ITT: Vent about minor issues you have with your games

I've been in this game online recently. Overall, it's been an absolute blast. I'm loving the characters, the system's one I hadn't tried before and it's really fun, the GM really knows what he's doing, it's great.

My only issue is that I feel as if my character's going nowhere, and to a lesser extent that the plot is moving at a crawl. It feels like we never get to progress towards any of our goals. Any attempts at making headway fail or make things worse. We've been given no real short term goals to aim for, so there's no bad guys to fight but important NPCs with plot armor that need to last until later in the game, or plot points to chase up that we can actually make progress on. As a result of this, I haven't actually been able to have my character do what I made him to do since we can't ever truly win a fight, and I'm left with blue balls after every battle. At the same time, because I'm enjoying the characters so much I don't want to just leave the game or tell the GM to speed things up or ask for a chance to play my character, because I feel that'd throw him off. The other players tell me I should just "go with the flow" and accept what the GM wants to happen, which they don't seem to have a problem with, but to me that sounds too close to railroading. We're are only five sessions in, but that's been a month of real time because of IRL shit going down, and it just feels as if we've been going forever without anything happening.

Am I right to feel frustrated about this, Veeky Forums? What should I do, if anything? Current plan is to do nothing and let it happen, as the other players suggest, but it doesn't make me feel any better.

god I hope the people in my game don't see this thread

>the GM really knows what he's doing
>plot is moving at a crawl. It feels like we never get to progress towards any of our goals.
>I haven't actually been able to have my character do what I made him to do since we can't ever truly win a fight
>I'm left with blue balls after every battle

Your DM sucks cock. Find a better game.

See, the thing is that I say that, but the setting and worldbuilding are great, the NPCs are fantastic, he's putting a ton of work into running side sessions at least two or three times a week most weeks on top of the regular session, and what we've seen of the plot so far has been enjoyable. It's just the pace of the plot itself that annoys me, and even then that's explainable with how we've had delays due to IRL issues.

If I have any criticism of the guy, it's that he didn't include any early-game antagonists yet and instead we've just spent the first 30% of the campaign being stalemated against the late game fuckers by plot.

>only five sessions in
>a month of real time
>this a bad thing
Jeez if you think that's slow-paced you'd probably cry at my group's speed
we play once every other week

so he's got a good story but he's bad at running a game. you should still say something to him, otherwise he'll continue doing exactly the same thing, and you'll continue with the exact same frustrations.

yes, i know, you perceive that conversation as conflict and conflict is scary. but it'll probably go alright, and at least this guy isn't your mum.

Looking back at some google docs linked to the campaign, turns out it's actually more like a month and a half, maybe two months. Still, I probably would cry at that speed, you're right.

The other issue is the rest of the group think it's great. I'm the only one with a problem that's actually talked about it. I've considered just finding a new group, but I'm enjoying the characters and the story too much to drop it, I'm too invested now..

It sounds like there's nothing else going on in your life? Maybe you just need to think about other stuff for a while so you don't get so impatient.

My Player Characters don't seem to be losing engagement in the game.
They all turn up they all tell me they had a good time but I feel the early enthuesiam has wayned.

The PC's have no ambition, and they have no curiosity. If I don't give them rails they just hang about camp, if I give them rails they just sit on them.

>vent about minor issues
My group does semi-nightly PbP in lieu of in-person sessions because we're all adulting and geographically scattered. It's fun, but when we do it, the pace of posting understandably only picks up around 10pm, so it's not all that much time in a given day.

This guy's right about OP. I don't know about dumping the game, that's your call. What I do know is that your feelings of frustration and thoughts of leaving the game are strong indicators that it's not going so well for you.

>feels frustrated
>current plan is to do nothing
Wrong answer. I say talk with the GM about your concerns, if you haven't done so already. You don't need to make demands, but it may help to let him know what you feel and what you imagine is causing you to feel that way. After a conversation or two like that, it should be easy to decide what the next steps are.

if he's creating encounters that you can't contribute to, and leaving you sitting there doing fuck all, then he's not doing a good job. you need to ask him to make it interesting for you.

interpersonal communication, man.

I'm down to two players. One only plays psychotic murderers, and the other is passivity incarnate.

>tee hee hee

>See, the thing is that I say that, but the setting and worldbuilding are great, the NPCs are fantastic, he's putting a ton of work into running side sessions at least two or three times a week most weeks on top of the regular session, and what we've seen of the plot so far has been enjoyable.

You just described a book. If you didn't play but had the sessions recorded and listened to them as a podcast would you get equal enjoyment out of them?

If players can't shape events and the world you are playing an audio book.

>If I don't give them rails they just hang about camp

Roll will save. Your characters doesn't want to be an adventurer anymore, make a new character.

That's pretty much how I feel right now, but I've been assured by other players, who've been with this GM before, that we're gonna be going somewhere and it'll be good once I finally get my chance. I mostly just wanted to vent in here about it being frustrating having to wait.

>there's no bad guys to fight but important NPCs with plot armor that need to last until later in the game
what
Ask him to give you some NPCs you can actually deal with. Like, why do THESE NPCs need to last? Why can't they just send an underling to fight you in their stead that you can beat up?

That's pretty shitty GMing if you can't lose some NPCs.

>send message to group on facebook
>"hey when can you guys play"
>seen by everyone
>three days later: "I can play at these dates"
>me:ok, does that work for anyone else?
>seen by everyone
>no replies, the dates come and go

>Like, why do THESE NPCs need to last?
They need to last because they're way above our level and capability to take on at the moment despite us somehow managing to stalemate them every time. To be fair they do sometimes bring minions/summon a backup before teleporting out, but there's never any actual plot or investment in said minions/backup, it's always just X's random no-name summon.
>Why can't they just send an underling to fight you in their stead that you can beat up?
One of them is crazy, the other is the underling of somebody else we haven't met.

I wasn't gonna vent but fuck it
>superhero game
>using Fate Core, an accommodating system you can easily mod and tweak
>make no effort to actually mod or tweak anything from vanilla

>They need to last because they're way above our level and capability to take on at the moment despite us somehow managing to stalemate them every time.
This is sounding worse and worse.

Why can't they have minons high above your level that CAN have names and you CAN defeat?

Why can't you find some sidegoals that can have people you can defeat?

Are you deliberately letting them get away, or are you metagaming to let them get away? One would think your characters would learn to pack anti-teleportation magic in a scroll or something.

It sounds like the GM is trying to run a fucking JRPG story.

It's going slow but then it's everyone's fault a little and can't really be avoided.
Also I can't shake the feeling we've completely overlooked some obvious clue on the BBEG's whereabouts and that we've been fumbling in the dark more than the DM ever intended.

>This is sounding worse and worse.
I swear to god the game is actually good. I am enjoying it. It sounds like cancer in this thread because I'm only going into the bad bits because that's what this thread is for.
>Why can't they have minons high above your level that CAN have names and you CAN defeat?
Pic related.
>Why can't you find some sidegoals that can have people you can defeat?
Another character got one, but so far mine has not. This has been brought up.
>Are you deliberately letting them get away, or are you metagaming to let them get away? One would think your characters would learn to pack anti-teleportation magic in a scroll or something.
Not yet we haven't.

>I swear to god the game is actually good. I am enjoying it.
I believe you, but what about it is so good? You haven't really mentioned anything ITT other than "the NPCs" and "the worldbuilding."
I'm assuming if you're having fun there's more to it than that, maybe we can get a clue about his plans if you tell us

Bring up your original post as an issue. Ask if you can have something that appeals to your character personally, or make it feel like you're doing something.

Get your character able to do something like heroically save a burning orphanage or something.

I don't want to go into too much detail, group members use Veeky Forums.
I have. He said that if I wanted it to have any narrative weight or impact on any of my character's goals it'd have to wait, otherwise it'd just be a random fight.

Also, just in case my GM is watching me roast him in this thread and I don't realise it, this was paraphrasing. He did not literally say that. It was more like "Do you just want a fight, or do you want something with impact and meaning" or something along those lines.

I hate how D&D 5e

happens maybe once a month and has a guy in it who bitches no matter what happens.
>doesn't oneshot an enemy
"Lame shoulda died."
>gets attacked by an enemy
"Since I don't get to roleplay I guess I attack."
>Gets a reward for something
"Not interested unless its something cool for me."
>Someone else gets the spotlight for a bit
"Guys can we move on? I wanna actually RP."
>Someone elses turn
"tell me when its my turn, i'm gonna play a videogame and not pay any attention."
>Not in combat
"Huh? Sorry I wasn't paying attention, are we fighting yet?"

My DM's a nice guy and all, but sometimes he is just stupid when it comes to certain encounters.

Last campaign we were swarmed with Undead, enough to surround us and then some. Perfect chance for someone like my Cleric to Channel Positive Energy, right? Well too bad, despite the 30' RADIUS it has, it's only affecting the front line because the DM doesn't want to bother keeping track.

Now we're doing a new campaign. My rogue' s a rough guy and tries to find a fight in an arena. The DM pits me against a CR1 Fighter and I'm nearly killed. But whatever, that I can let slide I guess. Later that night, as the party does various things in the city, we each get attacked by CR1 Ghouls! I only survive thanks to another party member criting it after I fall unconscious, and most of the others end up saved by NPCs before they're gnawed to death. Then the DM tells those of us who were knocked out to roll on a maim chart that's only used for massive damage! After we regroup and make our way over to the inn, we get swarmed by six more of the same ghouls! Half of us get gnawed to death while the rest of the party flees. What kind of moron tosses several CR1 creatures at a group of level one characters...?

Does he think that the challenge rating means what level character they're equal to, not what level party?

Yet when I point this out to wbgfags they screech that the world building is what allows players to believe in the world.

Then again they're the same people who defend quantum ogres and fudging because muh epic narrative.

Tell them to shape the fuck up or square the fuck up you bottom beta bitch. You have a fucking mouth, it's not only for guzzling dewritos.
>This goes to everyone else ITT too

We can't kick out That Guy, because we have a small group.

He's the type of guy who does nothing but make LE WACKY XDDD CHAOTIC "NEUTRAL" ALCOHOLIC GUY, so every session we have to babysit his fucking character so we don't derail the campaign. The others is my group finally got sick of him, but if we kick him out, we're down to 4 people, DM included. I'm tempted to kill his character, but he's got that stupid fucking meme Rod of Wonders with a 10,000 different effects that he imported from another group. He's already managed to erase one of our party members from reality.

>but if we kick him out, we're down to 4 people, DM included
doesn't sound like a problem to me. I've played many games with 3 players.
either they hire an NPC, the DM tones things down a little, or the players just have to get smarter

4 people is more than enough. You can happily run with 3. I've done two & one person sessions to good effect.

The detriment of having to adjust your game to a smaller group far far out weighs the detrimental effect of a shitty player. Have words with him and if he doesn't sort his shit out ask him to leave.

I thought he did, we even explained that to him when we learned the fighter I fought was CR1, so who knows? For all I know he might think anything lower won't be a challenge to us or some nonsense...

To clarify, we have a lot of issues with being able to make sessions, and used to have 9 people to make up for it.

The worst thing about my GM is how little confidence he has in his own games

You can tell how much work he puts into his games, he always has stuff like music picked out for encounters and handouts for things we find, but he never seems convinced we’re enjoying the sessions he runs.

It’s always “are you guys sure you likwant r it? I’m not sure if I balanced that encounter right. I was on the spot during that scene and I’m not very good at improv.”

And then we say no, we had a great time, and he’s always going “you can tell me if there was something you didn’t enjoy, really! I’m always looking to improve. Let me know over discord, if you don’t want to tell me in person,”

Sometimes I just want to grab him by the shoulders and shake him and go goddamnit, you oversensitive twat, you’re running a great game! Your running a wondetruly game! Stop stressing yourself out so much, we’re all having a great fucking time”

And then maybe kiss his face, but I know he doesn’t swing that way and I wouldn’t want to jeaopardize our friendship like that

Thankyou user I needed to hear this

and I do swing that way,come here you

story of my fucking life desu

Quality GMs tend to have very low opinions of themselves and their craft. That might well help propel them toward GMing greatness. Despite being a longtime player, I'm still not sure how to make GMs feel good about themselves in an honest manner.

I've lately been trying to nurture my GM with straightforward and matter-of-fact acknowledgements of the quality of his games, while also trying to acknowledge his areas of weakness so he might find my feedback more believable. I have no idea if it's working or not.

>tfw you're easily pleased and can't find weaknesses or problems beside the one everyone already pointed out and agreed not much could be done about it.

Have you tried talking to him? Maybe he doesn't realize he's being an asshole.

There's a campaign I've been in since the beginning of May, it was a lot of fun but now it's slowly dying. I don't think the GM's heart is in it anymore, the sessions have been getting shorter and shorter (rarely longer than 2 hours now) and the last 3 have all been cancelled basically because he just didn't feel like running them. The other two campaigns I'm playing in have had the GMs cancel more often than not lately too, but the first one hurts the most because it's been going the longest and was so much fun. I kind of feel like dropping all three so I can at least do something else with those timeslots instead of setting them aside for something that keeps getting cancelled at the last minute.

I hate how everyone else in the party is an asshole to every NPC they meet and the GM never gives them any consequences for it.

I’m in a shitty spot Veeky Forums. A good buddy of mine has been running a game for some of my housemates and I and well it’s gotta kinda boring honestly. The plot feels like it’s just doing circles and the GM has given us items that have made the game sort of easy. Combat has been a bit of a challenge which is good, but as a new GM he’s letting literally everything thing else just not matter. We’ve made efforts to engage NPCs and he just sort of shunts it off. Either way my house has agreed we’d rather play KDM that night, but aren’t sure how to let him know.

If you're the DM, tell the group that if they pull that shit again they're getting kicked.

I've come to the slow realization I just hate combat. Literally no matter the system, combat becomes a drag and a bore. When I play I try to make characters that either stay out of combat as much as possible or just end combat as quickly as possible. When DMing I make combat quick encounters or the occasional boss battle.

I love my groups, but the one I currently play in has combat encounters that take nearly the whole session, and the other I DM for is populated by murderhobos.

Any suggestions? Systems are FATE, Star Wars: Saga Edition, and D&D.

Talk to the GM. Don't tell him it's boring, just say you've gotten burned out and want to do something fresh. Everyone backing you up should do it.

I feel incredibly stressed out and nervous regarding a game I'm and I don't even know why. I have issues with the game, but I've discussed them with the group and we've agreed to work on them and everyone seems to be able to move on, but I still feel like it's all fucked. I don't even dislike the game, I don't want to leave it but I don't see how else I can relieve this.

My players are going from murderhobo-ing to actually good roleplay in a single session.

If they like NPCs and situation, they'll roleplay fairly well.
Necromancer took urn of ashes of an NPC who tried to achieve immortality. Says that he respects his goal and wishes to pass on his remains to his family. And that if the guy actually managed to achieve immortality, he would've followed his steps. But the dude went mad.

If they feel like NPC is a "bad guy" (which they aren't in most cases, they're just on the opposite team), they'll go out of their way to murder the fucker. And all the honor and dignity of their characters goes out of the window.
Also, the greed can get the best of them. But thank god a simple "I don't your character would do that" from me makes them stop and think.

I'm the "Game Mechanics Guy". I'm the only one who ever understands the system we're playing in. If I'm not GMing (which is 75% of the time), then whoever the current GM is always comes to be for help and advice. Any time anyone has homebrew stuff, it falls on me to balance it. I'm in the middle of hacking together a system for my wife all because she wanted to run a game in a particular videogame universe, she cpuodnt find a system that emulated to games perfectly, and I didn't have the heart to tell her I didn't want to do it.

Why don't you guys read the damn books? Why don't you learn the mechanics? Of course, user will do it for you! You don't need to learn or use your brains. I swear, after I'm done with writing this system, I'm finished holding their hands. Learn And balance your own shit.

Problem is we would be ditching the GM and one of the other players if we stopped playing.

Maybe, but maybe not if you do something fun every session. OP sounds like he has a boring DM with no idea how to run a game.

>Have stuff laid out for a few encounters, typically social or exploratory
>Describe the room the players enter
>Throw in a few details to add more to avoid big square rooms
>Players latch onto details and spend an hour looking into it or figuring out what it means and how they can use it

It's really my fault but holy fuck, sometimes the stack of crates on the dock have nothing to do with anything.

I real tired of one of my players back-seat DMing I really am. No you can't make the room, How would you know what the fucking room is? Do you have my DM notes? No you can't look up the rules first, I'm telling you what they are because I have the rules in front of me and I ultimately decide what we follow anyway. You can't start the Gaming Sessions for me. No you can't tell other people where they need to go and if there decision is the wrong one. Stop telling other players what they're doing is wrong because it doesn't fit your tactical plan.

Jesus fucking Christ just STOP.

God I relate to this so much

Then fucking improv and give it a meaning faggo

Have you told him this, because this isn't a "minor" thing.

Players tend to do a lot of that crap. You just have to get good at improv.

For instance one player kept going to all the bookshelves to find and take erotic novels for some goddamn reason. Rather then get upset I let him and decided to later usee the books as part of a puzzle further on down the way.

On individual matters, yes. Particularly when he gets mad at people for doing things he doesn't like. I've not had a big talk about how he needs to step the fuck back and be less controlling.

The closest we got was when he blew up at someone for killing an unconscious Green Dragon that he thought he could turn good.

Why the fuck does everything everywhere have to be tied to the party? What kind of retarded ass shit is that?

Yeah, this.

Because if it doesn't impact the party then it's just the GM writing a fucking novel.

Right, atmosphere's for faggots.

>Play a fantasy, shadowrun-esque one-shot in the GM's homebrew system and setting
>Love the guy's storytelling but his system sucks dick, especially casting and criticals
>Casters can come up with new spells at will (with minuses to the roll and higher mana cost)
>Ask the GM for a bunch of mildly useful starting items (IMO the only way to keep up with casters in terms of options)
>3-man party is Thief/Party Face (me), Assassin and Water Mage; we're tasked with infiltrating a casino/brothel
>Owner stole Johnson's money and we have to get it back (and kill the owner if possible)
>But we need to be as subtle as possible, otherwise the Johnson will have to send cleaners or bribe the authorities
>We fail our perception rolls and don't meet our contact at the brothel
>When we finally get to him he doesn't tell us anything we didn't know
>We sneak into the boss' quarters (turns out he's a 10' tall [giant race name])
>Quickly dispose of a boss assassin, search the room. All we notice is a fancy locked drawer
>I roll to pick my first lock tonight. Critical failure (97 on a d100). GM decide my lockpick breaks.
>I use my pliers to recover the lockpick. Critical failure again (100 on a d100).
>GM decides the lockpick piece gets stuck in the drawer and can't be recovered.
>Fuck this, hey water mage, use your powers to make the wood swell and break.
>BANG. The boss's desk ITSELF is actually hollow and CRAMMED FULL OF GOLD COINS.
>THERE IS NO FUCKING WAY WE COULD HAVE RECOVERED THE MONEY

(cont.)

My only gripe is my DM won't allow Aasimar but that's just because I have a boner for playing Aasimar. Other than that, great campaign.

I forgot to mention, the Assassin is a PC in the main campaign, this one-shot focuses on his past, so he effectively can't die. Water mage is a potential PC for a new player that may join the campaign later.

>Any gems or valuable things in there, GM? "Nope, just coins."
>God damn it. Okay, I take all I can carry (that's 140 GP) and dump some of my items. Other players take 40 GP, and a symbolic 1 GP.
>Security comes after us. 14 big thugs and like four ninja-esque assassins.
>We slow them down. I tie my rope to the window and rappel out of the building.
>I get out fine. Assassin was carrying a rescued hostage and breaks a leg upon landing. Mage gets a real nasty scimitar blow to the back
>We all GTFO. All of us separate and head in random directions, planning to meet back at Johnson's house.
>Since the money he stole is worth more than three times Johnson's promised payout, my thief is going to stash half of it at home.
>It's 3 AM in-game by that point. My character has dumped his lantern and has a candle left.
>Me: "Assuming my home's on the way to Johnson's, I stop by my home to stash some money."
>GM: "Sure." He mentions my character getting some light to know what he's doing in the dark.
>At this point, I just nod because I've got this candle in my inventory, that's perfect.
>GM: "You hear shouting outside. Thugs screaming THERE'S LIGHT HERE! GET HIM!"
>wat.jpg
>It's 3 AM, the thugs have been running after me for like half an hour, GM said this is an incredibly narrow street
>And somehow the thugs manage to notice candlelight at some random-ass house's window.
>And they magically figure it's the thief and not the fucking neighborhood baker making some bread or something
>At this point, I'm too caught up in the action to say anything. Fuck it, let's go with the flow.

(cont.)

One of my players is extremely flatulent.

It can be annoying how willing some of my players are to be side characters in another player's story. When pressed, the passive players have good ideas and pick up on my hints a lot earlier than the guy that ends up making the decisions, they just never tell anyone about them for some reason. They'll just let the guy with the worst ideas call the shots because he's always the first one to speak.

In my other group, there's a clear mismatch between what the GM and players want out of the game. The GM seems to want to run us through the standard "do quests, kill shit" DnD game where he can show off his maps and encounters while the players are perfectly content to sit there roleplaying with one another for hours on end.

>Get out through the window. Time to jump across the rooftops, I'm a fucking thief
>But I'm rolling to failure, to borrow The Alexandrian's phrasing. I manage to make 4 jumps.
>Then I fail my dexterity check. I crash to the ground and struggle to get back up
>I'm in a narrow alley and the thugs are closing in on both sides, somehow
>Meanwhile, the other 2 PCs have major wounds but they can outrun the thugs just fine I guess
>GM: "Well, that's it. You're effectively dead, so I'm deleting your character sheet."
At this point, things clicked in my head: my character is the most disposable of the bunch. He doesn't have plot immunity like the Assassin. He's not going to join the main campaign like the Mage. And I'm fairly certain the GM wanted to force some kind of "greed doesn't pay" aesop, because my character had the audacity to grab 140 GP to compensate for this fucking suicide mission.
>Me: "What the fuck, at least give me a chance." GM agrees. "Is there a window nearby?" GM says there is but I can't reach it.
>Is there anything I can climb on? Stones jutting out of the alley walls, a gutter drain, whatever?
>GM says no, the houses are all made of wood, you should have paid attention when I described the neighborhood at the beginning.
At this point the guy probably thinks he's being subtle but I can tell he's just waiting to kill my character.
>Try to duck under one of the thugs' legs at the last moment, get a huge penalty to roll, fail, get knocked prone and grappled
>I'm out of options so I reach into my inventory, open the flasks of lantern oil and rub them on myself
>Can't grapple me if I'm too slippery, bitches. Manage to get up despite the GM giving me a penalty for slipperiness.
>Offer to give all the money back if they'll let me live. Charisma roll has an abysmal success chance. Fail, of course.
>Try some other kind of desperation maneuver, I don't remember. Thugs' turn. Lose half my HP in one hit. Then half of what I had left.

(cont.)

>GM rules I'm bleeding everywhere and can't stand up. I offer the thugs all the info they'd like on my employer. Need to make a Constitution roll to speak, fail, just cough up blood.
>Pray to the gods aka roll 1d100 and try to get a prime number. Fail. (The other two PCs later prayed with success. No fudging, the dice just hate me. Except when I'm GMing, my shitty goblins are lottery-winning murder machines.)
>Ninja thug decapitates my character while the GM narrates something about how maybe that gold wasn't worth it (fuck you, my PC thinks this is a great way to die)
>GM: "As your head flies, you contemplate the night sky and discover the meaning of life." Then it's back to the other 2 PCs until the end of the session.
>Listen to the other PCs interact with the rescued hostage for half an hour, until I say I'm going to get some asleep
>GM: "Wow this was fun. Anyway, next time Thief, I'm nerfing your inventory. You really had too much stuff."
>mfw I have no face

Look dude I like you and I love your stories, I love making shitty jokes with you and the other players over voice chat, but you keep saying I just had bad luck that game. The thing is, your system is shit and a lot of your mechanical decisions are also fucking shit. Your point buy system is terrible, the average success chance is 40% and you rarely ever apply significant modifiers, some stats don't ever come up. I gave my character near zero in Willpower because that was the only way I could get a significant success chance at Charisma and Dexterity. Fix your shit. I'm not angry about you killing the thief, and I don't regret spending my whole night to play your one-shot, it was funny as fuck. But next time maybe let chance decide and give me decent odds instead of stacking the deck against the obvious antihero to force some kind of karmic nonsense.

I forgot to mention: when stashing the gold, the GM ruled my character went into his home, grabbed a spare FUCKING GAS LANTERN he had lying around (which I didn't know were a thing in his fantasy setting; he told me to pay attention despite mentioning them like once ever) and then lit it up, because obviously my thief can't find his mattress in the dark. Even then I'm not sure the light of a gas lantern is enough to draw the attention of some thugs running through a narrow street at 3 AM, but hey, whatever.

It was a great session but man, the way the GM handled this very minor issue (well, as minor as a PC death is, even in a one-shot) pissed me off. Not to mention the Mage and Assassin that kept being all like "greed is bad, it's like pottery". It was a tiny detail at the very end but man, I'm still a bit mad about it.

learn when to run, don't expect every fight to be winnable just because
fucking D&Dtards, I swear

>put in an arena to fight
>DUDE JUST RUN AWAY LMAO

You're the retard here friend

1st level fighter seems like a reasonable entry-tier arena combatant. Player wanted an arena fight and he got one, no one is going to ask about his character class at signup. If people fight there to the death, it's on him, if not, he'd get some help from the staff afterwards.

CR1 is not the equivalent of a level one party member. CR 1/4 or 1/5 is. CR1 is the equivalent of a level one PARTY, or FOUR-TO-FIVE level one party members.

You could just tell them up front that not all of you descriptions necessarily imply importance

>Just run away
>Spend action to dash away from ghoul
>Eat attack of opportunity
>Ghoul spends an action to dash into melee range with you again
>Repeat
>Attempt to disengage
>Don't eat attack of oppurtunity
>Ghoul walks up to you and just hits you

When will the "Run away" meme die? It's basically fucking impossible in D&D without DM Fiat because of how the speed system is structured.

Running away only works for classes that get a speed boost or half elves. Even then the DM can just give enemies higher speed if he feels like it.

The lack of agency in games I play. I don't even get to decide how my character reacts to things.
>Get introduced to the party
>"This guy appears to be tied up in a treasure chest, do you free him?"
>Party says no and walks away
>Bored player decides to slit the guy's throat
>Apparently that guy was me, and the DM had to intervene to prevent PVP
Later on...
>Miss an attack roll
>"You swing and miss, making you feel frustrated."
>Fail an athletics check to grapple
>"You grab at the enemy and they slap your hand away. You slink back, defeated."
>Try to do literally anything
>Character is implied to be a dumb retard if he fails, or implied to be a superhero if he succeeds

Like what the hell, give me a chance to play my character. Where do these overbearing DMs come from that think the only control players should have is simply rolling the dice and vaguely directing what their character will do?

I have only ever had this problem with D&D. Which is weird, because there's nothing outright preventing it in any other system I can think of, or anything in D&D I can see that directly encourages it.

>Am I right to feel frustrated about this, Veeky Forums?
Yes. I've been in games with elements like you are describing and they are boring and frustrating as shit.

>What should I do, if anything?
If you want, you can try to talk to the GM and explain, you know, calmly and diplomatically, some of the things that are frustrating you. Personally, I gave up on that approach because it never once worked, and in some cases actually made the game worse because the GM would get angry and try to punish us for daring to talk back. But who knows. Maybe yours is the mythical jackalope of game masters who actually listens to feedback, doesn't take it as a personal attack, attempts to improve based on what he hears, and is actually able to do so. Finding someone who has all four of the capabilities is pretty fucking rare.

Short of that, just weigh whether you are having enough fun that you want to stick it out through the bullshit or if it is too annoying. Then either stay or go. I've left games that annoyed me, and I've stuck around in games that annoyed me. It just depends on the ratio of annoyance to enjoyment.

Different user here, I'm and my GM pulls this quite a lot even though he's never played D&D (IIRC).

At one point he even told me my character fell in love with some NPC. She wasn't even a succubus or anything. I had to bring it up with him and he's been doing it much less often now, thankfully.

I've actually done it before, but only once and it was a literal spell, part of the dungeon's defences.
I told my players to NOT go into the magical darkness, or they will die. They did anyway. They fought a hard fight but lived, so all good I guess?

OP here. Thanks, user, I'll take your advice here. I've explained the situation to the GM, he said he understands but I have to trust him and he'll get to it in time.

To be fair, another player almost lost patience a lot earlier in the game and right now we're on an arc focused on his character so seems like there's a precedent for waiting here. Still kinda sucks though.

Text-based roll20 campaign. I can't roleplay for shit. I want to play my character as a no-nonsense, deadpan snarker but I'm simply not witty and not fast-thinking enough to say exactly what I'd like to say. All I end up with is some matter of fact statement about what's happening in the moment and other forgettable lines.

I'm afraid I simply chose to play someething that's out of my reach, I should play some retarded orc next time...

If you give him confidence he'll put less effort in. His self-esteem is a cheap price for your enjoyment. It's a doggy dogg world, gotta take what you can and fuck the rest.

>And then maybe kiss his face, but I know he doesn’t swing that way
Do *you* swing that way or is he that good of a DM?

And they say online playing is inferior.

>I'm simply not witty and not fast-thinking enough to say exactly what I'd like to say

I feel your pain. I can never play face characters for this reason so I end up as support 9 times out of 10. I enjoy playing supporting roles but sometimes it can get a little boring playing characters that aren't very good with words.

have you? considered?? not,,, playing?,? with him???

Don't give details that aren't important. Honestly its kind of weird to say "You see a stack of crates by the docks" and NOT have that mean anything. Details without importance, especially in a game, is not good writing.

Otherwise, just tell the players they are at the docks. They'll probably imagine details like that themselves.

You poor, poor man...