Weekend Warcraft Lore General

Not Compensating For Anything Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/1dTxcHulFBI
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

What storyline are you guys looking forward to reliving the most when Classic hits?

You know the answer pretty damn well.
youtu.be/1dTxcHulFBI

This, but also Tirion's quests.

seeing the BRM questline for the first time, or just general Plaguelands stuff

The warlock and hunter unique questlines

Druids are written so fucking terribly, especially Nelf ones.
>we must protect the balance of nature, adventurer!
>but only if its cute and cuddly nature, the rest doesn't matter
>now go bring me ten wolf asses to stop them from harming their natural prey

That's a problem not exclusive to WoW druids.

Threadly reminder that elves and trolls are the true azerothians

Titanforged and Orcs should fuck off

Been playing private servers for years, will continue to. Blizz will never get my shekels again. The answer was the Defias, though. I'll say questing through the Barrens with the ambience turned up as a lone orc warrior on one of the more low-pop servers was also cool as fuck, just running around slaying the enemies of the Horde and helping the settlers of the Crossroads. Arathi was also a lot cooler than I remembered.

Maxamillion

user... Maximillian of Northshire wasn't in Vanilla.

But elves and trolls are the byproduct of titan fuckery. If anything, the elementals (and maybe the aqir) are the true natives

Those are big and iconic, but playing on a private server I've been surprised at rediscovering how long even "forgettable" questlines were. The last one I did was the Linken chain, and man...
>find some stuff in a lake in Un'goro
>bring it to Linken at the expedition
>he sends you to talk to a dwarf in Winterspring
>she sends you to another dwarf in Feralas for an ingredient
>to get the ingredient from him you have to get him a rare plant
>to get the plant you have to either sneak past an unkillable gnoll, or slowfall off a mountain top
>go back to Winterspring, receive a potion
>get sent to Tanaris, drink the potion in a specific spot
>it kills you so you can talk to the ghost of a blacksmith
>he says you need to kill a water elemental for a macguffin
>do so, finally return to Un'goro
>finish the questline by using the macguffin to kill a fire elemental on top of a volcano
>get my boomerang aand a glowing sword
I won't lie. It was a bit of a bitch. But damn if it wasn't satisfying.

>Linken
>forgettable
Get out.

That's the kind of thing I'm looking forward to in classic, I try to explain what it was like to my friends but you just don't get a full sense of what the world felt like back then until you experience it.

Night elves just hate wolves. In Suramar you help some night elf refugees construct a moonwell and to make it work you need the blessings of three animal 'leaders.' You know who those leaders are? An elk, a large cat, and a lionowl or whatever it's called.

You know which leader you kill? The wolves. Because apparently their opinion on the well doesn't matter.

Zandalari Paladins. Anyone else as eager for them as me?

I like that Zandalari Freethinkers are basically paladins of heresy.

Yes, my paladin will be a prelate the instant BFA hits assuming it's possible.

I didn't realize they were confirmed. Sounds pretty hype.

Dudes, I need some advice.

I'm planning to rez a troll character from the (figurative) grave and at some point I kinda fell for the idea that the reason she'd been MIA for the last three(?) in-game years was because she'd lost her regeneration. I know trolls may lose their regeneration if they turn away from their tribal Loa, and I've also heard that it can be heavily disrupted my steep emotional turmoil.

So before I quit she'd actually been violently expunged from her warband for helping a traitor escape punishment and it kind of messed her up hard, so emotional turmoil, strike one. Before this she had fallen very far out of Darkspear mysticism and into the somewhat extreme and manufactured rituals of the warband (which was a particularly nasty Warsong offshoot), so strike two.

What I'd like to do with the character is play through her spiritual reawakening and her reconnecting with the Darkspear's tribal Loa, eventually regaining her regeneration and her will to fight. But I'm not convinced that this idea isn't retarded. Am I just being a snowflake, assuming I play her lack of regeneration completely straight, or even limit her to something slower than normal?

The best part about the Zandalari will be the new troll armor sets introduced into the game.

I can't make a good mog set out of the ZG/ZA stuff to save my life.

That sounds like a really interesting character concept to me, far more thought out than I'd say most RP characters are. Good luck finding anyone on the level enough to RP with on retail, though.

There's actually a spiritually focused Old Horde guild I'm looking to join which should fit the character.

Even better, they're based out of Grizzly Hills, which she has a lot of history with. I'm hoping that will make for some fun character moments.

That's a really funny coincidence, user. My troll is going through almost the same character arc at the moment. He was intensely loyal and devoted to Vol'jin, and seeing him die of poison while unable to do a thing about it broke something in him.

Currently doing a similar spiritual reawakening and going deeper into shadow hunter and Loa-worshipping traditions as well.

10/10

>stronga
Says the chump who has tried and failed to start a global troll revolution... 4 times? At least the Darkspear know how to properly ride an ally's coattails.

soooo, source?

Probably Illegal Danish.

Nice, hope it works out well.

Artist's tag is fizzz. Should be easy to find from there.

They are not confirmed. There are examples of them in the game and it would fit them desu, but the devs haven't said anything.

On a related note, how likely are dark iron shamans? You gotta have at least some elemental atunement to summon the fucking firelord, and there are plenty fire and earth elementals in brd. Theres also pic related

They should just make all classes available to all player characters and make them switchable too.

The zandalari eyes are really wierd

I liked Turalyon for being crusading paladin bro archetype character. Why blizz brought him back as a neutral literal cuckold who literally stood and watched as a naaru imprisoned his wife? WTF?!

Because if he was cool, people might pay less attention to Illidan on Argus and we can't have that.

Because imprisonment really was the best option. Xe'ra could have melted either of them at that point, as Alleria hadn't consumed that much void power and all the extra power Turalyon has was granted by her.

Xe'ra was the living embodiment of Lawful Stupid, except she was also the law to her Army.

I always loved Digimons.

We need evolved Humans and Orcs too.

He got into Xe'ra's light.

More recently, that was Zul's Zandalari. Rastakhan and his loyalists remained neutral.

The Zandalari have also survived for at least 12,0000 years while the Darkspear almost got killed first by stronger tribes in Stranglethorn that ousted them, and then by a bunch of naga and murlocs.

Don't get me wrong, though. I like Darkspear, which is why I'm eager to see what goes on with Vol'jin's story in BfA and Zandalar.

Cause no one cares about WC2 characters. Enjoy your green jesus, dead bitch and crazy bitch in BFA.

>OGRE DIGIVOLVE TO...
>orc

>VRYKUL DIGIVOLVE TO...
>human

"wtf, they got smaller"

While probably true, it doesn't change that Turalyon didn't release her after they launched Xe'ra at Azeroth so she could bitch us out about killing her crush, leaving him in charge.

Then we also have the scene where you go to rescue the rest of Xe'ra from the crashed ship, and when Alleria points out what she did last time, Turalyon just sort of goes "W-well honey, s-surely Xe'ra will be nicer this time"

I hope Khadgar will visit Sons of Lothar graves after Sylvanas slaughters them all in BFA.

I hope turalyon dies in BFA, him and alleria are a bunch of stuck up twats. Like excuse me? I'm a fucking citizen of Lordaeron and you're going to treat me like shit to my face? Maybe you should ask yourself what the fuck your precious alliance has been up to in 10,000 years.

Like if all the high elves and all that remains of lordaeron joined the horde maybe they had a damn good reason to since they obviously weren't conquered by the horde.

Gods what a fucking bitch.

Varian was also a "controversial" character, when he first appeared back in WotLK. Just give Turalyon time to grow as a character. [Implying that he will not be killed in the next xpac]

>Sons of Lothar graves after Sylvanas slaughters them all in BFA
I can see that happening.

>time to grow as a character
hahahahahahahahahaha

They just retconned away everything bad Varian did with an alternate personality. Don't think they can retcon salvage Turalyon like that unless they say that Xe'ra literally brainwashed him into a cucked Draenei weaboo and it hasn't quite started to wear off yet. Not that I'd mind if it meant saving him at this point.

Maybe we'll get more attention on him with void elves coming out. On that note, what about his son who has a light dad and void mom?

>Draenei weaboo
But I kinda love him for being a "space knight"...

Come to think at it, the Iron Horde was the digivolved orcs.

And my headcannon evolved humans are a normal human-metallic vrykul middle term.

They should Rule 63 Turyalon.

>what about his son
He will join Rhonin twins

Space knight is fine, him literally spouting random Draenei phrases and greetings while acting all detached from his homeland is a different story.

I keep expecting him to click on him and get "Gomenesai, my name is High Exarch Turalyon."

>saving him at this point.
He is not lost as a character. Not yet. There is still hope, user.

>space knight
After a thousand year war and being infused with Light, dude might as well be a full fledged Primarch.

Why horde gets upright orcs and trolls and alliance literally nothing? Could at least give them skinny or fat humans

Oh shit, that's true. Man, Varian and Moira really are the only people allowed to be parents in WoW, aren't they?

>Varian and Moira
Also Genn

Even without the "she lost her regeneration" angle, the simple fact that your character lost track of what was important in life and is looking to reconnect with their spiritual traditions seems like more than enough explanation.

They laid low because they became disillusioned/disconnected/depressed and have just been sitting around not doing shit, not dealing with family/friends, or doing anything of note for 3 years. Even if they were physically capable of doing stuff, they were in no real mental/spiritual state of mind.

Darkspear apparently don't get to stand up straight.

No, Sylvannas fixed that for him.

Well, at least they gave him a great character model.

No, Paladins have been diluted enough by Cows.

You forgetting about Tess, who got a spotlight in Legion

Give it time. He's already one down.

If Khadgar is neutral in BfA, then there will be no full Sons of Lothar reunion?

I liked Hecular's quest in Hills-B-Rad, plaguelands stuff, Naxxramas, old pvp

They had a little reunion in Legion, minus Danath and Kurdran though.

>Khadgar is neutral in BfA
what?!

Zandalari paladins have been a thing since vanilla, so a little late for that.

>Zandalari paladins
Paladin = knight. Trolls could not be knights, cause they are tribal.

More accurately, Khadgar is absent. He's returning to Karazhan (and probably raven-ing around to other places) to try and find a way to repair the wound in the world while Red Team and Blue Team are busy stealing all the Titan Blood they can get their hands on and slapping their collective dicks together.

They were also referenced as existing in ancient days in the wars with the Qiraji and were, even then, seen as heretics. Useful heretics, but heretics all the same.

>acting all detached from his homeland

He lived on a space ship twenty times longer than he lived on Azeroth. Plus he's hardly detached since he's siding with the Alliance against the Horde scum.

Zandalari are a structured empire with castes, they're not tribal like the Darkspear.

That made me so fucking angry as a fan of WC2 and that era of lore and the characters on both sides. The Turalyon we knew back then would have saved Illidan the time and ripped the windchime to shreds long before he needed to.

He literally says that his old life is passed and barely seems to care. And that doesn't change the stupidity of him greeting orc PCs like old buddies.

>Zandalari paladins have been a thing since vanilla

No they were not. Paladins just got a troll sect's armour like everyone else.

>he's siding with the Alliance against the Horde scum.
But why? My orc helped him on Argus!

The Prelates in Throne of Thunder used paladin moves, so I assume that Freethinkers were a separate branch?

>He literally says that his old life is passed and barely seems to care.

Again not true, since he's joining the Alliance to fight the Horde.

>And that doesn't change the stupidity of him greeting orc PCs like old buddies.

Time heals all wounds, he's probably seen enough of the Legion to cool on the Orcs.

This. Turalyon and Alleria should be netural like their buddy Khadgar.

Said troll sect was explicitly compared to modern paladins over those quests. And even beyond that, we have literal paladin Zandalari NPCs in WoW since then, so there's plenty of precedent.

Horde attacks the Alliance.
He's not going to stand for that shit.

>their buddy Khadgar.
Khadgar doesn't care about them or about his own race.
Hell, he was present at Vol'jin's funeral, yet he was "too busy" to be present at Varian's funeral.

I guess. I'm a Horde player who was a fan of him, so I felt it was stupid especially considering what happened to Lothar, but oh well, somewhat a case of gameplay priority I guess.

>Said troll sect was explicitly compared to modern paladins over those quests.

So? Tyr is compared to paladins too and he's not a Paladin.

>And even beyond that, we have literal paladin Zandalari NPCs in WoW

Some trash in ToT had Paladin like abilities, but so what? Still doesn't make them a good fit.

At the same time Khadgar is "going to stand for that shit".

People have different personalities and so react to things in different ways?
Incredible!

>So? Tyr is compared to paladins too and he's not a Paladin.
???
Tyr was a warrior who wielded light magic and literally was the founding ideal of the Silver Hand and the human's worship of the light. What else would you call him?
>Some trash in ToT had Paladin like abilities, but so what? Still doesn't make them a good fit.
Well that's just like your opinion man.

The Horde didn't help the Army of the Light. Class hall leaders did, otherwise Nightborne, Highmountain Tauren, and Zandalari would also be neutral because both Horde and Alliance players aided all 3.

Also, Velen and his draenei aided the army of the Light (namely with their warship and purple aesthetics instead of gold everything).

Additionally, many of the Army of the Light would be ancestors or relatives to the Azerothian draenei, and following the burning of Teldrassil, the Exodar would be next on the chopping block. You think an army of crusading space zealots is going to sit around and say "nope we're enlightened and neutral, so we're above this conflict" while fel-corrupted orcs/elves and walking corpses threaten to destroy what little remains of draenei society?

Tyr was a Watcher who used primarilly arcane magic. He was not a paladin or associated with paladins in life.

>Well that's just like your opinion man.

It's experience. Tauren stuck out like a sore thumb in the Paladin order hall, oogabooga trolls would be even worse. There's nothing knightly about them.

>crusading space zealots
But Turalyon is not a zealot and never was.

>Tyr was a Watcher who used primarilly arcane magic. He was not a paladin or associated with paladins in life.
"Tyr called upon all the lessons he had learned in battle. He wielded the Silver Hand as if it were an extension of his own body. The C'Thraxxi slashed at his metal hide, but Tyr's hammer shielded him in holy power and mended his wounds. The battle dragged on, with neither the keeper nor his enemies giving any ground."

>It's experience. Tauren stuck out like a sore thumb in the Paladin order hall, oogabooga trolls would be even worse. There's nothing knightly about them.
Let me guess, you're one of the ones who thinks nobody but humans should be able to be paladins, maybe Draenei if you're feeling generous?

Then he takes out his enemies with an arcane explosion and dies. He's not a paladin.

>Let me guess, you're one of the ones who thinks nobody but humans should be able to be paladins, maybe Draenei if you're feeling generous?

No, but they should defiantly have that knightly ideal. Troll paladin is on the same level as Tauren warlock or Draenei demon hunter. Sure they could physically do it, but it doesn't mesh.

What are the chances Kel'Thuzad is going to show up in BfA? His voice is secy and he has the best quips...I- I'm asking for a friend.