/5eg/ - Fifth Edition General

>Unearthed Arcana: Elf Subraces (No new UA this month)
media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/UA-ElfSubraces.pdf

>Trove
rpg.rem.uz/Dungeons & Dragons/D&D 5th Edition/

>5etools
lithdoran.github.io/fiveetools/5etools.html
5etools.com

>5etools latest update-
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
Use the Readme to get it working if you're computer illiterate, or ask for help ITT.

>Resources
pastebin.com/X1TFNxck (embed)

Previously, on /5eg/
For those of you in a game, is your character in a relationship?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/3jca2QUo3GU?list=PLoAlHTvrtnL93hjLplr5toPDabKoK4y-e
mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

>making multiple threads out of spite
Fucking retard.

What's the best class/multiclass to create a dragoon? (jumping about with a polearm)

>is your character in a relationship?
Though none of my current characters are in a relationship, in our game today the son of my old characters appeared. This was ~40 years in the future and I had never mentioned a son but I guess that drow my warlock rescued once was rather fond of him.

Fighter Dragoon soon™

>Though none of my current characters are in a relationship, in our game today the son of my old characters appeared. This was ~40 years in the future and I had never mentioned a son but I guess that drow my warlock rescued once was rather fond of him.
That is such fucking cringe. The only thing I loathe more is when the GM bring in other people's player characters and then roleplay them.

>For those of you in a game, is your character in a relationship?
No, i wouldn't know how to play such thing.

Continuing music posting from last thread as GM planning on using Domina's OST

youtu.be/3jca2QUo3GU?list=PLoAlHTvrtnL93hjLplr5toPDabKoK4y-e

any way to do an SMT campaign?

There's a That Guy in my group who keeps attention whoring and doesn't allow anyone else to talk in game, he literally tells everyone else to stop ''talking out of character'' if they say anything at all. The only thing we get to do is kill stuff while he gets to roleplay. The DM doesn't care and actually thinks he's right. Should i leave this game?

>Not having fun and GM refuses to compromise

Fuck yes

Does anyone have any good/well made homebrew archetypes? Like pdf related

Does anyone have the green text about the bard performance that was so good it charmed the attention of the gods themselves?

Hey, /5eg/, I have a BBEG who wants to exterminate all life and turn everything into sentient undead, but I don't know what alignment he would be. He considers what he's doing to be for the greater good but resents hurting people and although he feels guilty about the painful transition from life to undeath, he thinks its for the best. It's a homebrew setting and basically:

>6 main deities, 5 of which are Good-Neutral
>One is evil and represents oblivion/the destruction of everything
>Said god used to consume any souls that aren't bound to a deity after death, becoming stronger with each soul.
>To stop him becoming too strong and devouring the universe, the other gods made it so that the soul of any mortal who doesn't follow a deity would be eventually destroyed so he wouldn't be able to feed off them, ala FR's Wall of the Faithless
>BBEG is a lich who thinks that the gods' decision was morally reprehensible and now wants to put the world into a state of perpetual 'now' by turning everyone into undead, with nothing being born or truly dying, thus not having their soul crushed into nothingness.

What alignment do you guys think he would be?

inb4
>using alignment

True Neutral i guess, its kind of a complicated goal that the alignment system cant accurately cover

I'd say alignment is less about what an individual perceives to be good or evil and more what the universe perceives to be good or evil.

That said I'd say Lawful Evil.

If you are running 1 Hexblade/7 Sword Bard with defensive duelist feat, is the Shield spell even worth taking at that point?

AC against an enemy in melee is 18 (19 if you don't give a shit about stealth, duelist style for a shield) + d8 from the sword flourish, and +4 for a single weapon attack hit from defensive duelist.

Sure shield works against ranged, plus it lasts a round. But I don't see why it would be that great in this kind of build.

What do you guys think? Some friends and I have been debating it all day.

What's some good loot for a druid? The rest of the party is easy to create loot for, but i have nothing for the druid

He's a big firbolg who used to be a farmer and he [plans to] multiclass into barbarian

if he's going to multiclass into barbarian he's probably got messy stats

strength-raising items like gauntlets of ogre power or belt of giant's strength are perfect for situations like that

Yeah, I was planning to give him some extra STR item because I don't think he even qualifies for the multiclassing

Is oath of vengeance good for a 3 fighter/3 paladin?

I dislike posting the same thing a few times but I'm too interested in this.
I need some outside opinions on trying to compromise on getting a specific animal companion. For flavor, I wanted to use a Giant Goat, but to fit the medium or smaller guideline, I was gonna take down its stats by size rules.
Its HP dropped to d8s from d10s and fit the HP requirement
The 2d4 damage it does was dropped to 1d4 based on the knowledge that making a medium weapon large for monsters doubles its damage dice, so do the reverse of that. So now it can do a max of 2d4+3 damage if it gets its charge attack in, so it fits the damage guideline.

My DM rejected it and says because of the +3 to str that its just a better boar (which is true mostly) and can't be used. When compared to a wolf, it seems to be about on par. Wolf has 2 less HP, but has 2 more AC. plus it gets 2d4+2 on a basic attack where my goat would need to charge 20ft to get the 2d4+3 damage. Plus the wolf has pack tactics.
What would your call be? I'm settling with the wolf because fuck the boar but I'm wondering if I'm underestimating the goat or the DM is overestimating these modifications.

Can I have some feedback on these spells? I'm okay with them being a little OP (the characters got scrolls of them as special treasure, and I'm considering whether or not they will be allowed to learn these spells as they level up since they have the scrolls) but I want to make sure they aren't insanely broken. Inkfire is the one I am most worried about. I am also curious what you think of the potential combo between Death Aegis and Necrotic Surge. I kinda like the idea of spell combos. I just want to make sure these are too powerful for 5e, and if they are, how I should change them to make them more balanced without destroying the spells core concept.

Just use the wolf/boar and reskin it so that its a big goat
The name on the top of the stat block doesn't always need to correspond to what it actually is

He said to reskin the boar as a goat, but like I said, its shitty compared to the downsized giant goat and even the wolf. I wasn't gonna reskin the wolf because that just didn't make sense. Right now I'm interested in whether that medium sized giant goat is on par with the wolf or over powered.

I played a one-shot recently at level 3 as a fighter on a whim, and I forgot how dull the overall lack of choices felt to me. As a result, I decided a full caster gish may be my best option (my party needs someone who can survive in melee).

Any thoughts on these build concepts (at levels 3-5)? They all seem to have about the same amount of damage and survivability as each other, so it'll probably come down to utility or "fun factor."

Valor Bard
- Being a skill monkey is nice, but it may not have enough going for it in melee given the Bard's spell list.
Forge Cleric
- Seems like it has great spells for combat, but might be overall lacking in out-of-combat utility.
Hexblade Warlock
- I typically prefer "per encounter" spell management over "per day" like 5e's other casters, but I worry about the small number of spells memorized (especially with how Hex seems mechanically mandatory as a spell choice). Invocations could be fun.
Bladesinger Wizard
- It looks fun, but I haven't heard about any experiences with this subclass other than some complaints about it not doing as much damage as real martials (which would be the case with my other concepts anyway).

How do you run a dream campaign? no elf allow unless dream is cast on them.

Reposting since I'm not sure which thread is the official 5eg

>Revisiting a level 10 lore bard
>Building him into the ultimate "Have others fight my battles for me" character
>Working together with a monk refluffed into a dancer
>Travelling showmen and businessmen, taking his time to expand his trading company and create beneficial relationships through each town he visits

>10str, 14dex, 10con, 12wis, 12int, 20cha

Skills revolve around 3 things
>Strong single buffs for the dancer(Bonded ward/haste/etc.)
>Stolen paladin auras like Aura of Life(via magical secrets) reflavored into bomb ass music that heals and inspires
>Any spell involving summoning creatures(he claims to have had some concerts for different fey, devils and demons) and charming people and monsters

His personal posse consists of
>A giant tree that was Awakened and befriended(no concentration)
>A Crow familiar he uses to cast certain spells from a safe distance(no concentration)
>A peryron summoned from Find Greater Steed decked out in custom platemail for free damage(no concentration)
>Mordenkainen's Faithful hound for some free damage during a fight(no concentration)
>Spiritual weapon if he needs more dps per fight(no concentration)
>An elemental or demon if he isn't concentrating on anything else

Although with prep time, Summoning a greater demon + Planar binding the night prior to a dungeon would be pretty sweet. It would get rid of most of the risk of it turning on the party and I wouldn't need to maintain concentration on it anymore.

Yea I'm trying to be sort of a dick with all the extras(Bards are considered "trash tier clerics" at my table for some reason so I'm trying to show them something different) but how's the character sound thematically?

Should I only allow Vicious Mockery against enemies that can understand the bard? I don't care for the damage, but giving disadvantage to an enemy's attack at will with a CANTRIP sounds crazy strong. And since the bard has Charisma 20 since level 1, it might as well be guaranteed. Specially since the enemies that can't understand insults are the ones with the least charisma.

Bards dont have high damage. Viscious mockery is their main form of damage while other spell casters get things like eldritch blast and firebolt.

>>I don't care for the damage
>but its a source of damage lul

i'm only talking about the disadvantage, not the damage - i even buffed his vicious mockery damage due to circumstances in the campaign because i know he loves that cantrip, but i also don't like my mooks getting disadvantage'd with a cantrip at will

also, he's multiclassing into warlock right now

It's a saving throw cantrip, so it's already weaker than ranged spell attack cantrips.

Also, you know that the saving throw is Wisdom, not Charisma, right?

is right. No need to gimp them when it's their only cantrip that allows ranged damage. If you nerf it, then the Bard will feel shit knowing they made sure they were at least really good at Charisma stuff only for the DM to say nope.jpg.

Vivious Mockery is magic. If it didn't work on creatures that can't understand it it'd say so on the spell.

In fact it LITERALLY says "If the target can hear you (thought it need not understand you),"

>Take Magic Initiate- WLK
>Boom Blade
>Eldritch Blast
Congrats, your Bard has a good "at will" option, though it isn't as strong as Agonizing Blast.

If the player is fine with it and is even compensated for it via damage then there shouldn't be an issue.

I know I get butthurt when DM's homebrew spells because they fear it breaks encounters. All that tells me is the DM is unable to create encounters that are actually a challenge for the group.

Should've been clearer. I believe that the disadvantage is there to balance the weaker damage. Sure, if you look at a thing and don't consider it's designed shortcomings and only focus on it's strengths then of course it seems strong.

its one creature getting disadvantage on one attack. Hardly OP

Eh, I'll just leave it as-is then. Thanks for the input, lads.

Why didn't he just ask?
Would that be so hard?
>"Hey, you know that old character of yours? It might be a good idea to bring him back for a thing."
I mean, of someone drops a game their character has to be RPed out of the atory, but come on.
t. DM

No. Vicious Mockery works against everything. Think of it like the term 'fuck you.' Even if you can't comprehend the actual vocabulary, you probably understand the intent.

fuck you

>I played a class before it gets more choices and it was boring because of lack of choices

>[Poster] takes (1d4) psychic damage.

You don't, especially if you have to ask advice on how to run "it was all a dream".

>Play my first D&D 2 days ago
>play this Fighter who thinks higly of himself and tries be the hero
>after a few hours of finding eachother and killing a golbin chief we are walking in the woods
>we hear a wierd noice 30 yards away
>I tell my party to not worry and i'll look into it
>It's a huge bear following a bloody track
>Now my partymembers are coming up behind me and seeing the bear
>Some say we should sneak away and some say we surprise attack it
>I tell them i'll hande it and just wait there
>Go to the bear and give it a bunch of meat
>Have + 3 animal handling
>try to take my rope use it as a halter on the bear and jump on it's back to ride it
> do animal handling roll
> 18
>DM tells me to do a persuasion roll as well
>have -1 charisma
>Get nat 20
Proceed to ride my bear rest of the adventure with all of my party walking 30 yards behind at all times and not being able to enter any towns or talk no npc's.

when exactly do fighters get more choices?

>gold ceased to exist in this setting, silver replacing its value
>give the players a single gold piece after a dungeon

Usually based on which subclass you choose like Battle Master where you can manipulate your opponent(s) during combat with Superiority dice.

>DM finally realized that he's scope creeped like nuts on our adventure
>warlock's wish gave him an excuse
>entire adventure retconned, most levels and few boons carry over
>like my accidental botched wish that made me able to turn into universal solvent
>retread of dungeon one with a silly amount of deja vu
>but this time with cursed items, including a particular belt
>now basically an incredibly caustic slime lady
How have your campaigns been going? Anything silly you'd like to share? Any convoluted developments?

What's the most optimal way to build a DEX Vengeance Pally who uses a whip?

Oh, you wanna go, leatherhead?

Anyone have experience using the ol' rapier and net combo? How well does it work?

just use the good ol' handcrossbow and net combo. It works better.

What kind of monsters can I fill a body-horror dungeon with?
Its an underground city ruins that haven't been explored yet and its filled with "relics" (cantrip spell scrolls in the form of statuettes) but I'm having trouble trying to make scary monsters for this place.
So far I've got a type of blood-red Ivy that hangs from the ceiling and drops onto PC's grappling, restraining, poisoning etc. They will first encounter this by seeing a silhouette kneeled over in the gloom, approaching they see that the killer ivy has given it the appearance of being skinned alive.

Actually, just found out that nets always have disadvantage on attacks unless you get crossbow expert. Nevermind then, that really sucks.

Oozes, cloakers, flesh golems, moulds, crawling hand (and other appendages),

Crossbow expert is the absolute best way to do it!!!
>Use action to restrain someone, giving you advantage
>Shoot them with your bonus action dealing 1d6+dex+sneak attack (because you have advantage)
>they have to use their action to remove the net or stay restrained
>next turn either throw the net again or shoot them twice

This is a very good rogue combo and one of the only true combos a rogue can perform.

And Vargouilles

items for his beast shapes. Items that channel weather powers into auras. Items that channel forest or surrounding environment into melee effects.

nice, I didn't even know half of these existed.

Gebnerally if you find a bestiary, try looking through the undead and abberations, that where the animate body parts and "things that do not belong" reside.

Somebody needs to write the Oath of Self Reliance so I can play as an Ayn Rand Paladin.

Does that picture need some updates with Xanathar's guide official release or missed options?

Just found the 'Nothics' and I've had an idea based on what user said a while ago.
Have a dark room with 2 nothics inside and have the nothics act like one beast, then as one dies the other retreats or something.

probably, are you volunteering?

Too bad rogues aren't proficient with nets.

Yes I made it after all, I'm just not sure what's missing though. Got any suggestions?

...f-fuck...
You could go as some kind of weapon-proficient race like Dwarf or a more appropriate hobgoblin

Half-Elf or Yuan-ti for Lore Bard?

Half-Elf. Leave Yuan-ti in the trash.

Anyone else realize the faceplate on that helmet has floating pieces of metal all inside that symbol in the middle

Maybe the symbol in the center is just stamped and painted?
or maybe the artist is an idiot

or magic

See for yourself.

snip li/fIj

So in a field of anti-magic a chunk of his helmet falls out to reveal his sheepish looking face.

its chaos, chances are his face is a mass of writhing centipedes

Fine, a chunk of his helmet falls out to reveal a sheepish looking colony of centipedes. Happy now?

>snip li/fIj
I'm confused? What does this third-party material have to do with the gish picture?

>Play a Goliath Barbarian
>19 Strength, because fuck you, I'mma hulk
>Natural carrying capacity of 285 is doubled, counting as a Large creature, for a total of 570
>Hit level four, take the Brawny feat to count as another size category larger for the purposes of carrying capacity, adding a point of Strength and doubling it again, for a total of 1200
>Hit level six, take Bear totem, because nobody takes fucking Berserker, lol
>Carrying capacity is doubled, again, for a total of 2400
>Push, Drag, and Lift capacity is twice carrying capacity, making your max squat 4800 pounds of weight
>At level six

What's wrong with Yuan-ti?

Are you sure you Yuant me to go into this?
But seriously, they have permanent magic resistance. This is a powergaming trait because it lets you double the damage you can take from spells. Its more of an NPC race rather than a PC race

My players want anime, Veeky Forums.

I want to give them anime. Specifically, crap 90s fantasy anime. Stuff like Knights of Ramune, Sorcerer Hunters etc.

Thus I have made two "treasure hunters" who, to put it mildly, are the classic shit 90s anime dominatrix joke character archetype (pic related)

One wields an warhammer called "Darling's Rod of Correction" and one a whip called "Darling's Whip of Education".

I want these to be magic weapons the PCs can acquire, so I have the following idea:

If the wielder hits with at least two attacks in the same round, the target must take a save (wielder's choice), DC8 + Proficiency + Attack Stat mod

Rod:
CON: Stunned
INT:
WIS:

Whip:
STR: Restrained
DEX: Prone
CHA: Charmed

A successful save at the start of the target's next turn ends the effect.

What effects should I use for INT and WIS saves? The others seemed fairly straightforward, but I am finding it harder to complete the set.

Have you considered paladin?

etools latest update-
>mega.nz/#!pQURTRDD!D0_R4jIXvN_wTZ1z-clszujTR3vVYaHYHXO1XnAzNrI

Not sure if I'm doing something wrong, but that link seems borked

You could pick up a sedan and hold it over your head. That's terrifying.

On reaching level twenty, I have the limit on my stats raised to 24.

At this point, I can carry 2880 lbs, and lift 5760.

And if someone dared to hit me with Enhance Ability, specifically the Bull's Strength part of it, I can waltz around with 5760 and lift 11,520 over my head. At that point, I could literally pick up and walk off with a Rhinoceros, which usually weigh around 4600 lbs.

Yeah. I lift.

Not sure how youd do it with official stuff, but there are decent homebrews for it

Rogues really miss certain proficiencies..
>Want to make a Rogue Indians Jones
>Not even proficient with a whip
>Not even a net
Come on WotC.

There also gear that allow you to quadruple the carrying capacity.

Hobgoblin rogue, take 2 (martial/simple) weapon profs upon char creation

Combined with the Enhance Ability: Bull's Strength effect, I could walk off with an elephant.

And if I was really, really careful about it, I might be able to slowly make off with a cruise ship's anchor, which is apparently in the vicinity of 25,000 lbs.

Goddamn.

it that point you can just tug the cruise ship along. The thing will have 0 friction in the water so it would just take a while

>The thing will have 0 friction in the water
Yes, remember all those boats we lost to kids who pushed the boats across the Atlantic ocean?

Strength, because fuck you, I'mma hulk
>starting 19
Rolling for stats? The whole thing sounds neat as hell, I'm just wondering about the starting 19 and where Brawny is. I've never seen Brawny before.

It's a feat in the phb, most people forget about it because it's not the greatest.

It's not PHB, it's UA.

Oh shit, that's right I was thinking of something else, please ignore my retardation.

I mean, yeah, you could do point buy to start with a 17 in Strength and just let the Goliath's +2 to Strength take care of the rest. Your other stats might suffer, but Barbarians only really care about Strength and Constitution anyway.

Also, Brawny is located in UA38, the Feats For Skills book. It's got the added perk of giving you Expertise in Athletics if you already have proficiency in it, which you'll always have with a Goliath.

Just started noticing that there's more and more junk in these books that double your carry capacity and it started snowballing from there.

For instance, did you know that the Enlarge half of Enlarge/Reduce does the same thing?

I thought point buy caps you at 15. But yeah, I was aware of the Enlarge bit. An Enlarged Goliath would be hilarious.

Eventually we're gonna get a Potemkin/Iron Tager build in here.

As a 4th level paladin half-orc with 17 Str, should I take Heavy Armor Master or Orcish Fury? As cool as the latter looks, it seems a bit underwhelming and not all that useful.

Should I just increase my stats? I've got an odd 13 Wisdom too.

This is correct point buy caps you at 15 before racial bonus.