Describe your idea of a good, satisfying session user. How long? How many encounters? What kind of snacks? Etc

Describe your idea of a good, satisfying session user. How long? How many encounters? What kind of snacks? Etc.

15 minutes of warm up, 15 minutes of feedback, 3 hours of gameplay divided into 3 parts with 5 minute breaks. Every part is a sequence of about 5 scenes unified by one theme.

One where the GM doesn't waste the players' time, and vice versa.

Everything else is secondary.

4-6 hours with a long period of downtime in the middle where the characters are in a city/base/ship/whatever, bracketed by action. The downtime is partially just an excuse for us to eat something I was cooking while running back and forth between the stove and table during the first action part.

(Yes, I'd probably drive half of you cunts crazy, but it turns out someone cooking food is still less distracting than phones at the game table for my group.)

Starting early. How long it runs is less important than the feeling that we don't need to rush, and whenever I'm lucky enough to get a game started at 2-3pm I feel satisfied even if we only end up playing until 10pm.

How many encounters is also not as important as at least having one really good encounter. Some of my favorite sessions were centered around one particularly meaningful event.

A break for a real meal is nice. As for snacks, pretzels are a staple. I'm also a fan of muffins and scones and good teas to go along with them.

>good teas

If you don't mean chamomile you're a nigger

You trying to sleep during a session?

>Not acknowledging yellow tea/黄茶 as the true tea of the gods

>How long?
6 Hours
>How many encounters?
Don't care as long as there is a really good one somewhere in there.
>What kind of snacks?
Not a factor.

6-12 hours, chips and dips (cheese/salsa/guac/doesnt matter) eventually pizza burgers or whatever, 33 of roleplay and character development 33 of combat 33 of travel/dungeon crawl and 1 of memes/running jokes.

>Not Matcha
>Not Genmaicha
>Not Sencha
>Not Rooibos
>Not Peppermint
>Not Ginger
>Not Turmeric
>Not Yerba Mate

4 players, 6 hours, 2-3 hours of setup/prep/chatting/the role-playing/non-combat part, break for dinner, then 3-4 hours of one long-running encounter with scene-changes, motive-changes, and possibly shifting alliances where they just barely survive.

Booze or caffeinated drinks aplenty. Rotating fancy dinner duty.

Everyone leaves and the wife gives blowjobs for extra XP.

>peppermint
>ginger

Absolutely plebeian

That sounds pretty fantastic desu user

>even if we only play for 7-8 hours I'm good

Holy shit user how little have you got going on in your life?

Start session around 7pm and go as long as all the players and DM are still engaged, probably until 2am. I've always wanted to try setting up a D&D retreat thing with my friends; go somewhere out of the way like a cottage for a weekend and plow through a decent sized campaign. No phones or internet allowed. Just unplug and play some good old tabletop rpgs with the gang.

Order pizza at some point + have chips, candy, beer, soda and other junk food available and plentiful. No one is allowed to get too shitfaced though.

DM utilizes a grid, minis and ambient music/lighting. DM makes sure the campaign is challenging but engaging. Death should always be present for those who make bad decisions/bad rolls.

Group size is around 6 people with a good mix of classes and personalities.

As for encounters, I'm pretty much in agreement with everyone here. A solid mix of everything.

Sorry if I got a little idealistic. I'm stuck in a 12 person campaign that runs for 2 hours at my LGS. Wish I was at home.

dumb frogposter

5-7 hours, lots of combat and places to explore, no snacks, only water to drink.

A good session has everybody being engaged, and leaving the table, virtual or digital with smiles on their faces.

A great session is when people talk about your sessions afterwards, and talk about it with other people, and are inspired enough to create their own content.

Now, a wonderful session would be one that does all of the above and doesn't leave the DM drained to fuck and back. I've yet to have one of those yet.

4 Hours broken into two hours chunks with a break in the middle, Two Combat encounters and 3 non-combat encounters and the perfect snack is infinite Jerky and Tea.

>"muh herbal additions!"
Fuck off. Y'all can't even enjoy a proper Assam or Darjeeling.

>thinks chamomile is de facto good tea
>judges anyone
I'm fucking dying, son. You literally gave me cancer. Tell my wife you were a faggot.

>chamomile
>"""""""tea"""""""
Perhaps, you meant: herbal infusion.

Has a buddy basically do this. Started Saturday morning and He made us eggs Benedict. Another time he made us chicken tiki masala for dinner. Those were good times

Two to four hours, session consists 50% players eating and RPing, and 50% combat; unless there is a lot of loose ends to tie up.

AKA, after level 5

>Not lovingly blending a different tea each session to fit the tone

I..is Earl Gray good enough?

Bergamot is better than chamomile, at least.

I was wondering how did it get to this point, but then I realized this was /tea jee/ after all

I find it to be better as a bitter, breakfast tea than a relaxing afternoon infusion. Unless you have something overly sweet, like brownies, to go with it.

Lapsang Souchong master race coming through. No tea is better for maximum cozy winter feeling.

I prefer bitter teas in general. I'll occasionally drink a fruit-based tea if I want something sweeter, but otherwise, I'll stick to bitter.

Everyone avoids meta gaming. Everyone roleplays and does their best to keep in character. DM is good enough to where players rarely need to break role to ask a question. Strong opportunities for roleplay between party members between encounters.

This is the good shit that I will never find in this world. This perfect group does not, and can not, exist.

I've had acceptable amounts of metagaming and questions being asked, along with some jokes.

It's actually a lot of fun the way things are.

A game where everybody is in character, building there own plans, might even fight each other, but most important where everybody is an active player, so that nowbody is just present. Every player should at least have one "great" moment. Something that you remember one time...

For snacks I whould say chips and cookies. Coke, tea, coffee and just water are my favorite drinks, when it comes to pnp.

The only requirement for a good session is one where the group has fun. As a player I have the most fun when the roleplay is good and when I see the GM enjoys himself. As a GM I have the most fun when the group is engaged in the game and actively talk in-character with each other and the NPCs.

>How long?
I'm the kinda guy who'd love to sit down for 6-8 hours of roleplay, but that length is by no means a requirement for enjoying a session.

> How many encounters?
Depends on the system. Playing DnD I'm happy with as few as possible. If we manage to make it 0-2 in a long session I'll be ecstatic.

>What kind of snacks?
I tend to be on the lazy side and just bring crisps and beer, maybe a bottle of Islay if we're in for a haul. I'm happy with pretty much anything the rest of the group brings.

>How long?
6 hours long, up to 8 is okay-ish.

>Encounters
Dungeon crawling (with existing metaplot and social combat encounters). The overall number would vary depending on a single encounter's length. Something inbetween 4 and 10 is my guess.

>Snacks
Several decent dishes, at least one of them prepared according to the original medieval recipe insofar as possible.

>Etc.
Participants either all knowledgeable about the system or all chill about them being out of depth.

Females present only if they don't (try to) accentuate their worth based on being a female, this is cringey. Guess I'd make another judgement in a different situation, but at present this is my position.

Music, if no one's against. Love OSTs \ ambient.

A specialized gaming table with built-in touch display for stuff like Roll20. Or a decent megamat + minis.

>Music, if no one's against. Love OSTs \ ambient.
Why would anyone be against the DM playing music?

A good session would be 5-6 hours in the weekend, around a table with some good peeps and with physical copies of the rulebook, as well as a tablet holding splatbook pdfs.

There would be pizza and drinks, maybe even a beer for everyone. A nice dinner would also be nice

The players would be friends/acquaintances that make for a comfy atmosphere around the table and they would know the rules down pat. The GM would also be incredibly knowledgeable about the game.

And there would be a chosen playlist of thematic music for ambiance.

4 hours maximum so we're all operating efficiently. Breaks once per hour.
Things moving forward fast enough that we feel like we've accomplished something in that time.

One of my friends says it messes with his concentration, for example.

Tea belongs in the harbor.

As someone that's never been into Tea before, where should I start?

Boston

Our group's average sessions are between 5-7 and our long sessions are between 8-12 hours.

We don't usually have a proper break in our normal sessions, aside from a bathroom break, but our long sessions usually have a break for a meal.

Encounters are never set and standard. Some sessions have a bunch, others have few to none. It's not really a metric we consider.

Our games always have music involved, whether it's a character's theme or ambient music.

It's exactly as I'd like it to be pretty much. I'd prefer we had more long sessions than we do.

A board and thread where that shit is relevant.

> And they think we hate them because of their freedom

>Not carqueja
It's like you're a casul or something

user, don't send him to Veeky Forums. No one deserves that.

I don't even know. One where the players had interesting effect on the in game world I guess. Or a game with actually fun combat? I don't think I've ever ran or been in a session that was satisfying.

My group normally plays for 8 hours including an hour break in between. I'm usually fine with 2-3 encounters per session. Snacks wise? We don't bring snacks to the table. We eat during the hour break period.

I just like bagged tea with milk and two sugars

As a GM, on the one hand I'd really enjoy killing all the players. But I'm also a huge bleeding heart and don't like characters dying. So I'm fucked.

My first session
>Sleepover at a friend's place the day after a huge party his family throws every summer
>Didn't know any of the other players just 2 days before but everyone's cool as fuck
>Tons of leftover from the party
>We spent the day cleaning and started a story to include new players
>Game starts at 6pm or so
>Long hand-crafter and carved wooden chairs in the garden around a round table
>Beer, weed and burgers during all the session
>Tiki torches blazing through the night
>Slay freaky creatures, investigate on shady auctions and burglar a nobleman's mansion
>Stop at 4am when it gets too cold outside
>Continue next day under a wonderful sun, more burgers and more hyped newbie players
>Help a powerful NPC wizard slaying more freaky shit, raid a dungeon and recover 1 out of the 4 artifacts we're after

I'm looking forward to every end of summer since we've been doing this. Best way to have normies having fun is to play table games in a normie setting

You sir are extremely right

>Not Sweet Tea
The Yankee has revealed himself.
Back to the hell beyond the Mason-Dixon with you!

There are two kinds of tea. Hot tea and iced tea. Hot tea is better.

All you need is a good group.
To sad my seem to have broke up at this point.

Hey, asshole! You forgot Jasmine!

Not one with Nowi in it.
I don't care about the session length, as long as it's fun for the team. My experience in GMing is mostly in FE-based games, so I try to make them fast, and with a bit of humor. (Except when there isn't.)

Come on man chamomile tea is weak for sessions. Gotta get that caffeine fix or at least a stout cup in cold weather to perk you up.

>Matcha, Genmaicha, Sencha
Shitty weeb tea. Do you really enjoy your tea in a powdered form, you turboplebeian? Also,
>green tea in general
Only good for drinking it cold.
>Rooibos, Peppermint, Ginger
Not actually tea. They're fine, though, especially ginger.
>Turmeric
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Turmeric
Are you for fucking real?
>Yerba Mate
Tastes and smells like you're chewing a week-old crusty sock. I mean, I have nothing against acquired taste in general, but you'll have to pass me with that gay shit, nigga.

Conclusion: Drink some actual (i.e. black) fucking tea, you turboplebeian.

45 minutes of warmup socializing, five hours of hard metagaming and yelling about wacky dice/card results in equal measure.

Preferably two Showdowns, which also implies we didn't get hung up on gear crafting choices for two hours during the Settlement Phase.

A bag of chips, a bowl of some sort of chopped fruit or vegetable, and a small bag or two of diabetes-inducing candy.