/L5RG/ Legend of the Five Rings General

L5R / Legend of the Five Rings General

Enter Stage Right Edition

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE RPG (OLD AND NEW)

Rulebooks:
ME GA[New Zeland]/#F!EuB3yRRI!FjYeEU2FdqzIZ6cM1dKoHA

The FF Beta:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/dc/2f/dc2f92bb-bfd2-4f12-99eb-1d084491de65/l5r00_beta_rulebook.pdf

Latest Beta Update:
images-cdn.fantasyflightgames.com/filer_public/99/6e/996e894d-b3d4-44e8-810e-d1824b82fd18/l5r00_beta_updates_v20.pdf

>USEFUL RESOURCES & LINKS FOR THE FF LCG

Tabletop Simulator Mod - steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=1099785017

Ringteki (Browser based game client) - jigoku.online/

Card Database / Deck Builder - fiveringsdb.com/

TTS Deck Converter - infamous-irc.com/dengeki/l5r-deck-generator/

>Veeky Forums L5R Discord
discord.gg/CJfVQ7B

>Clan Allegiances
www.strawpoll.me/14339259

This Paste: pastebin.com/0JF6Acgv

Other urls found in this thread:

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/11/meditations-on-the-ephemeral/
fiveringsdb.com/decks/18a6af7d-cc30-11e7-9e9b-8e1ccf16fca4/view
fiveringsdb.com/decks/0b1d3088-d558-11e7-86fc-8e1ccf16fca4/view
discord.gg/DWWXZnG
cardgamedb.com/index.php/legendofthe5rings/legend_of_the_five_rings/_/imperial-cycle/meditations-on-the-ephemeral/
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

How many holdings are you running in Crab now that Iron Mine exists? What did you cut to make room?

Two currently. Decided to replace the Funeral Pyres.

Out of curiosity, what holdings ARE you running? I'm currently trying out a sac-heavy berserker build and having repeated uses of Spyglass tends to meet my card draw needs more than the pyre.

>Still waiting for a shadowlands stronghold

So which clan is going to turn on the taint first this go around?

I'm betting crab again.

Ded game

Are you stupid or trolling?

He's just memeing. Dead thread/Dead game type thing. Everyone that is a regular in L5R generals know they are a slower general.

Do you think they'll make a different minor clan the next Great Clan instead of Mantis this time around as the story progresses?

I wish they'd just not do it at all, since faction glut is going to be bad for the health of the game, but realistically I think the Mantis and/or MCA are in as a faction sooner or later purely because they won't want to let the assets go to waste.

Sadly the same can probably be said for the Spider.

I like this image. I like it a lot.

Multiple factions other than what the core started with isn't remotely unprecedented in FFG LCGs. It's also very characteristic of L5R. Mantis are definitely coming, expect more.

>isn't remotely unprecedented in FFG LCGs
>It's also very characteristic of L5R.
Oh I know. I just think it's a mistake. I fully expect Mantis and some flavor of Shadowlands/Lost/Spider at the very least.

MY ass smells like tomatoes

So does the monthly release schedule start next month with the second cycle?
And has there been any word on when the first deluxe box is coming?

Any leaks from the first deluxe? Hoping a box for all clans or a mantis clan box, not a Phoenix deluxe please. Also will be something new before April?

Pleb here with only 2 cores and all chapter packs.

If I mash all of one faction's cards from these together, plus some neutral events, do I have a full size casual deck?

My local area has no organised play so I just play casually.

also am I a dangerous deviant for thinking Agasha Sumiko is an underrated waifu

>If I mash all of one faction's cards from these together, plus some neutral events, do I have a full size casual deck?

Casual? Sure. You have more than enough to make a playable 40/40 deck for any clan. When you can get a third core you should though, you've got a lot of staple cards that you only have 2 of.

Mine too!! :D

What were allow the minor clans that the Mantis clan annexed?

The problem with Sumiko is that Dragon can't consistently/easily grab the favour.
Against Phoenix/Scorpion/Lion/Crane, she will most of the time be blank.
When you have the favour though, oh boy.

Technically, it's an arbitrarily high number of unnamed clans, but the named ones that actually have fluff and mechanics are the Wasp, Fox, and Centipede.

>Scorpion
Other than that character that outright takes it is there any reason to consider Scorpion good at taking the favor?

What you guys think about getting fate off the ring when claiming it instead of getting it on declaration? What would be the effects on balance?

Main effect would be to slow down the game. When you have the first player token you could no longer spend most of your fate on board presence counting on picking up fate off your first conflict, and it would be harder to go for attacks that might not work since now the opponent gets fate for successful defense. Would also up the power of certain cards (Know the World, Stone of Sorrows)

Thanks. I'm trying to design something utilizing the mons of the clan and their family's clans and I figured for the Mantis clan, since they didn't really have those, that the minor clans they absorbed would be the next best thing... I do wish there was at least a fourth extra mon for them though.

It would definitely make the game worse I feel. Losing the option to declare an attack just for the fate/ring denial really hurts, additionally there would be more incentive to defend successfully because of the fate gain.

I guess I'm late to the party, but WTF is wrong FFG? Custom dice, seriously? Just skip straight to the worst dice category there is: it's as if you want your game to suck ass and die.

The massive amount and variety of conflict characters mostly.
Getting the favour through Glory is childsplay for a Scorpion who knows what he has to play.

fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/12/11/meditations-on-the-ephemeral/

We know what mono no aware does now. Hold on to those counterspells when you have characters with fate on the board. Definitely allows Phoenix players to limit a bad round between it, DoP, and waning hostilities.

Anyway awaiting the next announcement in the next few weeks after the last pack comes out.

>The massive amount and variety of conflict characters mostly.

Only two of those has any glory, one of which is a 5 drop.

I kind of want to run a Crab deck based around keeping Taka on the field forever with Vanguard/Iron Mine/Reprieve, generating a ton of extra fate using sac engines, and then spending it on Mono no Aware to keep the board clear of everything else.

With the way honor works I'd be surprised to see a shadowlands stronghold.

Maybe tainted clan samurai, Oni and blood magic cards that let you burn honor for high powered characters?

Anyone have the unicorn courtiers list?

Get sliced, page 10.

Classic Unicourtiers fiveringsdb.com/decks/18a6af7d-cc30-11e7-9e9b-8e1ccf16fca4/view

Madrid Kotei version with more MIL fiveringsdb.com/decks/0b1d3088-d558-11e7-86fc-8e1ccf16fca4/view

As a mantis player I hope they don't force us on the Fox clan again and we get another minor clan that are kinda odd in the normal social order of things and let the Moshi be the respectable or honorable face of the clan when that sort of thing is required. I always liked the Hare clan myself.

this guy was the best

Is it just me or are the Crane guys the biggest assholes ind all of Rokugan?

Also in old L5R what was the stick of mantis?

>Is it just me
Yes.

>what was the stick of mantis?
Flipping the bird to divine mandate in favour of maximum effort, fortune favours the mortal man, etc. And pirates.

JOIN NOW DISCORD traditional discord.gg/DWWXZnG

I hope they let the Moshi go back to their fire roots, rather than this weirdass area they ended up in where despite being the guys who run the biggest fire library in the entire setting the book of air claimed they preferred air to fire.

The way I've always liked the Moshi explained is that the Moshi are just as proud and with as much temper as any other Mantis clan but it's behind the mien of Amaterasu. They are polite and respectable and...oh, they've set the sky on fire.

The Mantis had a odd mix of meritocratic ideals, capitalistic urges and a conrtan disrespect for any traditions at all to the point that some of the Moshi had enough of it towards the end of oldL5R.
Those characteristics should sound familiar.
Oh, and also pirates.

New to L5R, how should those sound familiar?

They are an insert for America, which worked exceptionally well, when considering the fact that a big majority of the Mantis fanbase is indeed from there.
It's also very much a product of its time period.

Honestly in the old CCG they should have had air, fire, and thunder on every Moshi. And also not had garbage personal honor.

The way the crane cancellor told basically "fuck you. you won't get anything" to the crab diplomat was really an dickish move.

Crane in the new storeis seems to be the clan which has the least loyalty to the realm. Crane only cares for crane.

Dude the vast majority of every clan's fanbase was from America.

FFG Fail! Pack 6 is now up on cardgamedb!

cardgamedb.com/index.php/legendofthe5rings/legend_of_the_five_rings/_/imperial-cycle/meditations-on-the-ephemeral/

From the Crab perspective.

From the Crane perspective, the Crab have a trumped up threat they're trying to exploit for extra resources and support whenever they can.

And the Crab are a crude militaristic clan who don't try to dismiss the stereotype - any aid they give just frees the Crab up to to the very Rokugani thing of skirmishing over farmlands with neighbouring clans.

Which ties into the Crab/Crane Yasuki conflict - the Crab might have sent their best negotiator, but it's still like sending someone's ex to talk on your behalf.

Never going to go down well.

Yoshi is a piece of shit but the decision tell Taka to fuck himself was made by a superior and he had to deliver the news without making the emperor look week.

No, you are confusing them with the Otomo. The Scorpions are also bigger cunts than the Crane

>Scorpions are also bigger cunts than the Crane
They are cutns but they are our cunts. I only know the new lore and for me Scorpion seems actually really to care about the realm

Do the Dragon do anything besides being to intelligent to get off their mountain?

Yes. They answer people who ask question like that with riddles and zen koans.

Random question
According to Mountaintop Sanctuary ruling, it "...exists in the stronghold province along with the stronghold...there can be multiple cards in the province..."
1) Can I Rebuild the Sanctuary into something?
2) if I can, what stops me from rebuilding the stronghold itself (as it is also a card in a province)?

Occasionally they come down in force to correct a problem that no one else is even aware of, then crawl back up the mountain, leaving everyone confused about how they knew it was coming or why they chose to fix it directly instead of ignoring it or just sending a warning.

Ironically, most of the Dragon reputation comes from the smallest fraction of the clan.

Mirumoto & Kitsuki have to maintain ties outside the clan, otherwise their gold mines are useless and people starve.

Nah, even the Mirumoto participate in the seemingly random excursions. Actually, they make up the majority of it most of the time. Entire generations go by with no one outside of the mountains seeing a tattooed monk. For a lot of Rokugani, they're practically a myth.

>Nah, even the Mirumoto participate [...]
At direction from (the) Togashi.

Otherwise they're "the largest and easily the most practical family of the Dragon", the face of the clan day-to-day under the direction of the pseudo-clan-champion-for-mundane-matters Mirumoto daimyo.

So, yah. Most of the time the Mirumoto are not doing future course correction, and their interactions with other clans do not involve suddenly coming from the heights of the mountains before returning while everyone is confused.

This seems pretty interesting. Anyone played it?

It's ya boy, pastefag.

Anything needed to be added?

I've been taking a break from L5R, got burnt out from it.

FFG is all about the fucking custom dice and shitty systems.

Uh, not to the pastebin, but a backlink in the OP to the previous thread might be useful. It's not really important until the next cycle starts to leak, though.

>stick of mantis

Definitely the tonfa.

has rokugan's political map changed much between editions? (in the context of finding the best map to go with FFG L5R)

Among the great clans, Scorpions are probably the second pettiest shits there are.

The maps are almost all in universe, and cartography in Rokugan is a very subjective art. Just use the Atlas of Rokugan, it's the most detailed.

Well later on in the AEG fiction the empire colonized the area south of the Shadowlands that used to be the Ivory Kingdoms and then lost the entire original territory to the Spider clan tainting it. The Scorpion clan was exiled for awhile after the coup but I think their borders were mostly the same when they were reinstated. The Mantis changing into a great clan and absorbing the Fox, Wasp, and Centipede is kind of big. Other than those maybe Toshi Ranbo becoming capital?

The borders tend to end up back in roughly their original positions after wars.

Don't forget the Unicorn. The Lion became fucking huge after the Ki-Rin left by taking their nearly vacant land, and then lost all that extra land when the Unicorn returned.

True, I was only thinking of changes after the game started but that's a big one too.

They'd use the honor less negation mechanics they've always used.