Should a religious inquisitor be:

a. Lawful Good (I must hunt down these heretics for the good of humanity/etc and help other people along the way!)

b. Lawful Neutral (I am the law. These heretics must be put down, and all whom stands between him/her and judgement shall be dealt with accordingly.)

c. Lawful Evil (Burning the townsfolk of this place suspected of unknowingly sheltering the witch makes my inquisitorial balls tingles with excitement)

They shouldnt be any of these, they should be like you want him to be.
But surely you wouldnt make this thread to disguise that you're an indecisive mollusk, right user ?

That aside, A is more interresting, since there's an inherited conflict in that person, the moment when the faith in the worth of humanity is tested.

The other two are close to cartoon character personalities.

I don't want to tell you that you're a brain dead shit sucker for playing such a limited and joyless system, so I won't.

They should either be of the same alignment as the deity they follow, or that of the majority of the god(dess)'s followers where such differences occur.
The deity's/majority of worshippers alignment defines the religion's orthodoxy; what an inquisitor should be hunting down is that which does not follow the correct beliefs.

They can be any alignment.
>LG: I must hunt the heretics to protect humanity, in the name of my god.
>NG: I must hunt the heretics to protect humanity, because they cannot protect themselves.
>CG: I must hunt the heretics to protect humanity, at any cost.
>LN: I must hunt the heretics in the name of my god, because if I falter, am I any different from them?
>TN: I must hunt the heretics, because it is my job.
>CN: I hunt the heretics not because I must, but because I enjoy it.
>LE: I must hunt the heretics in the name of my god; if innocents die, it is divinely ordained.
>NE: I must hunt the heretics in the name of my god; and anyone could be a heretic, even if they don't realize it.
>CE: I use "hunting heretics" as an excuse to kill people; I use divine judgment as a way to stay above the law.

>They should be the same alignment as the deity they follow
No.

>The lord inqusitor

Take the character of Vincent Price from the 1968 Folk Horror film "Witchfinder General" as a good example for an Evil aligned Religious Inquisitor.
>In 1645, during the English Civil War, Vincent Price, an opportunist and witchhunter, takes advantage of the breakdown in social order to impose a reign of terror in East Anglia. Hopkins and his assistant, Robert Russell, visit village after village, brutally torturing confessions out of suspected witches. They charge the local magistrates for the work they carry out.

Yes, that's good

today, user was a pretty cool dude

But if they aren't following the tenents of the faith they profess to be protecting by hunting down heretics, then their hypocracy will result in them not recieving "divine favour" through clerical magic...
Or at least, not from the one they supposedly worship!

Bullshit.
It only works like that in really boring fantasy.

Same in Dark Heresy (1e); if you're too Radical and accumulate too many Corruption Points, then you'll either lose access to Faith powers or be as badly effected as the intended targets when other party members use them.

"Boring fantasy" such as systems that use alignments?

I wasnt talking of alignment systems, dont put words in my mouth. It can be more interresting to have a character that doesnt follow the tenets of the faith 100%, or one the goes by the word of the holy books, not the spirits etc.
More to the point it's fucking stupid to force parallel alignment.
Is better-ish, but obiviously still flawed.

well considering an Inquisitor is someone who seeks out heresy and things that contradict the religious doctrine of the faith they represent, it's not a stretch for them to share the alignment that their deity has.

Now obviously rarely are things this straightforward, but in systems with alignment it would be quite bizarre to have an inquisitor who's personal outlook would be different from the church he is part of.

Lawful Neutral.
Don't question or even think about the ethical dilemmas of purging heretics. Your job is to weed them out and nothing more.

t.Puritan
The greater the enemy brought down the greater the honour done for the Emperor.

The Inquisition is older than the church in 40k, not older than the cult but older than the church.

Chaotic Evil, because apparently that's what you're going to play them as

bump

>a. Lawful Good
>b. Lawful Neutral
>c. Lawful Evil
Yes.

So far as I understand it, an Inquisitor is just someone of faith, not a priest, and what drives them varies from person to person. As long as you can personally make the God, backstory, and alignment jive, I don't see why any Inquisitor of any God can't fall anywhere on the 3x3.

I can see why CE might throw you through a loop with a LG God, but there's got to be a backstory to make it work if you care enough to put in the effort.

Fucking this