EDH/COMMANDER GENERAL /edhg/

UST Out, RIX In Edition

When Last We Left Our Heroes: >Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What do you want to see in Rivals of Ixalan, and how does that compare to what you think we will see?

Other urls found in this thread:

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-of-clan-dead-shit/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-feat-dudes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-12-17-reyhan-tana/
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=373542
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201129),
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=405194)
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386290):
gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380435)
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168315891653/what-formats-can-spike-tournament-grinder-grab
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168119473668/i-am-somewhat-confused-based-on-your-answer-and
markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168138102788/fyi-the-rule-getting-in-the-way-of-spike-in
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>What do you want to see in Rivals of Ixalan
Giant black creatures. VOLRATH HUNGERS

Also more hatebear-type creatures would be neat.

posting again in new thread

So if I exile a creature with astral slide and then die does it come back? I lean towards no because you don't get any triggers and all your effects are exiled but I'm not 100%

Which of my decks does my newly acquired Asceticism go in? Who benefits the most?

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/meren-of-clan-dead-shit/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/rhys-feat-dudes/
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/03-12-17-reyhan-tana/

Guys, I have a question, don't know if it's too dumb or not.

I've been reading about the rules regarding commanders, that started with an argument between my friends about whether or not Godsend works for commanders.

I've read in several places that no, it does not work, about replacement yada yada.
But then I've read that a card like Curse of the Swine will give you a token.
Why is that? The wording of the two cards are identical, Godsend doesn't state that the Commander has to enter the exile zone.
Why does it happen?
I'm really fucking confused.

Rhys

More raid.

Rhys feat. Dudes

It does not.

No it does not come back. Here's the rule, which actually uses Astral Slide as an example, funny enough.

Here's the official Comp. Rule covering that issue:
600.4c If an object owned by a player who has left the game would be put into any zone, it leaves the game instead. (This includes abilities that would be put onto the stack.)
Example: Astral Slide is an enchantment that reads, "Whenever a player cycles a card, you may remove target creature from the game. If you do, return that creature to play under its owner's control at end of turn." During Alex's turn, Bianca uses Astral Slide's ability to remove Alex's Hypnotic Specter from the game. Before the end of that turn, Bianca leaves the game. At end of turn, the delayed triggered ability generated by Astral Slide that would return Hypnotic Specter to play triggers, but it leaves the game rather than being put on the stack. Hypnotic Specter never returns to play

Curse of swine does not give a token for "exiling" a commander unless the owner lets it go to the exile zone. Godsend doesn't shut down commanders. Instead of the commander being exiled, replacement yada yada.

"Exiled by godsend" in game terms means cards that are in exile put there by godsend.

I get that that's kind of confusing since in plain language "exiled by godsend" would mean anything that has been exiled by it. But it's a static ability that's checking for any cards that are currently in exile.

Wherever you read about curse of swine was wrong.

Card rulings at the bottom.

Okay, I was pretty sure that's how that worked but I watched a commander vs and they played it wrong so I wanted to make sure I wasn't the retard.

Even though the card isn't removed from the game the exile effect of Curse of the Swine still triggered targeting the commander so they get the token. The explanations I've seen online usually talk about similar examples with rest in peace and creatures being destroyed and such. Curse of the swine isn't dependent on the creature being removed from the game, just that the creature would be exiled. Using replacement doesn't change that it would be exiled.

Replacement = "instead of". Commander doesn't get exiled at all, so neither card works. You don't get a 2/2 and your opponents can cast spells with the same name as a commander removed with godsend.

While we're on the subject of rules, I want to make sure I have this interaction right.

Say I have Edgar Markov and a Cathar's Crusade in play, and I go to cast any Vampire. Everything happens as follows:
>Vamp goes on the stack
>Edgar triggers, resolves, token comes into play
>Cathar's triggers, resolves, puts a +1/+1 counter on the token
>Vamp resolves
>Cathar's triggers and resolves again, vamp and token both get +1/+1 counter

commander players are so good at magic

correct

What are some colorless or blue and/or black non-legendary creatures that would be completely busted and game-breaking if they could be commanders?

Yeah, except the ruling on Curse of the Swine states that yes, you do get a boar. It doesn't make any fucking sense.
it says "For each creature exiled this way", that makes it seem that it is dependent if it's actually removed or not.

Don't lie

I agree with you for sure but that's just poor wording on their part. As to why Godsend definitely doesn't work its because the card isn't exiled with Godsend once its in the command zone. The same thing would happen in a normal game if they processed the exiled card with an eldrazi. The thing with curse of swine is you have to look at it as them being too dumb or too lazy to print "for each creature that would be exiled". There's tons of cards with obscure interactions you have to read rulings for to really get the answers, curse of swine is just a lot newer than most of them

>getting screwed over by somebody in your multiplayer game
>about to lose anyways
>cycle all your cards, exiling whatever you can and then leave the game out of spite

There is a difference in the wording, as Godsend is a linked effect, and there are explicit rules about those meaning that when something refers to a card exiled "with" whatever, it specifically refers to cards currently in exile that were placed there by effect.

I don't think that's pertinent here, though. Regenerating a Cosmic Horror prevents its "destroyed in this way" trigger (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=201129), so surely Commander-ing a commander equally prevents "exiled in this way". Is there some special rule about exile that I'm forgetting?

I think the ruling might just be wrong and whatever judge made it was just less on-the-ball about exile replacement that he would have been for more common destroy-replacement effects.

Time for opening hand posting

As long as it's a valid target then the spell resolves. Once the spell has resolved, since it is not static, it only has an instantaneous moment to check whether a card gets exiled or not. While the first sentence "happens first" the card is still resolving in one instanteous moment, and so it can't actually check whether something has gone into exile. Because of this, a ruling was made that establishes that the card is assuming all its valid targets get exiled.

Prossh?

Likely just a mistake. My friend group is familiar enough with replacement effects to ignore the obviously wrong ruling.

That's still inconsistent with destroy effects - for instance, see the rulings on cards like Deadly Tempest (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=405194) or Fracturing Gust (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=386290):

>Creatures that aren’t destroyed this way (perhaps because they regenerated or have indestructible) don’t count toward the life lost.

But it seems to be consistently applied for Commander exile replacement - for instance, Hour of Need (gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=380435) also has the same ruling.

Either there's something special about exile that I'm not thinking of, or there's a fairly substantial inconsistency in the rulings for it.

>get stonehewer giant
>don’t tutor for dark steel and worldbreaker

I’m so bad at this game

>Darksteel
>not his bigger STD-infested cousin

I’m game.

Prossh is my guess. Maybe Shattergang Brothers?

but user, that card is infected.

omnath

>I watched a commander vs and they played it wrong
It blows my fucking mind how those guys have been playing so long and still don't know basic shit like that. t
>mfw those idiot casuals are exactly the kind of player the rules committee has in mind when making rulings.

Necrotic Ooze and Havengul Litch
Litch being legendary would be so fucking silly.

well this is fucking terrible

If Notion Thief was legendary, I would literally never play any other deck.

Alesha

Damn, how'd you guess?

In our group, we've had to legislate that out. You can only concede at the beginning of your turn, before your untap step.

Can't concede to avoid lifelink, or to make sure O-Rings or whatever stay exiled, etc.

Not busted, but Lich Lord of Unx would kick so much ass as a legendary. I'd pilot the fuck out of a Zombie deck with that guy.

I know Scarab God is better but Lich Lord was the first rare I ever pulled. He whupped ass in that draft.

it's actually just a vagueness in the vocabulary. "destroy" is a specific game action but "exiled" is both a past-tense action and an adjective in game terms. the commander rule replaces "going to exile" with "going to the command zone" the creatures is exiled, much like it would be destroyed, but after being exiled it didn't go to exile, it went to the command zone instead. the action was performed, but the end result was replaced. this is consistent with if you destroy a commander it doesn't go to the graveyard, but was destroyed. regeneration is different because it is a replacement for the actual action of destroying something. if you regenerate a creature it was never destroyed at all.

BRW color identity, only creatures have power 2 or less, sac outlet on the land. I played her for a while as land destruction but the principles are similar.

Nope, although it did used to be Prossh.

>What do you want to see in Rivals of Ixalan

More good fliplands enchantments/artifacts. The Blue/Red one looked pretty rad, but I'm curious if they're just doing enemy pairs or all 10.

An equipment that gives +X/+X where X is the number of treasures you control.

More dumb fat rares I could fit in decks that people underestimate like Fleet Swallower.

An actually good Draft environment

R/U artifact commander please wizards

Legendary notion thief already got printed and banned, buddy.

I know. I played Leobro for the short time I could. The shitty thing is, it wasn't because he was too competitive. I only used the deck for high power games and it was always a 3v1, and I was fine with that, I won about as much as I lost. No, he was banned because he was too good for casuals, people who don't pack removal or counters and whined and cried about getting wheeled.
Good night, sweet prince. Gone but not forgotten.

That makes more sense, but does seem to contradict 406.2., which specifically defines "exiled".

>406.2. To exile an object is to put it into the exile zone from whatever zone it’s currently in. An exiled card is a card that’s been put into the exile zone.

That seems to state that anything that doesn't hit the exile zone shouldn't count as exiled, much as it doesn't die if it doesn't hit the graveyard.

By contrast, "destroy" only has the first half of that language:

>701.7a To destroy a permanent, move it from the battlefield to its owner’s graveyard.

which makes it clearer that "destroyed" and "died" are separated, as it's instead part of the "die" rules:

>700.4. The term dies means “is put into a graveyard from the battlefield.”

The fact that destroy / die has that definition split whereas exile has both halves definitely still has me erring that as currently written exile replacement should mean that "exiled" effects don't happen, but it's definitely one of those awkward "inference from what wasn't written" situations, like whether in 3.5E Shades let you cast all Sor/Wiz Conjurations or just (Summoning) and (Creation) subtypes. Is there a clear comprehensive rule on past-tense action terms? It could definitely do with one, especially if they're going to explicitly define them and not make it clear if that's only supposed to apply to one of two ways to use them.

Hey, I'm finally at home when ya'll are doing this so I can take a photo. I'm keeping, by the way.

Yisan?

This is hysterically obvious.

Hello, Volrath, how's it going in your shallow grave?

Fuckin' great. Last time I played this deck I swung lethal on turn 4. And to think I wanted to take this deck apart.

VOLRATH HUNGERS

Reki.

Same mana cost, but I don't think any self-respecting Yisan deck would run Jugan.

I really like this deck. Its also the only deck with much interaction in my group

Rishkar?

Ramos.

Yup. I have so many foil charms and it makes me so happy to play every time. I do have to avoid going off though since the deck pretty consistently can win on like turn 5-6 and my group isn't really very good at magic

Except even if you play removal he's still shitty because of the card draw and costing 3 mana base.

>>Thread Question
>What do you want to see in Rivals of Ixalan, and how does that compare to what you think we will see?
i think they've been experimenting with some red ramp options. i would love to see more red ramp via treasures or a similar mechanic. allowing red to temporarily boost it's mana options gives red more explosiveness.

I got all the legendas from unstable except spike and Calcutron.

What should I build/ what will not piss off people. Phoebe looks like a hoot but I feel like people will potentially hate me off the table with it.

It is Reki.

Jumblemorph for days.

I want to build zedru, give people chronatog and chronatog totem and just mindlsaver them into skipping turns.

I feel like jumblemorph and mary are the only legends that struggle to work in commander due to the limited card pool with their gimmick on it

>built gruul wort a few days ago, finally played today
>5 copies of burn at the stake for 42 each

Beautiful, I like this already

The ruling isn't wrong you mong, it is that way because it happens during resolution while Godsend's similar ability does not.
There is a difference between can't be exiled and a replacement effect that happens when you would be exiled.

Anyone building this guy? I'm thinking dicerolls/contraptions/tokens and a bit of coin flipping and random chance.

Generate infinite mana and nuke the card shop from orbit with dice, it's the only way to be sure.

Do you have to roll them all at the same time, or can you just roll them one at a time?

me and my friend haven't played mtg in about a decade and we decided to play one game of proxy commander together.
Since many of us are inexperienced and we don't know how to sureaim at the right competitive/fun level, we decided to restrict deckbuilding to cards from Ravnica, return to ravnica blocks + morningtide/shadowmoore + magic origins.

would you say the card pool is big enough? do you have any suggestion of any kind?

Never mind, they all have to leave your hand at the same time.

We did a 10 man Unstable draft to play a game of 5-headed giant as the box (I assume jokingly) suggested and we had a goddamn blast. Now I kinda wish some Unstable cards are here to stay. Contraptions are a delight and kinda balanced by having to put 15 of them in your deck in Contructed formats, so you can't just pick the three most broken ones and guarantee to hit big on each of your sprockets.

What kinds of decks do you two like? I could recommend sets to add in some nice stuff for mechanics that the two of you want to play around with.

On Draft weekend I saw someone play this guy for X=6. All the dice bounced off the playmat and into the floor. Apparently the secret tech (as stated by another user) is 1-inch foam dice so they don’t bounce off the surface and go flying. As for the build, I don’t really have any recommendations other than Krark’s thumbs.

sorry i fucked up, i meant "friends". we are 4.
one of us already chose The Grand Arbiter and plans to be as oppressive as he can.
unless i find some very resilient and well scaling aggro deck i plan to be a huge faggot with niv mizzet or the WB ghost council.

I want to build The Big Idea dicerolling for 1v1 as black has the most impactful dice rollers and dice modifiers and red has access to the most dice rolling, i feel like Buzzark is a surefire way to lose dice

You posted this ages ago, commander needs a huge pool of cards due to it's 100 card nature. Just set an artificial budget cap of 120usd ish

One land hand, but I'd still keep.

you could search with spike, un cards are banned in every format. although in edh people wll argue spike is a wish card and a sideboard is needed,

user you should really upgrade from that Razr. I know they were cool like 7 years ago but there are better phones that don't cost too much now

Thought Vessel's in there so it's definitely not Kruphix, and it turns out TV's played third to most in Ezuri. Also makes sense given the drone and sub-three power things.

Uncards aren't banned, they simply aren't legal. It would be like claiming that spike can tutor every card older than battle for zendikar since they aren't standard legal.

These rules brainlets are why uncards should never have been made legal for EDH

You could tutor up any of the temporarily banned un-cards though

What's the ideal way to pull this off? Just slot these into a rector combo deck alongside barren glory?

>would be like claiming that spike can tutor every card older than battle for zendikar since they aren't standard legal
gotcha, so un-cards are legacy legal, right?

man, they really forgot to ban spike.

No, you couldn't. Since those are all banned by Sheldor and not WotC. If they count unofficial banlists for fanmade formats then you could make up a banlist and format on the spot to tutor literally any card.

These goddamn brainlets, I swear man.

Sheldon is the one who allowed the uncards in the first place. if you arent playing with his rules then why even allow spike? checkmate brainlet

tana+silas renn

>gotcha, so un-cards are legacy legal, right?

They aren't legal, but they also aren't banned.

Oh, if we are playing by official commander rules spike can't tutor fucking anything, you would have to houserule it otherwise.

Checkmate brainlet.

white has a couple of enchantment tutors and WG has a tutor for multicolored cards.

i don't know if there are other good ways to trigger the cheese stands alone/barren glory, but i know that red suspend creature card that allows you to sacrifice any permanent to remove time counters off it is a good attempt at it.

You're right but for the wrong reasons.

See
>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168315891653/what-formats-can-spike-tournament-grinder-grab
>(that includes Commander)

However
>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168119473668/i-am-somewhat-confused-based-on-your-answer-and
>The one big exception to this rule is Commander.

The reason being
>markrosewater.tumblr.com/post/168138102788/fyi-the-rule-getting-in-the-way-of-spike-in
>players have to agree on using "outside the game cards" prior to the start of the game, and what that covers (be it a sideboard or their collection).

So, unless your playgroup is a bunch of complete morons, they're going to tell you and your Chaos Confetti to fuck right off, because everyone must agree on what cards Spike or any Wish effect can grab.

Greater Gargadon is that red creature. Red also gives a generic tutor in the way of Gamble, for access to a combo piece to the hand/grave (in colors pretty good at ungraving things).

You can't rely on Gargodon too much without something to get rid of him. He can only eat a maximum of 9 things without ruining everything by showing up in person.

WotC made their own commander banlist, which is the banlist I assume he is referencing.

Second off, I don't see how I'm wrong about you having to houserule spike to make her work. She can't grab anything in commander thanks to rule 13.

Do goodstuff decks have more varies games? I've made all mine with specific goals and functions. they play the same every game. Goodstuff the cure to this monotony??

>I don't see how I'm wrong about you having to houserule spike to make her work. She can't grab anything in commander thanks to rule 13.

The fact that rule 13 tells you to do it means it's not houseruling, because it's an actual formal part of the Commander rules. Deciding the scope of Wish effects is just following instructions.