When playing with gold pieces = experience points in d&d, you eventually accumulate quite a lot of gold...

When playing with gold pieces = experience points in d&d, you eventually accumulate quite a lot of gold. What are the player characters to spend that gold on?

Statues of themselves.
Wine.
Whores.
Statues of themselves wining and whoring.

Sex and violence.

Building stuff. Castles for fighters, wizard's tower, churches, stuff like that. Hiring and equipping hirelings. Paying for expeditions to new places to adventure in when they bore of the place they're in now.

As in the original DnD, castles. Land. Towers. Spellbooks. Research. Absurdly expensive magic swords.

Expedition to get more gold.

If you're party has a habit of hoarding gold, have them be the victim of a really harsh robbery. (I had a night time Slaad attack on their boat) Its only fair that if you are walking around with half the GDP of a small city in gold that people are going to notice and become covetous. The adventure of getting back their treasure without any money at all was really fun, especially when they end up failing all their persuasion checks for writing IOUs over a meal.

If the year realize they can lose it in coinage form they will try to secure it in property and assets etc.

This is my kind of party

also, combining it with to have your own town where you come and the wine flows for you like rivers, and the whores all know your name

Dragon insurance.

Sounds pretty good.

t. Miser DM.

This is where the castle comes into play. Fortify the shit put of it, ward your vault to the point that even your party would have a very hard time breaking in, and make sure to do proper upkeep of the surrounding area to keep the locals happy.

You now have a secure place to store your dragon's horde worth of gold and have a reason to only carry around smaller portions of it unless you plan on making a REALLY big purchase.

My game's based in Renaissance England. Party started with very little, thus renting their dwelling. With enough money gathered, they eventually had to hire a guard to watch it (and pay him well enough that he wasn't tempted to just make off with it). As word got around about their suddenly accumulated wealth, they soon drew the attention of some unsavoury types; when one thing led to another and their wizard was outed, they had to figure out a way to move their money while fleeing town.

Start a bank.

servants to carry the gold

>the second you step away an invincible army of dragons destroys everything you invested in.

I'm on to you...

Training
Sages
Building stuff

I also like the optional rule where wasting money "banks" XP for a new character, should that PC die.

OP some play with an xp=money spent. Players will spend all their money on pointless shit as quickly as possible to get their XP. Even throw in +10% xp gain for frivolous spending and encourage them to live a Rockstar lifestyle.

So, in AD&D, the first mechanism to prevent cash accumulation is the monthly fee of 100 gp. If the players bitch, explain that that represents the cost of their drinking, whoring, paying the room they trashed after they brought two hookers and a goat up there, etc., not to mention equipment replacement/repair for the less high-rolling party members.

Second, there's the 10% tithe that your religious characters are paying on everything they earn. Note that that's in addition to any donations they may chose to make, and that all party members should regularly be hit up for cash by any religious orders they might be affiliated with. Even if your characters aren't "religious," surely they can spare a few gold to help fix the leaky roof of the local church? Make sure there are reputation penalties for any party member who doesn't regularly chip in some cash for the religious works; word gets around when the wealthy don't give any money to charity, and it's not looked on kindly.

Third, remember that they DO need to save cash up for when they hit name level, and start building castles and founding guilds. None of that is free, and if they want to enjoy the perks of reaching high level, they're going to need a big stock of gold to jump-start their ambitions. So even if they've accumulated "quite a lot of gold," it's hopefully not more than they know what to do with.

Violent sex, or sexy violence?

this works pretty well. if your players fancy being more heroic, you can also give them good causes to donate their money to and maybe give them a bonus for doing so - if they're going to waste all their gold anyway, they could choose to help get a struggling town back on its feet, buy slaves in order to set them free, and so on

Funding conflict all across the game world. Essentially becoming a George Soros type character and adding a Risk type element to the game.

My DM always makes hirelings fucking garbage, along with followers or apprentices. I hear of so many cool games with followers and troops playing as big a roll as the characters and being awesome. Ours always are played to be retarded on purpose by the DM just to screw the party, even if we give them commands in game.

That's actually....excellent.

I've always wanted some king or something to send a bunch of badass tax collectors to try to take money form the party.