Why are most nobles and royals not bards, or being schooled as bards?

Why are most nobles and royals not bards, or being schooled as bards?

>Charisma is a measure of leadership, so bards are good leaders
>oratory is a valid type of performance, dance is common in balls, and some nobles might be singers or musicians anyway
>plenty of skill monkeying to cover the broad variety of skills an aristocrat needs
>plenty of utility magic and battle magic
>inspiring troops on the battlefield, and/or units of bodyguards and retainers
>can be pure magicians leading from the back, magical warriors leading from the front, or a bit of both

Because class levels are mechanical generalizations and don't exist a distinct things in-world. Your average noble spends their time learning courtly manners, attending balls and such, ending up as an Aristocrat.

Why isn't everyone in the world a player class? Life would be easier for them if they were.

>Because class levels are mechanical generalizations and don't exist a distinct things in-world.
Bardic colleges exist.

>Your average noble spends their time learning courtly manners, attending balls and such
'S what bards learn to do too.

Heroes are suppose to be rare. To give you an idea of how rare. Figure one in a hundred thousands... Of a national population that doesn't break the ten million mark. Your PC should be one of a kind. Even amongst other members of his "class," there should be little to identify the two as using the same methodology.

>Bardic colleges exist.
And those aren't "bards." They're BARDS. As in the singing dancing entertainer that can't fight, nor cast magic.

Because having the nobility all being horny sluts creates it's own set of problems

I mean, isn't this basically what the nobility was after a certain point? Like, hell, it plagued the Roman Caesarean line from the word Go. All of Augustus' problems were caused by:

>Slutty Mark Antony
>Slutty Romans not having families
>His slutty daughter

Your average street thug spends their time sneaking around, lying to people, maybe picking pockets. These are things that rogues do. Do all petty thieves havd Rogue levels?

Maybe the ones that go to rogue college.

Because NPC classes exist.

But given that I have graduated from DnD and Pathfinder, I don't have to worry about that anymore.

>Heroes are suppose to be rare. To give you an idea of how rare. Figure one in a hundred thousands... Of a national population that doesn't break the ten million mark. Your PC should be one of a kind. Even amongst other members of his "class," there should be little to identify the two as using the same methodology.

According to most calculators a PC class is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of like one in a hundred, or a couple hundred at most. The distinction is that most of them never even make it to level five.

After scrubbing through a few generators and tables on the more reputable sites you usually get like two or three characters at level ten, give or take, somewhere in a population of 500 to 1000.

Once you get to around the population of Reinaissance London or Paris or Florence or some other large and influential city that can consistently make the kind of gear parties at level five can expect to want off the cuff(high quality plate armor and weapons, exotic materials for crafting and magic), an arbitrary city in an arbitrary setting can be expected to have about half a dozen PC class NPC's at the 15-20 range.

The good ones that are gang bosses or notable thieves will have rogue levels in there somewhere. The random thugs and enforcers will just be warriors and experts with a few skill points. The thugs with some experience will just get more NPC levels.

because they have access to the class "ROYAL-ASS BALLA" which is the best class in the game.
"but why cant I be that class? my character took a throne!" quit your whining, peasant! you do not have that divine right!

Everyone's a slut if given the means. Nobles often have a lot of means. Dunno what the other guy is saying, being a slut isn't bad for nobility as long as they don't go and try to do it proudly and without the decence to kind of cover it.

One of my players in our ERP 5e campaign plays a Princess Bard who is pretty much what you described.

Both because Bards suck and because they're all Sorcerors due to
>Muh Bloodlines

>According to most calculators a PC class is usually somewhere in the neighborhood of like one in a hundred, or a couple hundred at most. The distinction is that most of them never even make it to level five.

Then you have hundreds of people running around with the strength of Gilgamesh and the powers of a Wizard? Yeah, I don't think so. The original Cleric class was based on Moses and other miracle workers, which only half a dozen ever existed. The wizard class is based on Merlin and Gandalf. Characters that existed in the single digits in their respective settings. Even in the most populated, whacked out D&D setting, Wizards were always rare, and heroic wizards even rarer.

>After scrubbing through a few generators and tables on the more reputable sites you usually get like two or three characters at level ten, give or take, somewhere in a population of 500 to 1000.

That still gives you hundreds of near demi god level warriors running around, goofing off. Which, is idiotic.

>Once you get to around the population of Reinaissance London or Paris or Florence or some other large and influential city that can consistently make the kind of gear parties at level five can expect to want off the cuff(high quality plate armor and weapons, exotic materials for crafting and magic), an arbitrary city in an arbitrary setting can be expected to have about half a dozen PC class NPC's at the 15-20 range.

Might as well not even play that setting then. As every local area has their problems squared away by powerful guardians! That sounds more like one of the paradises from Plainscape.

How do NPC classes work in 5E anyhow???

Out of all the changes within Veeky Forums this year, I think the rise to such prominence of such things as multiple "?" and "!" within the same sentence is what probably annoys me the most.

You're right. I've got to stop talking to tumblrites. My bad bro. Same question with single question mark.

A noble that can't fight is a useless noble.
The entire reason of their existence is to fight.

kill yourself anime pedshit

Bards are pretty decent at fighting with weapons, and they get plenty of combat-relevant supernatural powers.

They're obviously teenage girls at the very least. Don't be mean to user anon, you're only hurting yourself. :]

>why don't nobles work as public entertainers?
Gee, I don't know, seems so fucking appropriate.

Haven't the foggiest, sorry user. I'm guessing they're a bit more streamlined, more focussed in their 'area', slightly less "Geberalist", slightly buffed just generally and slightly more durable.

I know the punctuation is minor, but it grates at me tremendously.

They don't. 5e has let go of the dumb 3e notion that all players and NPCs must be built exactly by the same rules. NPCs are built like monsters. Some stat blocks may be based on PC classes of a certain level, but their HP is calculated differently, and some have legendary actions, legendary resistances, etc.

And by "they don't", I mean there's no such thing. NPCs don't have class levels. They can have caster levels though, and features and abilities.

>5e has let go of the dumb 3e notion that all players and NPCs must be built exactly by the same rules. NPCs are built like monsters.

I don't think so, Tim.

Look at the second bullet point here.

>So, princess, what do you want to be when you grow up?
>I want to be a level 14 bard!
>Well well, I don't want to discourage you princess, but this is a lot of XP. You'll need to kill a lot of monsters. This is a difficult job.
>I don't care, I want to be a level 14 bard!
>Well, if you really want, I guess I could sneak some goblins around for you to level up, at least one or two levels. You don't need to spend all your XPs immediately, princess, you can always multiclass later if you want.
>Yay!

Jeez. I wonder what's the problem here.

You know you CAN level up from non-combat challenges and experiences right?
A wizard who studies for a decade might be level five or six, a career mage might reach ten or eleven. It can work however you want but saying it always has to work on the Order of the Stick rules of "hur dur, rpg mechanics are physics!" is just dumb. In my opinion anyway, you do you user. God knows no one else will :D I apologize that was mean.

That is the point, you dense moron. RPG mechanics aren't physics. Asking why some people don't level in the Bard class in-setting is the most moronic question a D&D autistic retard can ask.

Nooooo the point is that you were trying to imply that the only reason why it doesn't happen is that it's impractical to rack up a high enough kill count to get to high level, when it patently isn't, as you admitted. Whether you intended to or not doesn't change the fact that you did. Just admit that you were wrong and stop raging okay user?

Because Bard is a PC class.

Nobles pick between Commoner, Warrior, Expert, Aristocrat or Adept.

>Why isn't everyone in the world a player class
Maybe because it's shitty, unflexible system that requires just as retarded level system to even look remotely workable and all of it is crap anyway? Seriously, why playing a class system at all? To intentionally strangle yourself? Is that your fetish or something? Self-choking?

>Why are most nobles and royals not bards, or being schooled as bards?

>Why would literally anybody pick Commoner instead of a different class?

Because characters in-game don't get to pick their class, their player (or, for most nobles, their DM) picks their class.

Maybe because it's the simplest and most supported mode of play? I personally love the Exalted system the most but there's 'levels' even there user. You can't run from them buddy

>Look at the second bullet point here.
Read the first bullet point, numbnuts.

>You can create an NPC stat block as you would a monster stat block.

>You can build the NPC as a player character

You CAN build them like a PC, but you can also bullshit whatever stats out you want like you would a monster.

Cool > Passion >>> Cute
that's all. have a nice day

Yeah. You can use monster stats, which have no classes, or you can use PC stats, which have PC classes. There are no NPC classes. Unless you count the two villainous classes in the DMG. Things like nobles, priests and guards are monster statblocks.

Because it's hard and they have people for that.

because royal bastards are a fucking nightmare to deal with, and bards spawn far to many bastards