Fate Core

Good morrow to all you hepcats out there!

Some of my friends are getting together a Fate Core group. I know nothing about it, can someone give me the Readers Digest version? Strengths weaknesses of it and the system as an RPG?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/NOFXtAHg7vU?t=37m40s
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Fate Core is like Java, it can do anything and everything! But it can't do it quite well.

Be easy on it, don't take it too seriously.
It's a loose set of rules that guide a game of imagination.

Should be fun as long as everyone understands the rules. I'd read the rules man. It's a weird game.

I was very disappointed with it. It is very nice and flexible "assemble by yourself", easy to add whole new mechanics, and many cool settings pops-up after kickstarter.
But in actual game there too many encounters, unfortunately, comes down to "we need to stack more free invokes on main actor or reduce enemy skill with them". Oh, and social characters in combat are capable to outdamage plain fighters, cuz mental damage, muthafucka. Do you ever see BBEG run away and cry like bitch?

Aspects are a bit strange and knowing how to use them in a way that helps gameplay instead of "farming" fate points is something that is best learned through observing another group.
It is the most difficult component of the system to understand from a traditional D&D-like perspective, requiring more agency than one may be used to.

I have to agree with a lot said here, if not all. It prompted me to increase the tactic elements of Conflicts to avoid what people call the "Blind Sniper" scenario. (Some players do not find it to be an issue at all.)

I'll break it down. The game is about four things: Aspects, Skills, Stunts, and Fate Points, the metacurrency fuel for it all. Aspects are a very general way of defining unique parts of your character and also the environment and the story and... well, whatever. They're literally just phrases. They can range from, "Overly-Protective Father" to "House Fire!" to "The Mafia's Got a Finger in Everybody's Plates."

GMs and players interact with Aspects by invoking them for a roll (basically saying, "because [aspect], [action] would be easier"), invoking them for effect (saying, "because [aspect], [unique action] is possible" (which is something you'd already do in an RPG automatically, it's just codified to help you connect the dots in Fate)), or compelling them (basically spending a Fate Point to appeal to the group for a plot development based on an aspect which is out of the hands of the other players or GMs (something like, "Because you have the aspect 'Clean Freak', you refuse to go through the sewer.")).

Skills are as normal. Just a list of... skills that a character has proficiency in. They're literally just direct roll modifiers. The skill list is pretty nice and tight, I'd say. They offer that you add skills as you need, but it's usually best to just do a stunt.

Stunts are basically unique ways your character can use skills. They're things like "Night Terror: When in total darkness, you can use Provoke to make Shoot rolls." or "Daddy's Boy: Gain +2 to any Wealth or Contacts rolls you make under the pretense of being in direct service to your father, The President, with anybody who would care."

The main thing to note about the game is that they can be used extremely poorly, making a person think, "This game is so completely retarded, wtf, it doesn't do anything." or extremely well, making a person think, "Wow, this game can do fucking anything, even a teaspoon of tactical combat if I work it the right way." It's a very unique tool that you have to really immerse yourself in for a bit to understand, but it can move mountains.

You really goto think of it as a cooperative storytelling game. Players can force plot developments and the GM has to roll with it, anybody could force a character to do something almost without the consent of their player and you have to just roll with it. Choosing what the game is about, the setting, the problems, chargen, ground zero stuff; that's all built into the game. You've got to do it collaboratively. If your GM sends you a setting document and expects you to show up with a character sheet then it's time to worry, homie don't know Fate. The main thing that'll trip you up is how much control everybody has over everything about the game at any given time.

A good example of this is right here (follow the link, don't use embed) youtu.be/NOFXtAHg7vU?t=37m40s . Felicia's character gets stabbed by a knife, the GM says that the knife does extra damage to magical beings, Wil likens that to psychic damage, Felicia uses this as grounds to take a mental consequence to avoid some of the stress, they call the aspect "Knife of Self Loathing", and then the GM describes the consequence as a piece of Felicia's character's goodness getting cut. That type of collaboration is exactly what Fate is about. They took a simple knife attack and made it a knife that cuts the minds of magical beings, and now she has that consequence written down and in front of her. (This video is full of this shit, it's a pretty great video for seeing how the game is played. you can also play it harder if you want).

This all seems very gimmicky...

>Not giving the BBEG Superb Will

It can do _some_ things quite well. For starters, pick-up games and ensembles of varying power levels.

It's no more gimmicky than any other TTRPG's rulesets. Honestly, Fate is pretty honest with you about what it is. It's a bare-bones system that lets you do just about anything with it with very little effort.

What that user isn't telling you is that to change the game-world in some way, you have to spend Fate points. While they're in no way limited because you get them back fairly often, you only have 3. So in his example with that knife, that's at least one Fate point from two different characters, who now only have 2 more each for getting bonuses, and they have no idea what else the thing they're fighting does.
Other than that, the game is very rules-lite in the way that the skills are the only REAL central mechanic of the game. Aspects? They modify skills. Stunts? Special ways you can use skills. Skills? They're your skills. In that way, Fate is very easy to learn. It's when you start to realize how versatile and useful Fate points are that you go deeper. And that can go very deep indeed.

I wouldn't say it's an 'easy to learn, hard to master' system, exactly, but it's definitely more complicated than it seems at first glance just because of how you can use Fate points. I think the best way Fate's ever been described here on Veeky Forums is that Fate is a TTRPG made by GMs for GMs. It expects you to create and build the world alongside the GM, rather than just playing in it. That might seem gimmicky, but it's literally something that TTRPGs have been basically trying to tell players in every 'so what is an RPG' chapter ever.

>If your GM sends you a setting document and expects you to show up with a character sheet then it's time to worry, homie don't know Fate

Not necessarily. Rather, it means the DM needs to understand that their precious setting IS going to be altered. As long as they get that, it's fine. For example, I was playing as said DM for one campaign based in a medieval fantasy setting. The PCs were tired and cranky from finding no clues in their investigation of some weird magical phenomena, and being in transit between two towns. With no villages or anything nearby on the map. So one player finally said, "Fuck it, my character remembers that there was a small village around here, it's not on the map because it's a little remote." So he spent a fate point, and the village totally existed despite not being a part of the pre-made game world. They went there, and it was sadly abandoned... But in a very suspicious way. And that's how they got the clues they needed AND a good rest in decent beds.

TL;DR: A DM can have a pre-made setting for a Fate campaign as long as they understand that it's not and never can be a railroad. Fate's mechanics make it very rail-road resistant.

Can some point me on cool recent FATE settings, without FATE Accelerated?

Fate is like freeform, everybody better have a good instinct for "what should happen next" and roll with it, otherwise nothing happens.
One way to handle aspects is to list them on big index cards in front of everyone and enforce the attitude that you MUST reference an aspect in order to attempt to change the scene. Keeps everything itemized to affset the vagueness of the freeform.
I also suggest make sure you encode into your back and forth dialogue exchange, some mechanical method to have CONSTANT compell fate point exchange, otherwise it's easy to forget about it.

Good luck.

I've said in previous Fate threads that it's a great game when you have a great group that really understands it. But I'd maintain that if you have that great group, you can probably use any system too.

I get your point, but when I play Fate, it's more because I want to do something without a lot of rules. It's a great tool for keeping Freeforms from devolving into cops and robbers nonsense. It's not quite a freeform at that point, but making a Fate character is very fast and easy, and the rules are easy to understand and learn on the fly.

For more structured campaigns, of course, I use other games, but Fate does one thing really well, and that's basically letting people freeform while having a decent conflict resolution mechanic.

>So in his example with that knife, that's at least one Fate point from two different characters, who now only have 2 more each for getting bonuses...

This specific example isn't necessarily true, that knife situation took place completely inside regular conversation between the players and GM, no Fate Points spent.

While it is true that Compels require Fate Points to suggest, these Fate Points are typically going straight to another player, and the GM will frequently generate Fate Points for Compels throughout the game, and a lot of invocations are free because they come from bonuses and advantages.

Um, your own, you dummmy

I'm totally stealing some shit I found in the Interface Zero Fate adaptation

Even if Fate were stripped of Aspects—down to 4dF vs. 4dF resolutions, shifts, skill columns, and stunts—practically just FUDGE, I'd still consider it a strong baseline.
The lack of classes and inventory management (which I find is frequently ignored even when it's part of a system) is a good thing, I think.

It's definitely a great tool for any GM's toolbox, especially because the investment is so minimal. It's particularly good for impromptu sessions where you just want people to make characters quickly.

I'd still like the aspects, but yea, pretty much. I don't know why so many fa/tg/uys hate the system, it might not be the most feature-rich game, but what it does have is solid. The only thing I hate about the game is how progression makes no sense, on top of it being slower than a government bureaucrat you've pissed off.

Holy shit that might be the worst RPG book cover I've ever seen.

I don't worry about progression too much, so I'm in the clear

However, the small interval of the numbers you can use on the skills lends to this sluggishness.

I mean, I run a game where you get 15 points to spend in the beginning, maximum skill rating at +3. It gives me more room to turn the "better than the usual civilian" protagonists into a group of badasses.

Basically a DM can't carry the game like they can in other systems right?

Oh you sweet summer child.

>Be GMing a solo game for a friend that recommended the system
>Hardly do any rolls
>Decide to run a session of combat to test things out
>Combat would have ended at a normal pace...
>...and then since we're doing Venture City rules, I failed to realize that Armor: 4 would turn the battle into a flat out stalemate.

I mean, having the PC with armor is fine, but when enemies have it the fight goes nowhere because the solo character only has one fucking attack without going full Collateral. Perhaps things will be better when the objective isn't solely a 1vs1 duel.