lmgtfy.com/?q=oerth
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Ponyfinder Equestria.

Isn't that technically pathfinder

Does Golarion count?

Yours

Forgotten Realms

This, with Dragonlance at second place.

Seconding this. It's the posterboy for D&D's generic mishmash clusterfuck fantasy, and drowning in it's own largely useless lore and superspecial DMPOCs

Is there a difference?

And don't forget blatant author fetishes!

Forgotten Realms is basically a wild west setting with fantasy tropes on top. It baffles me that people complain about it being a "generic medieval not Europe" setting when it's not even remotely. It's city states separated by wilderness. There's almost no actual kingdoms. The societal norms are basically modern America.

And yes, it's also huge clusterfuck of lore and NPCs.

>no Martians

Planescape

As much as I hate that map, I cringe at how wrong it is in so many different areas.

We can never forget those. We try, but we cannot.

You can find Martians in the desert. You can find Treants there, too.

Those map labels rustle my jimmies.
That map is culturally uniform. And a very strange culture at that.

Those towns are full of undead, the sky is full of ethereal demons, and every lord rides out of his castle to joust any travelers in sight.
Wizards geas away any guests to their towers. Alignments can change on a whim, but the Clergy kill those of opposed alignment.
The mountains are full of caveme. The rivers are full of sea monsters. There are dinosaurs in the swamps, but you'll never find them.

To answer you question, Planescape is the worst published setting I've played in. Forgotten Realms is a close second.

>Planescape is the worst published setting I've played in
Don't be such a contrarian, skerples.

>Those towns are full of undead, the sky is full of ethereal demons, and every lord rides out of his castle to joust any travelers in sight.

As it should be. Original Setting made a lot of sense.

Planescape is charming, in a retarded sort of way. It reminds me of the sort of thing I might have come up with in my youth. I mean that weird combination of 90's edgesnark, babby's first philosophy, and whimiscal wacky shit, filtered through D&D's totally unfitting alignment ssytem

/thread

He's either asleep or at work. I think I share his time zone (PST?), so he's probably at work.
If you like Sigil, maybe present a case for enjoying thinly spread, overly-grassy butter?

Points of Light.

That seems like cheating. PoL isn't so much a setting as the lack of one.

High school level philosophy and weird art doesn't make a good setting. It lucked out and got a good game despite the setting not because of the setting. Also the Great Wheel is retarded.

>Original Setting made a lot of sense.
pls elaborate, I've read the little document describing ODnD setting, but id like your take on it

The 3 little brown books well, mostly just the third and the supplements bake a whole bunch of setting details into mechanics.

Forgotten Realms
Planescape
Yours

Take your pick.

I would vote for Greyhawk. It has all the generic dullness that people complain about with Forgotten Realms, but even more boring.

More offensive to me personally, it has an absolutely atrocious naming scheme. Forgotten Realms does the annoying WordOtherword thing, but half the names in Greyhawk look like a Scrabble hand.

Furyondy?
Nyrdyv?
Tringlee?
Antalotol?

Seriously, go fuck yourself with those names.

>Furyondy?
>Nyrdyv?
>Tringlee?
>Antalotol?

They all play in NBA, right?

who cares?

greyhawk, forgotten realms, and eberron are servicable
golarion is less so

I like certain things about each but I would change parts of all of them if I ran them.

I like Greyhawk specifically because it's an actually conventional setting that doesn't seem horribly artificial. Forgotten Realms, by contrast, is certainly conventional fantasy, but doesn't even try to go for the pseudo-medieval/renaissance SETTING that Greyhawk goes for, and it feels disgustingly fake. There's nothing wrong with conventional fantasy as long as it's a decent setting.

>naming scheme

You're cherry-picking, there. Plenty of more reasonable ones, too - Duntide, Nesser, Irongate, Celadon, and so forth. At least there's some modicum of creativity even in the retarded ghetto names.

In short: Greyhawk is standard, conventional fantasy done right, and Forgotten Realms its exact opposite.

Forgotten Realms

The history and cosmology are retarded and its plagued with the annoying influence of certain mary sues

everybody is required to say Forgotten Realms but they really mean Dragonlance

Forgotten Realms may be an unwieldy mess, but Dragonlance is a god forsaken cringefest

yep

this is correct
its so bad that i always forget about it

True, but it is largely dead. Wotc keeps trotting out FR's rotting corpse every few years just to remind people, and now it's bsically the default setting for 5e. Meanwhile when's the last time they even acknowledged Dragonlance?

The only right post.

People like to play up the river for travel, but almost no settlements are on it.
Wilderness Adventure is also a lot safer than people make it out to be.
You roll for Wandering Adventures, not Wandering Encounters. You can usually ignore them or approach on your own terms.

The only thing I can't make heads or tails of is how common dragons are, considering how far they can travel in a day.
Do you run into the dame dragon repeatedly? Maybe they aren't territorial? Or have some sort of society?

You're also better off dragging corpses into the dungeon than across the countryside. MUCH easier to find high-level Clerics there.

>In short: Greyhawk is standard, conventional fantasy done right

When you talk about Greyhawk, are you talking about original Greyhawk, or From The Ashes Greyhawk? I'm guessing original. I know little about either, but it seems like they both have their plusses and minuses.

So... anyone want to give a breakdown of wtf this one is talking about?

I'm familiar with "here be adventures" is... waterdeep.... and friends?

>Greyhawk is standard, conventional fantasy done right
I agree that standard fantasy can be done right, but Greyhawk is not standard fantasy done right.

Earth

what is then?

If we're talking standard fantasy as not being limited to late medieval fantasy, then Arthurian shenanigans, Mercury, and Middle-Earth. If we are limiting to late medieval fantasy, then I can't think of any. That doesn't mean it doesn't exist, just that I can't think of it. I guess Titan was fun to play through, but you never got a good enough view of it to make a judgement of its worldbuilding.

It really isn't though, even though it's not very original it still has a few things going for it and it's not nearly as bland as the Critical Role campaign setting. Plus, it lets you play as any of the races in Pathfinder or 5e so you can play as a human, whereas all other mlp TTRPGs make you play as a pony character.

"Here be adventures" is Varisia. That's not a D&D setting, Waterdeep is nowhere in sight.

I'd take it over Earth in a Brooklyn accent

>I'd take it over Earth in a Brooklyn accent
?

lmgtfy.com/?q=oerth

It's officially pronounced "or"+"th", but I only ever hear people say it "oy"+"th"

From what I have seen Greyhawk is very clearly written without any knowledge of history, but with a hand that is very confident in their ignorance. I can easily see how D&D ended up with nonsensical weaponry and such from it.

user, you're supposed to use that site as a passive-aggressive response to someone asking something that can be easily googled. Obviously, this cannot be easily googled.

Oyth

>That's not a D&D setting,
It actually is, there were Golarion adventures for 3.5 before Pathfinder was a thing.

Books?

From the Major Ones;
Adventure wise its Dragonlance since there aren't enough good adventures and much of the setting remains an unknown but the bad sense of it. Tons of novels though.

As a settings its Planescape, the setting suffers both from lack of adventures and as a setting it has too much weirdness that makes the rare and amazing things a commonality, so it can be great if you make alterations and put lots of effort into it.

But Spelljammer takes the cake if you consider it a major setting.

Having read the god awful novels... yeah.Yeah. We all want to hate on Drizzt, but goddamn. They made a beard a fucking plot point.

Did TSr or WotC publish those adventures?

Golarion is definitely the most generic. They literally constructed it to contain most conceivable sub-genres of fantasy. It's a world where walking a few hundred miles can drastically alter the genre you're in.

>Tell the guys to meet up for a gurps game
>Let them know setup will be slow but super worth it
>They are all marketing guys ala Mad Men
>Its in an office in the 60's
>Make a Cthulu reference
>The hype is real
>They start to "Feel an unnatural force"
>Time for a meeting
>Literally just get them to try and sell me pineapple salsa
>One guy farts and gets fired
>Session ends

They just played dudes who were bad at selling things and spent their free time daydreaming about Lovecraftian horrors before almost shitting themselves in front of the board of directors and getting fired

>"I'm basing my campaign on a book I read"

This shit every time without fail.

Was waiting for this post

At least your DM reads books, much more common is
>"I'm basing my campaign on [flavor of the month anime]!"

I know it's a clusterfuck, but I love Forgotten Realms. Fite me.

nah you will cheat by blinding me with the light reflecting off your fivehead

Hey, fuck you!
Keep Dragonlance out of it!

>t. Kender

It shames me to admit that I played one of those, once.

Admittedly he was a paladin of Ratatosk, the Squirrel god.
And he had a riding dog before such were a thing.
And the only thing he ever "stole" was a stone that had the amazing ability to glow faintly, and he only stole it long enough to use as a shooter in a game of keepsies with some kids, after which he returned it.

Still a fucking kender, though.

Honestly I sometimes do this.
I base the shorter campaigns on movies that I like.
Depends on what I think the players will enjoy whether it's more RP heavy, or combat heavy. For my combat heavy three session campaigns I like to use shoot em up westerns and action films.

your homebrew

...I dig it.

W-what are you supposed to base it on?

An anime that your friend described to you while drunk.

This, but unironically. Also works for any other medium.

so, correct it!

You mean Tika? because really who was buying Caramon as hetero?

Definitely, 100% 4e base setting called Points of Light

>no fetishes
>no mary sues
>justifies existence of adventurers
>justifies monster-filled wilderness
>justifies treasure-filled dungeons
>no "deep lore" mountain of shit that you have to read before you can use it

I can think of a lot worse, user.

>What is the worst D&D setting?
You're homebrew

So you're saying you don't want a setting.

>no fetishes
scalies

I'm saying it's a lightweight setting that you can build on to suit your table, and that alone makes it better than a lot of other settings, so calling it the worst is wrongheaded.

"Someone might fap to something in this" is unavoidable, you just have to live with it or else create a minimalist setting of grey featureless blobs that never do anything. And someone will probaby fap to that, too.
No, I can ignore that. What bothers me is the feeling of "the guy who wrote this did so with one hand" which is what you get with a lot of Ed Greenwood's output, for example. A noticeable chunk of the Pathfinder stuff reads the same way.

Your barely comprehensible dreams.