the Eye of Terror and its denizens. The struggle may be long and arduous, but the Burning Blade guarantees eventual triumph.

For the Empress!

Yes, in Rights of Battle. I think there are special rules for Furioso and Librarian dreads in First Founding as well.

Yep, in the splat for playing big name chapter heroes like watch captains and stuff

Sounds cool. wish I had someone o play with

The more convoluted the better, honestly.

Going off the Screaming Vortex from Black Crusade:
>Are they held by individual chaos gods or is it a massive free for all where everything goes?
Both
>What does the surface look like?
A common theme is features that shouldn't be physically possible (ex: oceans so deep they should go past the planet's circumference), which get crazier and more deranged the deeper you go
>Is there air? do we know?
Sometimes. You might be able to breathe on some without, regardless
>Does blood for the blood good intermingle with green nurgle pus?
Sometimes
>Are there plants?
Sometimes, though it's more or less 50/50 it doesn't eat people

There's a reason the rulebook quietly notes, despite rambling endlessly about how humans and space marines are totally both "carefully balanced" to work in the same party, that the best decision "might" be to just roll one way or the other.

This just hurts to read. It shits on the fluff in so many ways.

I have no idea what this is or where it came from but I love it.

You should add primarchs though. I need a female horus.

Does anyone know how to get a bunch of people who barely know 40k besides memes into the setting? I've done Black crusade and years ago ran a 14 person campaign and it just degenerated into bullshit when I passed the reins to someone else to DM and everyone beforehand wanted to make anime characters and loli khorne berzerkers. I'm thinking of starting another and these people are just less weeby. Some are DnD veterans and I'm not sure how they'd like the ultra lethal campaigns (not like I care, people need to die and fear getting blown up).

>a 14 person campaign
but why

I literally asked everyone in college circle of friends of they wanted to after explaining it all. Actually went very smoothly. 9 stayed for about 2 years. Then I got out after I gave the dm reins and it just turned into a Mashup of anime and pop culture references.

The space wolves have a bunch of 30k dudes with them in 40k after they rescued them from prospero. Don't quite see an issue.

Give it to me straight, what is GW's official party line this week? Are we at war with eurasia or eastasia?

Okay, just bought the new Tyranid SC. Should I go Trygon or Trygon Prime? I do plan on magnetizing the tail.

Come back when you plan on posting in te right thread, m80.

So you know that Ashes of Prospero book?

Basically, the space wolves are getting rekt from the great rift. Njal Stormcaller says he may have an idea how to fix things, but he says he gotta go to Prospero. Logan says k. Njal gets Arjac and Friends and they head to Prospero. They're attacked by cultists there, when they get stuck in the Prospero Portal Network talked about in HH7. Then things get bizarre. The 40k wolves meet up with a contingent of the lost 13th company, straight out of 30k (the same guys mentioned lost in HH7) complete with their Praetor Wolf Lord Bulveye. They've been fighting for about a month, while 10k years passed because of 1kson time shenanigans. The 30k wolves are all "dude wtf why you religious and covered in wolfshit" and the 40k wolves are "horus heresy" and the 30k woves be like "damn". So they join together - the 40k wolves and 30k wolves, with an army comprised almost completely out of Legiones Astartes Redbook that Forge World sells (spartans, stormbirds, sicarans, mastodons, etc). Arjac, the champion, has a rivalry with another champion, Vigga Deathblow, until that champion says "oh yeah I was with Russ when he was growing up, I was there when Big E landed and he gave us the geneseed, I was Russ' original first champion," and Arjac's like "whoa I aint got shit on this nigga."

Anyway they also find some 1kSons who are loyalist, the same ones who froze time in the portal because they realized bad stuff was happening. This sorceror, Issakar Orr, sends a shard of himself into Njal, and they have a lovely chat. Both realize their legions got fucking played by Horus, and they work together to get out of the Portal Network. The Wolves leave the Portal Network. The 1ksons try to leave but a few who get out are immediately dusted due to the Rubric retcon. The sorceror and his boys decides they'll stay in the warp / network and try to figure out how to fight Magnus. The Space Wolves bid a fond farewell, and leave Prospero.

Jesus christ that's fucking dumb. Whatever happened to the 13th getting lost in the Eye and turning into werewolves from geneseed instability and warp exposure? That was the right kind of stupid. This is just wolf wankery.

I can't tell of I like this or not. I wish someone did something similar story wise for my Son's of Horus.

So they completely destroyed the point of Bjorn.

Hey, so I have been considering playing one of the 40k RPGs, and I am mostly trying to decide between Dark Heresy, Rogue Trader, and Dark Heresy 2nd edition.

Generally, my group like to earn their power, but wants to end up earning their way to the top. I think rank 16 Dark Heresy got you equal to the highest rank in DeathWatch, and while Rogue Trader starts off higher than DH, it ends up weaker than rank the max of DH or DW characters.

What is the power scaling like in DH 2nd ed, and is their any unofficial stuff for Rogue Trader or DH2 that is the equivalent to the Ascension stuff in DH?

Closer to RT at the end.

>Space Pirate Harlock
Thirding Harlock, though he's more of a "patriotic" Rogue Trader

Starts off stronger than 1e characters, "end" stronger than 1e without Ascension, though not much can match the bullshittery of Ascension. End in quotation marks due to how open-ended advancements are for it.

So max ascension DH1, and DeathWatch are the strongest then?
That said, I am not choosing based solely off power, but I mostly am trying get a handle on the various games.

>The 30k wolves are all "dude wtf why you religious and covered in wolfshit"
Final proof even Russ would be like "what the fuck is wrong with you dipshits?"

Ah. I have to wonder if is something like ascension in, possibly fanmade, for RT.