Weekend Warcraft General: Dark Iron Flames edition

Not Compensating For Anything Edition

Discuss the lore of the Warcraft franchise and its application in and around traditional games.

>Document compendium Official (ex-canon) DnD 3.x variants and a fan made DnD 5e version!
drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B52pEESRLwfBM3V0Sm5NTlBITlk

>Previous thread

Other urls found in this thread:

wow.gamepedia.com/Battok_the_Berserker
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Alexstrasza was forcibly bred by the Orcs in order to produce dragons for the Horde. Deathwing also tried to fuck his mate Sintharia after he had replaced the better part of his body with lava and superheated metal plates, causing her "a great deal of pain and leaving behind scars and burn marks" (which still are visible on her in-game model).

Uh, true I guess, but why post that?

Dragons are into some fucked-up shit sometimes.

>Reading about the Watchers.
>Sif was apparently cheating on Thorim with Loken
For what purpose?

The Watchers are like the Norse gods they're based on: pretty fucked up when you think about it.
>ywn see Loken turn into a horse and fuck a paladin's charger to stop him from entering Ulduar

I noticed something about the 5E one. No STORMBOLT, I GUESS that Heroic throw sorta-kinda counts?

Except the Norse gods other than Loki and Odin were pretty much bros

Pretty much none of the goddesses slept around either, nor did most of the gods. I think Odin was the only main one who did.

Is Xal'atath the Stormbringer of Warcraft?

That or Uthalesh.

It's honestly surprisingly civil, for a pantheon. Like, Skadi isn't getting along with her husband Njord, so she divorces him. There's no big fight, no sneaking around, nothing. I don't even think it was a vitriolic breakup.

Norse were one of the few pre-modern cultures that were just fine with divorce, interestingly enough.

With how popular Goblins are, I'm surprised nobody's tried to draw a Gilgoblin female.

Gilbin aren't a very prominent subspecies, since they're almost strictly kept to aquatic regions.

You'd think someone would have a go, though.

So is arcane aligned with the Light? We know the Titans, being beings of order are aligned in the cosmology with arcane energy, and that the life blood of Azeroth bleeding into the world created the Well of Eternity aka a big giant font of arcane magic. The titans are violently against the Void Lords too, which are fundamentally opposed by Light.

It used to be in lore though that arcane energy was a gateway drug into Fel, which is what the Burning Legion is and is all about. Ironically, the Burning Legion is all about killing the universe to destroy the void, and is opposed cosmologically now I think by arcane? WTF?

Arcane is its own thing, separate from the Light and the fel. Taken from a previous thread:
>Arcane magic is still dangerous if misused, and it can still be considered a "gateway" to fel power if someone were so inclined, but it's not a guarantee that the arcane arts are corruptive in and of themselves.

The original demons' only goal was to party and destroy shit and corrupt things for fun, they weren't really a united front nor was there some kind of will behind Fel itself in those days, it just made you into a dick, and then you did dickish things of your own dickish will. It's by the will of Sourass that the demons are all in the Burning Legion and trying to unmake reality.

What's your favorite relatively lore-mysterious race/creature type that you wish got expanded?

Personally I'd like some expansion on the Grell and the WC3 implications/outright statements of Sapience on the part of Windriders/Wyvern(They said sentience but this is before people started getting anal about Sentience and Sapience being different) Also non-Wyvern Windriders with a full six limbs would be nice. They just look so bad running on the ground with their wings folded.

>When enraged, and in heat, a female troll can mate over 80 times in one night. Be you prepared?

More Grell/hornless imps.

They used to make log homes on Teldrasil, I wonder if they'd be willing to actually talk to people.

An Imp questgiver implies the Grell are pre-legion Imps.

"There is a legend that some of our ancestors can be found on this world that are not part of the Legion. I bet they are boring."

Maybe they caught a few during the War of the Ancients?

Huh, that's actually really cool.

Bard class idea. Base class, uses mana as a resource with hype/momentum/whatever being a gauge that fills as you cast spells.

>Heroics spec: melee fighting that debuff enemies buffs allies. Plenty of movement, the dashing swordsman type.
>Virtuoso: Ranged Healer and utility that provides aura buffs and focuses on air affects. Little things like increased mana recovery rates or outright mana refills, as well as other utility affects.
>Enchanter: mind control affects, makes the enemy mobs fight each other, and can give temporary enchantments to allies equipment making them do holy/fire/ECT damage. Can summon pets to fight for them temporarily.

I still remember being taken in by the bard april fool's joke blizz did one year. I was seriously looking forward to the stupid keyboard-as-guitar hero- controller gimmick they were pitching, too. Ah, the folly of youth.

I remember falling for the wisp player race. The one life idea genuinely excited me as a kid, even as I found it really confusing

It is the scourge internet defense force.

Blizz have always gone all-in on coming up with pretty good april fool's gags across the board. There have been some real gems over the years.

Why are Dire Trolls so badass?

Because they're swole as fuck, moreso than most races can ever hope to be.

So lore-wise, Death Knights are the strongest of the available player class, right?

Followed by mages and warlocks?

Also I note they're not statted in the 5e hack yet, guess I gotta learn 5e balance to work that out.

I wish that some of them kept the old hunched over look from Pre-MoP where they made them stand much more upright.

The new skeleton.

Also I seem to recall SOME NPC actively shifting from normal troll to Dire I think some of the Ice Trolls in the Post-Cata Dun Morough, plus something in New-Zul'Gurub?

Ah I remember this one right, but I could have sworn he wasn't alone. wow.gamepedia.com/Battok_the_Berserker

Eh, that's debatable. We could spend most of a thread debating class power levels. I mean, there's a difference between a standard and a top-of-the-line . I get that death knights are sold as very powerful - they're WoW's first hero class, after all. Then again, shaman are sold pretty well as being no joke to fuck around with.

There is no 'strongest class' really. Though demon hunters and death knight both have relatively high power floors since you already have to be a badass to be one.

I think the character with the highest individual kill count is warrior, thanks to Broxigar. Mages and Warlocks tend to be involved in a lot of the real world moving though.

Every class is a power fantasy unto itself except hunter, so you're right that it's really hard to argue a "strongest class" because they all have the potential to be juggernauts unto themselves in their own way or specialty. It's true that death knights and demon hunters have a head start on the others, but when the other classes close the power gap, you will fucking notice.

So are dire trolls the primitive state of modern trolls, or some weirdly persistent mutation?

The fact that Dire Trolls have stone body parts really does lend some credence to the idea that Trolls might have been Titan experiments, either as-is or they're a Curse of Flesh version. That or Elementals that became fleshy.

The latter, I'm pretty sure.

Persistent mutation that can be magically/alechemically released from normal trolls.
Only the Zandalari trolls like Jin'rokh have those, and they may be more keratinous, plus Jin'rokh was running high on elemental infusions, mostly water and lightning but maybe some stone internally.

I'm 80% sure that dire trolls are intentionally created through troll magic and alchemy, but I can't remember my source for that info.

I think it was related to the Sunken Temple somehow.

They can be, but sometimes they're born naturally that way.

Arcane and nature are aligned with the Light. Army of the Light has mages. And without light there could not be life in nature.

You guys, I figured it out. The Void Lords are the Player characters. They can already whisper across time and space.

>easily pisses on a titan on his home turf
>kills everything for little to no reward
>time and space bend to their will
>cannot be stopped
It fits.

>Not Compensating For Anything Edition
Damn it user, copypaste is a scalpel, not a sledgehammer!

The Old Gods should be more respectful of their parents then.

What are the chances that after the end of WoW, blizz will retcon all of it and will start anew after WC3?

Sometimes you have to slap your son and take his shinnies.

Children are brats.

Not all of it, but some things will definitely go. Like very busy timeline (war after war after war), most of the BC content (to present a very good image of Illidan) and so forth.

I just realized that the Druid spec in that 5e conversion is based on the atrocious sun-moon balance bullshit that replaced green wrath, anyone have an idea to change it back? The issue is there isn't a pure nature damage in the conversion either.

Illidan looks really stupid.

You can't just swap around spell names? What's the problem exactly?

Why? Fans adore him for whatever reason. And it's all that matters for blizz.

Fair enough, it's late, I should look it over later with a clear head instead of overreacting.

>Why?
His horns and eyewrap mainly. Also that perpetual scowl like he's trying not to shit his pants.

Can someone tell me what was his purpose in Legion?

To be Demon Jesus.

What said. He is the savior of the planet, and he does this entirely on his own terms. He is always in the right and is justified in everything he does. Illidan was never wrong, even during TBC. He ends the expansion as Sargeras's personal jailer, much like Bolvar was to the Scourge.

"My father once told me the world was gonna roll me, I ain't the sharpest tool in the shed" -Jaina Proudmoore

This "he was the choosen one since the start" is an asspull right? There is no way this was in the concept of Illidan's character in W3, Classic, TBC or any other place except Legion.

It is almost entirely a product of Illidan fanboyism during and post-BC.

Probably not, but they probably wanted to make up for the shitshow that was TBC and his seemingly needless raidbossing.

>that was TBC and his seemingly needless raidbossing
Well I liked how TBC dealt with Illidan. He was growing insane because of the demon shit and we needed to put an end to his insanity. Very logical. Fel should corrupt anything it touches, it is a prize for becoming an uber-demon. But now you can become a demon jesus and everything will be fine.

>Illidan

>can play demon hunters
>can't play wardens

why did that broken draenei steal her plotline in tbc?

she had a hard life

>in the end Illidan effectively becomes a warden, the ultimate warden even.

It almost rhymes, it's like poetry.

>he didn't even leave her a message
I wish she'd gotten a little more attention, for Legion and TBC.

Pottery

I think they might have gone too far in a few places.

>It almost rhymes, it's like poetry.
Yes, user, that's true. But the only thing poetic here is that I was vomiting in stanzas. I don't even know what that means

PUNISHED MAIEV
A warden betrayed by her leaders

God, I'd love to have been able to get that armour. It was so cool to finally see a night elf with heavy armour.

Heck, they both use glaives they could have made Wardens/Spellbreakers part of the same overall class for more 'Fuck you, lockdown'.

They even were on rather good terms afterwards.

Any active players know the state of the roleplay servers? I used to play on ED but it seems to have gone to shit while I was gone.

I prefer communities that respect the lore.

And Sargeras is shrunk down juuuust enough by the other titans for Illidan to jam a glaive in each eye.

I'm kinda blind on blood elves. Are withered still a thing?

The Alliance community on Moonguard (not taking Goldshire into account) is pretty big and Horde on Wyrmrest Accord as well. As far as lore friendliness it wavers incredibly. I swear every two in three mages I see is roleplaying an Archmage, and everyone is an inter-racial lesbian.

>and everyone is an inter-racial lesbian
Yeah... a lot of people who try and do romance cant into the idea of different races not finding one another attractive. I had a Blood Elf spend something like half an hour getting shot down by my troll (Though he at least had the minimum of reasoning for it). It was pretty weird.

Took the advice and switched out the pic, 10/10.

Lighten up, man. Illidan is the product of a Blizzard storytelling technique that relies on interpreting their characters in discontinuous step-function "stages" instead of character development.

I want Jaina and Maiev to team up in an erotic adventure that involves getting their "leaders" to beg for forgiveness in utter humiliation.

The amount of Blood Elf/Troll relationships is just fucking boggling. You're a pretty fucking open-minded and deviant Blood Elf if you want to get down and dirty with a troll.

The guy had an almost passable excuse, in that his characters parents were always setting him up with incredibly fragile women, so now that he was independent he had started over correcting.

It was still incredibly weird when he started trying to massage her feet, but it didn't crash and burn like I expected.

That's more justification than most that I see. I feel like most RPers just don't even consider that maybe a Tauren wouldn't instantly find an Orc attractive. I'm not particularly bothered by it anymore but some kind of justification is nice, like maybe the gnome lady finds a human's limb proportions fascinating, any excuse is better than no excuse.

I want to give Jaina a hug. She looks like she desperately needs one.

Surprise.

People RP as them too.

I really don't see the appeal.

Gotta stack as many fetishes into a character as possible is why.

Maybe she can go get a hug from her fath--
nevermind

>I swear every two in three mages I see is roleplaying an Archmage
Gotta establish credibility as a powerful character, in the hopes that other people respect your character in turn. Is that even a problem, to be called an Archmage?

Daelin didn't seem like the hugging type anyway.

Ever since the Sunwell was restored and the main crux of their issues was resolved, the withered stopped really being a thing. You're forgiven if you're confused, since you wouldn't be able to tell that's a thing in-game because Quel'thalas is still frozen in time during the endgame of TBC.

It's not a problem at first, but when it's a title that most people in a group has it starts to lose meaning and reeks of a lack of creativity. There are other - and better - ways of making your character stand out or have value.

He would probably give modern jaina a hug for coming around to his way of thinking.

>fans now adore him so much that almost every discussion about Legion's ending eventually devolves into "TYRANDE IS SUCH A CUNT, ILLIDAN WAS ONLY TRYING TO BE A NICE GUY!"

beta orbiters need to die DESU