Is

Ever made a character you liked at first but hated later on?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=vmXByDB5cN4
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Yes. When it happens they tend to get a bad case of jumping into terrible danger and dying.

>Get invited to a game of DnD 5E
>Want to play a blaster caster who just deals out raw damage
>Play Draconic Sorcerer (Red)
>Looking forward to spamming Fireballs and Twinned Firebolts
>Another player plays a Warlock, and the DM is allowing UA content.
>Warlock player ends up doing way more damage than me in every fight and generally being more durable too
>Cry inside because I feel completely redundant
>DM is a cool guy and lets me retcon into a bard instead

Yeah, 5e warlocks are the caster equivalent of fighters. Utility spells? Not enough slots. Rituals? Not wasting feats on that. Raw damage & the best damage cantrip in the game? Sold!

...which I regretted on my warlock, because he ended up just being an EB turret and I made him too much of a cranky old man to party face. Retired the warlock, swapped to a blade wizard, had more options but by then it didn't matter because the paladin was swimming in magic items and fighting undead.

One of the very first characters I ever made in Dnd was an evil rogue. Really liked the idea at first, but I came to regret it.
Rest of the group had zero trust in me, just based on this, nothing what I did, so decided that I could never be let out of their sight lines, I had to always go first, and I had to initiate fights. This was annoying at first, but I rolled with it, since the other more experienced players kept telling that rogues are meant not to be trusted and I just have to be more clever.
But this became really aggravating later, because nothing I did would increase their trust in me, to the point where the other players would take over my character or deny me treasure DM had laid out for me because of above (he told me outside of session).
This was such a shitty experience, I still refuse to play rogues and evil characters, simply because this was the first time my group had treated me this way and only when playing this style of character.

>entire DnD 5E group I play with are extremely liberal
>Decide to fuck with Them and create a Xenophobic human paladin
>Im a walking tank
>Best time of my Life because entire team are playing as other races
>Im constantly fighting Them
>They kick me out

I regret it a bit, but damn it was fun.

My character was a demon crusader killer. And they devies to adoptie a demon cat thing, I filled the kitten.

So much so that I reworked him into another character, who I ended up reworking as well through character development.
Now the circle is complete, and I intend to rewrite the original character once more with the intent of fixing the numerous problems with him and proving to myself I've improved as an RPer.

one of the reasons I don't participate actively in TTRPGs is that I am afraid that any character I make will be incompetent and bad, not pull their weight in combat, be unoptimized for anything, and basically only be there to carry things and be an extra set of hit points, and since I am too inept to be able to role play either and have no friends, the group will eventually decide just to replace my character with an NPC hireling and ask me to leave the game

>Decide to make a greedy slave catcher, my very first deliberately evil (and greedy) character ever
>Run a game with said character
>Holy fuck, this is so dull, literally nothing to do, aside bickering about taking enemies alive and sell them later
>Get his bluff and intimidation skills up ASAP to make him into standard Face with kick-ass tracking skills

Don't get me wrong, the charater was eventually fun to play, but the stark reality of being entirely superflous for the party made the first ten or so games a snoze fest.

Have you ever considered there are other aspects of the hobby than min-maxing and optimal builds? Or just tried pic related?
Because I seriously can't think about a single game where lack of min-maxing would be a serious issue outside D&D and only if we focus on 3.x edition.

Let me answer with eternal classic:
youtube.com/watch?v=vmXByDB5cN4

Sitting and crying how bad you are solves shit.

>WAAAAAAA I CAN'T PLAY WAAAAAAAAAAA
Then fucking learn how to, you imbecile. Do you even leave your basement, you fucking shut-in?

Uh, incorrect, are you dumb?

Warlocks are closer to rogues without expertise, because most of their features are "always on". You're always gonna have your chain familiar or your special tome, plus the ability to cast disguise self/levitate/alter self/eldritch blast, etc. You built your warlock poorly, but a well built warlock always has tons of utility to bring to the party. You should focus on utility spells, because damaging spells are less valuable when you have eldritch blast, and your slots are too limited to waste on abilities with a saving throw.

My very first character was literally a guy with a sword. No backstory, no characterisation, just an empty vessel. I didn't even pick my skills, since we were drawing them from the hat (it was a game with no real mechanics for char-gen), so I ended up with a bunch of combat related skills, but also empathy, wood carving and smithy.
Nobody minded, because that was my first character ever and the game was weird like that. You think people are born with some sort of talent for this or what? Because if anything, the whole "I don't have a gift/talent/whatever else for X" is the excuse lazy people say to themselves to excuse their lazyness and lack of action.

Made an Oracle in Pathfinder once, he was a Sea Oracle to fit with some plot stuff involving a Dragon that never panned out It didn't pan out because I was an autistic loser who couldn't play well with others, but that's another story who specc'd as a Feint Fighter who only ever used his fists.

I ended up being the party face you can see why that might have been a problem and I healed people sometimes.

He started out as a good dude on a quest to find his purpose and ended as a sociopath in charge of the worlds worst mercenary company who managed to stumble ass backwards into becoming a landed lord.

and I fucking hated him after the game fell apart. Three guesses why

Yes. All of them.

Or alternatively, I played a warlock 'wrong' in my first game of d&d and had such a bad experience I never wanted to go back? I had a poor experience running utility spells is the thing. Not enough rests to make it worthwhile.

Though yeah, roguelock is decent. You don't even need to level rogue, just play pure warlock and act like you have rogue levels. Better than how i played him.

Yeah.
My last two were lawful dudes in big armour, both ended up in groups otherwise made of rogues, bards, rangers, druids and warlocks, sneaking and lying their way through the games.
Effectively turning my character into a lodestone that was pretty much forced to spend every session looking away, waiting in the inn or working against the party.

Every character I amde in my teens

>made

No, because I've always put more than adequate thought and emotion into character creation. Why waste my precious time with a half-baked or mediocre idea when it takes but a fraction of that time and concern to fully consider just what it is I'm wanting to play as for what could be days, if not months, of my lifetime on this Earth.

Even my very first character — created at the ripe young age of ten years old — was a great experience, because I knew fully well that that was the sort of character I wanted to play above all the others I could reasonably come up with.

You mean....filleted, not filled?

Yes. Actually I do this constantly. It's because I used to be a forever DM and I always come up with characters that would be great or at least acceptable NPCs but aren't fun to play after a session or two.

>Morrigan Dissaproves -12

Several times, mostly with out and out unpleasant characters because playing an asshole constantly is weirdly exhausting.

Oh boy Did I Made a mess out of that sentence.

And they decided to adpot a demon cat thing, I killed the kitten.*

No, wait, I didn't mean you!
>Morrigan disapproves -7
Look, I'm serious. I'm sorry.
>Morrigan disapproves -7
>...
(Exit conversation)
>Morrigan disapproves -15

>Morrigan approval is stupid easy to aquire, to the point you can get Max bonus in camp after lothering
>People still fuck it up

Also
>Liking morrigan in the beginning, and then hating her
This is the exact opposite of how it should be.

>Yennefer
Became more likable as the game progressed though... She started as a bitch who was mad at you cause you lost your memory of her because you saved her life then she gets better after you interact more.

>Morrigan
Eh I never actively disliked her but didn't really like her either. I could see either way.

Also yes, I've had characters with neat concepts that either ended up useless or not fitting the tone of the game and so were "retired". The worst case was a game of shadowrun 3e tho, where my character was so hyper combat-competent that runs became trivial. It was an accident, first Shadowrun game ever so i figured i'd just make a dorf sammy and watch what the rest of the party did to learn the rules. Big mistake when they're going through a character every other session and I'm taking either minimal or no damage cause the enemies are afraid of taking me on

An edgy alter ego oc when I was like 14.

I still shudder remembering how cringy I was.