/5eg/ D&D Fifth Edition General, Abyssal Edition

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previously on /5eg/,
So, DMs, here's a question: do you make your players use adventure logs a la Adventurer's League, or keep track of things some other way?

Other urls found in this thread:

thegiddylimit.github.io/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

>(embed) (embed)
good work

also rip trove

I keep track of everything my players do or suffer and at the start of every game I compare notes with them and whoever is keeping track gets a cookie. A literal cookie. Positive reinforcement and all that.

Any ideas for a WWI-ish setting?
We kind of got into war movies recently, so now my group wants a war setting, and I can't blame'em because I found it interesting too. I'm drifting towards the Great War because it's when mechanized shit collapsed with good'old horseback, swords and spears style and I think it would be the best approach to use in DnD.
From what I came up with until now, the idea is that the industrial revolution hit and the humans quickly embrace it, together with the dwarves. The humans united their kingdoms into a federation and quickly grew in power, starting to expand their territory. Their first victim was the Orcs that were lagging behind in the tech race. As the war progressed the Orcs lost some land and had ally themselves with other races and kingdoms to stop the human offensive. The Elves hadn't much interest in the machines and stick it to their own thing until they realized how much of a threat humans became, so they got together and made an unholy alliance with the Orcs.
I would let the party pick their side and basically do quests of infiltrating enemy lines, assassinations, deliveries, opening paths, joining the frontlines, etc.
For weapons I'm thinking of keeping the ordinary stuff plus adding some guns, from muzzleloaders, revolvers, revolving rifles, machine guns and go up to repetition rifles. For spells I don't know if there is something already for it, but I guess it would make sense to have some new stuff to match the setting, maybe a Gun-jamming spell? Idk.

When I first dm'd I assigned one of players to be a an official notetaker

I should really do that. I have three high schoolers in my game, so I'm worried they may lose track of things if they have a gap in their schedules or whatever.

>DM had to cancel this week
>Really want to play DND

Are there any good discords or something where I could just play a few one-shots?

>My ranger aquires Trident of Fish Command and Ring of Swimming
>I'm one magic item away from becoming Aquaman

Would anything break if I turn short rest abilities into long rest one and multiply their number of uses by 3?

Exemple: Action Surge can be used 3 times/day instead of 1/short rest

It does help to involve the players. Make it a cool title and shit, like Domancer, Master Treasurer, or some things like that and they will enjoy it a lot.

RIP Trove T_T

I wasn't smart enough to backup all the books.

Is the 5etools.com site working for anyone? lithdoran still works for me so I'm not really worried but it's odd because the .com works for my friend but not me.

Also I heard that the .com site was being worked on by the former guys on astranauta, any truth to that?

I like to make my players do the recap of the last session. How they remember, I care not.

What's important to me, and to them, is that I give inspiration to the person who does a good job of it. If they compete for it, sometimes I find lesser rewards for the two who were closest and give them that, instead.

One time, a player drew Charlie's Angels style artwork of the team, because they'd just blown up a gnome's workshop and it apparently affected him deeply enough to doodle it. I gave him inspiration and a token that he could spend on someone to grant inspiration.

Dude became everyone's best friend for that session.

I feel like that would be a little bit too much. Try making it 2 first and then move it to three later on.

Here, I did a thing.

Each member of the team will be assigned a position at their own discretion. The ranks are as follows:
A. Cartographer: Needed to implement the mapping duties, needed to work with local military to arrange defenses.
B. Reconnoiterer: Needed to collect intelligence from local and field sources, responsible for scouting for the group.
C. Handler: Needed to maintain upkeep of group caches and Company contact, collects new mission scrolls.
D. Liaison: In charge of working with local officers and handles general diplomatic duties. Serves as de facto group spokesman.
E. Occultant: Responsible for maintaining the group’s wealth and magic stockpiles. Keeps group bank account.
Respond with information needed to Company office and positions filled ASAP.

Cap of Water Breathing?
Just do short rests. They make sense anyway, considering that it's entirely reasonable that people who just got their asses walloped would take a breather for an hour.

Captcha: Road Road

I need water-themed puzzles or traps. Any resources for this?

This would be equal to taking just one short rest, which is too little imo

We usually have only 2 or 3 fights a day

My other idea was recovering short rest abilities when you roll initiative

Make it more awesome sounding.

Mix and match fantasy names in, like Cartomancer, Lord Handler, Grand Liaison, etc. Just meaningless mix and matches of words can great improve the perceive importance of a normally menial task.

Aside from that, you are looking golden!

The way I keep track of things is that, as soon as I am physically able after the session, I write down all the important stuff that happened during it.
At the start of each session, I read out what happened to them and include a teaser/foreshadowing of what is to come, and in general, try to set the mood for the session depending on what is involved.
According to the players themselves, it's helped them out a lot to get back into the game and into character every time.

There's a bit about traps that have elemental aspects in Xanathar, but not many other official books. Is this something for lvl 1 babby parties, or something for more seasoned adventurers?

Level 5's.

If they have decent wisdom and the sentinel user isn't incredibly charismatic / intelligent, they'll know tha the sentinel user is good at holding their line.
Otherwise, they might proc it once before realizing what's going on.

Don't forget to use ranged enemies to teach the players how to use cover and self-proning.

How about this: a tripwire in shallows that causes a ramp to open up under them into a dry room. The water rushes in over their heads as they fall, pinning them for one guaranteed round under the crashing waves, and then they have to make Acrobatics or Athletics to get back out once the current dies away?

As for actual resources, I don't really know. It doesn't come up much.

If you only have 3 encounters a day at most including 'other' encounters such as traps that might drain resources then you could always extend long and short rest peroids. For example, long rests take a week and short rests a day.

If you don't trust players with that, I suppose your suggestion of allowing short rest abilities multiple times works. I'd say 'allow that once a day you can take a short rest instantly when you are out of combat' would be a fair ruling.

Why doesn't every player take notes?

I know you aren't remembering what happened last week, Charles. Bring a fucking pen next time.

I'unno.

Room fills with water long enough to trigger exactly one Constitution saving throw, then a wall opens up and tries to suck the players into a pit with an ochre jelly if they don't beat an Athletics check or some shit?

Decanter of Endless Water cannon, with a Magic Mouth that speaks the geyser command when a dude steps on a certain tile?

Stale water with corpses in it, make a save or catch the creeping crud disease of the week?

>For example, long rests take a week and short rests a day.
these rules are shit and you're a bad dm

t. caster supremacist

This captcha, my sides!

Thanks. That's better than what I had, at the very least.

>barbarian must go an entire week before he can get angry again

you can help the martial/caster gap without deep-dicking casters you know

also yes it's not even only casters you're hurting with that kind of rule change.

> 'other' encounters such as traps
This doesn't solve the gap between long and short rest classes

>water-themed puzzles

You have a three-gallon jug and a five-gallon jug.

Put exactly four gallons in the five-gallon jug or the dungeon explodes.

How about

Now hear me out on this

Give martials magical items.

Reposting from the other thread because I didn't realise this was already up.

What's the best class/multiclass to create a dragoon? (jumping about with a polearm)

Is 12 maneuvers/day at 3rd level too much?

>Steel Wind Strike is a Wizard spell
>literally *teleports behind u* in spell form
>one level slot above EK and AT's maximum

WOTC can make some really retarded decisions, sometimes.

If you fiddle with feats and proficiencies, maybe a monk, but for polearms, can't go wrong with a Fighter for damage or Paladin for general utility. We had a longarm user in my group go Pally, and he was pretty useful to the rest of us.

Maybe the argument that is sparked by one's appearance regarding whether or not liking one makes you gay will take weeks to finally come to a conclusion. Or at the very least take the week required of a long rest.

stop with the trip

BUT HOW CAN I PUT IN FOUR GALLONS IF THE FIVE-GALLON JUG ALREADY HAS FIVE GALLONS IN IT AND TAKING AWAY THE CONTENTS JUST TO PUT THEM BACK IN WOULD CAUSE THE DUNGEON TO EXPLODE?!?!?!?!

Storm Sorcerer 1/Paladin X.

yeah but at least at level 17 a ranger can omnislash and do as much damage as a fireball or two :^)

And this is why you play a Vengance Paladin instead.

GUESS YOU'RE GONNA HAVE TO FIND OUT, AREN'TCHA, ADVENTURER

I'd like to take a moment to say how much I like how concentration works in 5e.
Playing a magus in pathfinder was a clusterfuck of different spells going around.
I was walking around with 8 different buffs on (just from myself) at once and that shit was just silly.

I like stacking buffs in high level play because it reminds me of the classic days of AD&D, but I couldn't agree more. It is very rewarding the way 5e does it.

Monk kensai

restrict them to 1 per encounter, shit will get out of hand very fast if you let a fighter action surge 3 times back to back or a warlock drop 6 fireballs at level 5

>Cast True Polymorph to become a Horned Devil
>Kobold throws a rock at you for one damage
>Roll a Revert
Awesome system!

I agree

>Shapechangers have to maintain concentration to maintain an illusion?! SO UNFAIR!

Why would a shapechanger powerful enough to cast True Polymorph get so thrown off by a fucking pubble?

Well obviously you should have polymorphed into something Kobolds don't randomly throw rocks at.

>getting hit by a kobold's rock
This is why you don't neglect your AC
It's also why you don't fuck with well-organized kobolds

>Why would a shapechanger powerful enough to cast True Polymorph get so thrown off by a fucking pubble?

Because they're apparently weak enough to take a point of damage from a pebble.

If you failed your save that is on your head. Get Warcaster, a good Con save (sorc, resillient) or another way to buff it (bladesong).

If you can't up with the game, then drop off, boyo.

>not having War Caster
It's your own fault, really.

>You recover [insert short rest feature here] when you roll initiative
You think it's better this way?

this but unironically

absolutely better that way

ha get fucked loser

But that system makes sense and works well.

Better 5etools link OP:
thegiddylimit.github.io/

Has XGE "Variant Rules" and "Names" added

5etools devs still working there, Remuz (trove+5etools.com host) server died.

Oh my god, get absolutely dunked on for your shitty opinion. Damn son.

I was under the impression that they were only forced to do a concentration check when they were hit with psychic damage. Or is it that psychic damage causes auto-fail?

Your childish shit-talk needs work bucko.

Get dunked on is not meant as a "fuck you". You need to use it upon actually besting a person.

concentration has nothing to do with psychic damage

I am saving every single link and copy of 5etools from now on.

What IS 5etools, though? I've never used it. Is it a program, or a browser script bundle?

It is true that I often don't shit talk. Still, thanks for the advice.

Btw, gremlin d.va is best meme.

How is this even possible? Have you even played 5e?

It's just a webpage

Functions a little like DnD Beyond, as far as I know, except it's free.

What's your favorite setting /5eg/?

I'm too unimaginative to run a homebrew, and official settings seem lackluster most of the time for one reason or another.

Eberron.

I've been playing since March, but it was all intro-level stuff. I only started running a homebrew game a few weeks ago.

Also, get your attitude adjusted. We all have to start somewhere. I didn't crawl out of Chris Perkins' Mindwomb, I got into the hobby through YouTube and was starting from scratch.

I grew up on AD&D Forgotten Realms and it was glorious during the telltale time of troubles and even during the lifespan of 3.5 it was not bad. 4th edition killed it and 5e did all it could, but it still smells like a dead carcass.

Just run Forgotten Realms AKA generic fantasy if you're too lazy to bother.

You have given me nothing to fill them with.

Mystara
y
s
t
a
r
a

Sorry I came around that put-off-ish, it wasn't my intention, I was honestly stunned. My apologies.

As an apology, why don't you tell me about your adventure and I will give my two minds as someone who has been on the horse for a decade and a half now.

Official? Ghostwalk or Forgotten Realms.

Unofficial? Various Veeky Forums settings.

The steam-punk lite and ever-presence of magic really puts me off. Magic ought to be rare imho.

I like FR, and it should be de "model" for most settings but there are some things that are just plain weird. Factions & politics in paticular bother me a lot.

Harpers, Zhentarim, ect are just plain cringy and there seem to be city-states everywhere, with little to no relation with each other. And other than Thayan shenanigans, no political conflict.

stop with the trip

Ghostwalk? From 3.5? Do you use it for 5e, and where did you get it?

You know like, most DnD players probably haven't heard of 5etools. Nobody I've ever talked to outside Veeky Forums has known about it

Grewhawk and Planescape
I like the opposite ends of the spectrum

>He can't piss four gallons!
>laughingwhoreelves.tapestry

>Ghostwalk

>magic should be rare
>FR should be the model for most settings

Dark Sun is best if you want everyone to have exposed nipples.

Planescape. All other motherfuckers must get in line.

Trust me, get a time-capsule if you can and check out the AD&D stuff on it. It was much more concise and structured. Secret societies like the harpers, zhents and shadow thieves where actually secret. You had to dig them out. Things like states had meaning, power did flow from place to place in commerce, magic and knowledge and drudgery.

Hell, even the godly schemes that popped out were full of intrigue. The ancient realms that dot the world were actually a mystery and everything ran like some weird sort of medieval fantasy Adventure Time or Mad Max lookalike.

It was by far my favorite reading material for a while there.

Eberron!

>It was by far my favorite reading material for a while there.
It lost its way when it turned into a DBZ godkilling setting.

That... didn't occur to me. Fuck.

Ok, gotta back up Planescape there (Torment needs a EE treatment too!), and I am anxiously awaiting for WoTC to get off their asses and revive it, but I am also terribly afraid of what they will do.

That and Spelljammer, please.

I've only been in my current one for three weeks, but the DM is running it like the party is on a temporary contract to secure a village while defensive walls are built, but crazy-ass Feywild shit is happening nearby. We've seen pixies openly addressing travelers on roads, we've seen a local Monk getting visions, and maybe some kind of hyena sacrifice. (Maybe Yeenoghu, we're not sure)

As I said, from the end of 3.5 and throughout 4th ed I wished they hadn't picked it. Eberron was a much better candidate for their setting too, why fuck up with my Medieval Fantasy, Wizards. WHY?!

>Various Veeky Forums settings
Interesting. Go on?

I love planescape. My only complain is that most factions really don't have any reason to actually engage with things outside sigil.

And besides, I feel like planar adventures should be a part of the campaing, but not the focus.

"Rare" in the sense that it's not a commodity and it's known and mundanized.
I don't have a problem with a minor spellcaster or 2 in each town, per se. Also Eberron's cosmology is a bit retarded.

Where should I start with that? Sounds nice.