EDH/Commander General /edhg/

Three Weeks to RIX Spoilers Edition

Previous: RESOURCES

>Latest News:
mtgcommander.net/Forum/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=18749

>Official Site: Contains deck building rules and the current ban list.
mtgcommander.net

>Deck List Site: You can search for decks that other people have made. Authors often have comments that explain their decks strategy and card choices.
tappedout.net

>Statistically see what everyone else puts in their commander decks based on what is posted to the the internet.
edhrec.com/

>Find out what lands you can add to your deck, sorted by category, based on a chosen Commanders color identity.
manabasecrafter.com/

CARD SEARCH

>Official search site. Current for all sets.
gatherer.wizards.com/

>Unofficial, but has GOAT search interface.
magiccards.info

>Thread Question
What obscure or underdeveloped tribe do you wish you could build around?

Other urls found in this thread:

deckstats.net/decks/99245/870896-edh-mill-black-blue?saved=1&lng=en
magiccards.info/query?q=t:enchantment o:”to your mana pool” -c:u&v=card&s=cname
mtggoldfish.com/spoilers/Rivals of Ixalan
ebay.com/itm/BCW-400-Count-Storage-Box-Sports-Card-Gaming-Card-Box/302554403975?hash=item4671a5d487:g:kRoAAOSwzppaIzkD
tappedout.net/mtg-decks/phoebe-commander-of-sneak/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Mindslaver in gay dudes, yay or nay?

>TQ
Insects. I want a remake of Xira Arien.

>What obscure or underdeveloped tribe do you wish you could build around?
[Spoiler]cats[/Spoiler]

What’s the best way to break this?

>Insect Tribal with token swarming and grave shenanigans that isn't just reanimator
I have never noticed that a remake of Xira Arien is the Jund Commander I always wanted.

Ok so I already ordered some cards for Mimeoplasm but I was goldfishing him just now and I realized the deck doesn't do very well past the first mimeoplasm cast (if it goes bad)

Generally speaking, what should I be doing?

>stack protection on mimeoplasm himself to make sure he doesn't needlessly die, rely mostly on recasting him if he gets removed

or

>put in a good deal of sac outlets and reanimation to reanimate as a backup plan and to sac mimeoplasm in response to disruption, forgo protection otherwise

I know it's a matter of taste but I'd still like to hear if anyone has experience with the commander and can tell me how either build works out. I'd rather have the deck style that is less obnoxious for everyone else

Play it in 1v1

>>put in a good deal of sac outlets and reanimation to reanimate as a backup plan and to sac mimeoplasm in response to disruption, forgo protection otherwise

to clarify, i had issues doing this since the fucker eats through my grave in an instant. i'm sure it's less of a problem irl when i have 3 other graves to exile from, but still. most people in my meta run shitty tribal or synergy jank like karlov, so copying their stuff isn't that great.

Play a bunch of back up plans, i use a lot of dredge and wheel effects in mine so i fill up the graveyard prettty quickly, i run Mortal Combat and some cheap reanimation spells like Reanimate, Victimize, Animate Dead etc. to make sure i can do something else in case Memeoplasm gets hated out.

I could also run Laboratory Maniac since my deck gets thin pretty quick but that would make it a pretty easy wincon to achieve and wouldn't just work as a backup plan.

>Thread question
Definitely specters, it's kind of lame that there isn't a legendary for them. It would be mass hand destruction.

>implonking

r8 my mill deck

It's for group plays, my first deck in years. Phenax doesnt necessarily need to be the commander, pretty much any legendary can, especially hexproof Lazav

So what did your local post officer bring you today, anons?

>that Sly Spy - X synergy

I need enchantments that make mana that aren't blue. I already have black market. What are my options? I also already have a Serra Sanctum so don't worry about that.

Honestly, the new commander decks made so much “choose a tribe” tribal stuff that you could make almost any tribal deck work off the backs of crazy cards like the wrath and the enchantments.

>I need enchantments that make mana that aren't blue.

Frontier Siege

magiccards.info/query?q=t:enchantment o:”to your mana pool” -c:u&v=card&s=cname

>deckstats.net/decks/99245/870896-edh-mill-black-blue?saved=1&lng=en

Foil Karlov Horse

Don't be obtuse, I already have a different stax deck.
Ye
Fair. I've never used that search engine, thx bby

>Three Weeks to RIX Spoilers Edition
We have some today at least mtggoldfish.com/spoilers/Rivals of Ixalan

You can make the query even better but since it was only two pages of results, I figured it would do.

I recommend any EDH player to familiarize themselves with that syntax, it saves a lot of the time.

Fucking hell I'm such a newfaggot

r8 my mill deck

It's for group plays, my first deck in years. Phenax doesnt necessarily need to be the commander, pretty much any legendary can, especially hexproof Lazav

Link works now

I actually really look forward to Bass's Bounty since I like treasure but I wish they had made silvergill adept "reveal a merfolk or wizard". I mean they printed a wizard commander deck and now they've already forgotten the tribe again

>I mean they printed a wizard commander deck and now they've already forgotten the tribe again
Silvergill Adept is a reprint, you fuck.

「 H O M A R I D S 」

Anyone got any good recommendations for wincons in Rashmi that aren't infinite/labman combos?

I just want a Legendary Bear for my Bear tribal deck

If I copied someone's basic Kraj deck, what could I go for to personalize it?
Some big X mana pay-off since the main shenanigans of Kraj is to get infinite mana?
Or some Herald of Secret Streams business since I'd have so many +1/+1 counters in circulation?
Or use Arcanis burn through my deck for a surprise Laboratory Maniac?
Or streamline the basic Kraj combo, then run Biovisionary and a bunch of shapeshifters?

Once upon a time I wanted to make some Kraj deck with shit from Ixalan, but then I realized very few Ixalan cards have good abilities to take. Maybe Rivals will give me what I wanted.

The majority of said Kraj deck

She's simicgoodstuff.dec anyway why vother making her even slightly original

the way it's 5 mana abiltity is worded means you can play stuff from your hand, so omniscience, ulamog etc are now 3ub lol

I don't like winning games regardless of opponents' board states and life totals, it makes every effort up until that point feel meaningless.

just play death's shadow+ that 1/1 unblockable infect dude+ lgreaves

>2 mana 2/2
>each bear you control has T: This creature fights target creature you don't control
or you could just use surrak

Nope. MaRo said it only works while X is being revealed by his own effect in another player's hand.

>Thread Question
Tribes: Ninjas, moonfolk, rogues, crabs, knights, soltari, dauthi
Mechanics: Ninjitsu, Shadow, Ingest, Suspend (actual suspend synergies, not Jhoira), Prowl, "Flowstone", returning your own permanents to your hand, Scry

So, further proof that MaRo is an idiot?
This doesn't seem to be a thing that needs a day 0 errata. It should have been caught in testing.

>TQ
still bows my mind why they couldn't make a squirrel legend

No, it's because it doesn't say "from" in the rules text. It's actually kind of esoteric rules text that get in the way of it, but it's completely by the books.

Do you guys think this would be too good if the ability could be activated from the command zone? I kinda want to make it if my group is okay with it.

The oracle rulings for Mairsil are kinda funny. Its neat that he can get crewed and make friends. But it doesn't mention anything about flip cards, if you exile a flip card with Mairsil do you get the abilities of both sides or just one? Idk if there even are any fli pcards with activated abilities on both sides but its still making me wonder

Treasure Map has an ability on both sides.

Only include if you have a Mind Break fetish.

They chose not to so you could have multiple squirrel lords

The characteristics of the flipside of a flip card only exist while it's on the battlefield and flipped. If you want to search your library for a legendary creature, you can't find Akki Lavamancer or Tok-Tok, Volcano Born. If you exile Kenzo the Hardhearted with Duplicant, Duplicant will be a 1/1. In short, no, Mairsil does not get the abilities of the flipside.

Vildin-Pack Outcast // Dronepack Kindred
Ulvenwald Captive // Ulvenwald Abomination

Hiding your decklist is maximum Dimir flavor

Oh also, since kind of reminded me that you might have meant DFCs, the same is true for them. Only the front side has any identifiable characteristics when it's not transformed on the battlefield.

>finally built wort goblin storm
>triple cast a faithless looting to triple cast a gamble next turn, then storm out with past in flames
>got to win with triple kicked urzas rage and double kindred charge
Holy shit wort is amazing

X's first ability says it can activate its abilities from a hand if it's being revealed in its owner's opponent's hand specifically. Explain to me how you activate his 3UB ability targeting a card in a hand he's in, if he's in your hand.

>put into opponents hand when empty
>save mana and use its 3ub ability each time they draw a card, casting it to your side
>rinse and repeat, soft-locking your opponent out of the game

Building Wort as well and I can't fucking wait for holidays so i can have time to play this deck. It looks like a god damn blast!

Hey /EDHG/

Where the fuck do you get those small white cardboard boxes that have a folding flap. Retailers use them all the time to sell boxes of 100 to 200 bulk rares and uncommons? They make the best customizable deck boxes ever

>Conspire Howl of the Horde
>Plow Under

Comic book shops.
Or you could order them.

ebay.com/itm/BCW-400-Count-Storage-Box-Sports-Card-Gaming-Card-Box/302554403975?hash=item4671a5d487:g:kRoAAOSwzppaIzkD

They're probably just bcw boxes. Amazon or game store.

200 count boxes were what i wanted but fuck i don't need 100 and I don't want pay $5 a box. I'll check with the local hobby/game stores. Thank you

IMHo these are again super awesome deck boxes. They hold a whole sleeved commander deck, the commander, a few tokes, and some life die. You can also write and draw all over them and they are fairly compact and durable

>have opponent's X commander in my hand
>I cast Timetwister
>opponent argues that it ends up in his command zone due to the MTGcommander.net rules
>I argue that it ends up in my library because 903.9
Fuck this gay format having conflicting rules

My buddy has a jund lands deck, with Xira at the helm. From my experience, all you people whining about no jund land commander are dumb. Jund lands doesn't need a commander, it regularly beats most decks, no need to cast Xira. Our meta is pretty strong, and we go to the lgs sometimes and Xira fucks people up regardless of what they're playing.

Ad: His jund lands deck is not budget by any means.

Triple cast? Just remember that conspire gets you at most one extra copy.

>no jund land commander
Where did I ask for one? Sure, there are people who wants jund land commander, but I'm not of them. I love jund colors, but as they are now, I think their legends are pretty meh, nothing really fun.

>attempting to rule-lawyer Silver-Bordered cards

Demons

>6 mana
>rare
>only counts your graveyard
>sac/tap requirement
>doesn't even have trample
I'll take Hunted Horror, thanks.

>cards forced into the format
>judges be like

I am ANGRY
Angry about the lack of trample on playable hydras

R8 my mana disruption m8.

>Hydras and Sphinxes are the blue and green """"""""iconics""""""""" because they're the closest those colors have to just fucking dragons

Pardic Miner seems kinda bad unless you have a lot of recursion. Ghost Quarter is mana disadvantage unless your playing against hyper-competitive decks that have no basics.
And were is your blood moon? 5/10 okay disruption package.

>>Thread Question
gargoyle would be cool. they need to develop them thematically better though. for the most part they seem to be artifacts or artifact creatures that either turn into creatures or lose defender and gain flying.

hoping cephalids come back in dominaria. they could easily become more dimir or esper.

yeah i don't think anybody is going to let you reveal it from the command zone. now that you mention it tho, i'm kind of surprised wotc would print a card like this which interacts to poorly with edh. i thought after grandeur they were more aware than that.

I'd run other things but Hydra's play so well with Kruphix's mana-banking ability and I like the vaguely flavorful use of them with my Theros block commander.
Also Eldrazi are expensive and my playgroup thinks annihilator is anti-fun.

Need as many dwarves as possible. I suppose I could swap him out for Blood Moon. Any other disruption effects I could include in here?

there are some good trample hydras. managorger, primordial, domesticated, lifeblood, & scourge of skoka vale could all have a place in kruphix.

alternatively you could just give your stuff trample. brawn is a favorite of mine. primal rage. nylea. triumph of the hordes.

Is it a good idea to run cards like Evolving Wilds and Teramorphic Expanse to thin your deck and fetch out basics?

Pyromancers goggles my friend

i do this in one of my decks that revolves entirely around milling through my library without hitting lands

but otherwise. no. it's not worth it. unless you would need the mana fixing anyway.

Does it need more recurssion?

you should just post the whole list user. (you probably need more)

you have to play a lot of fetches to make it work, on average you can only get enough fetching to thin about 5% of your deck in edh unless youre 5 color and depending on how the rest of your mana base is you might be paying 1/4-1/3 of your hp for minimal deck thinning. You can use a hypergeometic calculator to figure out the exact amount of thinning but it generally wont be worth the cost unless youre already playing green and using other land tutors.

Taking suggestions for my shitty Un-commander

tappedout.net/mtg-decks/phoebe-commander-of-sneak/

>hydra
>green iconic

Un/10
wouldnt play with

I'm sorry, I didn't see the wurm on the packaging for ICONIC Masters

still just a knock-off dragon either way

Wurms arent knockoff dragons, theyre dune references etched into the lore

I'd fucking love that

There is literally a single wurm that doesn't have wurm in it's name

I don't know if that's stupid or cool

Swap out the 4 or so uncards and pretend the commander is pic releated.
Pheobe isn’t that broken either way, she doesn’t keep stuff when she leaves, and stuff re-entering regains it’s text. And is blockable by anything she steals. It’s probably not even as degenerate as my mairsil deck.

In chronological order:
>Henge Guardian
>Saltskitter
>Vastwood Gorger
>Belligerent Whiptail
>Canopy Gorger
>Soul Swallower
>Cowl Prowler
>Serpentine (augment)

He probably looked up wurm so that's all it showed him
What a loser lmoa

Stupid question, but I want to make sure:
>permanently
Does she accumulate stolen text boxes, or does she replace a previously stolen text box when she steals another text box?

Which reminds me, between her and Kraj, does anyone who runs either ever use Spy Kit? Or do affects and abilities that refer to (Specific Name of the Card) just adapt to whatever creature card is stealing or mimicking them?

Accumulates them.

houserule that the ability goes up with commander tax maybe? Or perhaps that it costs 2B?

placingstickinbikespokeswhileriding.jpg

>Fucking Un-players.

You're being lazy. Commit to somehow putting it into your hand, or don't bother. Command Beacon exists.
I hope your group doesn't let you do that.