Elves: do you prefer the slightly shorter than humans (D&D) or slightly taller (Tolkien, Warhammer)?

Elves: do you prefer the slightly shorter than humans (D&D) or slightly taller (Tolkien, Warhammer)?

Taller (Warcraft)

taller, weirder. Warhammer's a good metric for how I like my elves.

Without pondering on it a great deal I prefer 'tall elves' but i'm sure one could argue either way.
Personally i'm more used to this type of elf.

Tall. Both work, small better for "playable" elves and elves that have a greater emphasis on being the + dex, - con race. While taller work better for übermensch elves that you shouldn't balance out to humans.

I've honestly never been able to decide.

how drew this motherfugger? Is it Paul Dainton?
It captures elves perfectly.

Same guy as pic related?

Tall and slender.
But not like ridiculously tall. More of a tall human would be the same height as the average elf.

Tall. But I prefer elves to be the better-than-you not playable race.

>slender

I seem to be in the minority, I prefer them shorter and much weirder. Dark Elves can turn out to be straight up Gollum looking.

Short as fuck, basically merged with halflings.
If your setting has more than five races that are "human but X" it's automatically trash.

this guy knows

>elves
>dwarves
>halflings
What are some other "humans but x" races?

Orcs. Dragonborn / Lizardmen. Fishmen. Any of the 7946798 variations of Elf, such as Eladrin or Elan. Giants. Warforged. And so on.

Taller. Manlets can't be the superior race.

I generally like them about the same height as humans, though with less variation between the sexes and individuals

>Elves: do you prefer the slightly shorter than humans (D&D) or slightly taller (Tolkien, Warhammer)?

I like it when Elves become shorter and mundane the farther they genetically drift from "High Elf" or whatever supernatural/paranormal precursor race you decide to give um'.

So the original stock High Elf would be closer to 7ft tall or maybe even 8ft tall, but extremely elongated and unnatural looking.. While your garden variety Wood Elf would be around 5ft3 or 5ft6 just a bit shorter than a Human, but nothing too extravagant like you see in Dwarves.

shorter, but taller makes more sense

I would say Warforged, Lizardmen, and Fishmen are distinct enough to not be "humans but x"

and they suck

human but X is fine
however, possibly paradoxically, "(x) but different!" is not

Taller but thinner, like a human version of a stick insect.

If you are an autistic with no creativity, sure, but you can have them have more defining features... If you are actually going to put in the effort and aren't retarded.

No.

I like Tolkien elves, but I also like TES Mer and they run the gamut.

Taller High Elves, shorter Wood Elves.

In my mind the elves are taller than average than humans, but the tallest of elves aren't taller than the tallest of humans. I think that's how it is in LotR anyway, though the early numenoreans were freakishly tall.

>freakishly tall
freakishly big

like gregor

I quite like this. Have a (You).

>and they suck

Lizardmen are awesome shut the fuck up.

>human but X is fine
It’s dumb as shit. If your elves are just
>humans but more arrogant
then they should just be a human culture. Non-humans just for the sake of it is a sign of a bad setting.

Thicc elves are cancer.
"Cute" elves are cancer.
Weeb elves are cancer.

as enemies, yes

There's NOTHING wrong with cute or weeb elves as long as they don't all look like bimbos
Thyq elves are the worst though

Average sized and grey

human but X where X is like 12 different specific things

pointy-eared humans is stupid, sure, but then anybody who does that is unworthy of mention

elves aren't arrogant, they're aloof
you might be insecure about them though

Nah, playable. Also not dumb brutes either. They have their own lizard society with lizard language and lizard writing and lizard songs. They have lizard magic, with lizard runes. I prefer them as the advanced progenitor race.

>you might be insecure about them though
Naw, I’m not a manlet neck beard so I don’t have to shitpost about how much better dwarves are.

With millennial haircuts and dye plus unnaturally long ears does qualify?

... not to forget the bald chaps either

No.
Elves should be beautiful. Otherwordly, overwhelmingly, imposingly beautiful, on the verge of uncanny valley. Not "cute".

Other way around, you dumbo.

That depends on what kind of elf you're going for
D&D elves should look like slightly more attractive humans, cute is fine
Warhammer Elves should be as you described
Tolkien elves should be like supermodels

Neither, I fucking hate elves. Worst thing in fantasy.

What about Santa Claus elves?

Little cute midgets

T. Dwarf

This guy gets it, have a (You)
Elves are “attractive” sure, but in such a way that you would find yourself in utter awe of them if you ever met them in real life. I am a huge Tolkien fan, so the epitome of this is how Tolkien depicts the reaction of Gimli to Galadriel. Her beauty leaves him in awe to such a point that the idea of sexual attraction doesn’t even occur to him.

I don't know, what do you think works best for making elves not!Chinese? Does making them shorter hit too close to realism rather than fantasy, or does making them tall take them too far into the realm of fantasy and come off as trying too hard to make the Chinese look cool?

Is this what you had in mind?

>blond
>chinese

On one hand I wanted this movie to succeed, just for the eventual Warcraft 3 and WoW movies, but God damnit it's so bastardized that I can only pray someone else sees it and goes "I'm gonna fix this" and removes all the stupid shit that was tacked on. First War is one of the most boring pieces of shit in all of fantasy, and they somehow made it worse.

Short
Also:
>They also love music, magic items and altered states of mind.
>They are immortal but can only remember about a century of experiences at a time.
>They generally slow and patient (represented by the exp modifier in OD&D) they yearn for the exhilaration of sudden inspiration or the passions of love and hate. This things are rarer for them.
>Mostly they live in hidden cities far in the wilderness. They rarely deal with outsiders but occasionally elves will set out to discover trade or steal art, magic or experiences.
>Some elves have travelled the world many years and have lived many different lives they can no longer remember. If they get lost, they will at least have a faint memory of home.

You must be fun at parties Sperg

shit taste desu

Elves are taller than most humans, but there are humans that are as tall as the tallest elves. Basically they are more homogenous and have less sexual dimophism, but they don't approach the human maximums for physical size.

I also prefer them to be lean as fuck and coldly beautiful.

The more human blood they have in their family tree, the further they can diverge from this.

Tall, beautiful, inteligent

Forgot pic

Giving them a 'corrupted' appeal is nice too

Regal elves are nice

Outright sexy elves can be nice too

elves in movies always have awful hairdos

In my setting elf is just a synonyme for wight, as in barrow wight, so they're pretty much ''normal'' height or average size.

Fat is not healthy.
Fuck off with your fat acceptance memes and get on the treadmill, flabbo.

>Dragonborn / Lizardmen
Whoa there, Hoss. Don't be equating those two. Lizardmen are cool.

Brown Manga Elves.

Taller. Pixies GTFO

The only valid answer.

Cancer, you don't like elves at all.

Inhumanly tall, lanky, and plantlike

Secretly ratmen